Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teckhooi

North East Compressport Run 2015

razdoctor, please refer to List of Trinity Race !

Good job!! :good: Thanks for starting (and maintaining) the thread!! :goodjob:

Lonewolf please don't pressure me (I'm still new runner yet to hit 1000 posts) unlike you guys (including autumnrunner) are "very season" runners !

I think some of the posts indeed get the attention of organizers such as Pocari Sweat Run promised with ELM medal and a true "trinity" run !

Lonewolf please don't pressure me (I'm still new runner yet to hit 1000 posts) unlike you guys (including autumnrunner) are "very season" runners !

I think some of the posts indeed get the attention of organizers such as Pocari Sweat Run promised with ELM medal and a true "trinity" run !

No worries. No pressure. Some of us have a 'big' mouth so we post and reply very often. The no of posts is by no means a reflection of whether you are a 'seasoned' runner or not.

Pocari Sweat Run did not issue e-cert last yr. So yeah.. if they do it this yr, then mission accomplished! :thumbsu:

Hmm, I am not under the bolded category though.... Still a relatively newbie runner compared to many others i've met... despite the post count under my nick... :D

Though that said, I concur with Lonewolf, there are some runners here, very seasoned, but they don't post often, that's what their post counts are still low. Maybe it's because they are too busy running, to come to this forum... Haha...

Hmm, I am not under the bolded category though.... Still a relatively newbie runner compared to many others i've met... despite the post count under my nick... :D

Though that said, I concur with Lonewolf, there are some runners here, very seasoned, but they don't post often, that's what their post counts are still low. Maybe it's because they are too busy running, to come to this forum... Haha...

Miss (the title don't know still hold or not ? :D ) Pris ! You're the most famous blogger as well as top forum contributor of the local running arena ! It will take me years just to read all your blogs just imagine the time spent to prepare all the blogs !

Some other runners are more doer than talker !

Anyway be happy in running and have a balance life too. After once bitten by the sickness in 2013, I try to have more rest, more healthy food and more sleep.

oppss... i am not under the seasoned runner as well leh... just that this forum started off my running regime and got me interested in running so I thought i can share running "feelings" with alike runners here and hopefully can input interests into those who want to start running....

oppss... i am not under the seasoned runner as well leh... just that this forum started off my running regime and got me interested in running so I thought i can share running "feelings" with alike runners here and hopefully can input interests into those who want to start running....

Sorry "lah" AutumnRunner, I should have highlighted your name!

Miss (the title don't know still hold or not ? :D ) Pris ! You're the most famous blogger as well as top forum contributor of the local running arena ! It will take me years just to read all your blogs just imagine the time spent to prepare all the blogs !

Some other runners are more doer than talker !

Anyway be happy in running and have a balance life too. After once bitten by the sickness in 2013, I try to have more rest, more healthy food and more sleep.

activerun, I feel so terribly flattered by your words. :blush::blush:

I guess I love writing as well as running, and just want to do my part in sharing more with the running community. :)

Yup. A work-life-running balance is important. Never let one thing suck you completely dry.

Sorry "lah" AutumnRunner, I should have highlighted your name!

u highlighted my name..... my above post was meant to highlight that i am not a seasoned runner although u highlighted my name.... :sword: .....

Sorry. I may be confused.

Can I confirmed the term 'Trinity' refer to 3 items: Finisher Medal, Finisher Tee, E-certificate?

This is important as I will hope to share as much information to the next take over Organizing Chairman soon. So that allow the next team to plan and organize.

Regards

Joseph

Organizing Chairman

Joe, luckily you guy never repeat The Jurong Lake Run 2014 race certificate mistake with just a big word FINISHER (nicer words are Certificate of Participation, Certificate of Achievement or Congratulation) and the worst without the acknowledgement of all sponsors !

Ahh.. the connoisseur of 'Trinity Run' has spoken and as usual, your insights are spot on.

Going through my finisher cert, I realised that Tampines Run 2014 also commit the same faux pas with the unacceptable big word 'FINISHER'. And the thing is there is a connection between the 2 races (apart from the fact that they are both community runs). Do you know the answer? :crazysmile:

Speaking of TRINITY RUN, I really think we need a thread on its own to compile such runs. Maybe you should start one since you seem to be on the pulse when these things are concern.

For this, I have to credit to our vendor, Eggsplore. They are the ones who reminded us and assist us to do out the e-certificate design. This team is really wonderful I should say. They used to be part of hi-velocity but since came out and do themselves. Their event management is called infinitus (if I did not spelt wrongly), timing system is by iSports.

Though we only engage their hosting service (Eggsplore) and Timing system (iSports), they had been sharing alot with us without charging us extra. haha. That is why we are able to share alot with all of you too. If not, some matters I think I also will not know how to answer or prepare. :)

Regards

Joseph

Organizing Chairman

North East Compresssport Run 2015

Since the event is over, thankfully we got a lucky that most runners enjoyed. Perhaps on the appearance the event is over, I believed as runners, Runners will hope to understand some behind scene done.

I realize so far, no Organization has ever shared abit more on the preparation to some expense cost, etc. Perhaps, let me be the 'bad' guy. I shall try to share as much details as possible. So that Runners can expect why certain run are so costly, and what are the runs that tried to ripped runners' wallet and what are the economy run which deserve to join and support.

Hope this is no offence to any organizer, my idea is purely to let runners understand, so that runners may not expect much and can understand case to case. :)

Regards

Joseph

Organizing Chairman

Since the event is over, thankfully we got a lucky that most runners enjoyed. Perhaps on the appearance the event is over, I believed as runners, Runners will hope to understand some behind scene done.

I realize so far, no Organization has ever shared abit more on the preparation to some expense cost, etc. Perhaps, let me be the 'bad' guy. I shall try to share as much details as possible. So that Runners can expect why certain run are so costly, and what are the runs that tried to ripped runners' wallet and what are the economy run which deserve to join and support.

Hope this is no offence to any organizer, my idea is purely to let runners understand, so that runners may not expect much and can understand case to case. :)

Regards

Joseph

Organizing Chairman

Interesting! I'm waiting for the insider news ;)

As Organizer for a run event, few factors to consider before planning:

1. Target number of participants to participate

2. What is the budget to organize the run

3, What is the date plan for the run

After answer the most basic 3 questions, the next few become:

1. Where is the venue to be held

2. Can the venue hold the target number of participants

3. What is the cost to book the venue

4. Any road closure and cost

5. Permit allow or not

When the skeleton almost done, next few more to check:

1. Tentage cost how much?

2. Portable toilets?

3. Signages, Distance markers, etc?

4. Emcee - Good ones like Ross does not come cheap. No good ones cheap but not engaging. Any in-house?

5. Web hosting how much?

6. Race Pack collection system cost?

7. Timing system cost?

8. Barricades cost?

9. Logistic cost?

10. Medal quote?

11. Finisher Tee quote?

12. Race tee quote?

13. Isotonic drinks cost? Standby in case cannot get sponsor. May be possible no sponsor, so never risk without factor in cost first.

Work out average expenses, then from the budget, what is the deficit, Next step (IMPORTANT!!!)

1. Find Sponsors!!!!

At least find some sponsor to cover part of deficit if any, then standby to launch for registration. During the period, in between, recce must be done, safety checks must be done, etc. Liaise with respective agency such as Npark, PUB, NEA or LTA and TP must be correspond.

When most of the information are ready, launch the website for registration. But wait!! One more cost!

1. Publicity!!! EDM blasting by vendor? Printing of publicity for poster and banners. If want to use TV or Radio more costly. If on newspaper or magazine, another cost too.

Next, we realize, alamak. Where is the banana and energy gel? Get quote again lo...

1. Quote for Banana

2. Quote for Energy Gel.

But without fail, we need to keep follow up to find sponsors if possible..

1. Finally, good news. Some sponsors come in products!! That why you see what you receive in race pack.

But runners may not be aware. The cash is what the organizers really lack of. And sponsors tend to love to give VOUCHERS!!!

Nevertheless, like our North East Compressport Run 2015, we are lucky! Why?

1. Compressport sponsored in cash, and remember all our FACEBOOK giveaway? And prizes for TOP Runners

2. GU Energy Gel sponsor for Energy gel and really very generous gels for our 21km runners

3. LILICHENG to sponsor us ICE to make your drink cold

4. SQWINCHER to sponsor Isotonic drink!!!
5. PRIME MART to sponsor us Minieral water to mix the ISOTONIC drink!!!

Without them, guess what is the cost we had to bear? Trust me not cheap!!! Just work out the sum!! Also, ensure all the permit with various agency are passed and through. Liaise with agency really is a nut to crack. Why? The response can be really slow. Sometimes even have to meet alot of times to just get 1 issue settled. So time is really important..

And guess what are the killing expenses?

1. Web hosting + Race Pack Collection System = $12-15k (it merely depends on the number of participants and what you want for the system) we based on 3000 and we need them to have stock take behind the system to allow us track stocks, etc. They good already. Because knowing is community event, they are the ONLY company give FREE advise and help!! and with immediate update on the web if we need update any information immediately within 3hours!!! Power!! Whenever a runner sign up, there is somemore something call Payment gateway to pay. Not benefit from organizer and web hosting company. Another cost!!!

2. Timing system = $11k (It also depends!!! How many spilt points you want, we only take one if all realized. And each bib is additional cost of a few dollars more, all these are cost)

3. Tentage = $20k (The more tents or bigger tents, the more costly lo. )

4. Race Tee = $7-10 per shirt (this rate is already based on sponsored fee!! Not FREE hor!! Even they are official apparel!! That happen to all run!!!)

5. Medal = $7-20 (depend on what medal you want? ELM? Higher cost lo. For North East Compressport Run, we had a lower than mid abit. But the cost is still high if we need QC stocks, but that explain why some run medal abit small or cannot make it)

6. Want to give runners finisher tee = $7-10 per shirt (again based on sponsored price!!!)

All these are the killers figures. But hey, small sum small sum ones not inclusive yet. And trust me, anyhow anyhow add, it is really jialat figures.

What is next?

Cleaning fee?

Getting cleaning contractors is not easy. Personally I can shared. We engaged Nparks Contractors. We paid really 'handsome' figures to them as they quoted!! But we had to do our job to ensure they really clean after the race day. We even receive feedbacks from public distance markers spotted at bushes after the race 2 weeks later. Why? I do not know. And the best part is the distance marker is not even suppose to be placed anywhere near the mentioned bushes!! So how? Call again lo. Ask them to do follow up to clear. And guess what is the cost for them to lay those piece of white sheets on the floor for you to throw your paper cups at water point (for those who ran and saw). Trust me.. You will never believe these contractors really can quote a high amount of fee.. I may get it cheaper if I source from China!! But it takes really alot of time.

Community Runs are not meant to be profitable. We are there to promote passion in sports. And we are lucky we have some minimum grant to apply from PA, or agency. But still not enough. What about the commercial runs, without grants and fund but are profitable?

Well, I hope I shared some good insight as organizer, the cost expenses are really tough and include planning is not easy. Total it takes my team 6 months to prepare and launch the information. Of course, some may argued that my team is lack of experience or we are not season runners or so, but the point is how season runners or organizer, our view is to give runners a different feel experience in run. In our case, the medal!!!

So we went through the effort to design and customize ourselves to do a surprise.

Ohh... Forget,,, Want easier way? Can.. Engage an event company to help... But pay additional $20-40k consultant fee!!! This is killing. So to us, since we are community run event, not commercial, I took the risk with my team, we do all the 'consult' work ourselves. Going through the more tedious way, and try to engage to more runners to gather feedback and hold more internal meetings on our own to work on it. Thankfully, SGRUNNERS.com has supported my idea and you guys given me alot of feedback to allow my team to try to work on. That save us cost.

Guess! Do we have deficit for North East Compressport Run 2015? Yes we have. And is quite a sum. Reason, we reduce participants fee to really a low cost to sign up.

If anyone tells me organize a run is simple, I used to maybe think so, since when I run, I only notice tentages, drink stops, timing, distance markers, nothing much more. Maybe not so costly. Having done personally, leading the event, I come to realize that the cost can be really significant.

I will never dare to say organize a run is simple and cheap anymore.

Hope that clears many doubts to some runners who ponder how much really to organize a run and how easy or difficult it can be.

Regards

Joseph

Organizing Chairman

(*Disclaimer: purely is under my own view as Organizing Chairman experience from North East Compressport Run and personal view under my own capacity and not organizer. I do not represent any Organization or Organizer view. This is purely sharing through my experience and knowledge)

Finally.. I conclude that my 'duty' is done.

Formed an Organizing Team - Checked

Appoint various roles and responsibility to my team - Checked

Ensure always got an Organizing Vice Chairman to act on behalf to avoid slow respond - Checked

Prepare the information and Run - Checked

Launch event - Checked

Publicity - Checked

Race Pack Collection - Checked

Extra Race Pack Collection (adhoc decision) - Checked

Race Day smoothly - Checked

Debrief for Organizing Team - Checked

Debrief and handover to next Organizing Lead - Unchecked (waiting for date to confirm)

Sharing with participants on behind scene - Checked (I personally feel is important to share. Just like watch movie, see some "NG" scene or behind scene. Let people understand more)

I feel at more ease now.

Once again, many thanks for those who has been supporting JOSEPH TAN (Myself), North East Compressport Run 2015 (2015 edition), Punggol North Community Sports Club (the leading CSC for 2015 edition, also which I hold as Vice Chairman for the CSC). I wish to say a big Thank you to all of you.

You may like on the following:

Joseph Tan: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Joseph-Tan/137949592943106?ref=bookmarks

Joseph Tan (personal): https://www.facebook.com/PlaySportsSchool

Play Sports! School (my company): https://www.facebook.com/pages/Play-Sports-School/17607728426

JR'Sportz! Media (my company): https://www.facebook.com/JRSportz

North East Compressport Run 2015: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North-East-Compressport-Run-2015/717987761588345

Punggol North Community Sports Club: https://www.facebook.com/PunggolNorthCSC

Looking forward to your support to my CSC - Punggol North CSC for more future sports events. Cheers

May I take the opportunity to also invite any runners residing in Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC, who wish to represent us in People's Association (PA) yearly Community Games to drop me an email: josephtanpngrl@gmail.com.

Thank you.

Regards

Joseph

Organizing Chairman

Sorry. I may be confused.

Can I confirmed the term 'Trinity' refer to 3 items: Finisher Medal, Finisher Tee, E-certificate?

This is important as I will hope to share as much information to the next take over Organizing Chairman soon. So that allow the next team to plan and organize.

Regards

Joseph

Organizing Chairman

First of all, Joe, I'm replying to this but thanks for sharing all the 'behind the scene' info. Its very enlightening to say the least.

As far as the term 'Trinity Race' is concerned, yes, it does in fact refers to a race that gives out Finisher Tee, a finisher medal and finisher e-cert/paper cert.

Pls note that this is something that ActiveRun (as far as I know) made up for our collective amusement. I dun meant there is anything about it and I know he is serious about it, but truth be told, I doubt that many of us based our decision to join based on this. (with apoligies to Activerun!)

On the other hand, I can tell you that giving out ELM medals is highly desirable and will attract many people to sign up. I believe that there are more members of Medal Hunters United compared to Trinity Race hunter. So pls be sure to pass this info to your next Organising Chairman. And if possible, source for a better apparel sponsor.

Thank you Joe for the sharing. Very insightful indeed. Especially to us runners who probably might never get a chance to organise a large scale race before (3k participants is still large scale even though its smaller than races like 2XU of course, but you get what i mean there)

I'm impressed with what you all have done and I'm sure it has been a great experience for you and your team!

Just wondering though... regardings the deficit in the cost that your team suffered... did you all forked out the money from you own pocket instead?!

Thank you Joe for the sharing. Very insightful indeed. Especially to us runners who probably might never get a chance to organise a large scale race before (3k participants is still large scale even though its smaller than races like 2XU of course, but you get what i mean there)

I'm impressed with what you all have done and I'm sure it has been a great experience for you and your team!

Just wondering though... regardings the deficit in the cost that your team suffered... did you all forked out the money from you own pocket instead?!

Hi kjcweih

Well deficit will be bear by my community sports club under punggol21 cc. As much for any community events, our objectives is promote and encourage community do sports. Hence profit never in mind. However, we must not over spend as all need to justify as money from PA are all taxpayers money too. My share of money inside too. Haha.

So for NE Run, we manage to justify and happy that runners are satisfied with the run at least. If runners are unhappy, we may face issues already. Haha. How to justify spending so much and yet cannot do a event that get a minimum likes.

That explain why I was very stress initially. Haha.

Regards

Joseph

Organizing Chairman

Sharing insights is not trying to gain more likes or trying sabotage other organizers though.

I agree with lonewolf and many of you. Indeed this opportunity given to me and my team really benefit us alot. Experience gained and we really learnt alot.

As much runners do love to have the best in all factors, frankly it may not be easy too.

So that explain why some run are worsen, some run so perfect. It depends on backer (got strong money support, got money everything ok!). But these run usually commercial ones. Trust me.. What we pay for may just allow them to earn more.

But those run barely acceptable, but have to look wider.. Perhaps really budget tight types.

Unless I can share is really lucky ones like me!! Got AutumnRunner, this kind of kind soul. bother pm me and share more information with me. Lucky to have sponsor Compressport, sending a team of not bad pacer to make us look abit image.

Sponsors suddenly willing come in. I swear!! Sponsors is not easy!!

Question asked by sponsors usually:

1. How big is your target participants?

2. What you want from us?

Trying telling them.. $20k for 3000pax? 100% all run. Because it works out each participant is worth ($20k/3000 = $6+). Too high!!! I tried. Not possible. Singapore too many runs. Why bother with community runs. Thats what I got from some reply.

Heee. Nevertheless, manage to beg and get a few in.

Regards

Joseph

Organizing Chairman

Thanks for sharing, Joe!

It's indeed enlightening, since some of the costly factors are probably necessary, but may be intangible to us runners, eg: cleaning/ tentage...

I, for one, tend to take for granted that things will be cleaned up, but had not thought of assigning a cost to cleaning, to be paid out of my registration fees! I mean, when I go running at the parks, I do not need to pay any cleaning cost, so it didn't strike me that events are different!