Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coffeeking

Garmin 405 - Buy Local!

Hello guys. Went for a run with my FR 405 for the first time today. Loved it! Just loved it! Eagerly looking forward to my next run.

A question for 405 users, why do we need to download the SIngapore map? After my run today, I transferred the data to my pc, and it showed my run on the Singapore map ( the one that looks like the street directory) and on google earth. So why download new maps? Thanks in advance.

i know what! somewhere in the near future, we can organise a Garmin Run!

Brokie, your Green Garmin is in hot demand. Quick! Sell it to the highest bidder :P

nah, it is my birthday cum anniversary gift leh! hm!

Then, can you get the watch to fit on your wrist? :unsure:

old man suggested what someone here did : wear a wristband under it.

Hello guys. Went for a run with my FR 405 for the first time today. Loved it! Just loved it! Eagerly looking forward to my next run.

A question for 405 users, why do we need to download the SIngapore map? After my run today, I transferred the data to my pc, and it showed my run on the Singapore map ( the one that looks like the street directory) and on google earth. So why download new maps? Thanks in advance.

hi cruiser, are u using the Garmin training centre or the garmin connect to view the map?

I am curious also. Since the route can be seen on Google Earth, why do we need new maps? I know the map in the GTC is outdated but Google Earth/Map is pretty recent.

I am curious also. Since the route can be seen on Google Earth, why do we need new maps? I know the map in the GTC is outdated but Google Earth/Map is pretty recent.

The download map, has very much more details as done up by map enthusiast and preety much more accurate. Yes, the online map is accurate too, but lack details like buildings. Later I will post an image.

An example how the map look like.

post-2591-1222136732_thumb.jpg

As in the image, hehe even good makan places and buildings also listed, so can download and have a look.

hi cruiser, are u using the Garmin training centre or the garmin connect to view the map?

I'm not sure as I opened both GTC and Garmin connect. I forgot which one of these showed the map :Confused:

The download map, has very much more details as done up by map enthusiast and preety much more accurate. Yes, the online map is accurate too, but lack details like buildings. Later I will post an image.

The map you've shown IS pretty detailed. I'll try to download it later. My wife is already pissed off that I'm using her pc when I have my mac :rolleyes: Well, just because I don't let her use my iMac, doesn't mean I can't use her pc, right? :Big Grin:

The map you've shown IS pretty detailed. I'll try to download it later. My wife is already pissed off that I'm using her pc when I have my mac :rolleyes: Well, just because I don't let her use my iMac, doesn't mean I can't use her pc, right? :Big Grin:

hehehe agree! PC got more program, u ask to use it is normal mah.

Yes, as answered by edison, the "malsing map" is developed by map enthusiast who individually contribute to each and every details of the map.....and that makes this map very accurate and detailed like the "mapking". And most importantly, it is FREE for everyone to use and they comes with Garmin version.....so whats more can you ask for.

The GTC that comes with Garmin does have a "PC Based" map, and you can also upload your activities to Garmin Connect online (google earth), but both of their maps is still not as detailed as "malsing map".

For example, brokie ran at CBP yesterday, and when she upload to GTC (PC Based Map), it shows her that she is running in the sea hahaha! :Big Grin: But if you used the "malsing map", it will actually shows you the correct path you are running in and not in the sea :)

Brokie, your Green Garmin is in hot demand. Quick! Sell it to the highest bidder :P

nah, it is my birthday cum anniversary gift leh! hm!

Then, can you get the watch to fit on your wrist? :unsure:

old man suggested what someone here did : wear a wristband under it.

Not bad. A practical suggestion at least :smilie_daumen1:

I'm not sure as I opened both GTC and Garmin connect. I forgot which one of these showed the map :Confused:

:nono: cruiser, you terrible leh... <_<

i have a question... got US map to download?!? can use this in US? :)

:nono: cruiser, you terrible leh... <_<

dear ripley, i think you can use this garmin in anywhere in the world.

wah seh... dear somemore... :Big Grin:

so where to download the world map then? :P

wah seh... dear somemore... :Big Grin:

so where to download the world map then? :P

i think there are instruction online for you to follow. er... actually i'm quite an idiot.... heh.... old man did everything for me while i watched.

You can used the "PC Based" map that comes with the GTC software. Should be good enough, but don't know how detailed is it.

actually... u can run anywhere...

from what i koe from FR305 this should be how it works..

either

1) run anywhere u like... then go to mapmyrun and see where u been...

2) got o mapmyrun and set where u want to run.. then u need to convert that and then upload it to your FR... then u can start the 'course' and the FR will navigate u..

For those who are interested in getting your Garmin FR 405 with local warranty,

please pm me with your contact number.

Best price = $508 with HRM + Local Warranty.

We will need at least 5 sets for the next group buy to realise.

Projected date: Early October

Will be combining with Tri-fam orders:

http://www.triathlonfamily.com/forum/index...?showtopic=6070

(Mods: If this Tri-Fam link is not allowed, please remove.)

Thanks for the effort. :smilie_daumen1: What will be the price for 405 without HRM?

For those who are interested in getting your Garmin FR 405 with local warranty,

please pm me with your contact number.

Best price = $508 with HRM + Local Warranty.

We will need at least 5 sets for the next group buy to realise.

Projected date: Early October

Will be combining with Tri-fam orders:

http://www.triathlonfamily.com/forum/index...?showtopic=6070

(Mods: If this Tri-Fam link is not allowed, please remove.)

Ya it is indeed very easy cuz yesterday, mine detected someone else HRM cuz I accidently enabled HRM on my 405 (i am using without HRM), and it recorded his heart rate on my watch :Big Grin:

alamak mak.... my GG battery went completely flat! i used it with the HRM this morning. it detect the HRM very easily.

Ya it is indeed very easy cuz yesterday, mine detected someone else HRM cuz I accidently enabled HRM on my 405 (i am using without HRM), and it recorded his heart rate on my watch :Big Grin:
alamak mak.... my GG battery went completely flat! i used it with the HRM this morning. it detect the HRM very easily.

insome way.. this sounds...kool... :D

News from shop owner is that local distributor only brings in 405 with HRMs.

405s without HRM are parallel imported.

Since we are getting local warranty sets, this group buy is only for 405 with HRM.

Thanks for the effort. :smilie_daumen1: What will be the price for 405 without HRM?

405 without HRM is parallel import??.....no lah.....you are wrong, local distributor does bring in 405 without HRM. Quite a few of us already bought without HRM, and still got warrantly from the local distributor.

News from shop owner is that local distributor only brings in 405 with HRMs.

405s without HRM are parallel imported.

Since we are getting local warranty sets, this group buy is only for 405 with HRM.

405 without HRM is parallel import??.....no lah.....you are wrong, local distributor does bring in 405 without HRM. Quite a few of us already bought without HRM, and still got warrantly from the local distributor.

That's exactly what i replied when the shop owner told me about the parallel imported thingy.

But he insists that it is true.

Anyway, as long as he can help to get decent prices for us - I think that is most crucial. :cheers: