lonewolf

2XU Compression Run Singapore 2020 -> Postponed to 11 Apr 2021 -> Converted to Virtual Run

Been reading runners comments in the official 2XU FB. Understand their frustrations as 2XU race is not cheap.

I don't expect them to give full refunds as they are not like Sundown or Income Eco, both who have strong financial backing. At least Safari Zoo Run, also organized by Pink Apple, was able to provide partial refund and complement with access to all 4 wildlife parks.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, sicklycat said:

Ok, I read through their FAQ, and found the line I dreaded... It'll be tough for me to do 21k at one go, without drinks station, etc support :sorry:

Screenshot_20210408-183655_Samsung Internet.jpg

How the 🤬 did I miss the most important point? 

Ans: Probably because the FAQ was not updated when I posted my update. :geek:

Yeah, it will be hard for me too given my current level of training. I'm sure it's the same for a lot of other people too. So unless they changed their policy, a lot of registered HM runners will probably end up not running at all. 

Edited by lonewolf
Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2021 at 8:06 PM, sicklycat said:

Ok, I read through their FAQ, and found the line I dreaded... It'll be tough for me to do 21k at one go, without drinks station, etc support :sorry:

Screenshot_20210408-183655_Samsung Internet.jpg

With all the unhappiness bombing Pink Apple FB page, I wondered how likely Pink Apple will rescind this rule and allowed multiple runs.  

Of course, if their system is unable or incapable of accepting multiple results, then I guess it will be untenable. 

Edited by lonewolf

Wait, why is the fees the same as an actual race with support? 

$70 for a medal, a singlet and a T-shirt, and without a race environment and support, is expensive to me.

Glad to see you back, lonewolf. It has been a while. 

On 4/7/2021 at 11:45 AM, lonewolf said:

Pink Apple has been a sort of a 'gold standard' when it comes to organising mass running event. But I feared that their reputation may have been tainted. Most of us are reasonable people. If you explain your stand clearly and rationally, some of us (maybe not 100% but there will be some) will understand and continue to support. 

Stay silent and keep quiet and give us the silent treatment and 100% of us will be pissed at them. :growl:

Sorry but to me Pink Apple has long lost that credibility long ago. 2XU run is one of their pet event every year and I don't think they did a good job in 2019 and a couple of years earlier.

When mass running event opens up again, I can foresee race organizers charging more and cutting even more corners than pre-covid times, which makes participating these runs less attractive than before. So save for a few major events each year, I am probably going to just save my money and run my own virtual races, rather than overpaying for bad race organizations.

1 hour ago, beast said:

$70 for a medal, a singlet and a T-shirt, and without a race environment and support, is expensive to me.

Yeah. Agree. I think it is just a case of the Race Organiser taking the opportunity to chop some carrot heads to make up for the revenue shortfall from COVID.

1 hour ago, beast said:

When mass running event opens up again, I can foresee race organizers charging more and cutting even more corners than pre-covid times, which makes participating these runs less attractive than before. So save for a few major events each year, I am probably going to just save my money and run my own virtual races, rather than overpaying for bad race organizations.

I feared that you are right in your assessment. From the organiser POV, they will say if virtual race (without log support) can charge $70 (for HM), then for a fully supported race, can easily charge 1.5x - 2x more. 

Actually, your post makes me think, what would be a reasonable fee for a HM virtual race? 

Maybe, when I'm free, I would do a comparison with the other HM virtual races. Just to have an idea of the current market rate. 

8 hours ago, lonewolf said:

Yeah. Agree. I think it is just a case of the Race Organiser taking the opportunity to chop some carrot heads to make up for the revenue shortfall from COVID.

I feared that you are right in your assessment. From the organiser POV, they will say if virtual race (without log support) can charge $70 (for HM), then for a fully supported race, can easily charge 1.5x - 2x more. 

Actually, your post makes me think, what would be a reasonable fee for a HM virtual race? 

Maybe, when I'm free, I would do a comparison with the other HM virtual races. Just to have an idea of the current market rate. 

To me, these are the max fees that I find acceptable for local runs. Anything beyond these rates, I would have to think hard and twice if there is any strong reason as to why I should pay more for it (like a route that has rarely been used, attractive finisher item designs etc)

With race support:

10km - $40
21km - $60
42km - $80

Virtual Run: $10 base fees + $10-20 for finisher items + shipping

15 hours ago, beast said:

Glad to see you back, lonewolf. It has been a while. 

That's true...

On 4/9/2021 at 8:58 AM, lonewolf said:

With all the unhappiness bombing Pink Apple FB page, I wondered how likely Pink Apple will rescind this rule and allowed multiple runs.  

Of course, if their system is unable or incapable of accepting multiple results, then I guess it will be untenable. 

I'm not very hopeful they will change their mind though... Let's see!

P/S: I went to check out their FB page, and its mostly participants having issues logging in to verify their particulars, or asking for a refund (coz fees are too high for a VR).

My guess is many may not know yet, that they need to complete the entire distance at one go - especially those who signed up for HM :unknw:

Edited by sicklycat
Posted (edited)

Pink Apple has caved! Now multiple submission is allowed (up to 6 entries)! 

In addition, those who signed up for the race in 2019/2020 will be given a race entry for the next physical race. 

May be an image of 2 people and text that says "CONYSN RUN RUN VIRTUALRUN VIRTUAL For 2XU COMPRESSION RUN 2020 participants who signed up in 2019 and 2020 You will be given free entry to the next physical 2XU Compression Run, pending Government guidance. This includes entry to the race day event, race day timing results, physical race bib, and sponsor items (if any) only. A complimentary spot for the 2XU COMPRESSION VIRTUAL RUN 2021. Please log in (bit.ly/2XUVR /2XUVR .erify) to register."

May be an image of 1 person and text that says "COMHELU RUN RUN VIRTUAL 2XU COMPRESSION VIRTUAL RUN 2021- (2) Submitting Your Entry Entries are allowed to be split up to 6 times when you take part in any of the 2XU COMPRESSION VIRTUAL RUN 2021 race categories (l.e. You may split your 21.1KM run across 6 different runs). All entries must be recorded within the period of 2021. April 2021 to 20 June Qualifying entries are to be submitted within the period of 26 April 2021 to 20 June 2021."

I guess it's part of Pink Apple's effort at damage control and appease some of those who has signed up. Of cos, it's impossible to please everyone but if they made less people unhappy with the above, then I think it's a good move on their part.

Personally, I was not even going to verify my participation because it will be extremely difficult to run a HM distance in one go. Now that we can submit multiple entries, I will definitely it a go. :gym:

Edited by lonewolf
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, lonewolf said:

Pink Apple has caved! Now multiple submission is allowed (up to 6 entries)! 

In addition, those who signed up for the race in 2019/2020 will be given a race entry for the next physical race. 

May be an image of 2 people and text that says "CONYSN RUN RUN VIRTUALRUN VIRTUAL For 2XU COMPRESSION RUN 2020 participants who signed up in 2019 and 2020 You will be given free entry to the next physical 2XU Compression Run, pending Government guidance. This includes entry to the race day event, race day timing results, physical race bib, and sponsor items (if any) only. A complimentary spot for the 2XU COMPRESSION VIRTUAL RUN 2021. Please log in (bit.ly/2XUVR /2XUVR .erify) to register."

May be an image of 1 person and text that says "COMHELU RUN RUN VIRTUAL 2XU COMPRESSION VIRTUAL RUN 2021- (2) Submitting Your Entry Entries are allowed to be split up to 6 times when you take part in any of the 2XU COMPRESSION VIRTUAL RUN 2021 race categories (l.e. You may split your 21.1KM run across 6 different runs). All entries must be recorded within the period of 2021. April 2021 to 20 June Qualifying entries are to be submitted within the period of 26 April 2021 to 20 June 2021."

I guess it's part of Pink Apple's effort at damage control and appease some of those who has signed up. Of cos, it's impossible to please everyone but if they made less people unhappy with the above, then I think it's a good move on their part.

Personally, I was not even going to verify my participation because it will be extremely difficult to run a HM distance in one go. Now that we can submit multiple entries, I will definitely it a go. :gym:

Yippeess!!!

I actually verified my HM participation - Was going to challenge myself, and see if I can ramp up mileage within the event dates. Haha! 80

So now I can choose to still challenge myself, or split it into multiple runs :thumbsup:

I suspected they may cave in on the rule of completing the full distance at one go... But I thought they will just allow maybe 2 different runs? 6 different runs is a huge change!

I feel that with their massive changes, they would have appeased majority of runners, who had issues with high cost of VR... Then again, no one knows for sure if they will hold a physical run anymore! 8)

Edited by sicklycat
16 hours ago, sicklycat said:

I suspected they may cave in on the rule of completing the full distance at one go... But I thought they will just allow maybe 2 different runs? 6 different runs is a huge change!

Yeah. I also think allowing 6 runs is over-generous. A more reasonable number would be 4. But I suppose by allowing up to 6, it is still up to the individual how he want to challenge himself. 

16 hours ago, sicklycat said:

I feel that with their massive changes, they would have appeased majority of runners, who had issues with high cost of VR... Then again, no one knows for sure if they will hold a physical run anymore! 8)

Pink Apple is just kicking the can down the road. 

Imagine giving the 10,000+ runners who registered in 2019/2020 a free entry to the next physical run. That's easily a few hundred K of lost revenue (even if only half take up the offer)

How would they make up for the shortfall? :unknw:Maybe they will charge $50 for a 5K, $75 for 10K and $100 for the HM. :money:

uncle who had made previous posts on this event, and with the following updates made...

2xud12ab8562133c61c.jpg

On 4/17/2021 at 11:02 AM, lonewolf said:

Yeah. I also think allowing 6 runs is over-generous. A more reasonable number would be 4. But I suppose by allowing up to 6, it is still up to the individual how he want to challenge himself. 

Pink Apple is just kicking the can down the road. 

Imagine giving the 10,000+ runners who registered in 2019/2020 a free entry to the next physical run. That's easily a few hundred K of lost revenue (even if only half take up the offer)

How would they make up for the shortfall? :unknw:Maybe they will charge $50 for a 5K, $75 for 10K and $100 for the HM. :money:

Kudo credited : International runners from Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia will be entitled for free mail delivery service.

The shortfall There will be those who sign-up for the Virtual Run in 2021 who will get discount for the next physical run...and many new entrants are from both Local and Overseas for the next physical run...

Yes, Pink Apple has the financial means because they have built up "loyalty" in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia.

For those who have signed up, enjoy up to maximum of 6 submissions...initially Virtual Race [1 submission] which has become Virtual Challenge [multiple submissions]...

submissions start from April 26...according to updates from FB.

Congratulations on your finisher entitlements and a free entry for the next physical run. 😃

The next physical run will be a new normal of future races with Covid-19 Safe Event Management. Again when that happens, we still don't know.

Edited by kohpapa

Good call by Pink Apple to extend to multi submission instead of only one. 

Personally I think people who sign up for 21km mostly can finish 21km at one go. However, for those who are not used to running virtual runs that come with self-supported hydration, some period must be given for such runners to plan and adjust themselves to get used to running the entire 21km on their own. Before the CB/lockdown period, I used to think that doing self-supported runs is challenging and not easy to do, but the CB/lockdown period allowed me to explore and adjust myself to completing virtual runs around my neighbourhood.

So speaking from personal experience, it is do-able and train-able, just that most runners need to go through an adjustment period/phase, and it is probably unreasonable for Pink Apple to ask runners to complete their 21km virtually at one go and giving such short notice to prepare for it.

• Like 1

For long virtual runs, just treat the petrol kiosks, vending machines, mama shops as the "virtual" water stations. The thing here is to plan the route smartly so that one can easily gain access to these "virtual" water stations. Although virtual runs allow one to run "anywhere", one needs to be smart about where they run too.

interestingly, uncle has been virtual races 5K/10K/HM/FM since Nov 2020...

and perhaps give all some tips on this one 21KM or HM...

1) Multiple Submissions - Virtual "Challenges", meaning there is no need to submit One Session Virtual Race. In some of FM events especially WMM events, 1-day 1-session no Pause no Stop. There is no need for this 2XU run.

2) Since there is no need for 1-session 1-submission, means if up to maximum 6... 3-km - 5 km run is reasonably per session.

3) Even for those who want to attempt the 1-session 1-submission, uncle would break into 5km, 7km, 6km, 3km loop...and if necessary, use your HOME as base for anything "Toilet Break", "Hydration" and even "Nutrition" (like for FM) as well as Change of Gears such as shoes, even uncle needs to take a cool shower under extreme hot weather. Good to change to dry clothing or socks. As long as your route is within Home Based, you can always get emergency help with Family/Friends as a standby. Important to have them informed which are the likely routes. As for uncle, 5K/10K/HM/FM is the same 10KM route, just "U" turns just for 5KM, 7KM, 6KM, 3KM. No need ECP. No need Hills. Just make sure, there should not be much interruptions of traffic. Of course, uncle's best time is after 1am - 7am (Sundown timing).

80KM.jpg

4) Weather is very unpredictable, you don't want to get caught with starting a 10km route in a "thundery storm" condition...uncle had encountered several times...bear with the strong wind and heavy rain water bursting to your face, how about your shoes soles come out...then carry your shoes back to Home-based...

shoes.png

change to a backup pair of shoes, change of wet clothing, wet socks...move on...that will be FM when uncle has to do 1-session 1-submission.

5) Toilet break - for both "pee" and "brownies time"...sometimes it is unfortunate, when you least expected...toilets are out-of-order...how about when "brownies" already unbearable that the only way is to "Save the Earth" - release to the Nature. Yes, today is Earth Day...uncle happy to see blooming of flowers where uncle once released "brownies" because uncle really cannot "tahan"...no bad for "Save the Earth"...make sure you leave no evidence of your presence such as CCTV nearby. Scoop up after done, uncle noticed there is no sign for "human poo" so uncle just "run" road.. means run fast fast lah and don't get caught. Again, uncle's best time is after 1am - 7am (Sundown timing)...so every living beings all zzzZZZZ.

Importantly, Pink Apple has responded to feedback that instead on 1-session submission, why not up allowing up to Maximum 6. As a good start for all who has never had any Virtual Run, you just need to submit any evidence of "visual" timings up to Maximum 6.

Good luck everyone, virtual challenges or race can be fun. Like uncle's 1-time 1-submission...

FM.png

uncle had 3 finisher medals in 1...cool right?

2020-finisher.jpg

Edited by kohpapa
  • Like 1

Completed another of "International" 21KM Virtual Race...this one for Budapest, Hungary

1-time submission...

21Kresult.jpg

2 hydration breaks @ 5KM, 13KM 😀

Well, if uncle would have 21K 2XU Race, submission of this one will be good enough.

However, if for maximum of 6 submissions - 2.5KM, 2.5KM, 4KM, 4KM, 4KM and 4KM can do also.

Edited by kohpapa

marathon ones expected - 10, HM - 5 for 2021....priority will always be FM registration...

2021 season for marathon...Asia >> Europe >> America...

kyoto-medal.jpg

this one @starfinder says is very nice, agreed. The Japanese voted for the best design submitted via a contest, and this is their 10-year Anniversary. Limited to 7,100. Uncle needed to register as one of their "locals" to be able to get this one "random" lucky draw 50 out of every 3000 finishers...with Jap address and have it shipped locally...cool right? uncle can bet none local here have this one...because the rule stated "local resident of Kyoto" and with TATTA apps...

Since this forum thread is for 2XU [HM category], uncle doesn't want to be off-topic...and @starfinder...you want to know more...please lah go to our private chat room...uncle already declared "retired" at open forum...

share here is that...Virtual Race finally was decided at 2XU race...many months ago...if you could have accepted and embraced Virtual Race... life moves on just go "virtual race" including venturing overseas lah...while keeping active with how to DIY "virtual race" locally.

Yes, even with the price of 2xu at original price and converted to "virtual race" this is still really expensive in local price...because this is DIY arrangement...

with this price (local price) you paid...uncle could get 3 HM virtual races from overseas.. with medals...Bangladesh one at US5, one of southern European cities at Euro 17, and of course this one from Europe...one of the WMM events but HM

VIRTUAL-GENERALI-BERLIN-HALF-MARATHON-me

is only Euro 7...and inclusive of delivery to uncle...because of some lobang...uncle registered as an EU entrant - German - and have virtual address at Germany..just need to be shipped with arrangement...via a german uncle...😀

So enjoy and have your fun with 1st Virtual Race (more of Virtual Challenge for most) with 2xu race...

Edited by kohpapa