Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

itsonlyjeremy

Better Freestyle Swimming By Swimming On Your Side

http://swimming.about.com/od/freeandback/q...estyle_side.htm
Many triathletes and open water swimmers have found it necessary to change their stroke and swim more on their sides in order to conserve energy, swim faster, and get through potential rough water conditions with greater ease.

is anyone here swimming like this ??

im not a very good swimmer but i think the only time i swim freestyle on the front is when pushing off the wall!!!! try pushing off the wall hands leading streamlined on the front and then rotate to the side and compare that feeling, you should be able to feel less resistance.

when you swim freestyle, try to stretch and lengthen your body, by lengthening your body you get that little more free speed using less energy compared to others who swim short and stroke harder..you should feel like a tip toe ballet dancer in the pool...

some expert advise pse....

u may wish to seek professional help. Can check out sea monster or yellowfish swim classes. :)

i just completed my first biathlon this yr using froggy haha.. bad timing so i'm hoping to change to freestyle. but i'm extremely horrible with it

i just completed my first biathlon this yr using froggy haha.. bad timing so i'm hoping to change to freestyle. but i'm extremely horrible with it

i also started with froggy, but after i switch to freestyle i found freestyle to use much much lesser energy but though freestyle is efficient, i can't sight in the open water with freestyle!!!

y bother to learn such 'fancy' stuff when u have yet to master the basics of frontcrawl?

imho, its good to do upper body strengthening exercises as u learn this stroke. i have seen countless swimmers struggling in the pool, panting hard and cant last long with frontcrawl. i personally feel such swimmers lack the correct technique and upper body strength. one without the other makes u less efficient.

y bother to learn such 'fancy' stuff when u have yet to master the basics of frontcrawl?

imho, its good to do upper body strengthening exercises as u learn this stroke. i have seen countless swimmers struggling in the pool, panting hard and cant last long with frontcrawl. i personally feel such swimmers lack the correct technique and upper body strength. one without the other makes u less efficient.

I thought swimming on the side is part of the correct freestyle technique? :unsure:

It's actually written in a lot of swimming books..... it actually make sense to swim on the side, which makes it easier for you to stretch your extended arm in front, make way for your pulling arm to push back, and allow your trailing arm to have a high elbow to recover back to the front.

That's what I was taught.... though... I'm still trying to perfect it.... :P

it happens to be one of the drills we do during seamonster class. I would say it helps with my stroke. I could tell the difference after 3 classes. hence it shouldn't be discounted "fanciful".

Also, I've learned that achieving natural buoyancy is important. "rest your face & chest" on the water and keep the butt up. Once your legs don't sink, you will swim with less effort.

Just my 1 satang,

very weak & slow swimmer

it is not fanciful, it is part of the basics of swimming freestyle. i notice if we don't swim on our sides we will struggle and pant and pant!!!!!

we swim on our sides 99% of the time in the pool. i think stroke count is a logical way to caculate efficency of the strokes, if you swim avg 16-30 strokes for 50 metre then i think you probably have the 'correct' freestyle stroke model already...try swimming relax and count your stroke count, you notice if you stroke faster you will end up with a higher stroke count, the trick is to obtain or maintain lesser stroke count with faster stroke rate (stroking faster).

i think for a beginner freestyle swimmer like us, we should concentrate on our body position, roll first. The pulling and strength comes only when we get the techique correct..

when i'm swimming in the pool, i realised tt those who r able to swim faster and look 'effortlessly' r the ones who swim on their sides... i'm trying to learn this 'trick' too.. but when i rotate my hips, my head tends to rotate too... after a few laps i'll feel giddy :wacko: ... haha.. however, i do feel tt i'm using lesser enegry...

when i'm swimming in the pool, i realised tt those who r able to swim faster and look 'effortlessly' r the ones who swim on their sides... i'm trying to learn this 'trick' too.. but when i rotate my hips, my head tends to rotate too... after a few laps i'll feel giddy :wacko: ... haha.. however, i do feel tt i'm using lesser enegry...

try not to rotate the head when swimming, even when breathing. the head must stay in one position looking at the bottom of the pool..eyes looking a few feet infront at the bottom lane of the pool. when you rotate your head, you change your body position and you create drag!!!!, i think the best is to get a coach. i learn freestyle on my own and now my stroke is horrible!

i also started with froggy, but after i switch to freestyle i found freestyle to use much much lesser energy but though freestyle is efficient, i can't sight in the open water with freestyle!!!

Same as me! In pool, I swim freestyle cos much faster & use less energy. But sea swim, got to use breast stroke then I can sight. :unsure: Anyone know how to oversome this sighting problem?

Same as me! In pool, I swim freestyle cos much faster & use less energy. But sea swim, got to use breast stroke then I can sight. :unsure: Anyone know how to oversome this sighting problem?

You can also sight using free-style, just gotta practise... :) Instead of turning your head to the side to breath... once in a while... turn forward to look and breath.....

to correct this sighting problem, i have learnt to swim bi-laterally, 3 strokes per breath. it seems to make my strokes more symmetrical however not as fast as lateral..have not tried open water swim with bi-lateral stroke yet. it's challenging!!

freestyle is not equals to front crawl

as the name suggests, free style = any style :D

during my first biathlon i realised that the water is so opaque that i can't even see my hands in the water.

that makes it quite hard to swim straight using front crawl because the proper technique is the swim with ur head look down on the floor. when u bend ur head up to see ur body will tend to sink and it won't be such an efficient swim already.

during the swim, i even saw 1 ang moh swim perpendicular to me. that is how bad his sense of direction is in the opaque water.

1 trick i used is to swim near the rope. e.g when the rope is on the left of you, u swim and breathe on the left. then u can follow the direction of the rope and never go wrong :tongue_smilie:

freestyle is not equals to front crawl

as the name suggests, free style = any style :D

during my first biathlon i realised that the water is so opaque that i can't even see my hands in the water.

that makes it quite hard to swim straight using front crawl because the proper technique is the swim with ur head look down on the floor. when u bend ur head up to see ur body will tend to sink and it won't be such an efficient swim already.

during the swim, i even saw 1 ang moh swim perpendicular to me. that is how bad his sense of direction is in the opaque water.

1 trick i used is to swim near the rope. e.g when the rope is on the left of you, u swim and breathe on the left. then u can follow the direction of the rope and never go wrong :tongue_smilie:

hee hee... you're right.... but most of them time, freestyle is synonymous to front crawl (though technically it is not completely correct) and we use these two interchangeably. I guess it's because it's the most efficient stroke among all the rest. So in swim meet, when they have a freestyle event, all the competitors will use front crawl.....

I've tried doing what you suggest..... sight he rope, but that'll mean we need to be able to breath on both sides... which I can't!!! :P So if the swim is anti-clock wise... I'm safe (I breath on my right)

But in some races... like Desaru... there's no rope!!!!! Just one big buoy out there in the sea.... :(

to correct this sighting problem, i have learnt to swim bi-laterally, 3 strokes per breath. it seems to make my strokes more symmetrical however not as fast as lateral..have not tried open water swim with bi-lateral stroke yet. it's challenging!!

Sigh...I can only breathe on my right, & the ropes are always on the left. The 1st time I swam in sea in Corporate Tri, I did front crawl. But every few strokes I sight, realise off course, so got to correct. In the end, I was going zig zag all the time, think swam at least twice the distance (by the time I spent)!

Think conclusion is I cant swim straight, so better off doing the unglam & slow froggy & cover min distance. :(

Sigh...I can only breathe on my right, & the ropes are always on the left. The 1st time I swam in sea in Corporate Tri, I did front crawl. But every few strokes I sight, realise off course, so got to correct. In the end, I was going zig zag all the time, think swam at least twice the distance (by the time I spent)!

Think conclusion is I cant swim straight, so better off doing the unglam & slow froggy & cover min distance. :(

i can swim bilateral but for race usually switch to my stronger side, it's so diffcult to improve on swimming really fustrating..

i can swim bilateral but for race usually switch to my stronger side, it's so diffcult to improve on swimming really fustrating..

babumouse: U can swim very well oredi leh.

I do agree with u on the bilateral breathing. I can do it if I do it slowly at the pool. When I need to go slightly faster, I am back to my 1side breathing...hahaha. Can be quite frustrating de lor.

babumouse: U can swim very well oredi leh.

I do agree with u on the bilateral breathing. I can do it if I do it slowly at the pool. When I need to go slightly faster, I am back to my 1side breathing...hahaha. Can be quite frustrating de lor.

swimming not my game lah, im still learning..you in alex class?

To be an efficient swimmer, it is important to know the basic technique of swimming. Efficiency in this context means ability to swim longer, faster and most importantly, at ease.

Many "swimmers" thought they knew how to execute the right strokes without going through proper training but end up clinging on to the wrong habit. However, it is not too late to get back to basic.

Take my case in point, despite having completed several Olympic distance Triathlons(ave. 32mins swim) and an Ironman race( 1hr 23 mins), I see the importance of getting to the basic.

Currently, I am under going the weekly Tri-Basic lesson with Alex ( Singaporeswimmingmasters.com) even though I was recommended to take the next level.

After 2 lessons, i was amazed at how much I have overlooked all these years of swimming.