Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frogger8429

finishing fast

In the response to raven "If a few seconds don't count, why then all runners (fast or slow, those with full time jobs, running as a hobby) increase their speed when approaching the finish line?

Won't you do the same?",

Please quote properly. I didn't pose the above question.

Thanks.

raven, i believe triple meant to say "in SlingRunner's response to Raven...."

triple, correct?

Yes, it's more clearer to put it as Brokie did. But as I put it, it still means "in the response to Raven" not "In Raven's response", i.e, I was not quoting Raven.

I hope am able to succinctly express to you guys what it means to race. A race is not a run.

sure.......let us tell the organisers to disallow runners who "run" a race to take part but only allow runners who "race" to take part........racers also got to thanks "runners".....if not you will not have so many races to take part.......running has come so far around the world especially the states because of the runners and not the racers........

btw, a run is a run and a run race is a faster run.......a race is not a run only if you dun use you legs to displace your body over a distance..........

You have forgotten one more thing, you also need to thank the "runners" to make the "racers" shine in the race for not racing but running! :tongue_smilie:

huh...looks like Bug is a 'jogger'

- enjoy having shwee mei mei pacing

- only managed to do PB when i not aiming for it

- eats laksa before 'runs'

- dun sprint for last 500m, previous experience is leg cramp up juz b4 finishing line..end up worst

- not enough mileage for my 'runs'

Oops..aniwei i think each person enters a run/race with different attitudes and different

trainings/preparations/mentality works differently for different person. So lets' juz get down to

our runs/races and relex abit here..have a cuppa kopi..okie..Cheers :)

Hello Bug....I walk the race ^_^

I hope am able to succinctly express to you guys what it means to race. A race is not a run.

sure.......let us tell the organisers to disallow runners who "run" a race to take part but only allow runners who "race" to take part........racers also got to thanks "runners".....if not you will not have so many races to take part.......running has come so far around the world especially the states because of the runners and not the racers........

btw, a run is a run and a run race is a faster run.......a race is not a run only if you dun use you legs to displace your body over a distance..........

You have forgotten one more thing, you also need to thank the "runners" to make the "racers" shine in the race for not racing but running! :tongue_smilie:

Ultra Sifu, without runner taking part... the economical cost of just organising race for racer will be sky high too. :P

Hmm... now it seems the thread has changed to " Finishing Slowest!! ".. :blink: I guess everyone have diff views n objectives on this subject.. there is no Right or Wrong in this instance lah... Be Happy n like dkw mentioned we must respectfullly agree or disagree each viewpts.. pls dun start labeling each other lah .. ^_^ Look like the rains may fall soon... :smilie_daumen1:

Hello Bug....I walk the race ^_^

haha..we shall have a long long 'walk' on 31st May - 01st Jun..Cheers :)

Basically, there are two types of people in the sports. One is for performance another one is for fitness. So please respect each other in this forum! Thanks! <_<

Please be reminded on the rules again:

5. Respect and be tactful on people’s opinions, suggestions and feedbacks.

If I personally feel it's not tactful enough, I will close this topic.

Thanks again!

a sub 3:30 "jogger"?? :hail:

Ha ha ... Bug's "Sand-bagging".

Sandbagging is the practice of purposely placing oneself in a weaker position so as to give the deceptive impression that one is less skilled than one truly is.

Eg. "Wah ... you run so fast, how to catch up ?" And then he zooms past you in races.

a sub 3:30 "jogger"?? :hail:

Ha ha ... Bug's "Sand-bagging".

Sandbagging is the practice of purposely placing oneself in a weaker position so as to give the deceptive impression that one is less skilled than one truly is.

Eg. "Wah ... you run so fast, how to catch up ?" And then he zooms past you in races.

wei wei!!! wat 'sand-bagging' lah...Bug dun eat 'sand' lah..shld be 'Laksa-Bagging' instead :P..heehee

Richy, u joining us for AHM tis yr?? bring u eat AV craypot laksa..yummy yummy :P

wei wei!!! wat 'sand-bagging' lah...Bug dun eat 'sand' lah..shld be 'Laksa-Bagging' instead :P..heehee

Richy, u joining us for AHM tis yr?? bring u eat AV craypot laksa..yummy yummy :P

Me ? No lah. Doing the Aviva 70.3 instead.

(BTW, where is AV claypot laksa ?)

Me ? No lah. Doing the Aviva 70.3 instead.

(BTW, where is AV claypot laksa ?)

is rite opposite Queensway shopping complex..so u can dropby checkout the running gears and then pop over for yummy

laksa..heehee

A tempo run is also a faster run. An interval run is also a faster run.

Taz & dkw - I politely & humbly request that you guys define, in your opinion, what a race is.

Taz & dkw - I politely & humbly request that you guys define, in your opinion, what a race is.

i guess a race happens whenever you wear a bib or champion chip...

:lol:

i guess a race happens whenever you wear a bib or champion chip...

:lol:

Toddler wears a bib.

My friends wear a champion chip on their shoes all the time.

Hey Richy,

it was too bad we couldn't meet up at the CNY run, though I did catch a glimpse of you and slingrunner as you left the restaurant. Come back again next year, okay?

What is a race, in my opinion? There are many definitions out there, some of which refer to competition, some to motion and progress along a path, so it pretty varied I guess. I have seen your personal definition of what a race is, and one thing is very clear; even for a dedicated and talented runner like you, there is no hope of a prize, so ultimately, the competition and challenge is with YOURSELF. In other words, self-actualisation. You train hard to improve your timing, put in the miles, stay off alcohol, all for the time at the finish line.

So, that's what it is for me, 'self-actualisation'. I don't take part in every race to PB, I cannot, because I can't train that hard. But I do take part to see the time on the clock, I check up the race results to see where I placed, and then I tell myself I should have laid off the 2 glasses of wine the evening before :cool_grin: . Yep, I took part, put in an effort, got an official time, actually placed ahead of some folk.......I raced, and I am happy.

Cheers!

Hey Richy,

it was too bad we couldn't meet up at the CNY run, though I did catch a glimpse of you and slingrunner as you left the restaurant. Come back again next year, okay?

What is a race, in my opinion? There are many definitions out there, some of which refer to competition, some to motion and progress along a path, so it pretty varied I guess. I have seen your personal definition of what a race is, and one thing is very clear; even for a dedicated and talented runner like you, there is no hope of a prize, so ultimately, the competition and challenge is with YOURSELF. In other words, self-actualisation. You train hard to improve your timing, put in the miles, stay off alcohol, all for the time at the finish line.

So, that's what it is for me, 'self-actualisation'. I don't take part in every race to PB, I cannot, because I can't train that hard. But I do take part to see the time on the clock, I check up the race results to see where I placed, and then I tell myself I should have laid off the 2 glasses of wine the evening before :cool_grin: . Yep, I took part, put in an effort, got an official time, actually placed ahead of some folk.......I raced, and I am happy.

Cheers!

Respectfully but totally agree.

Best check the dictionary.....

Race: “A competition with somebody or something to find out who is the fastest or to see who can do something first.”

Best check the dictionary.....

Race: “A competition with somebody or something to find out who is the fastest or to see who can do something first.”

so if everybody's definition of "race" is different, then we don't have to debate anymore hor? or are we going to debate on the definition of "race"?

in all my run's (short(5km) or long(25km) )..i have a habit of finishing fast.( for example, sprinting as fast as i can for the last 300m)

what i want to ask is:

is that good for the body?

will it cause any visible improvement to my stamina and strength as oppose to not doing it?

thank you for yr time.

Sigh. This thread OT until I blur blur. :Hypnotized:

Please see post #1 above.

brokie, u and me better dun run anymore. when did we ever get the "fast and furious" tag??? I am not worthy of such a tag.

such tags could only be 'bestowed' upon the likes of stardust, bug, runalone, realrunner, freddy et al.

raven, you have over-reacted.

it is a compliment, a words of good, nothing damaging done (i think)

fast and furious, does not meant that you are "fast to get angry".

just swift on the feet plus looking great in our content. (running)

relax man

anyway OT liao :)

Burnz, thanks for the clarification. I doubt Raven misread it lah. Guess he was just joking bout "better dun run anymore"....it could be a humble rejection from being praised.

Anyway, my bad :blushing:. Sincere apology to both Brokie and Raven.

It seems to me that you have misunderstood me.

Since you have not defined what in your opinion, a race is ... this is what the dictionary says :

Noun - a contest of speed, as in running, riding, driving, or sailing.

Verb - to engage in a contest of speed; run a race.

I did not say that organisers should disallow runners who "run". You seem to think that a race needs to be a really big event where there must be 20,000+ people, a big bank sponsor and must have Finisher t-shirts.

On the contrary. A race can be just 10 people where the bet is "last one that crosses the line buys a really expensive dinner".

So if you've entered a running race where you have money on the line, then you'd better make sure you win.

And how do you make sure you win ? Train well & train hard.

How to train hard ?

Aside from tempo, intervals & long runs ... learn to run the last 500m really fast.

TLR runs faster than me. His '06 Stand Chart time is faster than mine. His '07 AHM time is faster than any of my Half marathon times so far. I admire him & actively follow his race results. He's my target & he inspires me to run faster. :im Not Worthy:

But if you look up the '06 AHM results, you will see that I beat TLR by a few seconds. This is because I sprinted the last 500m & overtook him.

The value of the finishing kick. And that's why you should Finish Fast.

eh... how come i am in the picture? :wacko:

anyway... to him, his own.... no one is right, no one is wrong... each one have rights to their own training, belief, values and views... and of course the definition of race and run, or even runner.... i may define it differently from others, even far away from what the dictionary define... at the end of the day, it's about how you feel inside... :)

anyway, richy, i still remember u overtook me during that AHM! heh! my tongue came out at the ending point!

For every one instance the proponents of a fast finish can show that a finishing kick made difference in a result of a long distance race, I can show 5 more where the winner won comfortably without having to resort to kicking. For competitive runner for whom this is bread and butter, it is an awesome weapon to have in the arsenal. But does it mean that world class marathoners who do not have a finishing kick are out of contention from prizes? Far from it, it just means they have to run differently. Finishing kick is a good to have but not a deal breaker, even at the world class marathon level. For the recreational race participant, it is even more irrelevant. Yes, tlr was beaten, was there a prize for that?

Since you have not defined what in your opinion, a race is ... this is what the dictionary says :

If you have followed the threads, dkw has voice the similar opinion as what I going to say...so I see no point in flooding this thread with more words.

BTW, the thread is not about finishing fast in a race........if there are further posting, lets get back to what the first post was asking