IPB Style© Fisana

Photo

Vibram Hong Kong 100, 2013

19-20 January

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 dvdwng

dvdwng

Ultra Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

The 3rd of edition of the Vibram HK100 is slated for the 19-20 January 2013.

100km of hills and trails with a 32-hr cut-off time. Tough but a beautiful scenic course that brings you through some of the rural areas, beaches and some of the highest hills in Hong Kong.

Application opens in September 2012.

http://www.hk100-ultra.com/

#2 nsw

nsw

Ultra Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

thanks for the heads up! :)
If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
Sun Tzu

#3 dvdwng

dvdwng

Ultra Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

Registration is now opened!

#4 phonmooda

phonmooda

Ultra Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

hello, any did the race or wrote a review of it?
01010000: Describing nostalgia for a hole's intriguing shape once it's been filled

#5 cassie

cassie

Ultra Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

Not the most perfect English but you can PM him on FB if you've any queries
Link here

#6 dvdwng

dvdwng

Ultra Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

Hi phonmooda. I'll just copy my simple review from last year's edition. You may check out the pics to give you an idea of the terrain. Really a challenging course.

Completed the HK100 in 25hr 08min. Winner, Ryan Sandes (S.African), finished in 9hr 54mins. What a world of difference from an elite trail runner to an average joe like me.

100km of trail that consist of rocks, sand, steep hills and lots of uneven steps. I didn't know what to expect before the start and was totally unprepared for all the climbing up and down of steps. That really took a toil on the knees and ankles. Getting through to checkpoint #5 (completing 52km) was OK. Made it on my scheduled time to to complete around 20hrs. However, the 2nd half was a killer. Maybe I under estimated the terrain and did not cater for the steep ascent and descent with numerous steps and the tiring legs and aching knees. I overshot my schedule by 5 hours. The most difficult section was from checkpoint 8 to 9. Three very steep climbs.

The trail was difficult in most places and the hills, steep. MacRitchie trails and Bukit Timah Hill are child's play compared to this. During the run and right after the run, I told myself I would not want to go through that again!

However, there are many positive sides to this run.

First, the organisers were top notch. Runners were well taken care of. Race pak had quite a few goodies that were very useful. Bag deposit at the start was efficient and retrieval at CP5 and the end was a breeze. Check points were well manned and stocked. The young volunteers were very enthusiatic in looking after the runners. The moment you arrive at the checkpoint, one would come up to you and asked if there was anything we needed. On offer were fruits, water, energy drinks, coca-cola, coffee, tea, cakes, sandwiches, biscuits, cup noodles, miso soup and the lists goes on. Food and drinks were never a problem. Whatever you fancied, they will go and get for you. Now that's what I call service!

The trail itself was very well marked with reflective, directional signs and also there were pink ribbons along the route to make sure you were on the right track. Mostly the trail is up and down the hills but there are some place we ran through that is seldom seen of HK. There are nice white sandy beaches, some rural places with quaint houses and lots of cows roaming around quite freely and poo-ing quite freely also !! As you ran through the night, there are times I enjoyed the solitude running through the hills and forested area. So peaceful.

The final stretch was from the summit of the highest peak in HK, Tai Mo Shan, it was a 4km downhill run, on road, to the finish point at the Rotary club. As I made it beyond the 24 hours mark, I did not get a medal. Instead, just a certificate of completion (within 32 hours) and a rather nice hooded sweater.

After a few days rest and reflecting back upon the run, I ask myself the same question. Would I do this again?? Most definitely...there is still the matter of getting my medal!

http://www.facebook....75148086&type=3

Hope that helps. See you at the start :)

#7 dvdwng

dvdwng

Ultra Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

The HK100 2013 edition IS NOW FULL!!!!.

Can asked to be put on waitlist.

#8 yamkamhoong

yamkamhoong

Super Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

Brother David.
I just came back from oversea, I thought want to contact you regarding this Vibram 100....now full...OMG!:-(

How to put in the wait list?
Runners are not born, they are trained to be runners

#9 dvdwng

dvdwng

Ultra Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

Brother David.
I just came back from oversea, I thought want to contact you regarding this Vibram 100....now full...OMG!:-(

Go to the entry section and fill in your email address. Wish you all the best.

#10 yamkamhoong

yamkamhoong

Super Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:53 AM

Brother David.

Go to the entry section and fill in your email address. Wish you all the best.

Thanks to Brother David.:-) Wish you all the best too.:-)
Runners are not born, they are trained to be runners

#11 ls_runner

ls_runner

Ultra Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

Thank you for review.
It looks like it is a very popular event and I can't join if I want to.

#12 gtlife64

gtlife64

Ultra Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Thank you for review.
It looks like it is a very popular event and I can't join if I want to.

Too late, miss out registration for this too.

I don't think leaving our email address will get us the slot anyway.

All the best to David and others who have signed up. Enjoy the race and the food as well.
Run, For Life!

#13 Top Chan

Top Chan

Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

We still can get a slot if we don't mind to pay a higher amount for the charity. I received the email from Vibram100 today as below:

Vibram ® Hong Kong 100 (2013)

Dear all,

Thank you for your interest in the Vibram Hong Kong 100 on Saturday 19 January 2013. The response from runners this year has been overwhelming and the event was full in less than 3 days. The waitlist had almost 500 people on it, a small number of whom have gained places on the startline. Those who were on the wait list and have received a place were informed of this on Tuesday 2 October 2012.

The only way to ensure a place in the 2013 edition of the race now is through one of the 35 charity places which we have now made available. These places aim to raise funds for 35 blind and partially sighted Hong Kong-based runners who wish to participate in the 10 km, half marathon or full marathon of the Fubon Taipei Marathon (www.sportsnet.org.tw). More details are available on the "Charities" page of our website ( www.hk100-ultra.com) and registration (which includes the donation for one visually impaired athlete to participate in the Taipei event) can be made on the "Entry" page.
We hope that you will take up a charity place in the Vibram Hong Kong 100 and make a dream come true for a local "paralympian".
With thanks and best wishes,

Janet and Steve
Vibram Hong Kong 100

NOTE:
[Before Oct 31
Entry Fee HK$880 (Inclusive of Online Processing Fee)

After Oct 31
Entry Fee HK$1200 (Inclusive of Online Processing Fee)

HK$3000 is for charity.....equivalent to S$500 plus.

Edited by Top Chan, 16 October 2012 - 12:02 AM.

If you want to enjoy your running, slow pace is the BEST. Beautiful sceneries are infront of you!!!

#14 dvdwng

dvdwng

Ultra Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Want a guaranteed place for the 2014 Vibram HK100?

Quote from an email sent by the organisers:

Be a race maker!

If you know of runners who would like to have taken part in the race but missed out, please encourage them to contact us to volunteer at the event by registering here:

http://regonline.act...EventID=1148601

Volunteers in 2013 will be guaranteed places in the 2014 event and being a volunteer is a fun and rewarding way of being involved. We are looking in particular to boost the number of course marshalls to ensure that runners can't get lost, improve safety and provide yet more sources of encouragement for runners along the way!

Guaranteed but doesn't mean free :)

#15 cassie

cassie

Ultra Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

Spotted the list of participants on their Twitter. Link here