starfinder

NUS Giving Run BIG [Virtual Run]

I think the registration fee is very affordable...another virtual race for consideration 😀

NUSRunBig_Cover-696x364.png

Tough runs don’t last, tough runners do. Let’s make history together by being part of NUS Giving Run BIG’s first-ever virtual race! Be a part of this greater movement as they aim to reach 1905KM collectively to commemorate the year NUS was established – building a legacy of giving since 1905. Experience the excitement by participating individually or getting your family and friends on board and run for a good cause.

What is NUS Giving?

The NUS Development Office leads the National University of Singapore’s efforts in the cultivation and stewardship of philanthropic support to the University.

Through NUS Giving, we build enduring relationships with our donors to seed and grow transformational opportunities that create a ripple effect of progress through our communities and the world, transforming lives and empowering change.

NUS Giving Run Big at a glance:

For Categories 5KM /10KM /19.05KM

Dates: 26 September 2021

For Category 190.5KM

Dates: 13 – 26 September 2021 (14 Day Challenge)

Run the race, at your pace and in your own space. You can complete the required distance in your selected challenge/category at your own pace, anytime and anywhere (except for indoor running and the use of treadmill are not allowed) within the clock-in window.

Come RUN BIG with us!

NUS-Giving-Run-BIG_JRL_Price-table_4-102

Your Bragging Rights!

Every registered participant will be entitled to a race pack containing a Running Tee and many other exciting running goodies. On top of that, finishers will also get to walk home with exclusive finisher entitlements like Medal, Digital Certificate, Finisher t-shirt (Only for 10KM, 19.05KM & 190.5KM) and more!

NUS-Giving-Run-BIG_JRL_Runners-entitleme

Do take note that the Race Entitlement (The Running Tee and Recyclable Bag) will be delivered after registration. While the Finisher entitlements (The Medal and Finisher Tee) will ONLY be delivered to the participants after completion of the registered distance, within the clock-in period.

Be the Best Runner and Stand A Chance To Win!

NUS-Giving-Run-BIG_JRL_Run-Prizes_2-1024

To qualify for the run prizes, participants must use MapMyRun to track and submit their run records. The winners for this category are determined by the fastest timing clocked in the respective Challenges.

Yup the entitlements are quite generous considering the registration fees, though I don't like black tees and will probably try and sell them away if I sign up.

Another catch is you will need to select one of the pre-determined routes so its not a run-as-you-wish run. But they have given a number of routes for each distance so chances are you may find a route that is pretty near your place.

Posted (edited)

Registered 190.5KM individual for $15. Thanks starfinder, for the "lobang"..

MapMyRun (only for 190.5KM) is synced/connected with uncle's Garmin smart watch, ready for submission of results from 13 Sep 2021...

NUS-Giving-Run-BIG_JRL_Race.jpg

Another catch is you will need to select one of the pre-determined routes so its not a run-as-you-wish run. But they have given a number of routes for each distance so chances are you may find a route that is pretty near your place.

It is just a guide, do not need to follow actually...

nus-routes.jpg

for uncle @ 190.5KM, Anyplace.

Virtual Challenge/Race is not about it is "affordable", tees look great, finisher medal is nice...

It is about You. Once you are committed, are you able to DIY and complete and finish within the allocated period in multiple submissions/single submission.

From uncle's experience, you must be familiar with the preferred route of your intention; you must also know where the safety route in case of rain/thunder/danger/emergency like toilet breaks; Hydration/nutrition is going to be managed by you. 

For those newbie in virtual challenge/race, please ask in this forum thread the how and what if...how to manage your apps...any tips...

Stay Safe, Stay Strong, and have Fun. 😀

Edited by kohpapa
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, kohpapa said:

Thanks again starfinder... also for OCBC Cycle 2021....42KM free registration some more with medal...

arrived today...

entitlement2d6c3dc763d14457.jpg

Edited by kohpapa

the confusing part is with these 2 statements... so i assume that we can run anywhere but need to load this "anywhere" map onto Mapmyrun app prior to the run and follow it??

1. "You can complete the required distance in your selected challenge/category at your own pace, anytime and anywhere (except for indoor running and the use of treadmill are not allowed) within the clock-in window."

2. STEP 2:
LINK YOUR ROUTE
Select and bookmark the preferred route by clicking on the link in the confirmation email. Log into your MapMyRunApp to connect the route to the app.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

the confusing part is with these 2 statements... so i assume that we can run anywhere but need to load this "anywhere" map onto Mapmyrun app prior to the run and follow it??

1. "You can complete the required distance in your selected challenge/category at your own pace, anytime and anywhere (except for indoor running and the use of treadmill are not allowed) within the clock-in window."

2. STEP 2:
LINK YOUR ROUTE
Select and bookmark the preferred route by clicking on the link in the confirmation email. Log into your MapMyRunApp to connect the route to the app.

MapMyRunApp has the feature of bookmarking your preferred route...watch video..on how to screenshot and submit

nus-route-for-submission.md.jpg

what it means especially for the 190.5KM Challenge, there could be more than one preferred routes... so bookmarked these...load them for your challenge...screenshot and submit...multiple routes for multiple submissions...SCREENSHOT AND SUBMIT what is within the clock-in window.

Edited by kohpapa
Posted (edited)

uncle already synced MapMyRun to garmin...

Run-on-19.jpg

190.5KM mean 4 FMs and 1 HM (2 10K) will do the job...😀

18 May (rain and wet whole day), 19 May (humid but no sun whole day)...uncle already started Challenge checking preferred routes just for Fun...🙂

Edited by kohpapa
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

oh... so means i can just run anywhere using my garmin and sync my garmin to this mapmyrun app... without the need to load preferred route? that is what i prefer.

My understanding is you can either:

1. Use your garmin to sync to mapmyrun and then run anywhere you like

2. Load one of the pre-determined routes by the organiser onto mapmyrun, then use mapmyrun to guide you through the route.

Whether it is 1 or 2, you will need to take a screenshot of mapmyrun and submit manually on 26 Sept.

Thanks kohpapa for clarifying that we don't have to run the pre-determined routes. The instructions are indeed confusing and have to read clearly again to understand.

Edited by beast
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, beast said:

My understanding is you can either:

1. Use your garmin to sync to mapmyrun and then run anywhere you like

2. Load one of the pre-determined routes by the organiser onto mapmyrun, then use mapmyrun to guide you through the route.

Whether it is 1 or 2, you will need to take a screenshot of mapmyrun and submit manually on 26 Sept.

Thanks kohpapa for clarifying that we don't have to run the pre-determined routes. The instructions are indeed confusing and have to read clearly again to understand.

There were some very confusing points when uncle read also about the Terms and Conditions. Hence when autumnrunner and you asked for clarifications, these are good questions on Virtual Race/Challenge which most here are not familiar about because this is the new Norm of Running Races.

Let uncle share a platform that is the easiest to understand...perhaps earning uncle's professional mention as the Local most affordable and best Virtual Race/Challenge event management...

00783a1bdfbe56ab7c.jpg

010aa601d9734d8c63.jpg

Complete.jpg

A submission template was provided....online...simply upload (re-upload).

2021-OCBC-Cycle-Submission80ef937378571f

submit-01.jpg

submit-02.jpg

submit00c5640791e44c2f.jpg

Verified-and-Approved.jpg

ECert7e198fe6cbbacbd3.jpg

Totally seemless, contact-less and automated like there is an AI (Artificial Intelligence) behind...

Delivery for kohpapa, thank you...immediate delivery when race completed...👍

entitlement43404f6c25b49611.md.jpg

Knowing that NUS event is managed by students who are from the sports committee, don't expect them to be event organizer themselves. Simply this is the first time hosting a Virtual Race (Competition with Awards) and Virtual Challenge (for those newbies in Virtual Run)

Runkeeper and Strava app - Single Submission for those who opt for Competition and Rewards. Yes, the routes they stated if preferred is for those who want Competition and Rewards. Importantly, these routes for competition left oute "must not have a downhill" route, for example, imagine uncle starts from the top of Mount Faber or NUS Kent Ridge and run downhill for 5KM, guess uncle will be the Champion over the rest, FairPlay Competition, virtually "right". Technically, in known Global Virtual Race for Fair Play Competition (Ranking), Downhill is not allowed. They even wanted you to state the elevation of your route on your submission results.

Mapmyrun app (Under Armour) seems to be a very well managed app than Strava and Runkeeper.

Firstly, uncle likes the layout of the dashboard...such as..

Run-on-19.jpg

the earlier run is at the bottom, followed by the lastest run on top. Now, this one surely will be good for challenge in multiple submissions. 18th [10KM Challenge], 19th [Full Marathon Challenge]

Secondly, to have the Bookmarks - Preferred Routes you created while you walk and mark the route/practice with run the route/race and challenge the preferred route/load this preferred route and submit...maybe you should give mapmyrun app a try try...

This shall be the Submission Screen for NUS event...

NUS-Giving-Run-BIG_JRL_Race.jpg

Hope NUS event organizer can shed more clues of how uncle is going to submit. Remember, uncle can be for Competition.

So uncle shares here is that if anyone of you would like to take up any distance and especially the 190.5KM catagory, you have to do some preparationary tasks of getting to know your apps, how to use your apps (do you want to plot out your routes and later designated as preferred routes)...then just use this routes (gps) shall surely simply record Time, Distance and Pace. Your preferred route is just a guide, not a must. The app will record according to your current route for submission based on that day only.

This is a new Norm in Run Races, and in uncle's professional belief is that Virtual Race/Challenge with Rewards shall definitely will cause many Regulars like uncle to manipulate the situation, give feedbacks to the Terms and Conditions, you didnt state mah, WTx. So if one should Run the route Downhill and run steps up, and chong again Downhill to make that 10KM looks so easy, unlike the regular NUS hilly routes. Hopefully, Uncle next time will not howlian "Uncle wins big big for NUS 10KM Challenge".

Virtual Race with no Official-in-person to Verify. Surely NUS event will come out with Official-in-person to Verify only for Distances for 10KM and 15KM. Sounded like Run as One Singapore (cancelled because of tighter Covid-19 Measures).

Again, will Official-in-person to Verify be allowed will depends by the Local Health Authority with ActiveSG. Actually there must an important clause, why happens in the event of this tighter measures which "cancel" the event? Is there a refund policy?

All the best to the NUS event organiser (if you are reading here for inspiration and getting feedbacks on the ground like in previous NUS events, they really came here to chat. Uncle previously had chat with them)

Almost monthly, uncle still runs the hilly route of NUS campus from the base of Mount Faber Hill...that is about 10KM route actually to NUS Kent Ridge Campus...

submit-Mount-Faber.jpg

better bookmark this for mapmyrun app as one of preferred routes for 10K...😄

Edited by kohpapa
On 5/21/2021 at 2:32 PM, AutumnRunner said:

i am starting to get a little tired of virtual runs hence would reconsider on this run....

Why would it be tiring if you are aligning this with your usual exercise regime?

E.g. I run 10km every weekend so I just sign up for a 10km and use one of the usual timing to submit. I try not to sign up anything above than 10km.

Unless you mean you are tired of seeing them around (which I also don't understand because only virtual runs can be conducted right now) or you mean trying to save money and signing up for less virtual runs.... But I didn't get the impression that you have been taking part in a lot of virtual runs either...

Posted (edited)

bros, let us not dispute if doing virtual run is for "alignment" of present running workouts/sessions which uncle must admit, YES. Uncle has always "aligned" the distance for specific purpose and goal.

I didn't get the impression that you have been taking part in a lot of virtual runs 

Perhaps, autumnrunner is waiting for the real run, if there is, anytime soon. Respectfully, there are some in this forum who are also waiting for the day, when, no idea.

beast has taken a bold step and decision in 2020 to join ASICS World Ekiden 2020. We had interesting options as runner, 5K, 10K,  totaling the marathon distance with 5 Legs. All Team members are given the chance to challenge themselves in the various distances. We had 3 Teams. That was fun Workout Sessions cum Virtual Race. Of course, uncle sometimes did 2 Legs, because participation rate for anything virtual was low.

Now if we had taken the accumulation of what we did in ASICS World Ekiden 2020, all should have at least done 20KM. We didn't even consider the distance (with time) to prepare, mark out the route, hydration/toilet point, practice, REDO. That could be 50KM in total,

Once, uncle commented to beast noting at his RunKeeper Run Activities, "if you have been preparing 10KM for virtual race, do you know the amount of practices, REDO, walk activities to prepare actually is about 50KM/week?"

Mind vs Physical - Virtual Race, DIY, is never easy. beast has actually learned that, to run faster in a virtual race is even more challenging. 10KM w/o hydration because got to run faster for the Team at World Athletics Cross Country Championships Bathurst 21 Global Challenge in 2021.

DIY Do Your Best can only be motivated by SELF, otherwise, by Team members who will "shout and encourage". Something that if there is no Covid Pandemic, we should be racing with Support - Admin, Hydration, Nutrition, Spectators (some come with live performance). But, that were Pre-Covid-19 days.

Uncle believes also in starfinder who started this fantastic thread, also, was together with beast participated in both ASICS World Ekiden 2020 and World Athletics Cross Country Championships Bathurst 21 Global Challenge. 

So, are you ready to pick the challenges in this event. All of us are willing to share with our experiences and tips on how you can be still race "virtually", stay safe, stay strong, stay motivated, and can still have fun accumulating all the distances which we can then virtual challenge.

Why not give this event a try. 😄

Edited by kohpapa

yah man.... @kohpapagot the gist of my feeling... its mind vs physical bro @beast.

I always enjoy a physical race for many reasons,

1. the race day itself where I am swarmed by runners from all walks of life coming together in the early morning (except for some evening/night races) and toe the start line together. Bonus is to get a PB, which is quite seldom for me in recent years though...

2. Able to critic different races and put down in race blogs so that other runners will be aware of all the details of the race before deciding to take part in the following year / series. 

3. Lastly is the training to get to the race. The feeling of training hard and smart and knowing that you are not alone (can see on race day that runners of all walks of life toe the start line together) and plenty of runners have also put in the miles and train to toe the start line.

These days for virtual races, i still train (either alone or with buddies) but just feel less motivated cause the virtual race itself, is also either alone or with buddies which clearly isnt motivating..

just some quick grumbles before getting ready for a run after work later.... 

Posted (edited)

Perhaps, let uncle sum up your feelings, bro. for 2020 and now almost 2021 (1st Half)..because of Covid-19 pandemic, when all Races (Physical - Run in place) are cancelled.

I spend so much time and effort to do _____ and _____, in the end no changes occur/not appreciated/etc.

Will that stop you from doing anything altogether? Or do you still harbour hope, however slim, that some day something will change, all because you willed yourself to carry it out.

Just do what you feel strongly for, as long as it doesn't harm anyone around you.

捃里äč‹èĄŒïŒŒć§‹äșŽè¶łäž‹

If you don't do any, then where got progress?

VIrtual Race is a new norm, and what others who have started and continued:

started with DIY walking, DIY jogging, DIY running, DIY racing, DIY ultraRun.

Just focus on the Mind vs Physical. Virtual Race is often challenging because DIY is never easy, then just take that as a Challenge. 

beast aligned "workout session" to "racing virtually". If that is motivation, why not also challenge self with a PB. Virtual Race can re-submit anytime until the end of the period. Medal earned with e-Certificate comes with strong-willed with efforts of DIY Race preparation. Price is affordable for participation ("cheap) for there is no cost in Race Marketing, Event Management charges on Admin, Support, Hydration/Nutrition, plus race pack collected often full of "unwanted" marketing pamphlets...complain always...trash.

uncle is aware if there is "nothing much to write much about virtual race", how then to review and critic when every one is running AnyTime AnyPlace.

The reality is no one is so much bothered about the absence of run event reviews because of the Stay Home, Stay Safe, Social Distancing. Tighter measures also mean mass event is definitely a no-no. 8 Max, 5 Max, 2 Max. Better still, Stay Home Alone.

Summing up, Virtual Race is about yourself, is more about the Challenge of how you handle the challenges of DIY in Race (Preparation, Race, and preparing for more) and yet achieving PB.

From uncle's personal and professional experience, in Ultra Distance Virtual Race, 2 out of 3 will DNS and DNF. Uncle always want to be the 1 out of 3 to finish and complete.

Will you want to take that Mind Challenge, how not to be 2 out of 3 who will DNS and DNF. Perhaps uncle has asked the same question to ALL who have yet taken the Virtual Race. Want to try try? 😀

DIY is never easy because many end up failing because they either lost interest or became discouraged. 

i am starting to get a little tired of virtual runs hence would reconsider on this run....

Hopefully, uncle has explained with reasons why that is a common expression of discouragement for most of us who are waiting for the norms of Pre-Covid "Runs in Races" to return. 

Of course, for those who have experienced "Virtual Races/Challenges", we MOVE ON! Progressively. Failing is just part of the game. Getting better results can be submitted again and again until the period of Races/Challenges ends. Who says we must always submit the PB result only once (that is, only in Run Race)?

Just Do It! Stay Positive, Stay Strong, Stay Healthy, Stay Exercise (Run). 😀 

Edited by kohpapa