Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolflet

hydration during training

Neither. I ran at East Coast Park and purchase 100plus every 7.5 km - McDonald's to Sailing Club and back and stop at bicycle kiosk near the jetty. My body can't take the weight of the camelbak. My 2 cents.

Pat

Neither for me as well. Scared to death of abrasion & things bouncing up & down on my waist/back!

I run with a bottle in my hand. still undecided wat to do for runs above 20K. :unsure:

won't get stitch if drink too much water while running?

500ml per 5 miles is ok with me. If the weather is hotter, I drink more. No water - no run. :-)

Pat

That is a myth. For long runs you really want to make sure you are getting the right amount of hydration and not stinging on fluids.

any preference over using the camelbak or fuel belt?

I use a 1.5L camelbak. It takes a little getting used to but I couldn't do my long runs without it now.

That is a myth. For long runs you really want to make sure you are getting the right amount of hydration and not stinging on fluids.

I use a 1.5L camelbak. It takes a little getting used to but I couldn't do my long runs without it now.

hmm wad will happen if u dun drink water ??? sometimes water are not so acessible ....

Try out the Nike fuel belt today, dun like it, too much bouncing, need to keep adusting the bottles to minimize movement.

Notice minor abrasion around waist area.

hmm wad will happen if u dun drink water ??? sometimes water are not so acessible ....

If you do that, you are putting your body at risk and can malfunction in the run. Why want to put yourself in such a situation to begin with? If it’s a short distance (very subjective...some 5km, some 10km, some 15-18km etc) I can understand. But it is advisable that you best sip at every 2-3km if you are doing long distance training.

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehydration)

"Symptoms and prognosis

Symptoms may include headaches similar to what is experienced during a hangover, muscle cramps, a sudden episode of visual snow, decreased blood pressure (hypotension), and dizziness or fainting when standing up due to orthostatic hypotension. Untreated dehydration generally results in delirium, unconsciousness, swelling of the tongue[1] and in extreme cases death.

Dehydration symptoms generally become noticeable after 2% of one's normal water volume has been lost. Initially, one experiences thirst and discomfort, possibly along with loss of appetite and dry skin. This can be followed by constipation. Athletes may suffer a loss of performance of up to 30%[2], and experience flushing, low endurance, rapid heart rates, elevated body temperatures, and rapid onset of fatigue.

Symptoms of mild dehydration include thirst, decreased urine volume, abnormally dark urine, unexplained tiredness, lack of tears when crying, headache, dry mouth, dizziness when standing due to orthostatic hypotension, and in some cases can cause insomnia.

In moderate to severe dehydration, there may be no urine output at all. Other symptoms in these states include lethargy or extreme sleepiness, seizures, sunken fontanel (soft spot) in infants, fainting, and sunken eyes.

The symptoms become increasingly severe with greater water loss. One's heart and respiration rates begin to increase to compensate for decreased plasma volume and blood pressure, while body temperature may rise because of decreased sweating. Around 5% to 6% water loss, one may become groggy or sleepy, experience headaches or nausea, and may feel tingling in one's limbs (paresthesia). With 10% to 15% fluid loss, muscles may become spastic, skin may shrivel and wrinkle, vision may dim, urination will be greatly reduced and may become painful, and delirium may begin. Losses greater than 15% are usually fatal. [3]

For adults over age 50, the body’s thirst sensation diminishes and continues diminishing with age. Many senior citizens suffer symptoms of dehydration. Dehydration along with hyperthermia results in seniors dying during extreme hot weather.

Dehydration is the excessive loss of water from the body. Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract can lead to dehydration in various ways. Often, dehydration becomes the major problem in an otherwise self-limited illness. Fluid loss may even be severe enough to become life-threatening."

Personally I am happy to do without supplemental (meaning during the run) hydration for distances up to 8k or so. Beyond that point, post-run, my urine volume is too low and too concentrated for me to be comfortable. It is a signal that I am getting dehydrated and if I were to train beyond that point without topping up on fluids, then I am putting myself at risk for heat injuries, cardiovascular issues and acute kidney failure. Besides, the training would be lousy as I would prob be feeling too fatigued to run properly. The purpose of fuel belt/camelbak is exactly for those situations, whereby water is not accessible.

last time if i drank before a race say less than an hr, will get stitch during run...quite scared...

so i like take sips now..

last time if i drank before a race say less than an hr, will get stitch during run...quite scared...

If you take huge amounts, obviously you will feel uncomfortable. If you are doing a long run, hydration is ESSENTIAL. If you get a bit of stitch, so be it, small price to pay for running safely.

i cant seem to get past 6km without topping up any water.. feel real weird after that distance and throat feels like sandpaper

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehydration)

"Symptoms and prognosis

Symptoms may include headaches similar to what is experienced during a hangover, muscle cramps, a sudden episode of visual snow, decreased blood pressure (hypotension), and dizziness or fainting when standing up due to orthostatic hypotension. Untreated dehydration generally results in delirium, unconsciousness, swelling of the tongue[1] and in extreme cases death.

Dehydration symptoms generally become noticeable after 2% of one's normal water volume has been lost. Initially, one experiences thirst and discomfort, possibly along with loss of appetite and dry skin. This can be followed by constipation. Athletes may suffer a loss of performance of up to 30%[2], and experience flushing, low endurance, rapid heart rates, elevated body temperatures, and rapid onset of fatigue.

Symptoms of mild dehydration include thirst, decreased urine volume, abnormally dark urine, unexplained tiredness, lack of tears when crying, headache, dry mouth, dizziness when standing due to orthostatic hypotension, and in some cases can cause insomnia.

In moderate to severe dehydration, there may be no urine output at all. Other symptoms in these states include lethargy or extreme sleepiness, seizures, sunken fontanel (soft spot) in infants, fainting, and sunken eyes.

The symptoms become increasingly severe with greater water loss. One's heart and respiration rates begin to increase to compensate for decreased plasma volume and blood pressure, while body temperature may rise because of decreased sweating. Around 5% to 6% water loss, one may become groggy or sleepy, experience headaches or nausea, and may feel tingling in one's limbs (paresthesia). With 10% to 15% fluid loss, muscles may become spastic, skin may shrivel and wrinkle, vision may dim, urination will be greatly reduced and may become painful, and delirium may begin. Losses greater than 15% are usually fatal. [3]

For adults over age 50, the body’s thirst sensation diminishes and continues diminishing with age. Many senior citizens suffer symptoms of dehydration. Dehydration along with hyperthermia results in seniors dying during extreme hot weather.

Dehydration is the excessive loss of water from the body. Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract can lead to dehydration in various ways. Often, dehydration becomes the major problem in an otherwise self-limited illness. Fluid loss may even be severe enough to become life-threatening."

wah so serious ?? i did a 18km for 2 hour 30 mins like that ... no water.... is it serious :Hypnotized:

wah so serious ?? i did a 18km for 2 hour 30 mins like that ... no water.... is it serious :Hypnotized:

Some seniors ever warned me that the impact can be a long term one.......potentially kidney stone? Painful experience to operate and costly too :/

If you take huge amounts, obviously you will feel uncomfortable. If you are doing a long run, hydration is ESSENTIAL. If you get a bit of stitch, so be it, small price to pay for running safely.

I experienced stitch when I either ate/drank too much before a run, and did not allow enough time for it to digest. If and when this happens, I find the following helps.

1. Slow down and press on the stitch part

2. If it still doesn't go away, or worsen, stop and do some stretching. I find that twisting to either sides works for me.

3. I read somewhere that the stitch is due to air trapped inside, so it may help to bent forward or lift the knee to try and "get the air out". I don't know the exact medical behind, but it has worked for me.

4. However, best is to avoid it altogether.

For me, I need to have at least 1 cup before a run. During long runs of >12km, I know I need to take some water, otherwise I run a risk of having blood in my urine afterwards! I understand it is due to not enough water in my bladder and somehow the bladder walls rubbing causes the blood. Nowadays, I am very careful.

Some seniors ever warned me that the impact can be a long term one.......potentially kidney stone? Painful experience to operate and costly too :/

wah reali or not .... i do it once in a while .... tt route seem challenging to me ... + no water.... T-T

I experienced stitch when I either ate/drank too much before a run, and did not allow enough time for it to digest. If and when this happens, I find the following helps.

2. If it still doesn't go away, or worsen, stop and do some stretching. I find that twisting to either sides works for me.

3. I read somewhere that the stitch is due to air trapped inside, so it may help to bent forward or lift the knee to try and "get the air out". I don't know the exact medical behind, but it has worked for me.

For me, I need to have at least 1 cup before a run. During long runs of >12km, I know I need to take some water, otherwise I run a risk of having blood in my urine afterwards! I understand it is due to not enough water in my bladder and somehow the bladder walls rubbing causes the blood. Nowadays, I am very careful.

Most of the time when you get stiches,it due to improper warm up done especially for the external abdominal oblique and we tend to overuse and land harder on a certain leg when we are tired or even for some at the start.The stiches would occur when we land too hard on a certain leg till the vibration is begin felt in our side organ(dunnoe call what).To counter it,simply slow down take slow deep breath and change your breathing technique in sequence with landing leg.Before stiches,maybe you are running with breathing out on right leg ,hence when you get stiches,breath out when you land your left leg.my 2 cents

that sounds quite serious! u not thristy? haha

thanks for the tips! ok, def will drink some water at least 1 hr before run
Most of the time when you get stiches,it due to improper warm up done especially for the external abdominal oblique and we tend to overuse and land harder on a certain leg when we are tired or even for some at the start.The stiches would occur when we land too hard on a certain leg till the vibration is begin felt in our side organ(dunnoe call what).To counter it,simply slow down take slow deep breath and change your breathing technique in sequence with landing leg.Before stiches,maybe you are running with breathing out on right leg ,hence when you get stiches,breath out when you land your left leg.my 2 cents

hmm, so must warm up abs also ar?

ya, i read abt the part where u switch the breathing out on which landing foot. for eg, if got stitch on left side, breathe out on right side instead

Haha... for me I just endure and breathe in deeply. For me even 10km runs need hydration cause I dehydrated heavily. Cause it is essential for me to take in water. =) Just take water for safety. That's how I feel. My $0.02.

ya, i read abt the part where u switch the breathing out on which landing foot. for eg, if got stitch on left side, breathe out on right side instead

erm nt to the state that it feels v dry, thirsty confirm have de, even during race, 500m after water point u also thirsty, but i can still bear wif it and trade off wif the slow speed ?? but i see a big diifference wif water( not sure if the gels also aid alot ) in SD and some training wif little water....

i cant seem to get past 6km without topping up any water.. feel real weird after that distance and throat feels like sandpaper

I got dehydrated easily even 4 10km run. I usually hold my water bottle & run wif it. It will get lighter as u run. Treat it as weights during run.

usually, for races <= 10km or <= 1 hour, I can go without water and not lose performance because your hydration plan before race should be able to last that long. Having said that, it also depends on the weather and temperature and adjust accordingly.

For people who drink water and get stitch, i believe you just need more time to adapt to the intake of water. Normally, when i drink water, I will walk and drink it at a moderate speed than just gage it down while i'm running. Unless you're trained with that, if not you are taking in alot of air with your water.

Anyway back to threadstarter's question, I haven't tried camel bag yet but i have tried fuel belt, don't really like it hanging around my waist. That's why I don't really like to do LSD unless i'm in east coast with lotsa water points (toilet tap water) every 1-2 km!

erm nt to the state that it feels v dry, thirsty confirm have de, even during race, 500m after water point u also thirsty, but i can still bear wif it and trade off wif the slow speed ?? but i see a big diifference wif water( not sure if the gels also aid alot ) in SD and some training wif little water....

Guys this article is clear and concise,read this up..

How Can I Avoid Getting Side Stitches When I Run?