Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelonelyrunner

Garmin 405? Worth it??

i saw the garmin 405 at copenhagen!!! it is so so cool... definitely smaller than my current polar 200... the "touch" sensor on the watch is really good... just like ipod type... if you on the gps, its supposed to last for 8 hours... can't remember without gps can last for how long... i'm going to buy... though deliberating between this and the polar new 800 one...

anyone got any comments or know the comparison between the 2?

trust me, garmin platform is too complicated..polar rules..and the GPS technology, you dont get a clear signal under high rise building, with the 200sd you can run anywhere. if you are not into multisport or statistic..then no point getting the garmin.but if you are looking for cool gadget and have money to spend then garmin will be right..

actually, the garmin 405 is selling at US$349 while the polar 800g3 is selling at US$459... the polar 800 g3 is also operating using the gps while the polar 800sd is using the normal footpod... if that's the case, i seriously dun mind paying lesser and get a cooler looking gadget... :tongue_smilie:

what about the rest?

I am happy with my 205. serves me very well except for that fateful day during SCSM 2007 when the memory became full at 20 km! Lost the records after that. Sigh.

i saw the garmin 405 at copenhagen!!! it is so so cool... definitely smaller than my current polar 200... the "touch" sensor on the watch is really good... just like ipod type... if you on the gps, its supposed to last for 8 hours... can't remember without gps can last for how long... i'm going to buy... though deliberating between this and the polar new 800 one...

trust me, garmin platform is too complicated..polar rules..and the GPS technology, you dont get a clear signal under high rise building, with the 200sd you can run anywhere. if you are not into multisport or statistic..then no point getting the garmin.but if you are looking for cool gadget and have money to spend then garmin will be right..

actually, the garmin 405 is selling at US$349 while the polar 800g3 is selling at US$459... the polar 800 g3 is also operating using the gps while the polar 800sd is using the normal footpod... if that's the case, i seriously dun mind paying lesser and get a cooler looking gadget... :tongue_smilie:

what about the rest?

I am happy with my 205. serves me very well except for that fateful day during SCSM 2007 when the memory became full at 20 km! Lost the records after that. Sigh.

what about the rest?

i dont know about the rest but i have serious problem locating the satelites during the CBD runs..need to have a clear sky, and also the instant speed for garmin is not so accurate i think it lags abit however total avg speed is OK. Polar SD is really user friendly i like it that you can view all the lap data by pressing one buton. The garmin you got to plug it into comp to analyse the data. Also the garmin 305 buttons are damm stiff...you need to train your fingers to press them, i think they were built to MIL spec, the garmin is like bomb proof!

what about the rest?

what about the rest?

can see that you are really happy! :P

i'm not asking garmin 305 leh... i'm asking garmin 405 vs polar 800sd/g3... :tongue_smilie:

405 dun knowleh...haven't try... if 305 good... than maybe 405 oso good mah!

i dont know about the rest but i have serious problem locating the satelites during the CBD runs..need to have a clear sky, and also the instant speed for garmin is not so accurate i think it lags abit however total avg speed is OK. Polar SD is really user friendly i like it that you can view all the lap data by pressing one buton. The garmin you got to plug it into comp to analyse the data. Also the garmin 305 buttons are damm stiff...you need to train your fingers to press them, i think they were built to MIL spec, the garmin is like bomb proof!

the garmin 405 have touch screen feature just like ipod... so you can just touch the outer watch surface clockwise or anti-clockwise to activate whatever functions... so damn cool lor... :Big Grin:

i'm not asking garmin 305 leh... i'm asking garmin 405 vs polar 800sd/g3... :tongue_smilie:

do you have problem getting the gps signal while you run? is it because you run in the open area where there are no buildings? :/

the garmin 405 have touch screen feature just like ipod... so you can just touch the outer watch surface clockwise or anti-clockwise to activate whatever functions... so damn cool lor... :Big Grin:

do you have problem getting the gps signal while you run? is it because you run in the open area where there are no buildings? :/

nolah...i use in MR no problem leh... for speed... u need to set it to lap every 1 km...than u can get somewhere accurate speed. got this tip from one website...

Yes, I set to lap at 1 km. Quite accurate when I run the same route many times and using the mapmyrun website to check.

However, recently i find myself very very fast, according to the watch. Anyway, I use it now to pace myself.

In CBD, the NTUC building has been known to affect my Garmin during some of my runs there.

Yes, I set to lap at 1 km. Quite accurate when I run the same route many times and using the mapmyrun website to check.

However, recently i find myself very very fast, according to the watch. Anyway, I use it now to pace myself.

In CBD, the NTUC building has been known to affect my Garmin during some of my runs there.

roger, you sound as though you have improved so much that its almost impossible... :tongue_smilie: maybe you did improve... anything is possible... :smilie_daumen1:

nolah...i use in MR no problem leh... for speed... u need to set it to lap every 1 km...than u can get somewhere accurate speed. got this tip from one website...

the first thing i got my polar and 305 is set metric at 1km lap set.

Can actually use the history to view the data on the watch.

Hehe, I set 1km interval for my runs and 5km intervals for my cycling.

gps is know to have problem when there are high building.

so u cant really blame 305 for it...

i have a 305 and a polar 625... frankly speaking..i think the limits setting on the 305 is easier...

so both got pro and con...

if i run in dense jungle and quite open space (ie not much tall building) then 305 it is... else the polar footpod is the way to go...

here is a review btw 305 and polar 625.. the polar 625 clearly win in this case... in terms of distance accurary... imo... its just saying that the GPS signal suck in that area...

http://www.pccoach.com/newsletters/May06/C...S625XvFR305.htm

gps is know to have problem when there are high building.

so u cant really blame 305 for it...

i have a 305 and a polar 625... frankly speaking..i think the limits setting on the 305 is easier...

so both got pro and con...

if i run in dense jungle and quite open space (ie not much tall building) then 305 it is... else the polar footpod is the way to go...

here is a review btw 305 and polar 625.. the polar 625 clearly win in this case... in terms of distance accurary... imo... its just saying that the GPS signal suck in that area...

http://www.pccoach.com/newsletters/May06/C...S625XvFR305.htm

wow... that's cool! thanks for sharing this... :smilie_daumen1:

roger, you sound as though you have improved so much that its almost impossible... :tongue_smilie: maybe you did improve... anything is possible... :smilie_daumen1:

I certainly hope so!

Anyway, I hope to get the cool-looking 405 and retire the 205 although the 205 has served me faithfully all these while. Anyone knows when we can get our hands on the 405 in SG?

I certainly hope so!

Anyway, I hope to get the cool-looking 405 and retire the 205 although the 205 has served me faithfully all these while. Anyone knows when we can get our hands on the 405 in SG?

how long have you been using the 205?

i'm not sure when 405 will be available in singapore... i know they started selling in denmark... but in usa, it is not yet available...

I certainly hope so!

i'm not sure when 405 will be available in singapore... i know they started selling in denmark... but in usa, it is not yet available...

U sure? It is available on Amazon alr lei :P

I certainly hope so!

i also know... i've placed my order... but if you read carefully, it said "available for pre-order"...

This item has not yet been released.

You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives.

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

i also know... i've placed my order... but if you read carefully, it said "available for pre-order"...

Hmmm isit? cuz i know ppl who hv gotten it n using it alr lei... LOL ^_^

http://www.rei.com/product/767423

Hmmm isit? cuz i know ppl who hv gotten it n using it alr lei... LOL ^_^

http://www.rei.com/product/767423

you bluff me leh... :P

The item you selected is currently on backorder.

Product Quantity

Garmin Forerunner 405 HRM - Black

BLACK

REI Item# 7674230011

If you would like us to send your item(s) as soon as it is available, please click the "Backorder" button.

If you would like us to send the available item(s) now and the other item(s) as soon as we can, please click the "Backorder" button. You can always adjust the quantity in your Shopping Cart later.

If you do backorder, here's some great news:

We will not charge you for any item until it ships from our warehouse.

We may ship a backordered item separately from other items you've ordered, but you will not be charged any additional shipping fees. (Note: Oversize shipping charges on backordered items will still apply.)

I certainly hope so!

Sorry for interrupting the thread, just wanted to ask if anyone knows how to alter the scale of the pace vs time chart for the Forerunner 205? When I upload the data the chart scale is so big I can hardly even see the distinctions even between running and cycling. I think somebody mentioned previously that the software was rubbish.

PS: I did notice that the Garmin Forerunner 205 does tend to give overly slow pace readout when running on steep slopes or steps (it's not due to slowing when running uphill because it happens when running down slopes too, unless I really run fast down the slope). I'm not sure if it measures distance only as horizontal distance covered. It also gives from time to time apparently too fast/slow readings of pace when running under covered walkways. But it will correct itself fairly quickly and overall time and distance are fairly accurate. I was surprised by the large errors quoted in the article posted because I haven't experienced this.

when i use 305, i dun really bother to see the graph. i just used the speed, distance and time when i run, which to me is pretty accurate compared to other brands. it also help to compile the total mileage for my run when i upload it to GTC.

i do not have to calibrate or do anything. just put it on, wait for the signal and run. i do have problems in getting signal, but so far it wasn't a big problem to me. all i need to do is turn on 30 mins before my run to get the signal first.

besides that, garmin is limit to max of about 65 km of running at one time. so if you are running 84 km, you need to stop it, and reset at half way point.

And of course the batt couldn't last for longer ultras. Max 12 hrs of run? If you run more that, most prob you need 2 sets of 305.

It does happened to me that I forgot to charge it the night before my run. Felt very disappointed when the 305 batt was weak. I felt that I can't run without it! I am looking forward to have a garmin which could last like normal watch.

the only main problem that i have right now, is that i depend tooo much on 305 that i can't run without it! and that is sad! :(

My 305 is almost 3 years old, so it's almost time for an upgrade :Drooling:

Been reading rave reviews from 405 users in the States

User 1:

I received one last week..have used it on 3 runs...best running accessory I have ever purchased! I owned the 201, which I loved the feedback, but it was just too large. This thing is amazing..normal size watch, very sensitive gps receiver (locates the sats in 20 seconds!) and the touch bezel is easy to use...wireless sync to your pc when you get within 10 feet of your computer. Very nice watch.

User 2:

Have to agree that it's pretty great. I don't use it all the time, but when I do it does a good job of keeping satellites, even in New York's urban canyons -- something the 101 and 201 struggled to do.

User 3:

Mine took about 3 hours to charge fully the first time but significantly less after that (although I haven't charged it from 0% again).

It takes less than 5 seconds to pick it up the satellite. I was actually able to pick it up inside my house just goofing around.

I certainly hope so!

I have been using the 205 for about 1.5 years. My 201 had been a disappointment. My replacement is now with a good friend who is faithfully running in it.

It would be nice if we could pool together to get it somehow.

I just got my 405 in Perfect Watch in Sim Lim so surprise!!! Initially only want to get the 305 tonight, but when I reach there saw the 405 selling, of cause get the latest once :) according to them they start selling 405 few weeks ago.

Still charging, can't wait to run with it tomorrow.

I just got my 405 in Perfect Watch in Sim Lim so surprise!!! Initially only want to get the 305 tonight, but when I reach there saw the 405 selling, of cause get the latest once :) according to them they start selling 405 few weeks ago.

Cool! Do give us a review once you tried it.

Hehe, now you are getting all the Garmin x05 users excited. :)

:Party:

hey, how much you bought?