Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daggersword

Body building

I am lifting weights currently, hoping to be more muscular. Will running make me lose my muscle mass, because most runners I see are very skinny. I am planning to run half marathon and I dont wish to be skinny. Is it for me to be good in running long distances and be muscular at the same time?

hi buddy. I think it all depends on what you define as muscular and skinny. Everyone is different. a good benchmark is BMI and skinfold test. To answer your question, you need to ask yourself , what's your training Frequency? Intensity? Training Method? Training Type? for BOTH muscle building and running.

But generally it's a misconception that running burns muscle mass? and it makes you skinny. It's not a case of running=skinny; but most long distance fast runners are lean and some are skinny (look at kenyans! duh?) but it does not mean running makes you skinny. Lots of our forummers are fast good long distance runners BUT some are not skinny at all, but they can run FASTER than any other skinny people altogether. cheers :Raised Eyebrow:

Yup, a couple of my running kakis and gym mates are adding muscles nicely to their body. Weights Training & Running is a good combination of Anaerobics & Aerobics workout. Just make sure you have a proper weights training routine or trainer at the gym to guide you. :53:

I am lifting weights currently, hoping to be more muscular. Will running make me lose my muscle mass, because most runners I see are very skinny. I am planning to run half marathon and I dont wish to be skinny. Is it for me to be good in running long distances and be muscular at the same time?

lifting weights and long distance running are good in burning lots of calories/fats. with proper diet, u can have 6 pecs visible. :tongue_smilie:

so wat do u want? a bulky incredible hulk body and a fast marathoner? wats your priority? wats your body type? there r runners and triatheletes with solid muscular definition body (not the bulky type) and they can do fast long distance runs. most of them lift weights for strength and not for bulk.

actually, excessive endurance sport and muscle building are mutually exclusive. Generally speaking if you want to put and maintain substantial muscle mass you cannot be running for very long distances, mainly because there will come a point where you body finds it difficult to maintain that mass because of caloric output.

This doesn't mean that you don't do cardio, though, because if that happens all you'll end up is look very big with very little definition (:

So if you ask me its about a balance - how built do you want to be? How much running do you want to do? Some sacrifices have to be made.

Yups bro. as mentioned by all, it all depends on what you want. if you want to be a body builder and compete as per the body builders in the magazines and stuf, then you must remember that they DO NOT stay that way throughout their life! they have On-Seasons and Off-Seasons...they have time when they diet and control their water and salt retention and they have specific body part training. They have forced reps, pyramids, stack and the works....so it might clash with your running goals. Then again what specifically is your run goal? what is you distance you intend to take and the time to complete. And of course When? do you want to achive them...

:Thinking:

good if you can tell us all this...then we can share....but i always believe that every one is different and what works for some will or willnot work for you, and vice versa...it's a journey of self discovery :cheers:

The recommendation is don't run more than 30 mins, eat 5-6 small meals a day, so half marathon is out of question.

What I do now is 2 session of gym on week day, during the gym session I either do interval training or hill training for half an hour on the treadmill follow by weight training. I only do one LSD on weekend.

I am maintaining my weight now but not sure for how long as I plan to do AHM.

actually, excessive endurance sport and muscle building are mutually exclusive. Generally speaking if you want to put and maintain substantial muscle mass you cannot be running for very long distances, mainly because there will come a point where you body finds it difficult to maintain that mass because of caloric output.

This doesn't mean that you don't do cardio, though, because if that happens all you'll end up is look very big with very little definition (:

So if you ask me its about a balance - how built do you want to be? How much running do you want to do? Some sacrifices have to be made.

hmmm... perhaps rather than aiming for the bulk of a competitive body-builder, it may be easier to aim for the bulk of a magazine fitness model? :unsure:

hmmm... perhaps rather than aiming for the bulk of a competitive body-builder, it may be easier to aim for the bulk of a magazine fitness model? :unsure:

yah you should look at renohtaram...lean mean running machine... :im Not Worthy:

The recommendation is don't run more than 30 mins, eat 5-6 small meals a day, so half marathon is out of question.

What I do now is 2 session of gym on week day, during the gym session I either do interval training or hill training for half an hour on the treadmill follow by weight training. I only do one LSD on weekend.

I am maintaining my weight now but not sure for how long as I plan to do AHM.

What is still important will be a good gym with a trainer who will be able to help you achieve it.

running and gaining mass can go together..running is cardio which can help burn fats if gaining lean muscle mass if what you are looking for..i would say go for it! i am running twice a week 7.4km each...gym twice a week...and at least a 30lap swim a week...feeling good...can be done try it!

cheers!=D

running and gaining mass can go together..running is cardio which can help burn fats if gaining lean muscle mass if what you are looking for..i would say go for it! i am running twice a week 7.4km each...gym twice a week...and at least a 30lap swim a week...feeling good...can be done try it!

cheers!=D

that is what I'm doing too. but i am still fat :tongue_smilie: . Gym 3 times, jogging 2-3 times a week. sob sob.

Actually since I started gym and jogging, I've gained more weight. I know the weight might be muscle, but it is a kinda low morale to look at the scale after hard exercise. haha.

Feeling good? yeah, sure. My sinus is almost gone, which is a miracle :).

guys...

it's not the amount of time you spend in the gym, lifting weights,running that matters! it's what you do everytime that does. true enuf the body weight or mass is made up of water+muscle+fats. so a lean runner doesn't mean he has no or lesser fats than the next person or it doesn't neccessarily meant that a big guy who does weights has more muscle compared to the next person. so you need to know what kind of balance you need to achieve and how much of training time and type required..look at the cast of 300...it took them 3 months of core training and others, to have a chiselled body...

so my advise is look up to a Certified Personal Trainer, who would know your Max Heart Rate, Max Rep, VO2max, Core stability, then can design a programme for you that doesn't imitate others... :cool_grin:

that is what I'm doing too. but i am still fat :tongue_smilie: . Gym 3 times, jogging 2-3 times a week. sob sob.

Actually since I started gym and jogging, I've gained more weight. I know the weight might be muscle, but it is a kinda low morale to look at the scale after hard exercise. haha.

Feeling good? yeah, sure. My sinus is almost gone, which is a miracle :).

Don't forget to watch your diet. If possible, avoid carbohydrate, unless you're preparing for the marathon.

Although, I admit that the Atkins diet does have an effect on the reduction in body mass. :Nerd:

Don't forget to watch your diet. If possible, avoid carbohydrate, unless you're preparing for the marathon.

Although, I admit that the Atkins diet does have an effect on the reduction in body mass. :Nerd:

yeah... exercise plus stress at work and personal life===>>> eating disorder===>>> fat! :P.

I know.

Trying to moderate. Although quite hard.

Anyway, come back to the main topic, I saw my guy fren could build up quite fast the muscle. One week plus of weight lifting, and can see the result. haha. Amazing right? So I guess not that tough to look big and muscular. well, but if you want strength and lean muscle, and 6 packs, gotta work hard for it. No other way round.

yeah... exercise plus stress at work and personal life===>>> eating disorder===>>> fat! :P.

I know.

Trying to moderate. Although quite hard.

Anyway, come back to the main topic, I saw my guy fren could build up quite fast the muscle. One week plus of weight lifting, and can see the result. haha. Amazing right? So I guess not that tough to look big and muscular. well, but if you want strength and lean muscle, and 6 packs, gotta work hard for it. No other way round.

Generally, guys will be able to develop muscle quicker. Especially so, if they had done weights training before.

Anyway, just keep your focus on the target and don't get demoralize about the slow progress. :smilie_daumen1:

Generally, guys will be able to develop muscle quicker. Especially so, if they had done weights training before.

Anyway, just keep your focus on the target and don't get demoralize about the slow progress. :smilie_daumen1:

yeah...agree :).

Thank you...

actuarry hor...i believe we all can eat anything la...as long as in moderation...No need to go extreme, unless you are a PROFESSIONAL BODY BUILDER or MARATHON RUNNER or MODEL, otherwise should all be able to enjoy life...it's called being SPORTS SPECIFIC as per ACSM,NASM and FISAF :Raised Eyebrow:

generally you also want to consider the body type of the person trying to build up mass. For all you know you may be a ectomorph whilst that friend of yours is an endo, or mesomorph.

But whats more important is not to skip your carbohydrates.

CARBOHYDRATES ARE IMPORTANT. THEY FUEL YOUR BRAIN.

If you try to do intensive exercise on close to zero carbs and very high protein levels, your body will switch to fat, and you will still get energy, but it will cost you: your body will go into a process called ketosis, and you may be poisoned by the by-products.

Also you will stink. (: AND you will have no friends because you will be so easily agitated and irritated that you snap at them for no reason (:

i cant remember offhand, but i think its the result of acetones which your body cannot use being passed out in your urine, as well as your breath. (:

Generally people who eats more red meats will have stronger body odour, due to the breakdown of the proteins, as Cokiee had pointed out. Then again there are many strict vegetarian who are not spared this problem as well. So don't forget about proper hygiene too. :Big Grin:

Btw, I'm curious to know why "CARBOHYDRATES ARE IMPORTANT. THEY FUEL YOUR BRAIN." :Confused:

Also, if you have friends who are on a diet, you will know that they do get easily agitated and irritated at times too. :lol:

Just my 2-cents worth.