Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelonelyrunner

Garmin 405? Worth it??

This won't impact many people. but the battery life whilst in use is stated at 8hrs. The 305 is 'around 12' and the 301 was 14hrs.

Looks like they are sacrificing battery life to make it look prettier.

On the other hand, not many people do regular runs over that time, so maybe it's the sweet spot.

Gotta say, if I could combine the large screen of the 301 with the GPS accuracy of the 305 then I'd be a happy man.

I won't be upgrading, the 305 rocks and Amazon.com are doing some great deals on it right now. You should also check out the footpod (for treadmill running) and some of the bike accessories. Never been cheaper.

A quick trick for everyone with a 305. If you are doing a long event, turn off the heart rate search feature. saves some battery for you.

i understand lithum batteries have a limited lifespan, and the more you charge/re-charge the weaker it gets, so the 305 may last 10-11 hrs brand new only...subsequent usgae the battery will get weaker..I think...

This won't impact many people. but the battery life whilst in use is stated at 8hrs. The 305 is 'around 12' and the 301 was 14hrs.

On the other hand, not many people do regular runs over that time, so maybe it's the sweet spot.

Gotta say, if I could combine the large screen of the 301 with the GPS accuracy of the 305 then I'd be a happy man.

I won't be upgrading, the 305 rocks and Amazon.com are doing some great deals on it right now. You should also check out the footpod (for treadmill running) and some of the bike accessories. Never been cheaper.

A quick trick for everyone with a 305. If you are doing a long event, turn off the heart rate search feature. saves some battery for you.

did u turn off the heart rate during the mr25 ultra?

Yup.

I didn't need to know my heartrate :)

Yup.

I didn't need to know my heartrate :)

cool! thanks for the tips! :)

i have to agree that you do not have to know ur heart rate during ultra. cos u will run at a slower pace. the maximum that my heart rate was about 60 to 70% of max heart rate.

Does anyone know when is this product going to be available for purchase?

It is on Amazon.com already. $299.99 without HRM, $349.99 with HRM

But please take note that a 205/305 is at about half the price of a equivalent 405.

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2008/01/...posts-q-as.html

Q. The touch bezel seems cool, but does it work with gloves and will it keep getting pressed if I’m wearing long sleeves?

A. It’s a touch-sensitive bezel, so it works even when you’re wearing gloves. In fact, most of my runs with the 405 so far have been with gloves on and though it’s slightly easier to operate with a bare finger, it still responds when wearing gloves. It also has a bezel lock feature (hope this clear a few doubts)(press the start/stop button along with the lap/reset button on the side of the unit). This will prevent accident touches of the bezel. Unlock it by pressing the same two buttons at once.

Q. Does the 405 work with other heart rate monitor straps?

A. If the heart rate monitor (HRM) is ANT+Sport-enabled, the 405 can “pair” with the monitor to read the data. You can buy the 405 with a heart rate monitor or without. In fact, for customers who already have a Forerunner 305 and want to step up to the 405, they can purchase the model without the included HRM and then use their existing monitor. (I hear a few applauses) Pairing the HRM with the 405 is a simple menu operation.

Q. Can the 405 display calories burned?

A. Yep. And it also knows if you went for the brownie sundae for dessert. Okay, maybe not. (Good one)

Q. What is the battery life?

A. Battery life is 8 hours with GPS on and two weeks in power save mode (just showing the time of day on the screen). We expect that the battery will typically last 1 week with normal use.

Q. What kind of battery?

A. Rechargeable lithium-ion battery. You charge it through an AC adapter or through your computer’s USB port using the provided charge clip.

Q. Can it display my position as a breadcrumb trail like the 305?

A. No, there is not a map screen on the 405. (Bummer) However, there is still a “back to start” feature that allows you to navigate back to your starting point. (Applause) :Applause: In this mode, you’ll see a navigation page with a pointer arrow directing you back to your starting position.

Q. Does it keep track of your trail so it can be uploaded and shown on a PC as an overlay on a map like the 305 could do?

A. Yes. The 405 will interface with our new Garmin Connect site, which will similar functionality as MotionBased plus more. You’ll be able to store and analyze your data as well as share routes with a worldwide community of fitness fanatics and outdoor folks.

Q. Why no pace alert or time/distance alert like previous models had?

A. The Virtual Partner feature is now available all the time, rather than just during workouts and courses. You can set the pace at any point before or during your run. This will provide an easy way to see if you are ahead or behind your target pace. You can also set up a workout with a target pace so that you will get an alert if you are going too fast or too slow. Regarding the time/distance alert, the 405 has an auto lap setting that allows you to specify a distance. The 405 will automatically lap at that distance and beep each time. You can also set up a workout with time or distance steps.

Q. Will you be adding an altimeter to future models?

A. We’re always looking for ways to improve our products, so I can pass along that suggestion to our engineering team. While the 405 does not have an altimeter, it does record GPS-derived elevation, which can be displayed on the watch and tracked in Garmin Connect.

Q. What’s the waterproof rating of the 405?

A. Our specs state that the 405 is IPX7, which means it’s water resistant up to 30 meters. (This means that I can event take it for scuba diving?!?!) This is slightly different from a true “waterproof” rating, which would make the watch safe for surface swimming. Like previous Forerunner models, the 405 can handle rain and sweat, but it’s not designed for triathletes who want to use it to track their swims. (Bummer)

Q. Does it have a multisport mode?

A. No. You can switch to biking mode so that your activity will be tagged as biking when you upload to the computer, but you cannot link running and biking activities together, such as when multisport athletes do back-to-back “brick” workouts. The 405 will have an optional bike mount and can be paired with a speed/cadence sensor for use on the bike. However, the 305 will remain as our true multisport training device because it’s optimized for a quick-release mount from wrist strap to bike mount.

Q. How many data fields can be shown?

A. You can show 3 data fields (Someone is spot-on) on a page. You can also configure up to three training pages plus a heart rate page that shows up when you are wearing a heart rate monitor.

Q. The 405 is considerably smaller than the 205/305 — will that affect the accuracy?

A. The accuracy is very similar to that of the 305. There may be a slight difference due to the size, but it shouldn’t be noticeable.

Hmmm...

It is actually not an upgrade from 305. No map mode, shorter battery life, 3 data fields only. Well, it will attract people who like to use it as a normal watch. But I am keeping my 305. Wait until they have a 505.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The ForeRunner 405 is NOW available on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UNMI...a_email_title_1

so are u ordering this?

Hehe, no.

I like the 205 too much.

I prefer bigger screens. :) 老花眼 :P

from amazon, i thought this is for pre-order? not out yet...

Oh yeah hor. I really do need my glasses.

Hmm.... where did i put my glasses..... :P

i think u are very eager to buy right? hehe! dun deny ah... :P

i saw the garmin 405 at copenhagen!!! it is so so cool... definitely smaller than my current polar 200... the "touch" sensor on the watch is really good... just like ipod type... if you on the gps, its supposed to last for 8 hours... can't remember without gps can last for how long... i'm going to buy... though deliberating between this and the polar new 800 one...

anyone got any comments or know the comparison between the 2?

i saw the garmin 405 at copenhagen!!! it is so so cool... definitely smaller than my current polar 200... the "touch" sensor on the watch is really good... just like ipod type... if you on the gps, its supposed to last for 8 hours... can't remember without gps can last for how long... i'm going to buy... though deliberating between this and the polar new 800 one...

trust me, garmin platform is too complicated..polar rules..and the GPS technology, you dont get a clear signal under high rise building, with the 200sd you can run anywhere. if you are not into multisport or statistic..then no point getting the garmin.but if you are looking for cool gadget and have money to spend then garmin will be right..

trust me, garmin platform is too complicated..polar rules..and the GPS technology, you dont get a clear signal under high rise building, with the 200sd you can run anywhere. if you are not into multisport or statistic..then no point getting the garmin.but if you are looking for cool gadget and have money to spend then garmin will be right..

actually, the garmin 405 is selling at US$349 while the polar 800g3 is selling at US$459... the polar 800 g3 is also operating using the gps while the polar 800sd is using the normal footpod... if that's the case, i seriously dun mind paying lesser and get a cooler looking gadget... :tongue_smilie:

what about the rest?

i still love my garmin 305!!! :Love: :Love: :Love:

i'm not asking garmin 305 leh... i'm asking garmin 405 vs polar 800sd/g3... :tongue_smilie: