Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelonelyrunner

Garmin 405? Worth it??

Hi guys, can you upload data to a MAC from a FR 405?

I think its not compatible with MAC yet.

So far the watch serves me well. Only concern is the battery strength. Seems like battery drains very fast. Since charging last Friday and only using it for a 1hr30mins run, last night the battery strength reads 68%. And I only on the GPS when I run. So now I switch off the auto-detect accessories and computer pairing features to conserve power.

Or is it the wireless on the watch that consumed alot of power?

I think its not compatible with MAC yet.

So far the watch serves me well. Only concern is the battery strength. Seems like battery drains very fast. Since charging last Friday and only using it for a 1hr30mins run, last night the battery strength reads 68%. And I only on the GPS when I run. So now I switch off the auto-detect accessories and computer pairing features to conserve power.

Thanks Ang Kun. Bought a RS 200 sd, gave it to my bro. Now thinking about the FR 405 or the Polar RS 400 SD for myself. Going crazy deciding between the two. With the servicing for Polar really good (learnt from this forum), am kind of leaning towards the 400 sd, but am not sure about the foot pod. Sigh. Confused. Really confused. Please help!

hello triproton, do you have any regrets buying the 405? Is the software good for training, like the polar pro trainer? Thanks in advance.

So far no. I just took it for a 2 hour run yesterday and it was great. Battery power after 2 hours was about 70%. So plenty of juice left.

Thanks triproton. One last question. From what I know, the Garmin comes with 1 year warranty (the local agent has to send it to Taiwan!) as against 2 years warranty for Polar (great service, supposedly). Should this a cause of worry?

Personally, I find having another device (footpod) for the RS400 is kind of cumbersome....and the footpod is not small at all.....its kind like having an extra weight on your foot.

Thanks Ang Kun. Bought a RS 200 sd, gave it to my bro. Now thinking about the FR 405 or the Polar RS 400 SD for myself. Going crazy deciding between the two. With the servicing for Polar really good (learnt from this forum), am kind of leaning towards the 400 sd, but am not sure about the foot pod. Sigh. Confused. Really confused. Please help!

not sure if this has been posted, any recommendations of where is the best place in terms of price/service to get from in Singapore? How much should we be expecting to pay for the various models, including 405? Thanks for any info in advance :)

You can refer to this thread: http://www.sgrunners.com/forum/index.php?s...st&p=258063

Terry got quite a good price too for his 405. Maybe you would like to check with him also.

not sure if this has been posted, any recommendations of where is the best place in terms of price/service to get from in Singapore? How much should we be expecting to pay for the various models, including 405? Thanks for any info in advance :)

there is good and bad about footpod..

comparison with garmin FR305 and polar S625 shows that the footpod of the S625 is more accurate... in outdoor ( slightly covered) running . maybe the FR405 can do better...

footpod allow u to run indoor , although the FR405 was said to be quite ok indoor..., anyway... i think there is a FR405 footpod... that can be bought also...

how much money u have is wat u are going to buy :D

But how often will you run indoor? I have a FR205 for 2 years plus already, and I must admit that it is very accurate in terms of distance measured. Anyway, one man's meat is another man's poison. I don't own a RS, so I can't really compare it. Just give my personal view on the FR205.

there is good and bad about footpod..

comparison with garmin FR305 and polar S625 shows that the footpod of the S625 is more accurate... in outdoor ( slightly covered) running . maybe the FR405 can do better...

footpod allow u to run indoor , although the FR405 was said to be quite ok indoor..., anyway... i think there is a FR405 footpod... that can be bought also...

how much money u have is wat u are going to buy :D

Thanks acidburn. Agree with you, the foot pod would feel alien to me when worn on the shoe, an extra luggage. So far, Allbright quoted the best price, $535 with HRM. Let me pm Terry and find out. Thanks.

Thanks acidburn. Agree with you, the foot pod would feel alien to me when worn on the shoe, an extra luggage. So far, Allbright quoted the best price, $535 with HRM. Let me pm Terry and find out. Thanks.

please let me know also... i have a FR305 and was told the HRM can be used...

dun mind ask if without HRM is how much....

Try calling this one, might be cheaper:

Kwang Guan / Prestige Watch

231 Bain St, #01-37, Bras Basah Complex, S 180231

(Look for Jack)

Tel : 63387744

Hello hellhole, without HRM FR 405 costs $470 at allbright.

hehe i got it from Sim Lim Tower.. Maybe you guys can call them up and check the pricing. Maybe drop liao :)

I got mine at $550 but someone said he got it at $540 from merdeka right?

Do make sure you check on the warranty information. There isnt a Garmin Repair Centre in Singapore thus they would have to send it to Taiwan for servicing. The shop that I got from is called Hoan Enterprise. For any issues with the device, just bring back and they will send it back to Garmin in Taiwan for you.

Here's a list of dealers that you guys can refer to ba. http://219.142.87.70/navi/List/index.asp

I think there are more dealers available on the garmin site. Hope this helps.

hehe i got it from Sim Lim Tower.. Maybe you guys can call them up and check the pricing. Maybe drop liao :)

Do make sure you check on the warranty information. There isnt a Garmin Repair Centre in Singapore thus they would have to send it to Taiwan for servicing. The shop that I got from is called Hoan Enterprise. For any issues with the device, just bring back and they will send it back to Garmin in Taiwan for you.

Here's a list of dealers that you guys can refer to ba. http://219.142.87.70/navi/List/index.asp

Yup. It was me. I bought my 405 with HRM from Merdeka Audio in Sim Lim. Negotiated the price to $540. I went to Merdeka because Navicom recommended the shop to me. The price tag was $650 :o . So, you will need to know the price. It helped that I was carrying a print out from Amazon.co.uk. On hindsight I should have used Amazon.com! At the end of the day, there are not many shops carrying the Garmin Forerunner series.

Personally, I would rather have the GPS to measure distance than the footpod which will have to rely on the length of your stride. That will change from time to time during your run. Whereas the GPS will track it accurately. So far the distance and speed measure is spot on. I checked it against the odometer and speedometer in my car and it is almost a perfect match. You can't use GPS indoors of course, but then you will probably be running on a threadmill which have the distance and speed anyway.

I have a polar HRM also and I can say that the Garmin HRM is miles better. It is more consistent and it does not need as much moisture to operate.

Try calling this one, might be cheaper:

Kwang Guan / Prestige Watch

231 Bain St, #01-37, Bras Basah Complex, S 180231

(Look for Jack)

Tel : 63387744

Thanks acidburn, for the info.

hehe i got it from Sim Lim Tower.. Maybe you guys can call them up and check the pricing. Maybe drop liao

Thanks Terry, for the contacts and your advice.

Yup. It was me. I bought my 405 with HRM from Merdeka Audio in Sim Lim. Negotiated the price to $540. I went to Merdeka because Navicom recommended the shop to me. The price tag was $650 . So, you will need to know the price. It helped that I was carrying a print out from Amazon.co.uk. On hindsight I should have used Amazon.com! At the end of the day, there are not many shops carrying the Garmin Forerunner series.

Personally, I would rather have the GPS to measure distance than the footpod which will have to rely on the length of your stride. That will change from time to time during your run. Whereas the GPS will track it accurately. So far the distance and speed measure is spot on. I checked it against the odometer and speedometer in my car and it is almost a perfect match. You can't use GPS indoors of course, but then you will probably be running on a threadmill which have the distance and speed anyway.

I have a polar HRM also and I can say that the Garmin HRM is miles better. It is more consistent and it does not need as much moisture to operate.

Thanks triproton. I think I will go for the FR 405 with HRM.

Thanks everyone. Yaaay! Finally, no more confusions. Am going to buy FR 405 from one of the shops you guys have mentioned.

Yup. It was me. I bought my 405 with HRM from Merdeka Audio in Sim Lim. Negotiated the price to $540. I went to Merdeka because Navicom recommended the shop to me. The price tag was $650 :o . So, you will need to know the price. It helped that I was carrying a print out from Amazon.co.uk. On hindsight I should have used Amazon.com! At the end of the day, there are not many shops carrying the Garmin Forerunner series.

just a correction on the polar footpod. it does not solely rely on the length of your stride... it much more complex than that.

btw, i'm not a polar watch salesman, except that i'm using a polar rs200sd which i find to be quite accurate.

the biggest draw back of gps is the short battery life.

You are most welcomed.....see you around in some of the runs yeah.... :Big Grin:

Wow! This forum is amazing! Very helpful people here. (no, I'm not paid by sgrunners to say this). :)

Hello hellhole, without HRM FR 405 costs $470 at allbright.

thanks!!!!!

gotta check with the rest that i koe of HOAN ( SLT) and perfect watch (SLS)

You are most welcomed.....see you around in some of the runs yeah.... :Big Grin:
Wow! This forum is amazing! Very helpful people here. (no, I'm not paid by sgrunners to say this). :)

Guys,

Thanks for all the info and updates on GARMIN......

Cu guys at the 3rd Pearl Izumi 30 km run....

Mike, will the finisher tee be given out on that day?

Guys,

Thanks for all the info and updates on GARMIN......

Cu guys at the 3rd Pearl Izumi 30 km run....

Gee ...... ordered mine from Amazon 2 week's back at about S$506. Adding in the vpost charges, it should come out to be about the same buying locally. Should have shopped around SLS/SLT first. <_<