Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelonelyrunner

Garmin 405? Worth it??

Nice!!!

But I still prefer our current ForeRunner 205/305 for its large and customisable screen.

Looks good. I've had my 305 for over 2 years. Happy with it although, the HR reading is a bit jumpy at times.

Definitely will buy the 405 once it is released.

Wow! Looks very nice. If the battery will run like a polar watch, definitely on the buying list. already list in their website. Priced at US$318.47 (with local sales tax, I assume) in the website excluding the heart-rate monitor. It uses ANT+Sport wireless and I think should be compatible with the 305 HRM strap (also ANT wireless).

Here is the comparison

Wow... 2 weeks in Power Save mode. So I guess there is a function to disable GPS.

Definitely can wear it like a watch.

Unlike 305 which is stated as waterproof, 405 is only water resistant....

From reviews, it does looks like quite a number of enthusiasts cannot wait for the watch to be launched.

Wow... 2 weeks in Power Save mode. So I guess there is a function to disable GPS.

Definitely can wear it like a watch.

Unlike 305 which is stated as waterproof, 405 is only water resistant....

From reviews, it does looks like quite a number of enthusiasts cannot wait for the watch to be launched.

Size 305

(5.33 x 6.86 x 1.78 cm)

Size 405

(4.8 x 7.1 x 1.6 cm)

Aerosol, going by the dimensions, the 405 is not that Small!!!

The display size is about the same just that the 405 is 2.7 in dia, however note 405 has a much lower resolution.

the 405 typical battery life is 8hrs whereas 305 is 10hrs.

the 305 has a larger resolution hence the price is slightly higher than the 405 i think..

both are rated IPX7, std for immersion in water up to 1 metre for 30mins.

the 305 can store 50 routes, 405 none!!???#@$

405 can auto transfer data into comp, blah it just means wireless!!???

NOTE, the 405 do not trigger pace alarm when you fall below your preset pace, not good for racing!@

The 405 can inter transfer data btw users...how useful not sure..

Ok, from the comparison, i think the 405 is more of a dress watch, the 305 looks designed for competitions (note the absence of pace trigger in 405). I think the 305 with their antenna wrapped around the wrist will recieve signals better then the 405, let's see...

from demo and illustraion, the 405 is using a touch screen operation on the bezel?? this can be good or bad, like my samsung SGH-U700 which is over sensitive!!! e.g while running may accidentally touch the watch and change settings..etc

anyway i think garmin is far better in terms of price and technology compared to polar, but servce from polar is fantastic i heard..

Hehe, seems like they can't please everyone...

IMO, when you reduce the form factor, something gotta give.

Actually, it is not much smaller. 305 is 5.33 x 6.86 x 1.78 cm, 405 is 4.8 x 7.1 x 1.6 cm, it is still a very large size watch. I believe the bottom part of it is also the GPS antenna shaped around the waist. The 405 is still THICK. My Seiko watch is only 1cm thick, 1.6cm is still very thick. I guess it is still a diver watch size. And it is not much lighter either, 60g vs 77g and part of the lighter weight is the reduction of battery capacity!! I already wish 305 has a longer battery life. With only 8 hours of training battery life when it is new (typically, the battery get weaker and weaker), I have to give a second thought about "upgrade". It may actually be a downgrade from 305. For the route=0, not sure what it means, if it means the course that we can download to the watch, then, it is another setback. I use the workout course during some of my runs. Would not want to drop this feature either.

The smaller display is another part, I love the 4 data field in 305, from the photo it is only showing a 3 data field display, not sure whether the 405 will have a 4 data field display.

Even the 305 can turn the GPS off, but not sure whether it save enough power to use it as "normal" watch. But judging from the size, the 405 can only bearly classify as a normal watch to wear daily. On the other hand, the polar RS200sd is 1.75 x 2 x 0.5 inch in size ( about 4.4 x 5.1 x 1.3 cm) which is quite a bit smaller and can be used as a normal watch.

I do want to check out the new Garmin Connect (suppose to replace motionbased?) which is also usable in 305.

Actually, it is not much smaller. 305 is 5.33 x 6.86 x 1.78 cm, 405 is 4.8 x 7.1 x 1.6 cm, it is still a very large size watch. I believe the bottom part of it is also the GPS antenna shaped around the waist. The 405 is still THICK. My Seiko watch is only 1cm thick, 1.6cm is still very thick. I guess it is still a diver watch size. And it is not much lighter either, 60g vs 77g and part of the lighter weight is the reduction of battery capacity!! I already wish 305 has a longer battery life. With only 8 hours of training battery life when it is new (typically, the battery get weaker and weaker), I have to give a second thought about "upgrade". It may actually be a downgrade from 305. For the route=0, not sure what it means, if it means the course that we can download to the watch, then, it is another setback. I use the workout course during some of my runs. Would not want to drop this feature either.

The smaller display is another part, I love the 4 data field in 305, from the photo it is only showing a 3 data field display, not sure whether the 405 will have a 4 data field display.

Even the 305 can turn the GPS off, but not sure whether it save enough power to use it as "normal" watch. But judging from the size, the 405 can only bearly classify as a normal watch to wear daily. On the other hand, the polar RS200sd is 1.75 x 2 x 0.5 inch in size ( about 4.4 x 5.1 x 1.3 cm) which is quite a bit smaller and can be used as a normal watch.

I do want to check out the new Garmin Connect (suppose to replace motionbased?) which is also usable in 305.

Hmm...judging from the recent Ultra Marathon, looks like Garmin is a bit prudent when they state that ForeRunner 305 can last only 10 hours.

Both TLR and White Knight has theirs going for the full 12 hours.

How about yours? :)

Yeah route=0 , i am also guessing that it is the course that we can upload.

Somehow, i never got around to using that feature. :P

I love 205/305 BIG display too. :)

Garmin Connect is up and running , I think.

http://connect.garmin.com/

The only thing that it requires is the ANT+ software I think.

I tried downloading and installing it. But it won't allow me to install without the ANT+ USB Stick...... :(

Hehe, thought I could upload the data remotely to Garmin Connect using their Garmin Communicator Plugin.....

The program is looking for an attached device like a removable drive......Guess we need the correct hardware before we can use Garmin Connect

Hmm...judging from the recent Ultra Marathon, looks like Garmin is a bit prudent when they state that ForeRunner 305 can last only 10 hours.

Yes, the 305 runs strong. After 8 hours, it still has 2 bars (out of 4). I have a 5 minutes re-charge during the break (from a cigarette lighter USB adaptor in the car). Hmmm, the "test" from TLR and White Knight is a good testimonial. Will use it during the Sundown and see how well it works.

Yes, the 305 runs strong. After 8 hours, it still has 2 bars (out of 4). I have a 5 minutes re-charge during the break (from a cigarette lighter USB adaptor in the car). Hmmm, the "test" from TLR and White Knight is a good testimonial. Will use it during the Sundown and see how well it works.

i fully charge my garmin the night before. for mine, as i finished my last lap, which is around 11 hrs of working time, it left 1 bar and gave me a warning of battery low. it will be going flat any sooner!

This is how the watch looks when wore.

this guy looks like Garret...

i think he completed one of the desert races recently

the watch size looks ok on the demo wrist..

i fully charge my garmin the night before. for mine, as i finished my last lap, which is around 11 hrs of working time, it left 1 bar and gave me a warning of battery low. it will be going flat any sooner!

will the watch still kept record of the current data when the batt is flat?

I think so. It will probably record data till it goes flat. Hehe, you wanna try at IM Langkawi to find out? :P

I think so. It will probably record data till it goes flat. Hehe, you wanna try at IM Langkawi to find out? :P

but i am not doing IM langakwi, btu i dont mind lettung someone try for me heee

alamak ... babu ??? not doin IML ??? apa story ???

alamak ... babu ??? not doin IML ??? apa story ???

er thought just now we discussed already, left knee injured..sianz..:(

er thought just now we discussed already, left knee injured..sianz..:(

solee aaahh babu ... my memory not workin for me full time la

plz recover well and recover strong