Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kohpapa

Are You Affected By Haze?

1. PSI - Please Stay Indoor

2. Are you bothered by PM2.5?

3. "The haze situation is extremely serious and our utmost priority is the health and safety of all participants involved in XXX Run...In accordance to government and health regulations, we have decided to postpone the event on YYY to ZZZ."

Are you affected?

Quite frankly, I haven't really been too bothered about PM2.5. Not that I am not concerned about its long term effect but as far as I can tell, there's hasn't been a conclusive study of the long term impact on PM2.5 particulate on the human body.

Sometimes I find it too funny about the reactions of people when a situation occurs. PM 2.5 particulate is part of nature and has probably been around longer than the homo sapiens species in existence. It has not killed or wiped out the human race so far. So either the ill-effects is probably not as serious as many think or as with everything in life, the human body adapted. I think the actual situation is probably somewhere in between.

So yes by all means, take some precaution and use some common sense. You know yourself better than anyone else. If you have respiratory issues then of cos you need to be careful. But if you have been otherwise healthy, why be fixated and be paranoid by a number? If you are not comfortable, then take baby steps and try and see how you feel. If you dun try, you will never know how you feel running in such condition.

Stay safe everyone!

if use a Real-time AQI base on info from here.. http://www.aqicn.org/city/singapore/south/ looks like the local air pollution is almost always.. "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups".. but who are the Sensitive Groups?

From the same site FAQ:

"Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups" AQI is 101 - 150. Although general public is not likely to be affected at this AQI range, people with lung disease, older adults and children are at a greater risk from exposure to ozone, whereas persons with heart and lung disease, older adults and children are at greater risk from the presence of particles in the air.

so.. when race organisers cancel for the reason of haze.. "people with lung disease, older adults and children are at a greater risk from exposure to ozone, whereas persons with heart and lung disease, older adults and children are at greater risk from the presence of particles in the air.".. so normal runners are those Sensitive Groups most at risk.. that's the reason?

but, look at all races that didn't cancel.. but meeting PSI 100+ range..and carry on.. and how about those who cancel weeks ahead? anyone affected by cancellation and postponement?.. share your views.. thank you.