Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ultraman

2nd Link Run 2007

Just called the tourism office. The lady said they have not received anything (no forms no nothing) yet. Told me to call Sports Council? Hmmm...

so there goes my plan of registering today :(

Shifu.. m joining scm42 in dec. Was thinking maybe I can condition myself (mental) by joining the 42km in this race.. at least I mentally prepare myself for the distance.. is that good thing to do or I just stick to 21km?

what if you get too mentally AND physically exhausted after the 42km?? then no energy left to do the dec one anymore!!

Just called the tourism office. The lady said they have not received anything (no forms no nothing) yet. Told me to call Sports Council? Hmmm...

so there goes my plan of registering today :(

Shifu.. m joining scm42 in dec. Was thinking maybe I can condition myself (mental) by joining the 42km in this race.. at least I mentally prepare myself for the distance.. is that good thing to do or I just stick to 21km?

what if you get too mentally AND physically exhausted after the 42km?? then no energy left to do the dec one anymore!!

wow that will be bad!!! *shivers* hahaha.. was told by my bro that the last 10km is purely mental strength that's why I was thinking if I try out once then I won't be dead shock in dec lor :P

My friend,

It is not advisable to do a full 42.195km less than 1 month before SCM2007. It may affect your quality, performance and health, especially when this is your 1st marathon? (correct me if I am wrong?)

If you are keen, drop by at MR on 4th Nov (Sunday) at 7.00am to do the 35km run? Then 1 week later do a 21km either at 2nd link or else where. You can still continue to do long run about 20km range up till 1 week before SCM, but do not do anything beyond as it shall make your body stress out. Again, don't over do it. Each LSD training be it 20km or 30km etc is subject to each individual's ability and capacity. It does not mean that when someone did 35km in the training, you must also follow the same, you hear? By the way, both Bug and Realrunner are from higher class of running school, we cannot follow their pace or we shall get injury.

The rule is simple, always always listen carefully to our body. When it is time to rest, we rest!

Cheers.

Ultra

My friend,

It is not advisable to do a full 42.195km less than 1 month before SCM2007. It may affect your quality, performance and health, especially when this is your 1st marathon? (correct me if I am wrong?)

If you are keen, drop by at MR on 4th Nov (Sunday) at 7.00am to do the 35km run? Then 1 week later do a 21km either at 2nd link or else where. You can still continue to do long run about 20km range up till 1 week before SCM, but do not do anything beyond as it shall make your body stress out. Again, don't over do it. Each LSD training be it 20km or 30km etc is subject to each individual's ability and capacity. It does not mean that when someone did 35km in the training, you must also follow the same, you hear? By the way, both Bug and Realrunner are from higher class of running school, we cannot follow their pace or we shall get injury.

The rule is simple, always always listen carefully to our body. When it is time to rest, we rest!

Cheers.

Ultra

rainn, ultra sifu is absolutely right... it is not advisable for someone who have never done a marathon before to do a 2nd one just one month after her 1st one... you need to allow your body to recover from your 1st marathon...

hmmm... suddenly i'm interested in doing this one... :P

Thanks all for the advice..

Yup this yr's gonna be my first marathon. Have not done a proper 20km in one run yet.. but intend to start coming week or so. So far have only done 10k a few times a week.

So anyone signed up for this Tuas 2nd link yet? Shall call the tourism office again nxt wk to see if we can sign up already or not :)

Yup this yr's gonna be my first marathon. Have not done a proper 20km in one run yet.. but intend to start coming week or so. So far have only done 10k a few times a week.

So anyone signed up for this Tuas 2nd link yet? Shall call the tourism office again nxt wk to see if we can sign up already or not :)

Sign up for the 42k but run up till 35k and drop out. Its killing 2 birds with one stone. On one hand you clock your 35k longest run mileage, on the other hand, its done under race environment with water stations, mobile toilets etc. Its a good simulator for the actual SCSM plus its not expensive.

Sign up for the 42k but run up till 35k and drop out. Its killing 2 birds with one stone. On one hand you clock your 35k longest run mileage, on the other hand, its done under race environment with water stations, mobile toilets etc. Its a good simulator for the actual SCSM plus its not expensive.

how to go back to the ending point then ? Walk all the way back ???

how to go back to the ending point then ? Walk all the way back ???

you "black out". then ambulance will give you free ride back.. :Big Grin:

Unfortunately......I doubt if they would serve you the same as what SCM would in term of facilities/logistics; and there is hardly any trees around at those runway, thus you will get directly hit by the sun. For the season runners are ok, but new comers are better to take extra care if they would really wish to do a full run. And not to forget about the transportation, you don't get a free ride back to the starting point unless........ :Nail Biting: Don't "play play".....:sweat:

Unfortunately......I doubt if they would serve you the same as what SCM would in term of facilities/logistics; and there is hardly any trees around at those runway, thus you will get directly hit by the sun. For the season runners are ok, but new comers are better to take extra care if they would really wish to do a full run. And not to forget about the transportation, you don't get a free ride back to the starting point unless........ :Nail Biting: Don't "play play".....:sweat:

well i wont know how well or badly organised the 2nd link runs are since i've not ran b4. But the question to be asked is are you training to run a marathon or are you training to run the standard chartered maratathon. If its a marathon you are expecting to be trained for, then you have to factor in all possible outcomes including that of handling lousy logistics, inadequate water points, hitting direct by the sun etc regardless are you seasoned or new comer.

Seasoned or beginner, I still believe if one have the chance, to prepare your LSD under race environment is really alot more benefiting than doing it on your wkend alone/with groups due its effects for mental preparation. Unless you are talking about a runner who is really good in imagery and is able to generate his own race conditions in his mind while training his LSD, alot of runners who are not trained in sports psychology aint really able to do that.

Of course, it is up to the individual discernment how much one can take the distance.

i'm interested in doing this, as a training/final LSD before SCSM. but am considering walking the first 10km before running the remaining 32km.

Reasons for this are:

a ) dont want to run 32k then walk 10km, cos that may condition my brain to do the same during SCSM

b ) if i start by running, may not have the discipline to stop at 32k as intended, & then in the process cause too much damage by running too far & cant recover in time.

wat do u guys think?

Oh, also, anybody done the 2nd link run before when organised by M'sia? Travelling logistics how ah? eg coach/parking if driving, etc?

i'm interested in doing this, as a training/final LSD before SCSM. but am considering walking the first 10km before running the remaining 32km.

Reasons for this are:

a ) dont want to run 32k then walk 10km, cos that may condition my brain to do the same during SCSM

b ) if i start by running, may not have the discipline to stop at 32k as intended, & then in the process cause too much damage by running too far & cant recover in time.

wat do u guys think?

Oh, also, anybody done the 2nd link run before when organised by M'sia? Travelling logistics how ah? eg coach/parking if driving, etc?

I joined 2nd link run before and it was organized by Malaysia.

The organizers provided free shuttle bus at the 2nd link customs and brought us right to the race site.. (If you have taken public transport, SMRT 950 or SBS 171, its the same.... Alight at both customs respectively to stamp your passport etc)

They had bag deposit for us but it just a mere huge (red) plastic bag tightened with fastener. I deposited my bag together with my passport. (Didn't want to carry my passport and run!)

Frankly speaking, it was a very tough race. The entire 21km was on highway... lots of slopes. You could practically see "hills and hills" ahead of you. Kinda boring and HOT. The air was bad as well since you will be running beside the traffic. Good thing is they had lots of water points and sponges stops. They even have those St john school kids along the way to massage your legs if you had cramps.

After the run, we were treated to free nasi lemak, 100 plus, tidbits.. etc. They had outdoor shower too, to cool yourself down after the run. I remembered first 50 runners were given finisher medals and haha, I think less than 50 ladies took part in the 21km cat, so everyone has a medal.

Then there was free shuttle bus provided back to Singapore as well.

Oh.. yes, prizes were pretty interesting. There were fridges, TVs, electrical appliances etc.. Top 20 runners in each were given a HUGE hamper each (which I lug home all the way from Johor).

I am not sure if its the same this year..

I am interested in 42km this time.. anyone's going??

I joined 2nd link run before and it was organized by Malaysia.

The organizers provided free shuttle bus at the 2nd link customs and brought us right to the race site.. (If you have taken public transport, SMRT 950 or SBS 171, its the same.... Alight at both customs respectively to stamp your passport etc)

They had bag deposit for us but it just a mere huge (red) plastic bag tightened with fastener. I deposited my bag together with my passport. (Didn't want to carry my passport and run!)

Frankly speaking, it was a very tough race. The entire 21km was on highway... lots of slopes. You could practically see "hills and hills" ahead of you. Kinda boring and HOT. The air was bad as well since you will be running beside the traffic. Good thing is they had lots of water points and sponges stops. They even have those St john school kids along the way to massage your legs if you had cramps.

After the run, we were treated to free nasi lemak, 100 plus, tidbits.. etc. They had outdoor shower too, to cool yourself down after the run. I remembered first 50 runners were given finisher medals and haha, I think less than 50 ladies took part in the 21km cat, so everyone has a medal.

Then there was free shuttle bus provided back to Singapore as well.

Oh.. yes, prizes were pretty interesting. There were fridges, TVs, electrical appliances etc.. Top 20 runners in each were given a HUGE hamper each (which I lug home all the way from Johor).

I am not sure if its the same this year..

I am interested in 42km this time.. anyone's going??

tks for sharing ur experience. am abit worried abt organisastion (eg water points, route, etc) So u were top 20? Wah i dun mind winning a frdige, so cool, haha!

if driving from s'pore how, got parking nearby or not.

called the tourism office again today... no news yet :( was told to call back beginning Nov.

anyone here signed up for this one yet?

looks like singapore registration not open yet? hmm wonder if they really can organise a good marathon within such a short period of time...

Have written to SSC on the matter and here is their response .

To: eugene_ng100@yahoo.com.sg

Sent: Thursday, 25 October 2007 11:14:52

Subject: 2nd link

Hi Eugene,

Thank you for your feedback and concern.

We are scrambling bcos of the short timeframe as they have a new Organiser who came in "to rescue the event ".

Fyi, we just gotten the reprinted entry forms this week due to the change of the route and the revised fees. We are waitng for the delivery of the T shirts and number tags to start registration.

Yesterday, at the organising committee mtg, I have updated them on the situations and they will update their website and is finalising the shuttle bus service in JB.

From Singapore, we have arranged with the Singapore Athletic Assn for the pax transfers to be from Bt Gombak Stadium.

Btw, can i have your mailing address to send you the entry form.

regards

Md Zulkifli

Manager high Participation Division

Sports Marketing Group

DID 63409582

Have written to SSC on the matter and here is their response .

To: eugene_ng100@yahoo.com.sg

Sent: Thursday, 25 October 2007 11:14:52

Subject: 2nd link

Hi Eugene,

Thank you for your feedback and concern.

We are scrambling bcos of the short timeframe as they have a new Organiser who came in "to rescue the event ".

Fyi, we just gotten the reprinted entry forms this week due to the change of the route and the revised fees. We are waitng for the delivery of the T shirts and number tags to start registration.

Yesterday, at the organising committee mtg, I have updated them on the situations and they will update their website and is finalising the shuttle bus service in JB.

From Singapore, we have arranged with the Singapore Athletic Assn for the pax transfers to be from Bt Gombak Stadium.

Btw, can i have your mailing address to send you the entry form.

regards

Md Zulkifli

Manager high Participation Division

Sports Marketing Group

DID 63409582

:Nail Biting: Although this year I can't make it, but this sort of reply gives me no confidence to join next year. The event is on 11 November and it is already 25 October :Nail Biting:

:Nail Biting: Although this year I can't make it, but this sort of reply gives me no confidence to join next year. The event is on 11 November and it is already 25 October :Nail Biting:

Next year will be organised by the Singapore side. So, chances are they would put up a better show. So, can consider it next year.

Next year will be organised by the Singapore side. So, chances are they would put up a better show. So, can consider it next year.

but if singapore organised, it will be only 10k.

Hopefully the organiser next year can consider a slightly longer distance (15 to 25 km) as the roads around Tuas area could be close on weekend.

Cheers

If I recall correctly, the inaugural one organised by the Singapore side and in which I participated had a 20km route???