Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

I think I made an impulsive sign up for SCM. After the recent Osaka Marathon which was my first FM and using that as a benchmark, SCM is probably not gonna be anywhere near that good.

I agree with the crowd and the East Coast loop. Somehow, Singapore's crowd are really "cold" and seems only interested to cheer for people they know.

Still, I will be looking forward to it. Hoping to get sub 5 hr and enjoy the event before my most anticipated marathon next year.

I think I made an impulsive sign up for SCM. After the recent Osaka Marathon which was my first FM and using that as a benchmark, SCM is probably not gonna be anywhere near that good.

I agree with the crowd and the East Coast loop. Somehow, Singapore's crowd are really "cold" and seems only interested to cheer for people they know.

Still, I will be looking forward to it. Hoping to get sub 5 hr and enjoy the event before my most anticipated marathon next year.

As long as your trained well for it and everything is on form that day... Things will be good....

Anyway what is your most anticipated marathon next year??

As long as your trained well for it and everything is on form that day... Things will be good....

Haha, Tokyo Marathon, Feb next year.

Haha, Tokyo Marathon, Feb next year.

travel to japan in less than 6 months...... nice........ both osaka and tokyo are nice races...i would want to go for either one fine year too...... and most importantly, u got the ballot for both......

Seems like they are also dropping Chronotrack timing system used last year, which caused runners to have wrong timings, including me.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/keeping-events-glitch/1458488.html

SINGAPORE: Even as they welcome sports apparel giant adidas back as a sponsor, organisers of next month’s Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore (SCMS) said the race for sponsorship has become increasingly challenging.

Mr Lawrence Robertson, commercial director of Spectrum Worldwide, which handles the SCMS, said the high number of running events in Singapore has compelled organisers to ensure their events are run at a high standard. Keeping events glitch-free will keep existing sponsors happy while making it easier to attract new ones.

“There are 90 running events in Singapore. So for a brand, there are a lot of choices now. For us, it has been challenging,” he noted.

Spectrum took a hit this year following the death in March of a participant of its OCBC Cycle Singapore, which contributed to the early termination of its six-year partnership with OCBC Bank. But the company’s long track record has stood it in good stead, as evidenced by the return of German sports brand adidas as the official sports apparel for the SCMS in a two-year deal, having previously been a sponsor of Singapore’s premier marathon from 2004 to 2008.

“From a sponsor’s perspective, they always want an event to go as smoothly as possible and we know that,” said Mr Robertson on Thursday (Nov 6) at the adidas store at Marina Bay Sands, where the official licensed race pack for the race was also launched.

“But for many (sponsors), particularly a company like adidas, they have been involved in sports for many years and they realise things might not go quite as well as they like to expect. Putting more than 50,000 people on the road for five to six hours on a morning is complex. Our sponsors understand and appreciate the complexity of the race.”

Spectrum last week announced a revised race route to minimise congestion and has also replaced the faulty Chronotrack timing system that caused about 3,700 runners to receive wrong timings or be wrongly disqualified in last year’s race.

“We are stepping up safety measures for this year’s race, and it is an ongoing process to constantly review it,” said Spectrum CEO Chris Robb. “After the glitches that happened (at our events), it is easy to focus on the negative, but we do not. We are very encouraged by the support.”

Other new sponsors of the SCMS this year include consumer electronics company TomTom and information technology firm Tata Consultancy Services.

More information here about the brand new adidas Singapore range of clothes and accessories, to commemorate their partnership with the SCMS this year.

I was at the launch event, and the official SCMS pacers, who are from the Running Department, turned models for the day... to walk the catwalk and model the new sports clothes. It was pretty interesting!

Read all about it - and some comments from the pacers too, on my blog. :D

http://www.prischew.com/running/adidas-scms-licensed-pack/

Does anyone know any discount for Adidas products and Tom Tom GPS watch (intend to get one strapless heart rate monitor but was put off by the high price tag) for SCMS participants ?

Sundown marathon participants get 25% off New Balance products !

I have the Tom Tom strapless HRM for a few months - if you do not intend to run more than 42km, it is good. The Tom Tom died on me after 6.5 hours in my 2 recent races of more than 42km... :-(

Sell mine to you, ai mai?

According to review, it can last 8 hours with heart rate monitor turned on and 10 hours without after fully charged !

How fast the GPS signal locking ?

Not buying from you, Hitman ... I'm still reviewing other brands ...

I heard from my fren who had the tom tom strapless heartrate monitor watch... It takes a while to detect the gps. ...

Bro AutumnRunner, good information !

My Soleus GPS is equally bad, some time within 10 seconds and some time unable to lock for more than 5 minutes !

Even worst no lap function and the Windows software very slow (often hang) and unable to add user comment !

I heard from my fren who had the tom tom strapless heartrate monitor watch... It takes a while to detect the gps. ...

My Soleus GPS is equally bad, some time within 10 seconds and some time unable to lock for more than 5 minutes !

Even worst no lap function and the Windows software very slow (often hang) and unable to add user comment !

That sounds even worse.... its time to spend some $$

I used to get this problem with TomTom detecting GPS slower as time went on, till I found out the solution from TomTom manufacturer...to get TomTom for quick detect of GPS (like when you first had it), you have to regularly connect through your comp to TomTom software for GPS recalibration (as I'm told the GPS position satellites are constantly on a move) - QuickGPS on your TomTom should be turned off for this to work effectively too. Try it and see if it helps.

I used to get this problem with TomTom detecting GPS slower as time went on, till I found out the solution from TomTom manufacturer...to get TomTom for quick detect of GPS (like when you first had it), you have to regularly connect through your comp to TomTom software for GPS recalibration (as I'm told the GPS position satellites are constantly on a move) - QuickGPS on your TomTom should be turned off for this to work effectively too. Try it and see if it helps.

That's good infor.... i will let my friend know.... and see if it helps....