Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SuperGal

21st MOUNT KINABALU INTERNATIONAL CLIMBATHON CHALLENGE 2007

The Mt. Kinabalu International Climbathon has made its reputation as "The World's Toughest Mountain Race" is a true challenge to the spirit of human endurance. The race involves running up and down Mt. Kinabalu (4095.2 m) - Malaysia's First World Heritage Site, a total distance of 21 KM for both Men and Women category.

Climbathon first started in 1987 where its origin can be traced on Sabah Parks intention to have rapid rescue squad - a team of rangers who can bring down injured climbers fast (especially useful during bad weather when helicopters can't be used.) It was all Malaysian affairs for a year until it was open to international participants. Sabah Tourism Board took over to organize this event in 1995.

It is now popular among the European mountain runners. They form the majority members in the World Mountain Running Association (WMRA), whose patron is the International Amateur Athletic Federations (IAAF).

The 15th World Mountain Running Trophy 1999 was held on the 19th September 1999 and involves running around a 12km route around Kinabalu Park (The Climbathon is running up and down Mt.Kinabalu itself). 367 participants and officials from about 33 countries took part. The 13th Mt.Kinabalu International Climbathon was held one week later, attracting a total of 116 international participants and 97 Malaysians. In 2004, Climbathon has been endorsed as one of the 7 official races of the Federation of Sport at Altitude for the Skyrunning World Championship Circuit (racing on high altitude). A total of 247 participants (men category: 126. women category: 51. and veteran men: 70.) came for the ultimate endurance test.

Now...Are you tough enough to face 2007 Climbathon?

For more information on the 20th Mt. Kinabalu International Climbathon, visit this link: http://www.sabahtourism.com

Having seen and heard so much about the Climbathon, how about challenging yourself and be part of the NTUC team to race to the summit with us in the 21st Mt. Kinabalu International Climbathon 2007?

Send us your contact details and you will be hearing from us soon for the selections to be part of this largely sponsored challenge by NTUC Club and other supporting sponsors! For enquiries, please call 6589 2130 or email at enquiry@snw.com.sg

Note: Nominated participants will be under a seven months training stint administered by NTUC Club.

For more information,log into http://www.snw.com.sg/whatshot/body_whatsh...fm.aspx?ID=2316

hmm.. wonder if i try shld for it.

Dream - whats the format of the selection?

it looks pretty brutal! how long u took to finish this yr? :sweat:

Stazla... U shd go try it out.. Yulan is doing it again.. She will guide U.. :) I believe that with yr toughness, finishing in the cut-off time is not problem for U.. :Party:

How the selections is done ? I means is there any trial to test your climbing or running experience or not ?

I encourage you to try for the experience :cheers:

the training is very long leh, can siam along the way or not !

Ronnie.... aiyoh, U like that shout yr intentions... :nope: NTUC ppl do read this forum.. <_< For the men Open category, the cut off time is very difficult to finish unless one is like Sim who can do 35-38min for 10km... even for him, he summit -ed in 2 hr 37min ( which is 7 mins off ) but he was fast on his down-hill n managed to complete within te cut off... :smilie_daumen1:

Just go for the experiences n see what u are made of.... :devil:

http://www.sabahtourism.com/climbathon06/h...2006result.html

stazla,

the selection is based on 2 key factors... the candidate's overall fitness level, and his/her commitment to regular training. I was pretty regular at the trainings, although I didn't quite enjoy a lot of the stairs-climbing :redface:

There is a trial conducted/sponsored by NTUC, and then there is the final climb/run in Oct. I did the whole thing up/down in 6hr15min, missing the cutoff time for veteran section of 6hr. However, I did complete the whole thing and summit-ed, and took my time to come down lah :lol: . It was a good experience for me. I won't mind doing it again, but maybe a few years later. Let those who are first-timers experience the 'toughest mountain race in the world' first :cool_grin:

Stazla, Ronnie and other SgRunners: I would say you all would meet with the criteria for selection, and as long as you can commit to the training, I don't see why you cannot make it a 'race of a different kind' for yourselves.

GO FOR IT. CLIMB IT. DO IT.

stazla,

the selection is based on 2 key factors... the candidate's overall fitness level, and his/her commitment to regular training. I was pretty regular at the trainings, although I didn't quite enjoy a lot of the stairs-climbing :redface:

There is a trial conducted/sponsored by NTUC, and then there is the final climb/run in Oct. I did the whole thing up/down in 6hr15min, missing the cutoff time for veteran section of 6hr. However, I did complete the whole thing and summit-ed, and took my time to come down lah :lol: . It was a good experience for me. I won't mind doing it again, but maybe a few years later. Let those who are first-timers experience the 'toughest mountain race in the world' first :cool_grin:

Stazla, Ronnie and other SgRunners: I would say you all would meet with the criteria for selection, and as long as you can commit to the training, I don't see why you cannot make it a 'race of a different kind' for yourselves.

GO FOR IT. CLIMB IT. DO IT.

I totally agree with Dream, SgRunners should have no problem with the trainings and trials. It was good to have gone through once (the climbathon race), though I didn't make it to the top (open cat).

Shall be back for the toughest race (up in this region) on the veteran category in 7 years time.... :lol:

Open Cat (men below 40) is VERY tough. IMHO, unless you can do sub 40mins for 10km, you are going to have a hard time making the cutoff time. Likewise, some folks stay and train in Mountain or are natural in climbing, that is a different story.

For us staying in flat ground, it is going to be tough, unless u have a nautral fair for speed.

As mention by DO, Sim is more than capable of 4mins/km and PB of 2:52hr for 42km. He miss the cutoff time of 7mins(2:37hr), i believe is due to not able to train regularly. Another chinese lady that we meet, she has a PB of 2:55hr for 42km, she submitted at 2:17hr.

It is a tough race. Good for experience. :tongue_smilie:

when is the last day to reply to NTUC ?

Send us your contact details and you will be hearing from us soon for the selections to be part of this largely sponsored challenge by NTUC Club and other supporting sponsors! For enquiries, please call 6589 2130 or email at enquiry@snw.com.sg

hmm.. unfortunately i won't be able to commit to the trainings.... so will go on my own...

IMD... sign up with them first... with yr fitness n toughness.... u shd be able cope with all their time trails n trainings. :) Due to yr work schedules..if u can't attend some of their trainings, they will accept that u do yr own makeup trainings, provided u can completed their monthly time trialls to guage yr improvements... which for u .. IS NOT a Problem!!! :cool_grin:

IMD... sign up with them first... with yr fitness n toughness.... u shd be able cope with all their time trails n trainings. :) Due to yr work schedules..if u can't attend some of their trainings, they will accept that u do yr own makeup trainings, provided u can completed their monthly time trialls to guage yr improvements... which for u .. IS NOT a Problem!!! :cool_grin:

What happened if we can't met the monthly time trial, will we get drop off from the team then ?

What happened if we can't met the monthly time trial, will we get drop off from the team then ?

For enquiries, please call 6589 2130 or email at enquiry@snw.com.sg :lol: i guess they will ask u to train harder... no sponsorship for the event loh... ^_^

Thanks guys and gals for the well wishes and encourangement.

The NTUC Club Climbathon Team did very well ... with help from the Gurkhas. Two of them from the men's open came in top 10 with one of them coming in 6th (Tanka). The other three from the men's open were in the top 20 positions. Even their men's veteran participant (Insp Pratap) came in within the men's open cut off time of 4hr 30mins.

Some of you may know Johnson Jacob. He did pretty well too coming in in just under 6 hrs for the men's veteran category.

Me ... one of the local papers reported that I came in 9th in the men's open ... but that of course was incorrect. I sure do hope that they corrected that mistake.

Was actually floored by diarrhea from Friday till just before the flag off on Sunday, 26 Aug. Still attempted the race though. And for those of you who are familiar with the route, I went up to Gunting i.e. just after Laban Rata when the last of the Gurkhas passed me on the way down. By then, I thought that I should make my way down as I didn't want the rest to wait for me.

The Spaniards were really fast this year with the second place finisher passing me (first) on his way down as I hit the 5.5km mark on the way up. He was later overtaken by another Spaniard.

Looking back, the weather was great and I should have done a lot better but for the diarrhea. Even my lesuirely pace recce trip timing was better than the timing achieved during the race. Just felt too tired as I couldn't and didn't have dinner for two consecutive days prior to the race.

Mountain is still there ... so another attempt at it is not unlikely. Perhaps some of you guys would like to do it together in the future. Let me know and we could train together for it.

It was a great experience and one which I may not have attempted but for the support from NTUC Club, Camper's Corner, Tourism Malaysia and all those who have played a part in organising this trip.

Wah.. U guys n Gals did Us Proud... :smilie_daumen1:

Besides, Johnson ... did Mika n Steve completed with the time limit?? <_<

Trecen... yeah, the mountain is always there... mayb, we can do it again someday .. <_<

Btw, Did U take photo with Shwe Ms Sayang Sayang at Laban Rata :Big Grin:

Well done! To do this climbathon is already an achievement. The toughest mountain race in the world.

The NTUC Club Climbathon Team did very well ... with help from the Gurkhas. Two of them from the men's open came in top 10 with one of them coming in 6th (Tanka). The other three from the men's open were in the top 20 positions. Even their men's veteran participant (Insp Pratap) came in within the men's open cut off time of 4hr 30mins.

Some of you may know Johnson Jacob. He did pretty well too coming in in just under 6 hrs for the men's veteran category.

Me ... one of the local papers reported that I came in 9th in the men's open ... but that of course was incorrect. I sure do hope that they corrected that mistake.

Was actually floored by diarrhea from Friday till just before the flag off on Sunday, 26 Aug. Still attempted the race though. And for those of you who are familiar with the route, I went up to Gunting i.e. just after Laban Rata when the last of the Gurkhas passed me on the way down. By then, I thought that I should make my way down as I didn't want the rest to wait for me.

The Spaniards were really fast this year with the second place finisher passing me (first) on his way down as I hit the 5.5km mark on the way up. He was later overtaken by another Spaniard.

Looking back, the weather was great and I should have done a lot better but for the diarrhea. Even my lesuirely pace recce trip timing was better than the timing achieved during the race. Just felt too tired as I couldn't and didn't have dinner for two consecutive days prior to the race.

Mountain is still there ... so another attempt at it is not unlikely. Perhaps some of you guys would like to do it together in the future. Let me know and we could train together for it.

It was a great experience and one which I may not have attempted but for the support from NTUC Club, Camper's Corner, Tourism Malaysia and all those who have played a part in organising this trip.

Well Done Trencen :cheers:

Wah.. U guys n Gals did Us Proud... :smilie_daumen1:

Besides, Johnson ... did Mika n Steve completed with the time limit?? <_<

Trecen... yeah, the mountain is always there... mayb, we can do it again someday .. <_<

Btw, Did U take photo with Shwe Ms Sayang Sayang at Laban Rata :Big Grin:

Nope. Steven made it to the summit (out of the cut off time) and back to the finish line just out of the cut off time. Mika was asked to turn back before she could summit.

Err, take photo with shwe Ms Sayng Sayang at Laban Rata??? No lah. But the Gurkhas did. Two of them went there on Wed, 22 Aug i.e. 4 days before race day.

dare to attempt is an achievement by itself. :smilie_daumen1: Wait till 40 and try again. :tongue_smilie:

Good thing is, I'm not far away from hitting the Golden Boys Club.