Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cokiee

Team FatBird

the answer is cannot. but if you put in your heart and soul to train properly, you surely can.

Agreed with brokie.. 2.4KM was my nitemare last year.. but it's just 24KM divided by 10 after constant training.. :)

Anyway.. I know i am like 2 days (3 to be exact) late. I would like to thanks TFB giving me the opportunity to join this wonderful team for SCSM 2008. Without you guys and the routine training, I think I will never be able to achieve PB in my first Half Marathon Race.

aaaaaar.... wats a sub 4?

i know i confirm nid A LOT of training. as it is now, i can only train for next year's half marathon.

i smoker plus got medical problem, so nid more time dan others! :P

so to complete a marathon in 2009, i tink it's a bit... impossible lah!

i know i confirm nid A LOT of training. as it is now, i can only train for next year's half marathon.

Hello.. all TFB members know I'm a smoker too.. no excuses.. haha..

wahahahaha!!

true true!

but i never ran since sec 4! dats like... yonks ago!

i HATED to run.

so started only in august.

i'm one who can swim better dan running. so yeah, nid LOADS of time to train!

a kiasu runner, dats me! :Big Grin:

wahahahaha!!

true true!

but i never ran since sec 4! dats like... yonks ago!

i HATED to run.

so started only in august.

i'm one who can swim better dan running. so yeah, nid LOADS of time to train!

a kiasu runner, dats me! :Big Grin:

Hi Wu Kong,

if you ask around, I believe there are many runners out there who can share with you their marathon experience. Personally, I have never been a runner in my life and had never expected myself to run and complete a marathon as well.

I am not sure about the medical problems that you have but I am down with a birth defect that requires me to permanently take medication for life. Do remember that your health is still a priority. Make sure you get the clearance from your doctors before you settle down to achieve you marathon dream.

Talk is easy but putting it into action is difficult. If you have the determination and the right mindset, I believe you will fulfill your marathon dream one fine day (as long as your doctor certify that you're fit hor).

Train safe and most importantly, enjoy your runs!

Terry

NG!

danks, terry, for der advice!

i've consulted a doctor regarding physical activities b4. he said as long as i take my medication b4 each activity, i'm ok to go.

now is just to train for stamina.

right now, i anyhow humtum. run as much as i can each time, only resulting in severe aches den rest for many days. so end up, only training ONCE a week.

dats my only question.

is dat der way to do it?

NG!

danks, terry, for der advice!

i've consulted a doctor regarding physical activities b4. he said as long as i take my medication b4 each activity, i'm ok to go.

now is just to train for stamina.

right now, i anyhow humtum. run as much as i can each time, only resulting in severe aches den rest for many days. so end up, only training ONCE a week.

dats my only question.

is dat der way to do it?

No worries. Just my few cents worth.

I guess you shouldnt anyhow hum tum la. You can join some of the organise weekly runs. Find them in sme of the threads. FatBirds are always at River Promenade on Tuesdays and Thursdays to do i-runs (3km, 5km, 7km and 10k (unofficial)) There's also the CBD Runs or the Running Lab runs for you to tag onto for your training.

As for marathon training, looking out for groups that are doing their training and tag along their training programme. You won't really go wrong with that la. Make sure you are discipline enough to follow.

But maybe for now, you can try a half marathon first maybe next year's army half? :)

I am still learning too. :) Consult some of the sifus here. They will be more than happy to help you out!

as much as i wana join in some running groups, my work schedule sometimes doesnt forbid. so i end up running alone, taking advise from you sifus!

wen is army half usually held?

i actually plan to do in 2009:

1. nike human race 10k (if have lah)

2. GE 10k

3. SCM half marathon

4. vertical marathon up the swissotel

hope these can prepare me for the HM stand chart end 2009!

I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to all the 5:30 pacers :cheers: . Without you I can’t finish my first Marathon.

Quincy,

Congrats on finishing your 1st Marathon! You're most welcome, bro still thinking about the maseratis, ferraris? All your best for your next race!

b4 august, i cud only run max 2.4. only started serious training after dat.

my 10k timing is 1hr36min. i oni ran max 8k. den slogged my way back....

u tink i can do marathon meh..........

Wukong, i am never a fast runner. i started out with very short distance then slowly increase my distance to 5km, 10km, 21km. finally, i did an ultramarathon and a full marathon. I was injured during sundown this year but i coaxed myself to do it because i wanted experience one time then go back to shorter distances. my timing is never impressive even now when i have taken part in a number of races because i always do it slowly and at my comfort zone. i am one of the slower runners here. i did the half marathon for SCSM this year again. I know my pace is very slow so i made way automatically whenever someone wanted to overtake me. As a result, i had no photos this year at SCSM because i always ran the opposite side. By the time, i saw the photographer, it was too late for me to cut across the mass of runners plus walkers. I only had an unglam photo during the finish point. Surprised because i almost went to the 10km finish point.

I even started a thread many moons ago because i signed for for ahm 21.1km. I panicked.... i cannot do it. I remembered my first 21.1km, i was almost dying and i saw someone waiting to pace me back. so touched! it was like a full marathon to me.

if i can slowly do it, you will be able to do it one day too.

And I believe our dear spencer will quit smoking by next year hor? :Big Grin:

Hello.. all TFB members know I'm a smoker too.. no excuses.. haha..

b4 august, i cud only run max 2.4. only started serious training after dat.

my 10k timing is 1hr36min. i oni ran max 8k. den slogged my way back....

u tink i can do marathon meh..........

Hi there,

Not at this point in time....

Nevertheless, it is a possibility in a year to come if you have the will power and perseverance to do it. Rome is not built over night, and I have seen many non runners after a matter of 6 months to 1 year training were able to take on a full marathon. But I strongly emphasize in having a foundation before doing it.

Running a marathon is a self actualization process and a philosophy of what you want for yourself. It does not also prove anything if you cannot do it. It is an experience in life.

Our real enemy is ourselves. If you are able to conquer the fear of unknown, it's a good beginning.

Ultra

Running a marathon is a self actualization process and a philosophy of what you want for yourself. It does not also prove anything if you cannot do it. It is an experience in life.

Ultra

Good quote Ultra! It is indeed for this reason alone which i've taken running seriously..self actualization. Seeing myself being able to progress from 10k to 21k, and then now aiming for 42k next year is self fulfilling. The experience i encountered to progress from non-runner to short distance 2k, to a 10k, 15k and 21k is priceless. :) It will be even sweeter looking back after i've successfully completed a 42k.

Thanks for all the pacers. Especially, the 4:00 group.

Followed till 27KM, coz my heart rate was over 90% at that time. I decided to slow down for a more comfortable run. Guess I need to train at higher mileage next time.

See you all next year!

Thanks for all the pacers. Especially, the 4:00 group.

Followed till 27KM, coz my heart rate was over 90% at that time. I decided to slow down for a more comfortable run. Guess I need to train at higher mileage next time.

See you all next year!

hey yakman,

you were running alongside me for at least 15km yeah? Then you ran ahead to join Ultra/AeroRunner. I didn't see you fall back thereafter....so you achieved your target boh?

hey yakman,

you were running alongside me for at least 15km yeah? Then you ran ahead to join Ultra/AeroRunner. I didn't see you fall back thereafter....so you achieved your target boh?

yah, I should be in between Ultra/AeroRunner and you. But I didn't see you when I slow down after 25KM either...

I finished 4:24...didn't get it sub 4

In the second half I slow down for a comfortable pace and helped those who cramp...I had a first marathon without cramp..

I guess the first 21KM still a bit fast for me, heart rate over 90% of Max. Need to train more nexy year.

hey yakman,

yah, I should be in between Ultra/AeroRunner and you. But I didn't see you when I slow down after 25KM either...

I finished 4:24...didn't get it sub 4

In the second half I slow down for a comfortable pace and helped those who cramp...I had a first marathon without cramp..

I guess the first 21KM still a bit fast for me, heart rate over 90% of Max. Need to train more nexy year.

ok...do more training runs with us next year to condition your legs for that final 15km :)

okay, one step at a time.

First, quit your smoking.

Second, concentrate on 21km first in 2009.

Third, then we talk about 42km in 2010?

Hi all,

As a member of TFB i'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your company and support during the past 15 weeks of training. Together we have literally weathered the ups and downs, and have come out stronger.

In this marathon, it is not just the pacees who have gained; our pacers have learnt much from your being with us throughout this period of time too.

So once again, thank you for your commitment and company, and we look forward to the next edition! (:

Carpe Diem,

CoKieE.

would like to express my appreciation to the 4hr pacers, not sure of your names but i do recognise some of you from the last TFB training run and the running top. though i started abt 2 mins after gun start, managed to catch up with you guys at kallang mac, followed thru out ecp but lost you guys at kallang stadium. you guys were running very comfortably but i was really pushing it after 32km, esp the last 5km, it was a torture! managed to come in @ 3:58hrs chip time, really glad with my first marathon. now my itb aches badly on both sides.

look forward to more TFB training and learning in future. TFB rocks!

tummyMAN,

good on ya! Congrats. You must have lost us when we bump into that human 'wall'...took us a while to regroup some of the 4hr runners....glad that most of you kept up in spite...we were fortunate to have the optimal pace strategy to buffer us for 5min, so the unexpected human 'wall' did not really cause us heartache in the end.

Congratulations to all who ran and completed the SCSM08,

As a post-marathon LSD, we are planning a 20km+ recovery run this Sunday, 7am in the green lungs of MacRitchie Reservoir. It will be an opportunity for us to see the Ultra-Marathon 10.5km loop, as well as scenic routes along the pathways of some of MR25’s famous Progressive Runs (eg. Air-cond road, UPR, OUTR, Rifle Range Trails).

Those coming meet at the lower carpark at 6.45am. Please bring your own fuel and hydration. Pace will be smell-flower pace. Run till you are satisfied, and turn back anytime you wish.

PS: To help recognize us, I will wear the FatBird race day pacer top and blue cap.

Have a FatBird Sundae!

Does the rest of the pacers need to wear that also?

PS: To help recognize us, I will wear the FatBird race day pacer top and blue cap.

Have a FatBird Sundae!

Does the rest of the pacers need to wear that also?

Have a FatBird Sundae!

Yes acid, good to have that!

Sent you guys an email liao!