IPB Style© Fisana

Photo

Punggol Promenade Riverside Walk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 wonderfulblevic

wonderfulblevic

Ultra Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Hi all,

Would be trying the North Eastern Riverine Loop (NERL), 26km around Punggol soon. Would like to ask whether there are any lockers/changing rooms nearby the Punggol Promenade Riverside Walk area or the Riviera LRT area? Thinking of storing my gear there before starting on my run.

Anyone knows? Thanks!

#2 auron

auron

Super Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

not that i know off.
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

#3 triple

triple

Ultra Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

Did the whole loop last Sunday morning. There is hardly any shade because the trees planted along the route are still small. The weather on Sunday was so hot with zero cloud cover. Even though I started early at about 7:30am, I thought I almost kena heat stroke towards the end. My Garmin registered almost 15km but I did stop regularly to take photographs and walked for a few stretches at the end when the sun was really hot. Using Map My Run, distance is about 17km. I started and ended at Pungol Park, moving anticlockwise. I would recommend to start at the crack of dawn or earlier. There are quite a lot of scenic places like Lorong Halaus Wetland and SengKang Riverside Park, but other stretches like alongside Coney island and along Buangkok Drive (2nd half) and Buangkok Green are very boring. The area at the end of Pungol Rd is very nice, you can see Malaysia and the ships. Unless you are used to running these distances, it might be good to break it up into a few runs around the more scenic areas, or cycle the loop first to get an idea. :mellow:

Edited by triple, 06 March 2012 - 08:31 PM.

#4 wonderfulblevic

wonderfulblevic

Ultra Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Did the whole loop last Sunday morning. There is hardly any shade because the trees planted along the route are still small. The weather on Sunday was so hot with zero cloud cover. Even though I started early at about 7:30am, I thought I almost kena heat stroke towards the end. My Garmin registered almost 15km but I did stop regularly to take photographs and walked for a few stretches at the end when the sun was really hot. Using Map My Run, distance is about 17km. I started and ended at Pungol Park, moving anticlockwise. I would recommend to start at the crack of dawn or earlier. There are quite a lot of scenic places like Lorong Halaus Wetland and SengKang Riverside Park, but other stretches like alongside Coney island and along Buangkok Drive (2nd half) and Buangkok Green are very boring. The area at the end of Pungol Rd is very nice, you can see Malaysia and the ships. Unless you are used to running these distances, it might be good to break it up into a few runs around the more scenic areas, or cycle the loop first to get an idea. :mellow:

I thought the whole loop is 26km, according to National Parks Board. Thanks for your informative report. I guess the only thing stopping me now is a place to store my fresh clothes. Cos I am not staying in the vicinity. :D

Edited by wonderfulblevic, 06 March 2012 - 09:22 PM.

#5 auron

auron

Super Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:42 PM

I thought the whole loop is 26km, according to National Parks Board. Thanks for your informative report. I guess the only thing stopping me now is a place to store my fresh clothes. Cos I am not staying in the vicinity. :D

the outerloop is about 17-18km.... 26km will need to include the man made mywaterway@punggol, (to and fro)...
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

#6 triple

triple

Ultra Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

There are plenty of thick reeds and bushes along Sengkang East Drive (left turn after Pungol Park) as well as further down where you could easily hide a plastic bag with clothes in to retrieve later. I used to do this with my water bottles when running loops training for a marathon. But I wouldn't recommend leaving a bicycle even if it is chained. Last time I did that the saddle was removed.

Also, it looks like the link via Pungol Waterway Park shown in the N parks map is still under construction. I had originally planned to return via this link but only saw excavators and workers busy doing concreting where it might have been.

N Parks map is at:

http://www.nparks.go...guide_final.pdf

#7 wonderfulblevic

wonderfulblevic

Ultra Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

Thanks Auron and Triple for sharing your experiences and information. Really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

#8 mover

mover

Ultra Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

There are plenty of thick reeds and bushes along Sengkang East Drive (left turn after Pungol Park) as well as further down where you could easily hide a plastic bag with clothes in to retrieve later. I used to do this with my water bottles when running loops training for a marathon. But I wouldn't recommend leaving a bicycle even if it is chained. Last time I did that the saddle was removed.

Also, it looks like the link via Pungol Waterway Park shown in the N parks map is still under construction. I had originally planned to return via this link but only saw excavators and workers busy doing concreting where it might have been.

N Parks map is at:

http://www.nparks.go...guide_final.pdf

I run via Punggol Waterway Park every weekend. It already opened since Dec last year. Those construction site are the surrounding condo that they are building it. I run from Punggol Park >Punggol Promenade Riverside >Punggol point>Punggol Waterway>Punggol Promenade Riverside>Punggol Park. Only about 19km.

Edited by mover, 07 March 2012 - 03:48 PM.

#9 triple

triple

Ultra Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

Looks like I must have missed it then. Will look out next time I run there. I also don't stay in that area.

#10 wonderfulblevic

wonderfulblevic

Ultra Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Ran the punggol waterway and looped back via Punggol Point. A relatively short 12km - just to get a feel. The waterway was nice but there should be more life in the waterway. The area near the end where the waterfall is, and overlooking some wild looking island (Johore?), was especially nice. The dirt track at the Nature Walk route was so-so. The dirt was a bit too firm and sticky to my liking. The course is open, without shades along the way. There were supposed to be a couple of toilets along the way but these were not easily visible. I could not spot them.

Would not mind running again, including the Sengkang side. But again, lack of water points and changing facilities are a concern.

#11 mover

mover

Ultra Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

Ran the punggol waterway and looped back via Punggol Point. A relatively short 12km - just to get a feel. The waterway was nice but there should be more life in the waterway. The area near the end where the waterfall is, and overlooking some wild looking island (Johore?), was especially nice. The dirt track at the Nature Walk route was so-so. The dirt was a bit too firm and sticky to my liking. The course is open, without shades along the way. There were supposed to be a couple of toilets along the way but these were not easily visible. I could not spot them.

Would not mind running again, including the Sengkang side. But again, lack of water points and changing facilities are a concern.

There are a toilet right at Punggol Point, at least 3 toilets at the Waterway, 1 toilet at the Riverside walk. Those toilets at Waterway is not easy to spot as they are small and the design trying to merge with the surrounding. I found running the unshades waterway is not easy too under the sunny sun.

#12 Leverpuller

Leverpuller

Runner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

Does anybody want to run the route together one of these Saturday mornings? I'm good for any distance between 12-21km at a 6-6:30 min/km pace :)

#13 joosiang

joosiang

Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:52 AM

For evening run, better run anti-clockwise. Morning not sure..may be clockwise better.
It is indeed very hot as I started at 5pm from Ponggol point- clockwise. Until after 6.15pm, Serangoon PCN back to Ponggol point via Punggol Promenade Nature Walk, Riverside Walk are all shaded.
If you are not carrying water, go to the toilet to drink tap water ( which was what I did due to the hot weather)
I think it is over-rated, still can run. But the whole place is too dusty & sandy with polluted air, probably due to construction work on one side and shipbuilding activities over Malaysia's PasirGudang side.

#14 mover

mover

Ultra Extreme Runner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Yes it very hot running there. No wonder sometime I cannot finished my 21km and need to stop at 19km.

#15 Leverpuller

Leverpuller

Runner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

Hmmm sounds like it's not such a good route after all. Sigh....