Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kohpapa

Mok Ying Ren, Runnng for Rio

Today, I announce that I will be training to qualify for the 2016 Rio Olympics. Follow me on my page and blog at mokyingren.com as I document my training. The journey starts now.. http://www.overseass...running-for-rio

"Afflicted by his desire to run at the Olympic Games, but crippled by the demands of a medical career, one of Singapore's top marathoners knew something had to give.

So he will do exactly what others have told him not to: Cast medicine aside and head like the wind towards Rio de Janeiro in 2016."

wah..sacrifice and delay career for 3 years..for sports..would anyone do that?

I wonder if it's worth it unless you are a medal prospect that comes with $1 m for Gold, $500K for Silver, $250K for Bronze. But to sacrifice 3 years just to have the honor of running in an Olympics marathon, what benefit can one gain other than adding to your CV - participated in 2016 Olympics marathon. Sad to say, do Singapore companies care a damn.

I wonder if it's worth it unless you are a medal prospect that comes with $1 m for Gold, $500K for Silver, $250K for Bronze. But to sacrifice 3 years just to have the honor of running in an Olympics marathon, what benefit can one gain other than adding to your CV - participated in 2016 Olympics marathon. Sad to say, do Singapore companies care a damn.

That's why he deserves our respect.

That's why he deserves our respect.

he also deserves our support. hey why not have sgrunners as one of his sponsors? whoever is willing can chip in abit.

he must have made a calculated risk to do this....

Mok's best time is 2hr 26min 34sec, while the 'A' qualifying mark for this year's London Olympics was 2:15.

i'm a pessimist... i would say very difficult to make it... if can run 2:15, can make a living running marathon already....

BUT i still hope he can make it... pure singapore boy....

yo..to many who have respected mok ying ren..and many who have considered him as a local boy hero, a marathon champion icon..the reality is that..if mok ying ren is to be raced off with the kenyans..who would be the eventual winner in this one? let's take the recent Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2012 race http://www.straitsti...-again-20121202

"Kiproo Lilan Kennedy, 25, was the first to breast the tape in 2hr 17min 17sec, although he was still some six minutes away from the course record of 2:11:25.".."He was ahead of countryman and course record holder Luke Kibet, who came in five seconds later.".."Barmao Samson Kiprono, also from Kenya, was a further five seconds behind."..

thank to auron's "the 'A' qualifying mark for this year's London Olympics was 2:15".. so the top 3 for men that attended the race for Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2012 race..all never qualify for olympics marathon..but, look at the finishing..5 secs..5 secs..later..

and thank to auron's on your honest opinion.."i'm a pessimist... i would say very difficult to make it... if can run 2:15, can make a living running marathon already...".. isn't what the kenyans did..make a living running marathon..win top prizes..

but.."pure singapore boy" mok ying ren making a living running marathon?..or "still hope he can make it"?

so HOPE vs REALITY..from swtmt's "to sacrifice 3 years just to have the honor of running in an Olympics marathon, what benefit can one gain..Sad to say, do Singapore companies care a damn."..how about this, do all of us, really give a damn?

btw.. uncle just noticed the Standard Chartered Kids Marathon medals..wha lau..same as uncle's pattern..so many hours efforts for a damned full marathon finisher medal..and the medals that the kids done is like less than 2.5min..kids' one is only 750m..so easy..look at the kids smile, so sweet, no sweat, no worry..uncle so damned angry..why spend so many weeks of training, injury-prone, against all odds, kena being said no hope lah..uncle should have taken part in 750m age-group..and win easily..just like the kids (just checked their names, all sounded pinoy)..least effort in training, ..but so happy..since nobody gives uncle a damned anyway..

lastly, why not..get one of the kenyans..to be localised..and win medal..at the olympics..with least effort..just mere 2.6min slash down to 2:15..easily all kenyans who ran the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon slash 5secs..5secs..5secs..whole team..compete at Rio..for Singapore..with uncle..the manager..wha, uncle's suddenly got future and can go to Rio..so easy.."Uncle, Manager of Marathon Running for Rio"...all bets on for uncle..win medals at Rio..not need to run marathon..so easy..smile like the kids..with medal(s)..least effort.

Regardless of can or cannot, it is a decision worth respecting. Such decisions are also reasons why local cannot excel in sports in international arenas. Minus the foreign imports of course.

I do doubt how much sponsorship he can amass though. It's a chicken and egg situation in sports sponsorship. Company invest in capable team or personalities but before sponsors part with their A&P budget, the sportsperson will have to sell himself based on track records plus how much fringe activities he/ she is willing to commit.

Just hope for the best. Anyway it is not as if his family cannot afford to pay for all the expenses.

yo.. kenmical.. uncle expects yo to show up.. long time no see..boy boy school starting..got go popular book store buy stationery?..long queue..

yes..Mok Ying Ren..has already a "second" home..NZ..with best buddy and Dinah..and of course, those who had seen him #1 in christchurch marathon.. http://mokyingren.co...ampion-2h26min/

yes..family can afford to pay for all the expenses..just like many here, as papas and mamas in this forum..actually also can..anything for the best interest of their dearest boy-boy or girl-girl..why not..but, for sports?..mmm..

He would probably need to target an overseas race with cool weather to have the best shot of running an Olympics qualifying time. Just like when he ran his personal best at NZ. So it may not be as far fetched as one might think. Well, if he never tries, he will never know right? And he may regret for life if he doesn't at least give it his best shot. To challenge oneself to see what limits we can achieve, to do the seemingly impossible, to dare to dream, try and possibly fail and face disappointment....isn't that the true courage that we all hope to have when it comes to things that matters most to each of us, whether in sports or in life? I wish him all the very best. Would be a proud day for all Singaporeans to see him at the Olympics.

well said.. wonderfulblevic.. so running on the last race of 2012..MR25 ultramarathon..ready..carbo-loading..still got take time to write..and best wishes..

wish..Moke Ying Ren..a proud son, bro of all here, see you at Rio..and uncle may go to Rio as..still working on this dream..want to know more..can read uncle's Mega Tri 2013 forum..already talked about it..

i doubt it's his intention to win a medal at the olympics or make a living out of sport. it's about pursuing a dream, representing the country and subsequently he'll go back to the medical profession. i think singapore needs more people like that; we're getting way too pragmatic for our own good.

i doubt it's his intention to win a medal at the olympics or make a living out of sport. it's about pursuing a dream, representing the country and subsequently he'll go back to the medical profession. i think singapore needs more people like that; we're getting way too pragmatic for our own good.

+1

yrs down the road it's these kind of memories that we'll look back fondly on, not the memories of 3 years of work.

The Olympic Games which have taken place since 1896 are referred to as the modern Olympics. They were started largely due to the efforts and determination of one man - Baron Pierre de Coubertin - a French educationalist who had been impressed with the way sport was organized and run..

Baron Pierre de Coubertin believed that the Olympic movement which he had founded would promote world peace and harmony..and one for his famous quotes what always displayed on the scoreboard at the opening of each Olympic Games as it is what he had based his ideas on:

"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part. Just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle."

agree with roonz's "i doubt it's his (Mok Ying Ren) intention to win a medal at the olympics or make a living out of sport. it's about pursuing a dream, representing the country" and splintuh's "yrs down the road it's these kind of memories (triumph) that we'll look back fondly on, not the memories of 3 years of work (struggle)."..

let's Mok Ying Ren..lives the true spirit on the meaning of Olympic Games..as according to the what Baron Pierre de Coubertin believed that the Olympic movement must be..and wishes Mok Yong Ren..Rio 2016's participation...living through the triumph of the 3-year sacrifices and struggle..and as such..with deepest respect and honour..we thank you.

The 62nd SAA Cross Country Championships 2013 will be held on Saturday the 19th of January..which also kicks off Singapore running season..Bedok Reservoir will once again be the venue as it did last year, and some 460 participants are expected to pound the gravel Bedok trail terrain..and among them..uncle shall be taking part in the Masters for Men (5km)..yap..uncle racing on the first run race of 2013..aiya..just have fun..stomach big big with overeating during christmas 2012, new year 2013..and..rain.rain..some more green corridor run recce recently..running shoes shallowed in the brown and black curry route of tanjong pagar stn - bukit timah stn..gone..looks like..got to no wear shoes for this race..wish uncle good luck against the best of MR25, Police Sports Association (the Gurkhas), NUS..wah..fierce..looks like uncle sgRunners lone runner..anyone here racing or not?

but, there will an invited guest speaker before the prize giving ceremony, the doctor in training, Mok Ying Ren..will share about his dream running the marathon at the next Olympics, Rio 2016...so uncle shall be there.."live"..hear what Mok Ying Ren, Running for Rio got to say..<to be continued>..

yap.. uncle ran in the first run race of the 2013 calendar..cross country championship at bedok reservoir..in rain..

and since many are dying to quickly finish the prize presentation..being at race site since as early as 7am and finishes at 11am..Dr Mok is told, "sorry bro Mok, due to all having been soaking wet in the rain, and many have been cold like wet chicken, more than half are youths from schools and tertiary institutions, please do not need to give pre-prize presentation speech..yes, cancel".."ok, still at hospital from night shift, just let them (participants) know..sorry that not able to present..wish all the very best in running 2013", replied mok..

sure or not?..yes..organiser show handphone message to uncle..and it was organiser that "triggered" the no need to show up message..and meantime the rain just continued and continued..

this run reminds uncle of 2012 sundown marathon (2nd half)..luckily uncle in compressed top and bottom..kept warm and not too wet due to water dri-fast fabric in compression wear.. so, keep dry everyone..today is unusually wet..wet..wet.. and some more uncle got another one in the next 12-hour ++.. mega tri 2013..interested..read that forum..expecting similar rain.rain.rain..

yap..since uncle was in this cross country championship..just update who are the adults..team events.. Swift Athletics, NUS, Police Sports..while in individual open.. MR25 swapped most tops..oldest one 81-year old..from MR25..solid..among the tops..in age group.. of course..

Dr Mok is living a REAL life, for himself and not for others. He knows his priorities and I truly admire his wisdom.

He knows he lives only once and later, at old age, he could smile happily everyday as he had lived a life balanced by his heart & mind.

Smart chap ehhh

this is just an update on dr mok ying ren.. http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Sports/Story/A1Story20130610-428789.html

dr mok shall be at 2013 Gold Coast Marathon in Australia..

and on his training.."For now, he still has to find a way to clock his minimum of 100km a week around his shifts at Tan Tock Seng, which can be any period from 8am to 4pm, to 10pm to 8am...He runs from Tan Tock Seng back to his home in Tampines after work. His normal route is about 15km, but he occasionally tweaks it to run along East Coast and does 35km, instead...in August, he plans to train twice a day."

dr mok needs to qualify for this year's SEA Games marathon...and win gold..the last time, dr mok won gold at the SEA Games in 2011..so all the best.