Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ivanyc

Running Gear in Tokyo

Hi,

Will be popping over to Tokyo in May. Was wondering whether there are any good deals in atheletic gear there? Shoes, clothes, hydration belts? any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.

Hey, I am going in May as well!! I heard Asics are cheaper there so will pop by to take a look

Me too... I will be going to tokyo in early may. I am also keen to know where I can get nice running gear in tokyo too.

Will be there from end Apr to early May. Actually heard that this the "golden week". Supposedly the japanese school holidays!!!

While I was there in Feb for the Tokyo Marathon, I found that there are heaps of interesting running stuff... :smilie_daumen1: ... I spent more than 2 hours in a huge sports store there... :tongue_smilie: ... here are some things to look out for:

- Asics (it's cheaper there, but I'm not a fan except their socks which I didn't find)

- snap buttons for number tags (it's something that you snap your number on your vest instead of using safety pins)

- Weider jelly (they have all types: energy, protein, multivitamins, fiber,etc)

- Phiten necklaces (slightly cheaper but huge range and variety)

- Snap watch (juz a simple watch but I like it coz it's small... not extra features, juz tells time)

- etc etc etc....

Enjoy and have fun!!... :)

Eliza, thanks for the infor.

Ham has also PMed me some infor which is also useful. please see the extract -

Hi,

I was in Tokyo with a few sgrunners few mths ago. Found some good buys at Jinbocho. This area has a Mizuno shop & a row of sports stores under same chain - Victoria (World of Sports equivalent)

1) Mizuno shop - 7 or 8 storeys. Each floor houses different sports gear eg. running, golf etc. The designs & colors were nice but the prices were equally "nice".

2) Victoria

2a) Sports Tights: My friend (Raven) bought a pair of Skins tights for about SGD130 (about the same price as what one'll get in Australia). Although the care label & stuff was in Jap but it was made in China.

2b) Sports Tops: I got a CWX top for SGD80+ (made in Japan). So far, i am happy with it...material, performance, color, cutting...everything!

2c) Shoes: Another friend (Burnz) bought a pair of Asics shoes. He said Tokyo has got a nicer range than Singapore. Prices are about the same.

2d) Others: They got a wider range of sports supplements/drinks eg. plum-flavored PowerGel, cola-flavored energy gel & even Nissin Sports Noodles (those cupa-noodle type).

Burnz & Raven : If u happen to read this post, maybe u wanna confirm the prices of ur purchases? I only rem my own :P

Ivan: One correction - I tink Burnz got his Asics shoes at the marathon expo. At Victoria, I checked out the Asics model that i wanted but didn't find a significant price difference.

Cheers!

Ham

Looking at other forum posts, I noticed that some state that the Kayano 14 was going for 12000 or 13000 Yen, this works out to abt 162-175.

Does anyone know where is the best deal for ASICS there?

While I was there in Feb for the Tokyo Marathon, I found that there are heaps of interesting running stuff... :smilie_daumen1: ... I spent more than 2 hours in a huge sports store there... :tongue_smilie: ... here are some things to look out for:

- Asics (it's cheaper there, but I'm not a fan except their socks which I didn't find)

- snap buttons for number tags (it's something that you snap your number on your vest instead of using safety pins)

- Snap watch (juz a simple watch but I like it coz it's small... not extra features, juz tells time)

- etc etc etc....

- etc etc etc....

Went for the nagano marathon in April this year. Saw the snap buttons but did not buy any. Liked the weider jellys very much and consumed them almost everyday. Saw soyjoy bars but did not purchase any. Bought a kayano 14 at the iseten in shinjuku for 14700 yen. Got my rebate of 700 yen in cash after filling the tax rebate form and showing my passport at the special counter in isetan. I couldn't get my usual us size 12 which is 29.5 cm and had to settle for a 29cm size. Their next size was 30 cm. The shoe is made in China.

- etc etc etc....

Very interesting buys. Two more details please: What's the name of the store and where's is it?

Very interesting buys. Two more details please: What's the name of the store and where's is it?

The store I went is called Super Sports or something... it's in Narita, 1 train station away from the airport :)

The store I went is called Super Sports or something... it's in Narita, 1 train station away from the airport :)

Hi Eliza,

How do the snap buttons for number tags look like? Do you have a picture of these to share with us? The next time I visit Japan, I would like to purchase these.

Cheers!

Hi Eliza,

How do the snap buttons for number tags look like? Do you have a picture of these to share with us? The next time I visit Japan, I would like to purchase these.

Cheers!

I don't have a picture of it, but it's the same as what aquilon has posted a few weeks ago:

http://aquilon.jalbum.net/Temp/

this is the copy once I commented for Tokyo Marathon 2008

'Shinjuku - Sport Gallery - it is three floor comprehensive sport shop and one whole floor is for running, you can buy domestic models of Asics, Mizuno, etc and CW-X

Shibuya - Art Sport - also big sport shop dedicated to running and tennis.

Ginza- there is ASICS pro shop where you can scan you foot and they offer suitable model to you

Harajuku - New Balance - NB offers japan specific models including mid foot strike mode.

(if you need more in detailed information, I will let you know).

-most of local models are good for Asian foot. If you wear 2E (men) or D(women), those models must be good.

-many of them are in lightweight category. If you like, it is Ok but if you don like, just stick to standard models.

- apparels are also for domestic market. I found the cutting is an bit smaller and shorts are tighter and shorter ( actually I don like).

- MOST SALES STAFF CAN NOT SPEAK ENGLISH. It will give you an exiting experience'

Burnz & Raven : If u happen to read this post, maybe u wanna confirm the prices of ur purchases? I only rem my own :P

Ivan: One correction - I tink Burnz got his Asics shoes at the marathon expo. At Victoria, I checked out the Asics model that i wanted but didn't find a significant price difference.

Cheers!

Ham

yup,

I bought the kayano 14 during the expo, good stuff, after the exchange rate,

it should be lesser or equal to a queenway shopping discount given.

hmm.. their asics range is different from our region, means the color is different, when i bought mine, it was red. I think in sg it come only yellow. red only japan has it.

at Harajuku, you can find NB, Addias, Nike... shop till you drop.

enjoy shopping.