IPB Style© Fisana

Photo

Mega Tri 2013 - 20 Jan 2013

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
151 replies to this topic

#1 thelonelyrunner

thelonelyrunner

SGRunners Servant

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

For more info:
http://www.megatrisingapore.com.sg
"It's not about how far or how fast... It's about who you are inside!!!" - thelonelyrunner

#2 kohpapa

kohpapa

Super Runner

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

yap, uncle will be technical official..if kena assigned to the bike station.. don't let uncle catch you drafting, uncle will bike fast fast and issue you "yellow card".. 2 minutes for standard distance and 5 minutes for long distance...better goto penalty box at end of run route lap and sit-in serve penalty time (depends on multiple "yellow cards") with Penalty box Official..if kena assigned to the run station..don't let uncle catch you run barefoot or with headphone or blur blur run with helmet on..uncle will STOP.. and if not happy with decision and argue with uncle..can appeal..DQ first and then appeal..ITE (It's The End) from race..so important for all taking part..read the rules..latest 2012..has almost doubled from previous years.. so don't play play..

so have fun.. uncle will be watching you..bye bye

#3 dirtbike

dirtbike

Regular Runner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

so if my longest open sea experience is 1.5km and i m interested to join either Mega or O2...do i need to take swim trial?

Edited by dirtbike, 25 September 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#4 kohpapa

kohpapa

Super Runner

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

http://www.megatrisi...and-regulations .. swim trial.. "compulsory for all participants who have not completed an open water competition before".. declaration..in your application..yes, you do have open water competition before..ok.. in fact even if you had done sprint event..who knows..can always check..

on the day of race..3km..whether you can complete..as you claim in your application, skipping swim trial..in the event of cut-off time.. or too exhausted, medical or physical health reason.. if you seek assistance with swim marshals on kayak while at open water swim, the moment you mount on kayak twice, with swim official permission, you will be ski-jet to beach..and put on "penalty box"..and wait until the last participant of your age group..completed swim and proceeded to T1..and then with the permission of swim official..you be allowed to proceed..<scan> time for Swim leg while proceeding to T1..and continue your Bike-Run..you're still finisher..

so, don't worry so much..but must be realistic on your own endurance fitness ability in all events..swim-bike-run

Edited by kohpapa, 25 September 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#5 dirtbike

dirtbike

Regular Runner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for the reply....ya...will train up for 3km swim...but just wanna confirm that i do not need to go for swim trial...dont want a case where i arent able to participate cause i declare wrongly...

#6 kohpapa

kohpapa

Super Runner

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

uncle collecting racepack later for SITri at hotel parkway opp..can ask megatri..since megatri open for registration and not online yet..can update..about swim trial for O2 and mega..

just some info of a year ago..megatri http://lifestyle.www...u-mega-tri-2011 .. noted they are meant for newbie who want to tri middle distance..closest preparation for Ironman 70.3..swim 1.9km, bike 90km and run 21km..

but, this year, with the inclusion of O2..which uncle has shared at the SITri forum..shall be a new event in SITri 2013.. and hence, megatri "launched" O2.. subsquently..increase 3km from 2km for swim..for their long course.. no change in bike and run.. and according to open water swim race in singapore..3km open water swim..yes, trifactor swim.. and if swim trial requires 3km swim ability and performance... 90min..training..assuming 100 strokes/100m and 100 x 30..3,000 strokes workout..achievable..uncle adaptable to gradual high load to 3km (pool training)...warmup 1000m..add drills (includes 1-arm drills)..intervals..pyramid..speed-power..cool down another 1000m..as long as more than 90min session..objective accomplished..of course must also pick monthly sessions at open-water..check tides..check weather..changi is the site event..swim at changi..should be near changi ferry point..if at megatri..if SITri..E2 sandcastle..if F2..toilet point..beach area..or sentosa beach..that one got lifeguards..better..

since, bro dirtbike..you determine to train for 3km in the next 3-month from 1.5km.. uncle shares endurance swim: physical conditioning tips..if during training, find these symptoms..

symptom 1: you have to rest your legs periodically and rely more on you arms
cause: relatively weak lower body
solution: need to strengthen quads, glutes, hips

symptom 2: you have to kick harder at times to let your arms rest
cause: relatively weak upper body
solution: need to strengthen shoulders, arms, back

symptom 3: your body roll decreases the farther or longer you swim
cause: core muscles are tiring
solution: add more core exercises that work on rotation

symptom 4: you sometimes have to increase your stroke rate in order to maintain the same speed
cause: not enough muscular endurance and week upper body
solution: increase reps (sympton 3 solution) and number of upper-body exercise (sympton 2 solution)

hope in the next 100-day ++..3km-swim is ready.. and in tri..strong swim must be a good start..create that great confidence boost..and then equally strong with power all the way for all the land-based events..so good luck..bro dirtbike..for that determination to sign on.. and as for uncle..enough fun, now want to learn more to be tri official,including paralympics (yes, there are plans for disAbled triathletes participation next year) .. and of course, still got coaching with kids and youths..grassroot levels..yo..tri-kids..can swim faster at 100m/200m...skali sharks chase you from behind..hurry up..2mins for 200m..adjust speed tempo below 1.0..all 0.8..<whistle>..5 x 100m..swim..rain, thunder, lightning..never mind..

Edited by kohpapa, 26 September 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#7 jerrylam

jerrylam

Super Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

I was actually planning to take part in the SAFRA Biathlon in March 2013 to get my first taste of multi discipline competition before deciding on a triathlon. But now with this Mega-Tri happening on 20 Jan, i'm so tempted to just sign up for the OD category and train for it anyway. Hmmmmm......decisions, decisions....

What doesn't kills you, makes you run further!!

#8 kohpapa

kohpapa

Super Runner

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

ok.. just came back from SITri.. megaTri booth.. wt.. the signup is purely online database input for early booking.. and this sunday shall put up the official registration website.. and since the megatri booth staffed by volunteers.. so cannot ask more about..how to exempt from swim trial of 3km? looks like got to see how the registraion format will be drafted.. but, if using SITri..just declare yes or no.. but for SAFRA Biathlon..they insisted on "proof of past race results" or written statements..

bro jerrylam.. ultra ninja ..ultra crazy marathon..ultra North Face long distance dynamo..OD category..can "sui" local dialect for swim or not?..need swim techniques and better be coached..and learn adaptation to endurance swim..just like ultra distance run.. need uncle's help or not?.. you sure ask next..breaststroke or crawl better right? welcome to this forum.. ask anything.. free talk..some more got actions..besides run..got bike also..cool-looking in that aerodynamic panty hose you see bikers wear right?..btw..uncle may know you.. you stay at east right?

Edited by kohpapa, 26 September 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#9 jerrylam

jerrylam

Super Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:42 AM

bro jerrylam.. ultra ninja ..ultra crazy marathon..ultra North Face long distance dynamo..OD category..can "sui" local dialect for swim or not?..need swim techniques and better be coached..and learn adaptation to endurance swim..just like ultra distance run.. need uncle's help or not?.. you sure ask next..breaststroke or crawl better right? welcome to this forum.. ask anything.. free talk..some more got actions..besides run..got bike also..cool-looking in that aerodynamic panty hose you see bikers wear right?..btw..uncle may know you.. you stay at east right?

Wah uncle...you can even know that i stay in the east. Your CSI skill is super power sia hahaha!!! But i've yet to attempt any ultra distance runs yet. Anyway, I was indeed planning to take part in Safra Biathlon 2013, until i saw this. Started training to swim in pool, so far managed front crawl 30 laps (1.5km) in about 40 minutes. Have not tried open water swim yet. Pointers and guidance on training will be very very much appreciated as doing each discipline individually is one thing but doing all in sequence is a different game altogether!!! And of cos there's cycling, which i've only rode on rented bikes at ECP for leisure and thinking of borrowing one of my cycling craze colleague's 'pro' bike to train. Besides running, the other 2 are totally new to me. That's why i'm still deciding and a bit unsure if i'm jumping the gun too fast here...

#10 kohpapa

kohpapa

Super Runner

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:20 AM

ok.. 2012 megatri is targetted at tri at middle distance..with OD event..baby of the middle distance..$100 + $50 deposit for timing chip

or Safra Biathlon 2013....the rules of if do not have open water swim..swim trial at sembawang yacht club..proof to them

New Moon Khcycle MetaSprint Series 2013..less than OD or standard event.. but sprint event..can do a complete 3 sessions ..also go for swim clinics and open water experience..

as for the bike..sure, MTB is always the starting choice..but weight of bike make you pant pant..as compared to those who road bike..but no need to invest in one if at OD level..unless seriously doing longer distance like megatri..

so, if want to chong megatri in 100+ days.. go ahead.. since you already can swim crawl 1.5km..and don't mind swim trial for open water experience..then on this sunday, register..and pay $15 for swim clinics and proceed for swim trial..

uncle can "read" your mind like CSI..since bro jerrylam can 100+ days can do OD event.. then when Aviva Ironman 70.3 can hoot big big, only 1.9km swim, 90km bike and 21km run after another 100+ days into 2013..yayapapaya..like uncle.. http://www.facebook....an70.3Singapore .. and guess what, bad news.. Aviva has withdrawn from sponsorship.. so no date is confirmed.. so nobody knows when Ironman 70.3 will be at?..otherwise, in chinese, "double arrow" strike same target..do OD land up taking Ironman 70.3..very motivating right?

Edited by kohpapa, 27 September 2012 - 03:34 AM.

#11 jerrylam

jerrylam

Super Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

ok.. 2012 megatri is targetted at tri at middle distance..with OD event..baby of the middle distance..$100 + $50 deposit for timing chip

or Safra Biathlon 2013....the rules of if do not have open water swim..swim trial at sembawang yacht club..proof to them

New Moon Khcycle MetaSprint Series 2013..less than OD or standard event.. but sprint event..can do a complete 3 sessions ..also go for swim clinics and open water experience..

as for the bike..sure, MTB is always the starting choice..but weight of bike make you pant pant..as compared to those who road bike..but no need to invest in one if at OD level..unless seriously doing longer distance like megatri..

so, if want to chong megatri in 100+ days.. go ahead.. since you already can swim crawl 1.5km..and don't mind swim trial for open water experience..then on this sunday, register..and pay $15 for swim clinics and proceed for swim trial..

uncle can "read" your mind like CSI..since bro jerrylam can 100+ days can do OD event.. then when Aviva Ironman 70.3 can hoot big big, only 1.9km swim, 90km bike and 21km run after another 100+ days into 2013..yayapapaya..like uncle.. http://www.facebook....an70.3Singapore .. and guess what, bad news.. Aviva has withdrawn from sponsorship.. so no date is confirmed.. so nobody knows when Ironman 70.3 will be at?..otherwise, in chinese, "double arrow" strike same target..do OD land up taking Ironman 70.3..very motivating right?

Uncle, you think too highly of me already hahaha. Registering for Mega Tri OD is already making me thinking 50/50, Ironman 70.3 is like the Everest for me now. So instead of the the 'double arrow', a single arrow is just nice to hit my first triathlon target. But before i register for an open water swim trial, where do you recommend to train for 1.5km open water swim (sorry, noob question)? Just wanna try it out at least few times before going for the trial.

#12 kohpapa

kohpapa

Super Runner

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

actually.. this sat 29th at E2 (ECP)... there will be SITri race (cold storage) swim start at sand castle park..you can get a "feel" of tri event..and there is an area beside swim start where tri participants will warmup.. you can act like one.. swim swim.. from 6am - 11am.. that will be one time you shouldn't miss..

otherwise..area C..Playground @ Big Splash.. quite open..got people play beach volleyball on weekends.. can swim laps..

of course.. at this forum.. every sat.. open water group swim on sat. http://www.triathlon...?showtopic=8285 check it out..sentosa..but you pay your way..

changi beach.. haunted.. ex-WWII killing zone.. unless there is an event like megatri of metasprint tri..otherwise, uncle stays away..last time uncle swam alone.. got something grabbed uncle's leg from below..got to dolphine kick to get out..many times are fishermen fishing nylon string..otherwise, "water spirits" also can do..

important is to check tides..choose your prefer time of the day... am or pm.. for example..this sat 29th..Tide Status:0800hrs, 1.9m, 900hrs 2.7m, 1000am 3.1m .. all this info from NEA's website..

wah tide so high >3m..of course lah, the next day is full moon.. moon cake festival..

if you miss this sat.. uncle got good news, only for bro jerrylam and sgRunners who want to transition to tri-swim open water "practice).. every 2 sats. after sept 29.. till nov 24.. a.m. tides depths are about the same..

but, remember, you're not supposed to swim alone.. and at all times, have somebody to lookout..if possible, a competent swimmer (open water) if done at ECP..waves can be choppy.. so advise is better go to sentosa beach..got lifeguards..Be Safe..ok!

Edited by kohpapa, 27 September 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#13 jerrylam

jerrylam

Super Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

THANK YOU UNCLE!! Your info and advice are definitely invaluable for noobie me!! It's unfortunate that i can't make it to kay kay sneak into the warm up area during SITri this Sat, but i'll probably start practicing open water swim at Tanjoing Beach from next weekend. To uncle Kohpapa and all SGRunners taking part in SITri this Sat, good luck and all the best. You'll all be my inspiration!!

#14 kohpapa

kohpapa

Super Runner

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

bro jerrylam.. thanks for your cheering.. uncle almost gone into "sleep mode" at SITri.. and when suddenly..woke up by the ninja warrior war cry "ya!, charge!".. and after 60-hour of DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness), not what women herbal energy drink.. especially the quads (more from biking)..the rest.. and recovery did the natural job of muscle repairing and renewal.. meaning..strengthening for more endurance..3km swim..marathon run..ultramarathon 100 walk/run..168km ride..in the next 100 days till feb. 2013..for fun..

ok..just more on megatri in 2011..in details..so that to compare with megatri 2012...

Race Date: 11th September 2011, Sunday

Distance: Middle Course – 1km swim, 65km cycle, 18km run. Long Course – 2km swim, 102km cycle, 27km run.

Venue: Casuarina Grove, East Coast Park; Changi Coast Road
Registration Fees: $200 – $700 dependent on category and date of registration

Race Pack Items: 2XU finisher’s polo shirt, 2XU run singlet, Arm phone holder, 2XU race belt, 1 carbo-loading dinner ticket, 1 exclusive Mega Tri Singapore medal, Other sponsored items, Race essentials. (Varies for different categories)

Other Info: You must have already completed a triathlon, sea swim or aquathlon that features a swim distance equal or longer than the category in which you wish to participate. If this is going to be your first time swimming in the sea, you must pass a pool AND sea swim trial. (now this one is for 1km and 2km respectively..for SAFRA Navy 1.5km swim..and Aviva 70.3 Ironman 1.9km Swim and Trifactor 1.5km swim and Singapore Aguathlon 1km swim past participants were exempted)

swim lap 1km (that's why min. ability in sea swim must be at least 1km)
bike lap 17++km
run lap 9++km (U turn, run up and down 2 narrow windy boardwalk bridges at Changi Village)

As for carbo-loading.. all except O.D. (1.5km swim, 38km cycle, 10km run)..and what's missing in all 2013 race categories entitlement - 2XU run singlet, race belt

of course, online registration is not available.. hope this info will prepare the anticipation for those who what to tri OD..middle distance of nearly 1/2 Ironman..and maybe wanting to challenge to do Full Ironman..

and since 70.3 Ironman Singapore has no sponsor (with Aviva pulling out in mid-sept 2012 anouncement)..the date has been left opened.. but traditionally 70.3 Ironman has been also held in September.. but due to F1 races.. kena schedule early like in march/april in order not to clash with F1 races.. looks like, as long no immediate sponsor can be found soon, looks like 2013 70.3 Ironman Singapore may be rescheduled to later half of 2013..after F1 September date..

and don't be surprise 2013..if SAFRA Navy Singapore Biathlon 2013 may introduce swim 3km (since in 2012, there was a 1.5km swim lap) and run 20km.. and if Cold Storage SITri 2013 may introduce the new event 02 (Olympic x 2) with swim 3km, bike 80km and run 20km..and already Trifactor Swim had started 3km Swim since 2012..wow 2013.. 3km swim is going to be common ultra swim event for all.. and comes 2015 (yap, SEA Games in Singapore)..5km swim at Marina Barrage..and rumours have been..there may be a Full Ironman event by then..swim 3.8km (marina barrage)..bike 180km (F1-pit - Changi-Loyang)..run 42km (AHM route x 2)?

Edited by kohpapa, 02 October 2012 - 07:45 AM.

#15 jerrylam

jerrylam

Super Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

Uncle kohpapa!! I've got more noob questions for you. Is it essential to wear tri-shorts during the race? The difference with usual compression shorts is that its padded in the groin area much like cycling pants. As the OD cycling distance is only 38km, is it recommended to wear tri-pants during race day at all? And since i assume that we can't change our running shorts during transition on race day, the same shorts will be worn during swim, bike and run. Would a normal pair of compression shorts be sufficient? Thanks in advance!