Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ripley

JoongAng Seoul Marathon 2008

since i've proven myself in tokyo marathon that my last year PB in milano city is seriously no fluke, then i should try this while i'm still "young"... i've decided to try this marathon in south korea... the cut-off time is 5-hour... :Big Grin:

중앙서울마라톤

There are a few SGRunners (HalfTimer, DO, Ripley etc) who will be running the Chosunilbo Marathon in Chuncheon on 26 Oct. The following week in Seoul, there is Joong Ang Seoul Marathon. This is a big scale marathon with over 20,000 runners.

I understand that Do and Dream will be doing the double.

http://marathon.joins.com/sub_frame_e.asp

The course is a bit undulanting for the first 30k, then mostly downhill with a couple of rises in the last 12k, finishing at the 1988 Olympic Stadium. Weather is aroud 7-15c - which is 50-75% cooler than Singapore.

Jamsil Main Stadium → Lotte Department Store → Chunho 4-way intersection → Gildong 4-way intersection → Doonchon 4-way intersection → Olympic Park 4-way intersection → Tanchun Bridge → Suseo Station → Siheung 4-way intersection → Areum 4-way intersection (turning point) → Siheung 4-way intersection → Suseo Station → Tancheon Bridge 1 → Samjeon 4-way intersection → Jamsil Main Stadium

Time limit 5 Hours Entry fee 50 USD

Souvenirs Finisher’s medal, program booklet, record certificate, and a T-shirt

The registration deadline for foreign runners is until 15 July.

Anyone else interested?

Interested participants:

1. DO

2. DreamRunner

3. Feet of Fury

5. Sling Runner (have paid, but will only decide to run in September)

cheers

There are a few SGRunners (HalfTimer, DO, Ripley etc) who will be running the Chosunilbo Marathon in Chuncheon on 26 Oct. The following week in Seoul, there is Joong Ang Seoul Marathon. This is a big scale marathon with over 20,000 runners.

The course is a bit undulanting for the first 30k, then mostly downhill with a couple of rises in the last 12k, finishing at the 1988 Olympic Stadium. Weather is aroud 7-15c - which is 50-75% cooler than Singapore.

Jamsil Main Stadium → Lotte Department Store → Chunho 4-way intersection → Gildong 4-way intersection → Doonchon 4-way intersection → Olympic Park 4-way intersection → Tanchun Bridge → Suseo Station → Siheung 4-way intersection → Areum 4-way intersection (turning point) → Siheung 4-way intersection → Suseo Station → Tancheon Bridge 1 → Samjeon 4-way intersection → Jamsil Main Stadium

Anyone else interested?

Interested participants:

1. DO

2. DreamRunner

cheers

I am interested, registered yesterday. Sling, i thought the website says registration closed on 11 July, hope i was not too late.

Sling & Feet,

yes, I have registered for the ChunCheon and Seoul Marathons...back-back....something which I have not done before.

I plan to do a steady run at ChunCheon, followed by recovery for Seoul....let's see how they pan out.

Brokie, Vincent, Ripley, Beverly will also be doing the full marathon.

Let us get together over there and have a ball of a time. Cya!

Feet,

The website states 11 July but in an email the organizer says the following:

Dear Sir/Madam,

The registration period is until July 16.

Best Regards

Perhaps 11 July is the deadline for local runners.

cheers

Anyone else interested?

Interested participants:

1. DO

2. DreamRunner

cheers

I am interested, registered yesterday. Sling, i thought the website says registration closed on 11 July, hope i was not too late.

Feet... i think that they are still accepting late registration from overseas runners... if U face problem, pls let me know... i can give the " Special One " contact who can help!! ^_^

Anyone else interested?

Interested participants:

1. DO

2. DreamRunner

cheers

Feet... i think that they are still accepting late registration from overseas runners... if U face problem, pls let me know... i can give the " Special One " contact who can help!! ^_^

Thanks DO, sounds like it's gonna be fun with so many of us going. If i need help, will let you know, thanks again.

Feet,

The website states 11 July but in an email the organizer says the following:

Dear Sir/Madam,

The registration period is until July 16.

Best Regards

Perhaps 11 July is the deadline for local runners.

cheers

Thanks Sling.

Sling & Feet,

yes, I have registered for the ChunCheon and Seoul Marathons...back-back....something which I have not done before.

I plan to do a steady run at ChunCheon, followed by recovery for Seoul....let's see how they pan out.

Dream, i'm sure you'll be fine doing the back-to-back marathons... :smilie_daumen1:

jia you!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Feet... since the forum will be Down next week... in case, U need help for the Seoul marathon... try contacting this Special One... he /she has been very responsive n helpful!! 김현주 <special1@joongang.co.kr> ^_^

Feet... since the forum will be Down next week... in case, U need help for the Seoul marathon... try contacting this Special One... he /she has been very responsive n helpful!! 김현주 <special1@joongang.co.kr> ^_^

Thanks DO, appreciate it. :cheers:

Hey DO, i have registered for Seoul, thanks for your help, the Special 1 has been very helpful indeed.:)

Just wondering where you guys are staying in Seoul. I plan to arrive on Friday evening (31/10) and leave on Monday (3/11). Thanks again.

Hey DO, i have registered for Seoul, thanks for your help, the Special 1 has been very helpful indeed.:)

Just wondering where you guys are staying in Seoul. I plan to arrive on Friday evening (31/10) and leave on Monday (3/11). Thanks again.

Feet.. we are tentatively booked on SQ n Asiana... ETA Seoul , 24th Oct .. ETD Seoul, 3 Nov.. have not finalised our other trip n accommodations arrangements yet.. waiting to see whether we can secure better deals in the coming Natas in the 1st wk of Aug! :) Will keep U in the loop if u can pm yr email address to us... ^_^

Any suggestion for Seoul accommodation?

Feet.. we are tentatively booked on SQ n Asiana... ETA Seoul , 24th Oct .. ETD Seoul, 3 Nov.. have not finalised our other trip n accommodations arrangements yet.. waiting to see whether we can secure better deals in the coming Natas in the 1st wk of Aug! :) Will keep U in the loop if u can pm yr email address to us... ^_^

Any suggestion for Seoul accommodation?

DO, Asiana Cabin Crew is very Sweet..... :P

Flights booked !!

Flying by Asiana on Wednesday night, arriving Thursday morning. Going with my wife, hence will be staying at the Intercontinental (one subway station to the start point).

Perhaps we can meet for a carbo-loading dinner on Friday or Saturday?

Otherwise, a 'FAT-loading' BBQ lunch/dinner (kalbi/short ribs :yummie: ) on Sunday also can !!

cheers

Sling & Feet,

really envy u guys!!

ahahaha... but still gd luck and all the best to u guys for the events!!

Flights booked !!

Flying by Asiana on Wednesday night, arriving Thursday morning. Going with my wife, hence will be staying at the Intercontinental (one subway station to the start point).

Perhaps we can meet for a carbo-loading dinner on Friday or Saturday?

Otherwise, a 'FAT-loading' BBQ lunch/dinner (kalbi/short ribs :yummie: ) on Sunday also can !!

cheers

Hi Sling,

Our Seoul Accommodations are confirmed... budget type... located central seoul near Anguk Station near palace areas.. http://www.bananabackpackers.com/main.html

Feet will arrive seoul late thurday nite from Singapore... we will make our way to seoul from sokcho on thur's afternoon.. Cya U at Seoul marathon.. we can have a great feast on sunday after the race? ^_^

Do, Dream, Feet:

In case you don't get an email from the organizer, here is the newsletter:

Now we have only one month left until the 2008 JoongAng Seoul Marathon. We are pouring all of our efforts into the preparation for the race to provide all entrants with pleasant circumstances. We will be looking forward to see all of you at the day of the marathon. See you on November 2nd at Jamsil Main Stadium!

1. Updates on the course

Several changes have been made on both 10km and full course. Try making a new record on this updated course!

< Full-Course > < Course View (click) > < 10Km Course >

- Blue line : original course

- Red line : updated course

2. Checkpoints

For the Full marathon, chip mats will be located at 10km mark, half mark, turning point(25.5km), 30km mark, 40km mark as well as at the start and the finish. For 10km, chip mats will be located at three marks; the start, turning point and the finish. Please note that failure to cross all mats could lead to incorrect scoring or disqualification. After passing the finish line, all entrants are required to return their chips to the designated spot.

3. Street closures

The official ending time of the full race is 13:00 pm, 5 hours after the starting time, and 9:20 am for 10 km, 1 hour and 20 minutes from the starting time. To minimize the traffic inconvenience caused by the street closures, we partially reopen the streets, and thus, marathoners on the course after the appointed time should take the sweep buses. After the buses pass by, cross-street protection, medical assistance, aid stations, and other services will no longer be available. The entrants on the course who do not wish to take the sweep bus should move onto the sidewalk and watch for cross-street traffic for the remainder of the race.

Full course

Section

Reopening Time

Turning point(25.5km mark)

11:20

Se-gok intersection(34km mark)

12:20

10km course

Section

Reopening Time

Sam-jeon intersection(8km mark)

09:30

4. Beverages and Food

Water will be available at every 5km mark from the start, sponges soaked with water at every 5km from 7.5km mark. From 15km mark, sports drink will be available at every 5km. From 20km mark, Energy Zone will provide some food to energize you to the finish.

At 20km mark - SportsGel

25km mark - Chocopie, banana

30km mark - SportsGel

35km mark - Chocopie, banana

At the finish line, we provide water and snacks to all participants.

5. Souvenir Pick-up

Foreigners living in Korea will have their running kit mailed to the address written on the registration form. Other participants coming from abroad should come to the office located in Seoul Olympic Parktel (Berlin Hall on 4th floor) and pick up their running kit. The pick-up is available only from October 29th to November 1st 2:00 PM.

Just checked the current weather in Seoul. At 11am local time, it is 11c and 58% humidity (the marathon will start at 8).

Next week is the start of winter, so the temperature will be slightly lower. :Skull:

Just checked the current weather in Seoul. At 11am local time, it is 11c and 58% humidity (the marathon will start at 8).

Next week is the start of winter, so the temperature will be slightly lower. :Skull:

Seoul was about 7 deg celsius on tuesday... nice cool weather... i love it absolutely... you guys enjoy your race this coming weekend... :smilie_daumen1:

Seoul was about 7 deg celsius on tuesday... nice cool weather... i love it absolutely... you guys enjoy your race this coming weekend... :smilie_daumen1:

Ripley is not afraid to run in 7 deg C temperature. In fact, suits Ripley better than 17 deg C. :Big Grin:

Ripley is not afraid to run in 7 deg C temperature. In fact, suits Ripley better than 17 deg C. :Big Grin:

yes... you are right... i'm sure Dream, DO, Half Timer and Vincent can attest to this... :Big Grin:

At Changi airport right now, waiting to board the flight.

Dream, Do, Feet, Brokie - let's have a SGRunners post-race meal on Sunday. All the best to you all!