Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nikerocks

swimming and running

Good day,i am currently 104kgs..and i want to ask if i include swimming(around 30laps per session,very slow as i dun know how to use my legs correctly.only know how to use my hand to swim.)will it help me to improve my running?if so,in what way?will i be able to lose fats this way?

Good day,i am currently 104kgs..and i want to ask if i include swimming(around 30laps per session,very slow as i dun know how to use my legs correctly.only know how to use my hand to swim.)will it help me to improve my running?if so,in what way?will i be able to lose fats this way?

nope...

swimming will not help u to improve ur running....

but.... it will help in ur cardio fitness n burning of fats too ...

don't mind me asking, are you really fat or just big size. the weight is sometimes not reflective of your body mass.

how's your metabolism rate?

i think i am fat leh..i am 1.68 in height lor...bmi i think is 36...so it is so much higher..how can i know my metabolism rate?tiwazz,can i know in wat way will swimming help me improve my cardio fitness?and i thought running is also cardio?if swimming can help me improve my cardio fitness,isnt it at the same time helping my running too?sorry,cause i really dun understand..

i think i am fat leh..i am 1.68 in height lor...bmi i think is 36...so it is so much higher..how can i know my metabolism rate?tiwazz,can i know in wat way will swimming help me improve my cardio fitness?and i thought running is also cardio?if swimming can help me improve my cardio fitness,isnt it at the same time helping my running too?sorry,cause i really dun understand..

i dunnoe if ur a gd/weak swimmer, for my case... i m a weak swimmer for 1 end to another end of my house swimming pool, i will pant very hard, its like i rather go jogging then go swimming.... but no choice when sometimes wanna rest my leg, i go swimming once IN A BLUE MOOn... but running helps alot.... there was a time when i wanna lose weight so hard i jog 5 times a week on weekdays each session around 35-50 mins....but as times goes by frequency less, but session goes up to 60 mins/session hope it will help u =D

i am average swimmer bah....i am studying leh on mon wed and fri so cannot run 5 times a week..

i also studying.... wanted to jog today... i end up sitting and play computer games :LMAO: so now its tues,i die die gonna jog today ..... but ur main motive is to lose weight or get stamina ??

u wana jog today?so u going down to the cbd run??haha..my main motive is to improve my fitness and running..of course i will wish to lose fats along the way lor..

u wana jog today?so u going down to the cbd run??haha..my main motive is to improve my fitness and running..of course i will wish to lose fats along the way lor..

no la .... finish school liao go jog lor .... still haven join those sg runner run yet .... just the transports can kills.... just some leisure OTOT jog by myself....but u can do HIIT training to lose weight effectively.... but u gotta ask the sifu ask u....they say when what heart pump faster or something u are doing it more effective...i also not sure how to explain.... maybe wait for the senior runners to explain for u, it will be clearer =D

i felt that swimming helped in my running...in the following ways..

1) it made my core stronger so i felt..erm...'stronger' while running. i dunno how to explain but i felt it helps lar...:P

2) when i started doing swimming intervals with a coach...i felt my stamina improve a lot and that translated to feeling less breathless while running.

3) so after swimming at a relatively higher intensity, i think i lost weight so it kinda helped in my running.

Ever realise that you get a hungry pang after a swim session? Personally, I think one should stick to running if losing weight is one of the primary goal. Should be able to lose weight with swimming, but I think that running definitely burns more.

That said, I'll leave it to the experts to comment on the subject.

As to helping with running ... I believe there are better and more effective ways to run better and faster. You may want to consider engaging the services of SgRunner's Sports Scientist.

with me so seriously overweight,is it safe to do hiit?

dont think u shld do hiit at all. frankly its better to bring your weight down thru good eating habit while doing slower aerobic exercises like jogging and swimming. i think the average swimmer has more bodyfat than runner (cant remember where i read it from). if your genes are against you. perhaps u may want to consider weight training to boost your metabolic rate as well while still maintaining your aerobic exercises. most of all u need discipline, everything else is secondary.

dont think u shld do hiit at all. frankly its better to bring your weight down thru good eating habit while doing slower aerobic exercises like jogging and swimming. i think the average swimmer has more bodyfat than runner (cant remember where i read it from). if your genes are against you. perhaps u may want to consider weight training to boost your metabolic rate as well while still maintaining your aerobic exercises. most of all u need discipline, everything else is secondary.

I second this method. That's how I brought my weight down initially by 10 kgs, so i can run more comfortably. When you go for weight training, go for the high reps one (dun know how you name it technically), 10 to 15 reps. 3 sets per exercise with a minute rest in between will do. doing more will not help.

What you do is you take some time to measure the heaviest you can carry. Start off with 60% of that max weight. Once you are comfortable, increase by another 5%. With a higher muscle mass, you essentially increase your metabolism rate. With a reasonably healthy diet(i don't beleive in punishing myself for not eating what I like - in moderation), you will start to see some weight loss.

With the cardio fitness that you have acquired from swimming, try cycling or stationary cycling. This will further raise your matebolism. Also, less strain on your joints, until you bring your weight down. And remember, 1 km at a time. there is nothing wrong with a 2 km run. Just make sure you make full use of the session.

I DUN EAT ALOT..I THINK MY DIET IS QUITE NORMAL..I GAIN WEIGHT FAST WHEN I DUN EXERCISE..

your anatomy is just like mine. if i stop moving, i will start to ballon. i am not an expert at diets, but i did learnt that eating right is more important than eating less. reason being, you need energy to exercise. just to share my experience.

Swimming actually exhaust 70% of energy(which I read somewhere) thus burn less than running.

I suggest you do brisk walking for a start as your body weight might torture your knees as you pound during running.

Lastly, sensible eating habit is very important. Try spread your meals into smaller meals. Avoid heavy

meal at any one time. It takes time and discipline to adopt this habit.

If you wish to improve your swimming, do check out this web www.singaporemastersswimming.com

hi,

just to answer your original question. swimmer and running are almost mutually exclusive. i used to swim but cannot even run 1km. i run more now and swim gets worse if i dont train.

i think run will work your heart more while swim works your lungs more. note that its more. swim is also more upper body while run is lower body.

some of the advices are very valid. i.e.

build muscle, muscle burns more calories. at the start (1st few months) u will see your weight increase but BMI should decrease.

go easy on "running" as its not so good for your knees at >100kg. brisk walking works too. look at how slim most of the walkers are.

1hour of walking will probably burn more than 1 hour of swimming.

doing this daily will help to bring up your metabolism.

there is no one to go gym with me and i am not sure how to build muscles with the weights..and i am worried of being crushed by the weight instead...

use a personal trainer if not the simplest exercise helps, & u can do it at home.

1 set of

sit up

push up

squats

tip top

dips

biceps

3 sets and # of times up to u and slowly increase.

do all slowly, feel the muscle being worked as u do the reps. there are many people i know who keeps to rock solid bod with just above. no need to go gym.

again have to do all religiously.

I agree with tofuman.

By the way, you may try 10 push ups and 10 sit ups every few hundred metres walk. You will be amazed how your body takes shape with regular and prolong training. Bear in mind, do quality reps..........fine definition will appear.

How bout just going for an easy 4-5km on alternate days and maybe you can go extra longer during weekends maybe around 7-8km for the start. Slowly build up your mileage up. Take walk breaks if you need, do not go fast, go slow. You build your base strength, fitness also at the same time. Running for a longer time will help to burn fats. Going to gym and pumping weights will only make you heavier, because your muscle mass will increase. Running will certainly help to decrease your mass. Watch your diet, no fat fried food, otherwise all those running will become useless. Gradually, I believe you will slim down, and your fitness will definitely become better. You can build your strength through all those basic exercises that the others have mentioned. my two cents. :smilie_daumen1:

How bout just going for an easy 4-5km on alternate days and maybe you can go extra longer during weekends maybe around 7-8km for the start. Slowly build up your mileage up. Take walk breaks if you need, do not go fast, go slow. You build your base strength, fitness also at the same time. Running for a longer time will help to burn fats. Going to gym and pumping weights will only make you heavier, because your muscle mass will increase. Running will certainly help to decrease your mass. Watch your diet, no fat fried food, otherwise all those running will become useless. Gradually, I believe you will slim down, and your fitness will definitely become better. You can build your strength through all those basic exercises that the others have mentioned. my two cents. :smilie_daumen1:

Agree with everything said here. It's important to have a positive attitude and not to rush things. You will feel hungry after exercises, don't increase your food intake unnecessarily. You will see results slowly and surely. :)

Swimming is a very good cross-training for running. For a few simple reasons which many earlier posts have mentioned:

1. It exercises more on the upper body, so it gives your legs a rest in between your runs. Also, with a stronger upper body and core, it will help you keep your form longer while running, instead of burdening your legs with more weight as you tire out in the later part of your run.

2. It is non-weight bearing, so for people with weight issues, this is actually a better form of cardio as oppose to running.

3. It helps to build up your stamina. Many people who get injured and can't run, usually do swimming to ensure that their stamina does not deteriorate as fast.

4. It will burn fats, though not as much as running, but good enough. :P

5. You get to bathe in the swimming pool..... eh..... I mean..... free bath at the shower room..... :whistle:

6. Cheap exercise.... you only need a pair of swimming trunks and a pair of goggles (some don't even need goggles)

So what are you waiting for..... start swimming!!! ha ha ha

But having said that, Swimming is all about technique.

You can go run heaps of mileage and for sure your running and stamina will improve.

But if your technique is not correct... piling up a few kms a week is not gonna help you improve much. You'll just be reinforcing your bad habits.....

Best is to find a swim coach and correct your technique, the earlier the better so that you have not set into the 'bad' habit. I also have problems with my kicks and is now taking lessons from a swimming coach: Alex Tung. His website was posted in an earlier post.

I'm still doing kicking drills now..... ha ha ha ha ha..... and I HATE IT!!!!! *sigh*

:P