Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jamessoh

Those lucky few who got the Nike+ Sports Band, give your comments!

Yup, i agree with you. Sadly its not mentioned in the newspaper reviews. I am sure whoever wrote the reviews is either not a runner or not a singnet user. Mine is on my desk collecting dust.

crap...but still can take out and measure distance run right?

but when full hor...can manually delete without using nikeplus anot?

also, can calibrate manually w/o the nikeplus website also?

After the initial figuring out, I didn't have any more problem uploading. It fact it is a breeze. But than again, I am using Starhub. But is it really a Singtel problem? Find it hard to understand why things like that can be affected by the ISP. Did anybody check the firewall settings on the comp?

Overall, my assessment of it is - if you want a cheap and effective method of monitoring distance, this is sufficient. It is pretty accurate even straight out of the box.

Hi Everyone,

Have been busy trying to get this problem sorted out.

Here is an extract from some mails flying around.

Sent: Wednesday, 04 June, 2008 2:20 PM

To: Singnet Technical Helpdesk; Wong Wai Sun; Pillai, Prabish (ETW); Lau, Patricia; Puah Soo Leng

Cc: Sandler, Robert; Engel, Janine; maysan compass; Lst-Nike.com.it.brand.support; Enslow, Kevin; Khoh, Sacha; Customer Care at Akamai; Bangera, Shwetha

Subject: {B-3-2OSUT3} RE: Sportsband Connection Problem in Singapore

Hi all,

This is a summary of what Choh Meng tried today, using the following source and destination:

Singnet Broadband (116.14.57.127)

Starhub Dial-up (203.116.124.106)

Akamai's Singtel server (125.252.225.24)

Akamai's Starhub server (124.155.222.67)

When Choh Meng used Starhub's Dial-up, he was able to use the Sportsband application to make an upload to both Akamai's server in Singtel and Starhub. On the Singnet Broadband connection, only Akamai's Starhub server was successful.

The application will fail consistently when connection attempts were made to Akamai's Singtel server via Singnet Broadband. However, if Choh Meng tried the same using a browser, he was able to connect successfully and I was able to confirm his access to Akamai's server.

Traceroute and pings from both ends shows clear network connection. We're led to suspect that only network packets sent by the Sportsband application might have been dropped on somewhere between the broadband connection and Akamai server.

Routers and network connection between Singnet and Akamai's Singtel server are within Singtel's management. Next steps on this is Choh Meng will check with his internal network team if they can initiate packet monitoring between the broadband connection and Akamai to determine if packet was dropped along the path.

Akamai will also be able to run a packet capture on the server network interface for a specific source IP at the same time, to determine if any packets arrived into Akamai's server. We'll need to schedule this on a call. Please let me know if you've someone on your end who can continue working on this case if you're off shift tomorrow.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Akamai Customer Care

So in conclusioin, we make no excuses for the problems. We will deal with them and any customer complains that come along with them.

Hope it resolves itself soon.

Thanks everyone for all your feedback and faith in NikePlus.

Regards,

Sacha

Thank you Sacha for trying your best in resolving the matter. We singnet users are very anxious!

Look forward to hearing good news!

I'm contemplating on whether to get this or the nike + ipod since I listen to my ipod while running anyway.

Both applications are similar right? The only thing is that nike + ipod uses ipod nano? I know I sound really dumb right now, my apologies.

Hi All,

Sweet Sacha from NIKE Singapore will be at our SGRunners 3rd Anniversary Celebration this Saturday, 21 June. Those of you who still can't upload your runs can bring along your sportband and use Sacha's laptop to upload the runs.

BrokenRunner

I'm contemplating on whether to get this or the nike + ipod since I listen to my ipod while running anyway.

Both applications are similar right? The only thing is that nike + ipod uses ipod nano? I know I sound really dumb right now, my apologies.

yup, same...they upload via itunes if i am not wrong

and compatible with ipod nano only

It is likely a problem with their software, third party runtimes (java/flash?) which they may use, system updates on the systems affected (different .dll versions than what they test using), etc. It is almost certainly a software issue on the client machine. There is a slight version it has to do with port access (getting information out of client machine), but if they do use 8080 then it shouldn't be an issue. It is not, in my case, and issue with the internet provider (I do not use Signnet regardless) or the router etc.

-GK

Wow, for someone who repairs computers for a living, you seem to have totally missed the point. As Sacha already said and recently re-confirmed, it's an ISP back-bone issue affecting Singnet users. You obviously have other issues with your machine that refuses to upload using your Comcast connection.

(Disclosure: I don't repair computers for a living, I implement and support ERP systems).

For those on the Nike+ system but are not into Nike shoes (let's face it, they aren't very good for running), I recommend the Marware pounch over the SwitchEasy RunAway.

Marware%2022.png

I've owned both and the SwitchEasy get loosen after a while and if you don't close it properly, you can easily loose the expensive Nike+ transponder.

As for myself, I'm back on using my iPod nano & iTunes to log my runs on Nike+. I've given up on Singnet and gave my Nike+ Sportbands to a friend who's on Starhub :)

i just decided to hang on to the sportband till the matter gets resolved...

hopefully soon.

anyway i run with shuffle...used run with nano, but tot it was too heavy! lol plus the armband was a bit ma fan too

For those on the Nike+ system but are not into Nike shoes (let's face it, they aren't very good for running), I recommend the Marware pounch over the SwitchEasy RunAway.

Marware%2022.png

I've owned both and the SwitchEasy get loosen after a while and if you don't close it properly, you can easily loose the expensive Nike+ transponder.

As for myself, I'm back on using my iPod nano & iTunes to log my runs on Nike+. I've given up on Singnet and gave my Nike+ Sportbands to a friend who's on Starhub :)

where can i get the marware pouch, bungee?

In the same places you'd buy the SwitchEasy RunAway and other Apple gear. I bought mine from the Apple Epicenter at Wheelock Place, but I think I've seen it selling at other places too. Cheers.

In the same places you'd buy the SwitchEasy RunAway and other Apple gear. I bought mine from the Apple Epicenter at Wheelock Place, but I think I've seen it selling at other places too. Cheers.

How much did you buy yours for?

And are you using the nike armband for your nano?

General question guys, is it true that once the battery dies for both applications, we would need to buy a new one? Can't just replace the batteries? Thanks!

How much did you buy yours for?

And are you using the nike armband for your nano?

General question guys, is it true that once the battery dies for both applications, we would need to buy a new one? Can't just replace the batteries? Thanks!

From what i know the battery in the sensor can run out thats why there is a switch behind (turn off if long time no use) usb component also since charged via usb.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

I think I shall get the nike + ipod. But it kinda sets me back when I got to know that the nike armband costs 54 bucks. Oh well.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

I think I shall get the nike + ipod. But it kinda sets me back when I got to know that the nike armband costs 54 bucks. Oh well.

ya lor...the deice is kinda cheap but must factor in armband cost...

Hi folks, copy of questions which I'll try to answer here:

Marware Sportsuit Sensor+

1.jpg

It's been a while and I can't recall how much I paid for this (should be around S$20) but it's still cheaper than getting a Nike+ shoe. I also find it easier to swap this between shoes, compared to the SwitchEasy. Click on the url above for the iLounge review. An advantage of using a pouch even if you have a pair of Nike+ shoes is that it will allow you to switch on/off the sensor easily, versus trying to get to it underneath your insole.

Nike+ iPod Sensor

AAAAAuiju9MAAAAAAKwCXA.jpg

This is the same sensor you'd get with both the Nike+ Sports Kit and the Nike+ SportsBand. For the latter, it's already pre-paired to your Sportsband/watch thingy. The battery (sealed and non-replaceable) is rated at 1,000 hours and you are able to turn it off (press small button behind for > 3 seconds) between runs. I strongly recommend you do so. I've been able to extend the battery life on mine using this method. Replacements are rather expensive at S$35 each and that's provided you can even find them. Most retails stores will only stock Nike+ Sports Kit (S$55) which comes with iPod receiver for the nano. I also suggest you bring along your Nano or Nike+ Sportsband when you purchase replacement sensors and test the sensor immediately in the store. It has happened to my friend twice that the sensor's battery was dead immediately after purchase. Fortunately, the store replaced them for him and even admitted that they were having similar problems with some batches! Don't expect this to be as accurate as some of the GPS enabled devices. However, for the size and cost, it works well enough for distance/pace measurement, even when uncalibrated out of the box.

Nike+ Website

nikeplus.jpg

The device client software (Nike+ SportsBand client software or iTunes) is installed on a PC, but you have to be online and connected to upload to and use this website. AFAIK, there is no way to download the results to your PC. Depending on the site traffic, my experience was that it was at times difficult to connect to it, which I attribute to its popularity. Recently though, it's been working rather well. If you choose, you can upload to the same account using both the Nike+ iPod Sports Kit and the Nike+ SportsBand. IMHO, this is the nicest interactive websites I've come across. I love how you can track and chart runs, setup challenges and even share routes if you choose. It's a lot more fun if you and your running friends use the Nike+ system. Even if you don't, you can still sign up for a free account just to explore the site.

Nike Sport Armband for iPod Nano

TP527_screen1.jpg

Ok, you don't HAVE to use the Nike Sport Armband for the iPod Nano but if you are using the Nike+ Sports Kit and run to music, this is recommended. The reason is that unlike most armbands, it is designed with space to accommodate the iPod receiver that goes onto the bottom of your Nano, not to mention the screen and ability to control the Nano volume/track easily. I use the same product for the 2nd gen Nano after trying different other armbands. The material is comfortable and easy to clean. For those that do not need to run with music, you can still use the Nike+ Sport Kit by running with the Nano in your hand, pocket or just any regular armband. No dangling headphone wires, just run monitoring. BTW, Apple makes a similar armband, but I like the Nike design better.

Final thoughts: Those of you who are less than impressed with the Nike+ SportBand (e.g. no backlight, no date as a watch), I suggest you check out the iPod Nike+ Sport Kit. It still only works with the iPod Nano (1st, 2nd & 3rd gen) but if you already happen to own one, S$55 is a great way to track your runs. Even if you don't already own an Nano, you might be able to pick up a 2nd hand one from auction sites for a steal. When my 8GB Nano died on me (out of warranty), I managed to buy a used 2GB 2nd Gen Nano for $50. :)

I just got the Nike sportband and it is easy to use. The only problem is still unable to connect to Nike+ via Singnet to upload my runs... Hope the problem can be resolved soon. Cheers !!

I have used the Nike+ ipod for over a year and very happy with it . I used the armband for a few weeks and although I was quite happy with it , it has now stopped working after I went for a run in the rain . The FAQ on the Nike website claims it is waterproof but after only one hour running I can no longer read the screen :-( I have written to them with no reply yet .

Thanks Bungee, that was very helpful! (:

I have used the Nike+ ipod for over a year and very happy with it . I used the armband for a few weeks and although I was quite happy with it , it has now stopped working after I went for a run in the rain . The FAQ on the Nike website claims it is waterproof but after only one hour running I can no longer read the screen :-( I have written to them with no reply yet .
Thanks Bungee, that was very helpful! (:

maybe let it dry out and it will work again... under a lamp...maybe

it DEFINITELY is NOT waterproof... Water resistant at best

Even juz splash abit will get water seeping in alr

Its a fact electronic components and water are not on gd terms

Mayb 1 of e reason why i had to exchange e other time cuz 1 row of LED blanked out

Gotta be careful when using it.. Haven tried using in e rain before yet

PS: its a gd ting U get 1-1 exchange coverage for a year over in SG

Correct, neither the Nike Sport Armband for the Nano nor the iPod Nano (or any iPod for that matter) are waterproof. It doesn't say anywhere on the Apple website that the Armband is waterproof. If you perspire a lot like I do, you might even be a little alarmed how much sweat the Armband material soaks up.

Companies like H2O Audio make waterproof casings for the Nano http://h2oaudio.com/waterproof.php . I usually carry a small ziplock bag for long outdoor run when it looks like it might rain. This is not only to protect my iPod, but also any other electronics that I happen to be carrying with me, such as my car remote/alarm key or my handphone. Electronics and rain don't mix.

Correct, neither the Nike Sport Armband for the Nano nor the iPod Nano (or any iPod for that matter) are waterproof. It doesn't say anywhere on the Apple website that the Armband is waterproof. If you perspire a lot like I do, you might even be a little alarmed how much sweat the Armband material soaks up.

Companies like H2O Audio make waterproof casings for the Nano http://h2oaudio.com/waterproof.php . I usually carry a small ziplock bag for long outdoor run when it looks like it might rain. This is not only to protect my iPod, but also any other electronics that I happen to be carrying with me, such as my car remote/alarm key or my handphone. Electronics and rain don't mix.

Er I think we are talking about the sportsband here and not the Nano. I don't think there is a waterproof casing for the sportsband... yet. Don't wear it to the shower. Don't even get it wet when washing hands!

Hi,

I bought the white Apple arm-band for Nano, and it was so thin that the heat generated from my body actually caused condensation IN the Nano itself. Now I use a holder and clip it on my waist. Works perfectly.

None of the arm-band or even Nano itself is waterproof.

Shine a torch into the ear-phone jack, if you see a red marking, that means your Nano has moisture in there. Which also means, Apple will not take it in for repair.

Tip: Bring to various Apple Service Centre and try your luck.