Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nikerocks

swimming and running

u mean to say if our techniques is wrong,even if we swim for many laps,there is no use?

well.... you won't find yourself improving.... but you'll still be burning calories!!! :P

okay..it is expensive to find coach leh..

not really....

i think most swim coaches charges abt $80 - 90 month for 4 lessons ...

if u go to public gym clubfitt, i think there are instructors there. u can approach them for advice which is free. they can give u some tips. or u can read up book from the public library. many many books on strengthening and conditioning of body. some of these exercises u dont even need to go gym to do. y not test out on your own.

keeping fit > just run everyday for about 1 hour. even if you feel tired keep going, just slow down your pace. try this everyday, cause 1 hour of your time is not that much. after about 2 weeks, you'll find yourself slowly getting fitter, then you can start increasing to 1.5hours a day. swimming helps too as i think it increases your lung capacity or something, it takes up more time. slowly increase the running time

Swimming is a very good cross-training for running. For a few simple reasons which many earlier posts have mentioned:

1. It exercises more on the upper body, so it gives your legs a rest in between your runs. Also, with a stronger upper body and core, it will help you keep your form longer while running, instead of burdening your legs with more weight as you tire out in the later part of your run.

2. It is non-weight bearing, so for people with weight issues, this is actually a better form of cardio as oppose to running.

3. It helps to build up your stamina. Many people who get injured and can't run, usually do swimming to ensure that their stamina does not deteriorate as fast.

4. It will burn fats, though not as much as running, but good enough. :P

5. You get to bathe in the swimming pool..... eh..... I mean..... free bath at the shower room..... :whistle:

6. Cheap exercise.... you only need a pair of swimming trunks and a pair of goggles (some don't even need goggles)

So what are you waiting for..... start swimming!!! ha ha ha

But having said that, Swimming is all about technique.

You can go run heaps of mileage and for sure your running and stamina will improve.

But if your technique is not correct... piling up a few kms a week is not gonna help you improve much. You'll just be reinforcing your bad habits.....

Best is to find a swim coach and correct your technique, the earlier the better so that you have not set into the 'bad' habit. I also have problems with my kicks and is now taking lessons from a swimming coach: Alex Tung. His website was posted in an earlier post.

I'm still doing kicking drills now..... ha ha ha ha ha..... and I HATE IT!!!!! *sigh*

:P

sotong, u forgot something, its not as cheap as running, getting into the swimming complex cost $1 during weekday, more on weekend. Then after swimming , you will feel super hungry, can then eat sinful murtabak

Swimming is a very good cross-training for running. For a few simple reasons which many earlier posts have mentioned:

1. It exercises more on the upper body, so it gives your legs a rest in between your runs. Also, with a stronger upper body and core, it will help you keep your form longer while running, instead of burdening your legs with more weight as you tire out in the later part of your run.

2. It is non-weight bearing, so for people with weight issues, this is actually a better form of cardio as oppose to running.

3. It helps to build up your stamina. Many people who get injured and can't run, usually do swimming to ensure that their stamina does not deteriorate as fast.

5. You get to bathe in the swimming pool..... eh..... I mean..... free bath at the shower room..... :whistle:

6. Cheap exercise.... you only need a pair of swimming trunks and a pair of goggles (some don't even need goggles)

You can go run heaps of mileage and for sure your running and stamina will improve.

But if your technique is not correct... piling up a few kms a week is not gonna help you improve much. You'll just be reinforcing your bad habits.....

Best is to find a swim coach and correct your technique, the earlier the better so that you have not set into the 'bad' habit. I also have problems with my kicks and is now taking lessons from a swimming coach: Alex Tung. His website was posted in an earlier post.

I'm still doing kicking drills now..... ha ha ha ha ha..... and I HATE IT!!!!! *sigh*

it's really exciting to see your progess, you have a built like ian thorpe, terry laughlin..once you feel natural with your kick, you be swimming like a fish man...your type of built can easily do sub 25min for 1.5km.

it's really exciting to see your progess, you have a built like ian thorpe, terry laughlin..once you feel natural with your kick, you be swimming like a fish man...your type of built can easily do sub 25min for 1.5km.

:blushing: You see me too up liow...... *glurp*.... let me work on my kick first.... ha ha ha ha ha..... :P

Sotong - u forgot one more thing. The eye candy on display...... :Big Grin:

dirty old men.. <_<

sotong, u forgot something, its not as cheap as running, getting into the swimming complex cost $1 during weekday, more on weekend. Then after swimming , you will feel super hungry, can then eat sinful murtabak

Swimming is still relatively cheaper than running. A pair of trucks and goggles cost much less than a pair of running shoe or a branded running apparel (unless one is wearing one of those new hightech swimsuit like the LZR).

Food wise, it makes no different. We eat after swimming, we eat after running. Actually I eat after every type of sports and exercise :redface:

dirty old men.. <_<

Who who? :whistle:

Swimming is still relatively cheaper than running. A pair of trucks and goggles cost much less than a pair of running shoe or a branded running apparel (unless one is wearing one of those new hightech swimsuit like the LZR).

Food wise, it makes no different. We eat after swimming, we eat after running. Actually I eat after every type of sports and exercise :redface:

strangley, so far for my swim lessons and runs i do not feel hungry, infact i dont have appetite as my heart is still pumping fast. but there have been occasions when i run in maritchie like progressive 25km or cycle in desaru for 100km that i feel super hungry and needs to eat.. is it safe to say this is healthy?????

normally i go for swim before i have my dinner..after my swim,than i eat at home..but i dun eat more than normal..just the usual..

Good day,i am currently 104kgs..and i want to ask if i include swimming(around 30laps per session,very slow as i dun know how to use my legs correctly.only know how to use my hand to swim.)will it help me to improve my running?if so,in what way?will i be able to lose fats this way?

Swimming won't improve your running much, and vice versa. However, if your only aim is to get a good cardiovascular workout and lose weight (by this I mean fat, as you may put on muscle, which is fine), then either activity is plenty good. If you wish to swim well and fast, then good technique is extremely important, and the only sure way to get a proper swim technique is to engage a coach in the initial stages. Again, if it does not interest you to gain an efficient swim technique, and all you want out of the swim session is a good workout, then it matters not what technique you use, even doggy-paddle if you wish.

really?so as long as i do both of this on a regular basis,i should be able to see improvements in my fitness and weight in the long run right?

tiwazz,my friend told me his friend is charging 50 per session..so...

$50 per session (most likely its a 1 to 1 coaching)....

meaning $200 for 1 mth (4 wks)

most swim coach charges $80 - $90 for 1 mth (4 session)

usually class size of at least 5 ...

really?so as long as i do both of this on a regular basis,i should be able to see improvements in my fitness and weight in the long run right?

Don't obsess too much about weight, its the fat mass that is more important. If you swim frequently and/or do weights, you will likely put on a fair amount of muscle mass which will add to weight, which is fine. Swimming and running are aerobic activities, which if performed on a regular basis (i.e. 3x or more a week, >30 minutes each time), have been shown to provide health benefits including increased fitness. When paired with a proper diet regime, exercise is also an effective modality for weight loss/control. Swimming, although an excellent fitness builder, does not help very much with running, as the muscle groups used are too different. The reverse is also true. If you are only interested in getting a good workout, then perhaps you can consider not being bothered about getting a good technique (and swimming is ALL about technique). However, if you wish to procure an efficient swimming technique to make your swim sessions more enjoyable, then I strongly recommend that you get a good coach.

Guys, have something to ask. Though I been running for some time, 40km-50km per week. I find that my weight doesn't even go down by even a kg. My diet is quite okay. I just eat my 3 meals per day and I do nt snack except morning i do take a mini bar of chocolates. I am just curious why I couldn't even slim down for a bit....

Guys, have something to ask. Though I been running for some time, 40km-50km per week. I find that my weight doesn't even go down by even a kg. My diet is quite okay. I just eat my 3 meals per day and I do nt snack except morning i do take a mini bar of chocolates. I am just curious why I couldn't even slim down for a bit....

perhaps u r already very slim with an ideal weight.

Differentiate between losing weight and losing waist. Sometimes, you may not lose weight if you gain muscle mass, coz muscle is heavier then fats. A good gauge is to see if the normal cloths that you wear, does it feel loose now as compare to before?

Erm I am only bout 153cm and already 60kg. Haha... So by bmi I don't think my weight is ideal. Haha...

perhaps u r already very slim with an ideal weight.

Another reason could be... even though you're eating normal as before. But before you start running 40-50km per week, were you gaining weight consistently?

Maybe only now are you *just* matching the input-output of calories right now, so that's why no weight loss. hee hee.... too many possiblities....

More importantly do you feel fitter and better now? If you are, don't bother about the fact you didn't lose any weight. Just stay happy!!! :)

Erm sotong my shirt size "downgraded" from M to S. My waist also cut down by a few inches. So tt's why I wondering why my weight nt gg down. :Sigh:

Differentiate between losing weight and losing waist. Sometimes, you may not lose weight if you gain muscle mass, coz muscle is heavier then fats. A good gauge is to see if the normal cloths that you wear, does it feel loose now as compare to before?