Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where to buy long tights & long sleeve tops for running?

Hi,

Any idea where can I get long tights & long sleeve tops for running? I need these apparel for sun protection purpose.

Now if one person knows about this here, it's gonna be me (take a look at the photo :).

My advice, go to www.skins.com.au

I know that 2XU are launching their compression products here (may have already). I know they have white too.

Make no mistake, white is the only way to go.

What are you planning to do. I could help you with some of your planning. I'm building up to do Badwater and have loads of research that I am happy to share.

Cheers

White Knight

Now if one person knows about this here, it's gonna be me (take a look at the photo :).

My advice, go to www.skins.com.au

I know that 2XU are launching their compression products here (may have already). I know they have white too.

Make no mistake, white is the only way to go.

What are you planning to do. I could help you with some of your planning. I'm building up to do Badwater and have loads of research that I am happy to share.

Cheers

White Knight

Thanks White Knight :) . Btw, where is 2XU? I need to try it on first before buying.

I just did my 1st marathon & MR25 Ultramarathon last year. Currently, now still trying to gain more experience in this kind of endurance sport. Will try do a few local races first.

Alternatively you can check out this website:

http://www.keypowerintl.com/

They just shifted office from Parkwat Parade to Changi Rd.

I have the 2XU long compression tights (black color). Used it in last year SCSM.

They have the 2XU long sleeve compression in white color at this moment. Not sure when the black color is coming in. The white color is very white. You can visit them and try out.

As for Kobe 2000 shop at Queensway which TLR mentioned, you need to go there after 2pm. They open from 1:30pm to 8pm. So far no luck for me to visit them cause they are not open even at 1:45pm. Better go in the afternoon is safer.

Hope this helps.

Kayano

I have the 2XU long compression tights (black color). Used it in last year SCSM.

They have the 2XU long sleeve compression in white color at this moment. Not sure when the black color is coming in. The white color is very white. You can visit them and try out.

As for Kobe 2000 shop at Queensway which TLR mentioned, you need to go there after 12pm. They open from 11:30am to 8pm. So far no luck for me to visit them cause they are not open even at 11:45am. Better go in the afternoon is safer.

Hope this helps.

Kayano

You can also contact the 2XU team in Singapore directly at

sam@keypowerintl.com (Sam NG)

Their old phone number was 63458827, although may have changed with their new location.

Hi,

Any idea where can I get long tights & long sleeve tops for running? I need these apparel for sun protection purpose.

Singapore is rather hot and humid so wearing long sleeves is not a very good idea. It will trap heat and may cause unnecessary problems even if u are wearing the best and most expensive specially designed attire for sports. Remember most of these products are not made for our Asian weather.

For sun protection, use sunblock or avoid running in the day - run in the early morning or evening.

Of course, if your purpose is not to get dark, than..........

Hi,

Singapore is rather hot and humid so wearing long sleeves is not a very good idea. It will trap heat and may cause unnecessary problems even if u are wearing the best and most expensive specially designed attire for sports. Remember most of these products are not made for our Asian weather.

For sun protection, use sunblock or avoid running in the day - run in the early morning or evening.

Sorry Tekko, but I have to disagree with you there.

A few points

1) Your body's mechanism for expelling heat is sweating. The current range of compression outfits from various manufactures (Skins and 2XU to name but two) 'wick' moisture away very effectively. So heat is not trapped. Heat is only trapped by layers of small air pockets. This is why people wear 'string vests'.

2) White reflects heat better than any other colour (including you skins colour). The best way to avoid heat is to stop it happening in the first place.

With the combination of the above two facts, and the advantages of compression, I personally think that there is benefit to wearing an outfit as described.

I'll be wearig exactly that during the MR25 Ultra and will be wearing a full black suit on the Sundown Ultra. The theory there is that heat is radiated outwardly most effectively by black. Since there is no sun, a different approach is needed.

Regards

Richard

As for Kobe 2000 shop at Queensway which TLR mentioned, you need to go there after 12pm. They open from 11:30am to 8pm. So far no luck for me to visit them cause they are not open even at 11:45am. Better go in the afternoon is safer.

Hope this helps.

Kayano

Their old phone number was 63458827, although may have changed with their new location.

What is the typical price of 2XU long compression tights? Do they have shorter ones as well?

TIA

Hope this helps.

Kayano

Thanks TLR & Kayano :) . I just came back from Queensway (work nearby, so went over during lunch time) and Kayano, your are right! Kobe 2000 shop didn't open yet. The shop put a notice that they open from 1:30pm to 8:00pm. :(

I'll try again after work.

Hi,

Hi Tekko,

I intend to use them for long run during the day cos my skin already started to itch from getting too much sun after the MR25 Ultra last year. I keep reapplying my sunblock after each laps at MR25 Ultra, but still find that sunblock can't stay and protect the skin for too long.

I intend to use them for long run during the day cos my skin already started to itch from getting too much sun after the MR25 Ultra last year. I keep reapplying my sunblock after each laps at MR25 Ultra, but still find that sunblock can't stay and protect the skin for too long.

sunblock will stay effective on the skin for 80mins oni...

after dat...u gotta re-apply...

You want to watch that itching.

You've already done some damage. Cover up in future.

I lived in Australia for three years where they are terrified of the sun. Trust me, you need to take care.

Hi,

A few points

1) Your body's mechanism for expelling heat is sweating. The current range of compression outfits from various manufactures (Skins and 2XU to name but two) 'wick' moisture away very effectively. So heat is not trapped. Heat is only trapped by layers of small air pockets. This is why people wear 'string vests'.

2) White reflects heat better than any other colour (including you skins colour). The best way to avoid heat is to stop it happening in the first place.

With the combination of the above two facts, and the advantages of compression, I personally think that there is benefit to wearing an outfit as described.

I'll be wearig exactly that during the MR25 Ultra and will be wearing a full black suit on the Sundown Ultra. The theory there is that heat is radiated outwardly most effectively by black. Since there is no sun, a different approach is needed.

Regards

Richard

Generally I agree with your points on the white and black. But for running in the tropics over extended distances (we not talking 10k or less), the most suitable attire should be loose clothings to allow the air to circulate and cool the body. I have no doubt the compression outfits are designed to wick moisture away but in our high humidity, it may not work as efficiently.

Some reading on running in the heat:

http://running.syr.edu/column/19970721.html

http://www.drpribut.com/sports/humidtxt.html

You want to watch that itching.

You've already done some damage. Cover up in future.

I lived in Australia for three years where they are terrified of the sun. Trust me, you need to take care.

ok, thanks. :)

Phone number remains th same.

Address is now 282 Changi Road.

Can contact Sam or Eddie at 63458827 or 62451718

Hi,

A few points

Regards

Richard

Generally I agree with your points on the white and black. But for running in the tropics over extended distances (we not talking 10k or less), the most suitable attire should be loose clothings to allow the air to circulate and cool the body. I have no doubt the compression outfits are designed to wick moisture away but in our high humidity, it may not work as efficiently.

OK, so you and I have a slight difference of opinion, although from you follow up post you seem to support my statements on compression garments :)

All I can say is that I base everything I say on a combination of research on both a academic level and personal. That's why I wore the white Skins during the MR25 Ultra.

Seemed to work for me :)

Hi,

A few points

Regards

Richard

Just noticed, your two articles are pretty old. One from 97 and the other from 2003.

Whilst the main information still stands, they were written before compression garments were available or had been tested to the same degree.

Sorry, this research is not current and does not take into account the most recent developments.

Ha ha, White - I totally in agreement with you on the benefit of compression wear.

What I was trying to put across was that in our hot humid weather and especially during long runs, it might not be a good idea to wear long sleeve though I think long pant is fine. Which is why you noticed that a lot of guys here run topless. Hmm.. than again maybe they trying to show off their 6p :Big Grin: Nevertheless, if really need to wear long sleeve, than the runner should wear suitable long sleeve like the compression type rather than say polyester or those track suit type which can really trap heat.

By the way, I like your white outfit. U look cool. Looking forward to seeing u in your all black outfit :)

As for Kobe 2000 shop at Queensway which TLR mentioned, you need to go there after 2pm. They open from 1:30pm to 8pm. So far no luck for me to visit them cause they are not open even at 1:45pm. Better go in the afternoon is safer.

Hope this helps.

Kayano

What is the typical price of 2XU long compression tights? Do they have shorter ones as well?

TIA

Hi Dkw,

KPI carries 2XU and Pearl Izumi.

2XU has long compression tight & short compression tight

Pearl Izumi also has long tight & short tight

For price, please call Sam and check it out before you visit them. Alternatively you can go to Queensway Shopping - Kobe 2000 shop. They open 1:30pm to 8pm. So far not my luck at Kobe 2000. They still not open after 1:30pm. I decided to contact Sam direcly as can have some discount from him. Sam also from SAFRA running club. At time he does make special offer to SAFRA running members.

So far 2XU long compression tight I have not seen the white color. For top, they have white. Not those paper white but bright white color. May considering getting one.

Cheers !

Kayano

Hope this helps.

Kayano

Yep. He is the man to look for. Better to call him before you go down.

Ha ha, White - I totally in agreement with you on the benefit of compression wear.

What I was trying to put across was that in our hot humid weather and especially during long runs, it might not be a good idea to wear long sleeve though I think long pant is fine. Which is why you noticed that a lot of guys here run topless. Hmm.. than again maybe they trying to show off their 6p :Big Grin: Nevertheless, if really need to wear long sleeve, than the runner should wear suitable long sleeve like the compression type rather than say polyester or those track suit type which can really trap heat.

By the way, I like your white outfit. U look cool. Looking forward to seeing u in your all black outfit :)

Thanks for the positive feedback. The white does look 'interesting'. It has one major problem though. When you sweat it becomes see through. That's why my wife won' le me out the house with them on unless I am wearing shorts.

Black looks good. I also have a blue one that use sometimes. Now they DO make me look like a superhero.

Will be going to Australia in April/May, so may pick up some more whilst there. I could pick them up for anyone that wants them. I could try and do a bulk buy if enough people are interested.

Thanks for the positive feedback. The white does look 'interesting'. It has one major problem though. When you sweat it becomes see through. That's why my wife won' le me out the house with them on unless I am wearing shorts.

Black looks good. I also have a blue one that use sometimes. Now they DO make me look like a superhero.

Will be going to Australia in April/May, so may pick up some more whilst there. I could pick them up for anyone that wants them. I could try and do a bulk buy if enough people are interested.

$$...?

$$...?

I've emailed a guy I know at Skins about a bulk discount. I don't think there are any real distributors here.

Let me see what I get back then I'll do a post.

$$...?

I've emailed a guy I know at Skins about a bulk discount. I don't think there are any real distributors here.

Let me see what I get back then I'll do a post.

there is a SKINS distributor here locally since late 2006 but currently the stuff are available only to Team Singapore athletes/staff. Frankly, I've seen the price breakdown, even after the discount given to us, its still more worthwhile to get 2XU.