Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jamessoh

Those lucky few who got the Nike+ Sports Band, give your comments!

I have used the Nike+ ipod for over a year and very happy with it . I used the armband for a few weeks and although I was quite happy with it , it has now stopped working after I went for a run in the rain .
Er I think we are talking about the sportsband here and not the Nano.

.... whatever

Folks, excerpt from the Nike+ Sportband User's Guide http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/utility/v1/en_US/help.html

No hot-tubbing with your Sportband :)

Nike+ SportBand Specifications

The Nike+ SportBand has a custom rechargeable battery made of lithium polymer. It’s an internal, non-user-replaceable battery. If the product hasn’t been used for a while, the battery may need to be charged. The battery is 80% charged in about 1.5 hours and fully charged in 2 hours.

Water resistance: IPX-7 can be immersed in one meter of water for 30 minutes. You can wear it to run in the rain, but don’t swim in it.

ATTENTION: Water damage may occur if the buttons are pressed underwater.

ATTENTION: Hot steam may cause damage to the product. Do not wear in steaming shower, spa or hot tub.

ATTENTION: Product should be rinsed thoroughly in fresh water after being exposed to salt water.

The operating temperature is 0 to 50° Celsius.

The buckle is made of stainless steel. The case is polycarbonate, and the strap is polyurethane.

Folks, excerpt from the Nike+ Sportband User's Guide http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/utility/v1/en_US/help.html

No hot-tubbing with your Sportband :)

Nike+ SportBand Specifications

The Nike+ SportBand has a custom rechargeable battery made of lithium polymer. It’s an internal, non-user-replaceable battery. If the product hasn’t been used for a while, the battery may need to be charged. The battery is 80% charged in about 1.5 hours and fully charged in 2 hours.

Water resistance: IPX-7 can be immersed in one meter of water for 30 minutes. You can wear it to run in the rain, but don’t swim in it.

ATTENTION: Water damage may occur if the buttons are pressed underwater.

ATTENTION: Hot steam may cause damage to the product. Do not wear in steaming shower, spa or hot tub.

ATTENTION: Product should be rinsed thoroughly in fresh water after being exposed to salt water.

The operating temperature is 0 to 50° Celsius.

The buckle is made of stainless steel. The case is polycarbonate, and the strap is polyurethane.

Mmm considering water seeps in even after a few splashes, I wouldnt even recommend wearing it in e rain

den again sometimes i guess it cant be helped! Perhaps one of a few lil tings nike can work on to improve in the future

I have used the Nike+ ipod for over a year and very happy with it . I used the armband for a few weeks and although I was quite happy with it , it has now stopped working after I went for a run in the rain . The FAQ on the Nike website claims it is waterproof but after only one hour running I can no longer read the screen :-( I have written to them with no reply yet .

I had similar problems with the USB link of the Sportband - moisture seeping in damaged the LED display within a week. Had it changed 3 times.

The last one I got seems to be a lot more robust though - it's survived for about a month now even though I've not been particularly careful about keeping it dry.

thinking of getting this soon but I guess I'll hold off for a while.

Can't decide if I should get

1) the sports band + velcro pouch to use with my other shoes

or

2) the old Nike+ ($55) a refurbed nano ($148) and an armband ($55)

Considering I usually run with a shuffle, the nano's kinda redundant.

lerkaile, with all the problems the folks here are reporting on the poor water resistance of the Nike+ SportBand, you might want to hold off getting one for now. Since you already run to music, a Nano will work well for you.

The only problem that I've found with the Nano is that it's difficult to read the display when it's on an armband. Try reading a tiny 1.5" display on your upper arm when you're running and you'd know what I mean.

I've been thinking of getting one of these 'handbands' for my 2G Nano.

MA_602956003_hand.jpg

Marware Sportsuit Sprinter

(update: case doesn't have space for the Nike+ receiver)

MA_602956003434_wrist.jpg

Marware Sportsuit Relay

They have something similar for 3G Nano's but I always feel that the 3G Nanos are a little too bulky for my puny arms. :)

hey Bungee,

thanks for your recommendations.

I'm gonna have to make a tough decision based on my tight budget.

the older Nike + w/ iPod nano will set me back by around $250, even with a refurb nano while the Nike+ Sports Band will set me back by $100. :Worried: That the thing gets damaged from a little bit of water is worrying. I did think of putting some putty or stuff to 'seal' the edges. What do you think? :tongue_smilie:

lerkaile, with all the problems the folks here are reporting on the poor water resistance of the Nike+ SportBand, you might want to hold off getting one for now. Since you already run to music, a Nano will work well for you.

The only problem that I've found with the Nano is that it's difficult to read the display when it's on an armband. Try reading a tiny 1.5" display on your upper arm when you're running and you'd know what I mean.

MA_602956003_hand.jpg

Marware Sportsuit Runabout

They have something similar for 3G Nano's but I always feel that the 3G Nanos are a little too bulky for my puny arms. :)

hey Bungee,

thanks for your recommendations.

I'm gonna have to make a tough decision based on my tight budget.

the older Nike + w/ iPod nano will set me back by around $250, even with a refurb nano while the Nike+ Sports Band will set me back by $100. :Worried: That the thing gets damaged from a little bit of water is worrying. I did think of putting some putty or stuff to 'seal' the edges. What do you think? :tongue_smilie:

MA_602956003_hand.jpg

Marware Sportsuit Runabout

Ehhh u referring putting putty on e nano or sportsband?

Not possible for e sportsband cuz u need to remove e device to upload ur runs

for e nano can try thou might end up voiding the warranty? hmmm

Errrr....with all the issues around this product, why on earth would one want to pay money to become a beta-tester for Nike and Apple? If you need a proper sports watch with distance measure, Polar, Garmin, Timex and Suunto all have a range of products at various price points.

Errrr....with all the issues around this product, why on earth would one want to pay money to become a beta-tester for Nike and Apple? If you need a proper sports watch with distance measure, Polar, Garmin, Timex and Suunto all have a range of products at various price points.

thanks for knocking some sense into me.

guess i'll hold off this purchase for awhile. :Straight Face:

how much wud the cheapest watch that can measure distance and calories cost?

Honestly its not all that bad la... got its pros n cons for everything

1 simple reason why ppl might choose dis over e other above mentioned devices is e price point?

1 simple reason why ppl might choose dis over e other above mentioned devices is e price point?

Hi Fred,

I agree it has an attractive price. Of course it is easy to criticise this retrospectively (as I am doing) when all the bugs have emerged. Certainly at the time it was launched, it looked like a very nice option, particularly if one were without a pace/distance counter to begin with. However, with emerging info, I think it is beginning to look more and more like a lemon. If one were considering a long term investment in a proper sports watch/HRM, this would rank pretty low in the list now, attractive price or not, wouldn't it?

Hi Fred,

I agree it has an attractive price. Of course it is easy to criticise this retrospectively (as I am doing) when all the bugs have emerged. Certainly at the time it was launched, it looked like a very nice option, particularly if one were without a pace/distance counter to begin with. However, with emerging info, I think it is beginning to look more and more like a lemon. If one were considering a long term investment in a proper sports watch/HRM, this would rank pretty low in the list now, attractive price or not, wouldn't it?

Mmmm i guess it depends on how U see it? No right no wrong also.. Haha..

To get a Polar/garmin etc would probably cost at least 3 times as much.

Bugs/defects wise like e connection issues, no backlight, water proofing i guess u get wad u pay for?

Might be a design flaw also which Nike did not take into account?

Then again for a sub $100, albeit just device I tink its still fine for its price

Helps that for e warranty bit its a 1 to 1 exchange n i dun have to wait for it to be serviced.

If one requires a HRM den i think e Nike sportsband is not suitable. For myself i didnt use e HRM at all wen i hv e Polar

So in a way its more economical also to switch to e Nike Sportsband given e much lower price

MA_602956003_hand.jpg

I just tried this out at an Apple accessory store at Plaza Singapura. There's not enough room for the Nike+ receiver. :(

Plus they only had it in pink! Oh well...

i also own a sports band. one important thing to take note is that after the run plug out the usb and clean out the sweat that sips in through the openings. i have been doing that after i discover it rust the usb contact points. after each run dun the whole watch into a container fill with drying agent like silica gels(you can find it in those tibits pack eg. wang wang or bin bin rice crackers do contain those dun throw away just recycle them).

i only bought switcheasy, just only before i even read the post so i going to try it out. previously i just dump the sensor into a small zip lock bag(you can recycle your medical pills zip lock) and place it on the top of my foot inside my shoe. if you ask whether will it be uncomfortable i would say its ok to me but i did find out if the sensor run too low the toes my sportsband is unable to pick up the signal from it and i will get less distance run.

since i dun want a sophiscated watch like polar or any other brands this is good enough for me.

I'm thinking of getting one this weekend as well.

Is the uploading of data to the website better now?Currently using a polar RS200 w/o footpod thus I require one distance/pace device esp when i am more result oriented.I have no nano as well so the sports kit is out of the question.

Is the uploading of data to the website better now?Currently using a polar RS200 w/o footpod thus I require one distance/pace device esp when i am more result oriented.I have no nano as well so the sports kit is out of the question.

Mmmm if u have e Polar why not juz purchase a footpod for it?

Albeit it cost more but saves u frm using 2 device?

I dun tink e issue with connection for singtel users hv been resolved at dis point in time

the singtel problem is only when u have the sports band or does it apply to the ipod+sports band?

i thought they say upload via itunes using singnet no problem?

Mmmm if u have e Polar why not juz purchase a footpod for it?

Albeit it cost more but saves u frm using 2 device?

I dun tink e issue with connection for singtel users hv been resolved at dis point in time

The footpod costs 200++..freaking out of my budget now.Thus, willing to get this sportband first b4 collecting 200 bucks for IPPT from SAF.Hopefully:)

Hello,

Anyone knows where to purchase the Marware pouch? I tried to find it at a few sports shops and Epicentre @Suntec today but could not find it.

Your help is appreciated!

i'm a singnet user

just managed to upload my past 6 runs today for the first time since i got it!

woot!

hope it remains successful all the time now!