All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. looks like you ready to return to work after June 1...still actively in Exercise (Run) at North East (Pasir-Ris/Punggol/Tampines)...
  3. uncle's 10th next year...sgRunners... it is summer-time soon...USA, uk, Sweden......in Europe...5 seasonal jobs most will spend money to travel for pleasure (because not working during seasonal break)...while few would pick up the seasonal jobs available...kind of "shared" job for work-life-family balance lifestyle... of course, it is never possible here locally, telling others that you taking a job vacation break is like, "you kena fired or retrenched....so young or you are not old enough (like above 70s/80s) still want to to retire meh...don't be so seow and "gong kia" meaning "not so smart kid"...
  4. Yesterday
  5. Yah sgrunners for 15 years... need another thread for that. covid 19 second wave has a high probability due to poor attitudes and a growing apathy in very wealthy nations. Unfortunately the USA, uk, Sweden have money to spend for travel and business....There will be countries that will readily accept tourist and business from these countries who I would consider as high risk. Once that happens the chain begins and others will be silently spreading this disease. Immunity systems are growing stronger in these countries are growing stronger with summer & more sunlight. Am predicting second wave in August / September as fall begins.
  6. I bought that exact brand, "Ultra Mask" face mask before the CB period, feels it is thicker than the reusable mask given on the first round of distribution. Tried to run with it and decided against it after half a klick. I prefer to run with a buff, to cover the mouth and nose area when passing other runner or people.
  7. Celebrating the coming of 15 years of sgRunners...in 2020... well, it is good for all to know....once sgRunners were Siao Garang Runners...
  8. so 3x better (protection)...reuseable up to 30 times...face mask is here... better protection against bacteria...organic cotton and quick dry fit... at least the mask is can filter more "bad breadth"...great...next time when pool is opened, can swim with it....
  9. Gearing up for S'pore GP with live audience, parties despite uncertainty (info - https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/gearing-up-for-spore-gp-with-live-audience-parties-despite-uncertainty) Meanwhile, SCSM Facebook...
  10. Last week
  11. Perfectly clear on this in Sg... Covid-19: Should you be jogging or running with a mask on? Find out here (info - https://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/health/jogging-running-surgical-mask-covid19-pandemic-6423602/) High-intensity run includes hilly terrain and that is why uncle should be better to not to wear mask. Only while in city/densely populated zone, and when Pavement is to be shared with Others, then Execise (Brisk Walk) and for the Protection of all, Wear Mask Always. What is the type of Mask best suited for Exercise(Run)?
  12. unofficial and unknown source, so do not be alarmed by what some looked upon when this post-pandemic future (timeline) really will look like...this one looks like the 1918 Pandemic (H1N1 virus), aka, Spanish flu as of today's report: WHO warns of 'second peak' in areas where COVID-19 declining (info - https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/who-warns-second-peak-covid-19-coronavirus-declining-12768450) Is WHO warning us about "Second Wave"?
  13. We can give you kudos No worries @kohpapa - me too will exit as been spending way too much time on social media Seems like have been more like the doomsday person..... but it is certain we must all continue to respect social distancing, wear masks when in confined spaces (I know Sg is different) like public transport to protect others..... or we go for herd immunity. If you want to see what that is looking like, check out Brazil. It is very sad that Bolsonaro is happy to sacrifice the poor and the indigenous people who will have no immunity (there was one tribe that was badly affected with the common cold). The indigenous people have been helping to protect the rain forest and illegal logging has increased in these times. For Bolsonaro, this means the virus can remove a people that was "blocking progression" and further exploitation of the Amazon. His only concern is the economy https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/south-america-indigenous-groups-coronavirus-brazil-colombia FYI how a disease can affect a whole tribe: https://www.survivalinternational.org/articles/3132-tribal-people-health-interview-professor-stafford-lightman
  14. Have tried running with a mask a little, but found it impedes taking in air if doing a hard run. Have instead been giving people a 10 metre distance as well as running when there are fewer people outside (the dinner or lunch hour). Though do note we might have to get used to running with a mask. Have been attending some seminars with run organisers (NYC, Chicago, Berlin, Singapore, etc) around the world who are toying with the idea to ask people to wear a mask in their events.... I'll try to write a blog post to update every one of further thoughts. Interesting that runnersworld have picked that up as well (thanks for the link @RaijinFJ)
  15. I do. The authorities in Singapore are a bit more enlightened- you’re exempt from wearing one during strenuous exercise, provided you run solo, but here we have to wear one at all times. I know its probably not effective compared to a medical grade mask, but if it reduces the risk by even just 3-5%, that matters. Besides, medical grade masks should be reserved for medical staff only. I know other members have already posted Youtube videos in other threads about the guy who recorded a 10k run in his government issued mask, but I’ll also share my notes/observations if it may help other runners. First of all, running in a mask is hard. I’ve experimented with different types. I tried plain cotton, and even sacrificed an old race shirt for its technical fabric to craft a mask, but the results were the same. The moment it gets wet, it’s almost impossible to breathe. What I use now is what we call in some parts of the world as a “buff”. Something like a scarf/tube stocking you slip on your neck and pull up to cover your mouth & nose. Most pictures on the internet are connected to commercial websites (and I’m not indorsing brands or selling products) but if you Google “buff mask” and select “images” from Google Search, you’ll come up with something like this so you can see what I’m talking about: https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=buff+mask&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi19aiO-c7pAhVPyYsBHQlFBSsQ_AUoAXoECAsQAw&biw=1366&bih=625 It’s the same though. The moment it gets wet with sweat or moisture from your breathing, it will impair the airflow so it gets hard to breathe, but I prefer it as it seems less restricting than a standard ear loop mask. It offers some sun protection too. Its fine during the first 20-30 min (around 5km) but beyond that, it gets progressively harder as it gets more and more damp. The sun overhead and the 32C heat here doesn’t help either. (I know its hot in Singapore too) On one 25k long run, whenever I’d try to push the pace faster than 6 min/km (race pace for a slowpoke like me) I notice my heart rate goes up and I really struggle as my breathing gets heavier, but I can’t maintain the pace because it’s like breathing on a run through just one nostril. I know this is contrary to what legendary coach Arthur Lydiard taught when he said: “Breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose. Suck the air in through your ears if you can!” but we didn’t have a pandemic at the time. While there was also a report about a runner that died from a collapsed lung running in a mask in China, I’m pretty sure he had some other preexisting health condition. The stress from running in a mask probably just aggravated it, or he was just some novice who simply ignored the warning signals and still pushed too hard. Whether grizzled veteran or new runner, we must never forget the cardinal rule to always listen to our bodies. My humble suggestion as a fellow runner is to experiment with what works for you. This is not the “new normal” as most people say nowadays, I consider running with some sort of face covering as a necessary evil for the time being, a “temporary normal” until a vaccine to this plague can be found. What I’m going to experiment on now is bringing along 3-4 buffs in a pocket or tucked in a running belt, wrapped in plastic (to keep them dry) and changing into a fresh buff every 8-10k. That should be enough to last a marathon, but it just seems so tedious. This virus is really a royal pain… By the way, I'll also share a link to an article in Runners World (if it's allowed in this forum. Admins., kindly edit if not) It seems pretty good: https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a32380203/running-with-mask-impact-your-performance/ Hope to have helped.
  16. yes, uncle ran with "cori" masks... reusable doesn't mean it is to be recycled for too many times after wash? Definitely, FOC "cori" issued is not really like the Trademark one...even after several washes...several is not unlimited...consumer one and not medical-related disposal...uncle understands if need to dispose after several washes, then better dispose lah...when, you start to smell funny...and after so many years of your life...finally you discovered your breadth really smell like s***....aiya..kidding with reasons...read on... It is absolutely, quite "unbreathable" for Strenous Exercise (Run) especially if the chosen route is on Pavement (shared with Bikers/Walkers) and not PCN. Stoppages and dodging...good if you need to master "Kung Fu" stunts and steps to avoid close "safe distancing" measures, then you must wear mask always is to protect all on the Pavement with social distancing. Great. Heavy breathing means you actually return the to the Clean Air (particles still stick to your breadth from your mouth) You Breathe Out...hopely you no Eat Mala Spicy Hot Food or Halal Rendang or Japanese Shuhi..before you do Exercise (Run)... Importance on Wearing Mask Always along Pavement is you are always in close contact in a narrow path, unlike PCN where you can practice Safe-Distancing like 2 metres (practice in UK by @Lady Ice), as for Uncle 3 metres. Every breadth you give out, there are lots of Bacteria (unless you are sure positive Virus named "Covid-19 Positive" is tested)...and you know Bad Breadth is caused by Bacteria, and not Covid-19 Postivie right? It is known, Covid-19 infection does let the host has the sensation of there is "no taste" after all...even tasting of lemon or lime is...what is that like nothing one... Well, as uncle has been following strictly on the CB rules, wear Mask only if you are not Exercise (Run) on Not-A-PCN. Respecting the protocol, if forced to take Pavements (Not-A-PCN), then Exercise (Walk) and Wear Mask. Otherwise, Run (Exercise) without Mask. As for your "cori" mask durability question, are you currently Exercise (Run) daily? Then, it all depends on your Diet. Maybe can practice Safe Mouth Hygiene before Run (Exercise)....hopefully not disinfectant..like someone respectfully said as "joke"...that one time activity (distinfectant) makes sure...uplorry for untested Covid-19 virus (negative) looking for a host or someone's life that has nothing to do Covid-19 in the first place..just want to Exercise (Run). Sad. Singaporeans to be given improved reusable masks in third nationwide mask distribution exercise (info - https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/singaporeans-to-be-given-improved-reusable-masks-in-third-nationwide-mask) Good news, looks more "cori"ed enough, don't you think so, from tomorrow onwards (26 May) for collection...vending machines. Btw, it is time to dispose that FOC "cori"ed First One, which uncle still have. Yes, only uncle knew how bad breadth uncle had for life. At least uncle has that sensation of "bad" smell, better than no sensation at all...meaning only one thing...Covid-19 kena...aiyo..don't say suay thing...pui pui...aiyo cannot spit...aiyo never wear mask....fine, jail or both. Wishes everyone are staying healthy and safe during this COVID-19 period.
  17. I hope everyone are staying healthy and safe during this COVID-19 period. Just wondering if anybody is running with reusable mask during this period? wore my government issued "cori" masks for my runs and had to replace it twice with the CB period.. They are indeed not very durable...
  18. Thanks Uncle! Let us all stay fit, safe and healthy! I am still doing virtual 42 km race with short runs. Somehow got to reward myself with a medal after those runs.
  19. dear @Lady Ice and @starfinder, Uncle shall exit from this wonderful Covid 19 Challenges thread by end of this Sunday, with a final Exercise (Run) Ultra! Run Around Neighbourhood(s)... If you've following on updates at Covid-19 on Its Impacts on Races...even After June 1, the Preventive Measures for Exercises..still applies..like during CB/LockDown...Phase 1 (a month later), Phase 2 (months later after Phase 1), Phase 3 (still looking for a Vaccine and if not), maybe Phase 4 (even if a Vaccine is found, still if not, to be continued)... So uncle thinks this forum thread shall have a longer lasting impact, specially for those who truely needs it...Keep Fit with Covid-19 Challenges (Home) with option of Exercise (run) alone...more Routes have already been plotted out...where their neighbourhoods runs route... With the latest on Rail Corridor...uncle had every reason Around Community Neighbourhood(s).. Like yesterday, conversation from Rest Stop at Bukit Timah Railway Station...where are you from? "Holland"...and you, Bukit Timah (Hillview)...and uncle, where are you from..yayapapaya..started from Tanjong Pagar...wah, how far is that...10.5KM...abuthen, not really a smooth journey...in-out-in-out-in-out..grandmother story...almost 10 years ago...uncle did run this green corridor...lol Yap, uncle shall be needed more with engagement with Work after June 1...the real Essential stuff which brings real Income...uncertainty remains after June 1 because Covid-19 surely changes what it was used to be the past success, may not apply for the near future..just like Run (Race)...Cancel, Refund, Postpone, Virtual Race. So, just thank you both for being part of the Essential Exercise (Covid-19 Challenges and Run) Team that brought to sgRunners this wonderful experience...looks like you shall be anchoring from then...best wishes....stay healthy stay strong stay fit...
  20. Ahh the otters are adapting to urban life as humans have spread themselves out. Did you know they are still on the endangered species list as they were nearly wiped out and only re-emerged in about 1998. Perhaps the humans need to change the location of their koi ponds to keep them out of the hands of the otters..... One day we will learn to integrate with nature. Globally humans around the world have found it hard to stay in their home pond during lock down and keep trying to explore other ponds and eating other people's fishes
  21. Do's and Don'ts after June 1... (info extracted -https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/restrictions-on-exercise-gatherings-still-in-place-after-june-1)
  22. they can become menace if they continue to invade homes and eat the Kios... uncle actually seen how otters hunt for fish (catfish - their favourite) in canals...they literall rip of their heads and feed them while remaining...with their back and keep afloat...enjoying their feast...
  23. Uncle did a Familiarization 10km Exercise (Run) for this one Silat (Bukit Merah) to Bukit Timah Railway.... Remembering Green Corridor... Rail Corridor (Tanjong Pagar Railway Station to Bukit Timah Railway Station)... Today, uncle's status of rail corridor [south]: Tanjong Pagar to Lower Delta Road Flyover [Green Fences Barricades] - CLOSED..Uncle entered though a lone (secret) opening at Silat behind Blk 138 Bukit Merah...the Red Pavement is wider which can have accommodate 4 person seen at Silat and Continue to direction of Tanjong Pagar Railway Station... Uncle got Exit via a slope up to the Lower Delta Road. Lower Delta Road Flyer to After Bukit Merah Bus Interchange [Green Fences Barricades] - CLOSED Uncle enters Bukit Merah at Henderson into Rail Corridor. At Tanglin Halt [Green Fences Barricades] - CLOSED. Uncle has to Exit - Faith Methodist Church at Commonwealth Road. On the left is One North Business Park. Tanglin Halt to South Bourna Vista is closed for JTC Infrastructure Buildup. Uncle enters North Bourna Vista via underpass which also link to Bourna Vista MRT into Rail Corridor. This one leads to Jelita Cold Storage at Holland Road. [Green Fences Barricades] - CLOSED. Uncle has to exit from behind Jelita Cold Storage to Holland Road. Go along 6th Avenue toward Bukit Timah, enters an entrance "to a park" via private houses at Greenleaf View. Enters the Corridor and Completes at Bukit Timah Railway Stn. Wah, this 10KM journey feels like 12-13KM....because Non-Corridor route means Run on Pavements beside Roads. Red Spicy - Corridor Pavement. Yellow Brown Curry behind [Green Fences Barricades] - CLOSED. Actually, the Pavement towards Bukit Timah Railway Stn is always wet and dirt because there are more Bikers. Families of Bikers gathered to watch "monkeys". Experience vs Past Reflection...no much difference, only this time Pavement is Red. One thing positive, the Corridor is shielded by trees from the morning sun. Don't know for afternoon and evening sun for Run/Bike. Northern Half (Rail Corridor) Bukit Timah - Woodlands...Virtual Run...enjoy... Uploaded by reyskidude (with credit) June 2018...13.5KM.. Total Rail Corridor (south - 10.5KM), (north 13.5KM) = 24KM
  24. I shall be focusing on Exercise (Run) LSD as I end my 30-day challenge....coming Sunday after today (Sunday).
  25. Any Event (Run) organized at NP must be approved by NP with MOH preventive measures recommendations. Unless, Ridge Run is "personal" run, coordinated with an app, no gathering for group run. Why not, Virtual Run instead, run near your neighbourhood, hope the apps can track route, distance and time captured.
  26. Yes, Uncle. Hopefully there will be some positive changes before August. Actually Ridge Runner uses their own app to track their runs. I was wondering perhaps they can add a viable anniversary route. No need mass run. We just have individual run using the app for this route to complete the anniversary celebration. They can even post the route in their website.
  27. ...Also monkeys & otters Come join us for the last week to do some core strength.....just treat the start of the week as your first day https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14-Vqrs_cr908O_4PpvAcHN2qDJNKkNygfHzg5S1kluI/edit#gid=1917303777 @kohpapa - Your targets for situps, push ups and leg raises - achievable in one week? I might get my target for pushups.... don't think I will get the other two..... come come see how
  28. Latest: Since uncle is regular at NUS-Southern Ridges as Exercise (Run)ner, north of Hort Park is run"able" with Kent Ridge Park and Labrador (closer to NUS). As long as Kent Ridge Car Park remained CLOSED, meaning Car Park A and B, expect not many Exercise (Run)ners will be able to travel there, but had seen more Exercise (Walk/Hike)rs from neighbourhood households of the Pasir Panjang Residences or those who have living residency in Hostels in NUS. Definitely Hort Park will not allowed for any gathering of crowd, don't need to discuss about hosting of any Event (anything including Ridge Run Anniversay). From what uncle knows from the past Ridge Run Event format, South Bourna Vista Road will be part of the more distanced run route, which is running on the Pavement. Already Forest Walk and Canopy Walk are closed, cutting off access from south of Hort Park. Henderson Waves closure cuts off access of Telok Blangah Hill from Mount Faber. August? Already NDP 2020 and Army HM 2020 are cancelled. Now, the lingo in town is can we do this Event (Run) during Phase 1, 2 and 3 after CB extended? Unless there are new NP regulations for Park Users after June 1.... NP website (extract): https://www.nparks.gov.sg/noticeboard remained unchanged from mid April... Nobody actually knows when will any Race (Run) be allowed, maybe after Phase 4? Well, already someone predicted SCSM 2020 (Dec 2020) could be under the same fate....cancel because of Covid 19.
  1. Load more activity

• Upcoming Events

• Topics

• looks like you ready to return to work after June 1...still actively in Exercise (Run) at North East (Pasir-Ris/Punggol/Tampines)...😷
    • uncle's 10th next year...sgRunners... it is summer-time soon...USA, uk, Sweden......in Europe...5 seasonal jobs most will spend money to travel for pleasure (because not working during seasonal break)...while few would pick up the seasonal jobs available...kind of "shared" job for work-life-family balance lifestyle...  of course, it is never possible here locally, telling others that you taking a job vacation break is like, "you kena fired or retrenched....so young or you are not old enough (like above 70s/80s) still want to to retire meh...don't be so seow and "gong kia" meaning "not so smart kid"...😷
    • Yah sgrunners for 15 years... need another thread for that.    covid 19 second wave has a high probability due to poor attitudes and a growing apathy in very wealthy nations. Unfortunately the USA, uk, Sweden have money to spend for travel and business....There will be countries that will readily accept tourist and business from these countries who I would consider as high risk. Once that happens the chain begins and others will be silently spreading this disease. Immunity systems are growing stronger in these countries are growing stronger with summer & more sunlight. Am predicting second wave in August / September as fall begins.    
    • I bought that exact brand, "Ultra Mask" face mask before the CB period, feels it is thicker than the reusable mask given on the first round of distribution. Tried to run with it and decided against it after half a klick.  I prefer to run with a buff, to cover the mouth and nose area when passing other runner or people.     
    • Celebrating the coming of 15 years of sgRunners...in 2020...     well, it is good for all to know....once sgRunners were Siao Garang Runners...