Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

auron

Doubt in completing my 1st marathon at SCSM 2007

I have learnt quite a lot from reading this thread I must admit - esp the two pails with cold and warm water. Well, here's my few cents worth.

I think the marathon is mainly a mental thing, keep your mind preoccupied with other things - like seeing the scenery (I believe its gonna be nice in the early morning), humming a tuneI, thinking a thought (positive always!!), talking to another similarly paced and friendly runner, enjoying the crowd (if any) cheering and interacting with your environment around you constantly.

Then again, it depends whether you should be focused on the run and your goals. For me, its to feel as positive as possible for any run, so you will want to run again.

Finally, enjoy the run.

All the best for your first marathon!

Yeah I second shermantan

Auron - remember everything is possible........it is purely down to what you focus upon.

Always be positive.

There were two guys in SCSM 06 who were both suffering badly from sharp pains in their knees. One was due for an ACL operation but wanted to do the marathon. They completed the marathon, walking most of the way after about 13 miles, but helped each other make it.

The SCSM runners are fantastic! The organisation was first class for a first timer. There were still drinks stalls waiting for runners even past 7 hours!

You can do it and you have everyone here wanting to know how you got on as well as will support you when you're out there. The great thing is, if you do a bad time....it makes it easier to get a PB the next time :)

Good luck on your maiden voyage. :smilie_daumen1:

what is "Pan Salt"?

Apologize if this is a stupid question...

Can get fr NTUC/Cold Storage. Search ard the salt area n u shld be able to find it. (one brand has got a yatch/sail on the box) Forgot the actual content liao but it's healthier than normal salt coze no additive....

it is a type of low sodium content salt. Recommend for pple with hypertension and those who are watching their sodium intake.

what is "Pan Salt"?

Apologize if this is a stupid question...

Can get fr NTUC/Cold Storage. Search ard the salt area n u shld be able to find it. (one brand has got a yatch/sail on the box) Forgot the actual content liao but it's healthier than normal salt coze no additive....

it is a type of low sodium content salt. Recommend for pple with hypertension and those who are watching their sodium intake.

^_^ Thanks. Actually when I wrote tat reply, was abt to write "artificial salt" (coze tat's wat I call it) but afraid my layman term might generate wrong impression for "pan salt". Just know it's not NaCl.... :He He:

Coming back to the Walk/Run Stratergy - for my LD's , after the first 10K or thereabouts, I usually do it by steps ie run 400 steps and then walk 100 steps and alternate by running 800/walking 200. No need to carry a watch to do the 4min/1min split.

(my 2 cents worth!)

like that even harder to keep track. need to "count" steps. 4min jog and 1 min walk seems easier to keep track.

last weekend missed out the chance for long run.

weather is bad on saturday morning (strong wind and raining eventually).

actual dun mind running in the rain, but i'm afraid of falling sick after running in the rain.

went back to work on sunday.

back to treadmill on monday (12km) and tuesday (5km).

another treadmill session tomorrow.

intend for another long run this weekend. target distance 25km. hopefully no rain on weekend.

going to try out power gel and beans during the run.

Going the distance isn't for everyone..

According to a study presented at the Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine in 2006..

Of 106 first-timers embarked on a 20-week training program, 75 dropped out before the tenth week of training. 31 completed training and crossed the finish line of the race. That's a 71 percent drop-out rate.

Jacob M. Havenar, the study's lead author, said "Those who dropped out were more motivated by a desire to lose weight and to gain social recognition," he says. Finishers, on the other hand, seemed to be driven more by desires to achieve a personal goal, boost their self-esteem or find meaning in life.

Going the distance isn't for everyone..

According to a study presented at the Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine in 2006..

Of 106 first-timers embarked on a 20-week training program, 75 dropped out before the tenth week of training. 31 completed training and crossed the finish line of the race. That's a 71 percent drop-out rate.

Jacob M. Havenar, the study's lead author, said "Those who dropped out were more motivated by a desire to lose weight and to gain social recognition," he says. Finishers, on the other hand, seemed to be driven more by desires to achieve a personal goal, boost their self-esteem or find meaning in life.

well, that pretty much confirm what's being taught in sports psychology. High achievers tend to be intrinsically motivated rather than extrinsic.

I was searching for ITB when I came across this thread. Thanks to all who gave advices, suggestions and words of encouragement.

It'll be my 1st full marathon this year and I'm currently suffering from ITB. I'm going through the RICE prog now and getting a ITB strap. All the best to Auron. See ya at the finish line :)

I was searching for ITB when I came across this thread. Thanks to all who gave advices, suggestions and words of encouragement.

It'll be my 1st full marathon this year and I'm currently suffering from ITB. I'm going through the RICE prog now and getting a ITB strap. All the best to Auron. See ya at the finish line :)

errh.... what is ITB?

this sat or sunday will be my last long run, aiming for 25km.

hopefully no rain when i go for my long run.

if marathon day is raining as heavily as this morning, then penz liao!

The acronym ITB that runners commonly use refers to the Ilio-Tibial Band, which as the name suggests, is a connective tissue (tendon?) that runs from your glutes( thats your buttocks) down the side of your femur (thats one of your thigh bones) down to the tibia (thats the shin bone).

Basically it helps with knee-lifting activities.

But more accurately people are often referring to the injury ITBS, with 'S' here standing for Syndrome. That's because everyone who can run has the ITB. Otherwise you wont be able to lift your knee.

How the injury is sustained is another story for another time. heh!

errh.... what is ITB?

this sat or sunday will be my last long run, aiming for 25km.

hopefully no rain when i go for my long run.

if marathon day is raining as heavily as this morning, then penz liao!

you have to take it easy. There is still time. Just try to enjoy the Day.

All the best to your 25km.

The rain can be your helper if it is not too heavy. Problem is jogging/running fast enough not to feel cold after which you would likely come down with a cold and fever.

I have once encountered moderate showers at about 15km. The group sheltered a few times before running back. Took a shower immediately and changed to dry clothes. No problems. Lesson here - keep warm immediately after the run.

managed to did my last long run before the actual day yesterday morning.

should have at least 25km. took about 4 hours, i know some ppl here would have completed the actual marathon in that 4 hours.

now the tapering period. any special thing to take note of?

i only know to reduce either the mileage/time of the normal run.

my normal run is usually about 8-10km per session at the treadmill.

so i guess i will stick to just 8km for my training session.

yesterday afternoon was pouring cats and dogs with super strong win.

if actual day weather like this, then game over liao.

managed to did my last long run before the actual day yesterday morning.

should have at least 25km. took about 4 hours, i know some ppl here would have completed the actual marathon in that 4 hours.

now the tapering period. any special thing to take note of?

i only know to reduce either the mileage/time of the normal run.

my normal run is usually about 8-10km per session at the treadmill.

so i guess i will stick to just 8km for my training session.

yesterday afternoon was pouring cats and dogs with super strong win.

if actual day weather like this, then game over liao.

i read that it is the time spent on our feet that matters. To have been doing 4 hours is good.

From what I know, we should be tapering now (two weeks left) by reducing our total weekly distance but the intensity remains the same. Suggest you move outside and run.

Try to find your marathon pace and stick to it where possible. AVoid going out too fast too soon to avoid early burn-out. Happened to me.

This sunday is D-Day.

damn... 4am bus at hougang stadium.

need to wakeup at 3am to prepare... maybe eat some bread...

dunno need to book cab or not.

No heavy rain on that day please!

All the best to you! My first marathon too.

I was hoping it will rain (slight drizzle) on the 25km mark till the finishing line.... :cool_grin:

I was hoping it will rain (slight drizzle) on the 25km mark till the finishing line.... :cool_grin:

All the best and good luck to you too!!!!

All the best to all runners this coming Sunday! After all the tough training, feel your hunger for the run, enjoy it :smilie_daumen1: and don't worry too much about the completion. You will be able to complete it.....just a matter of time!

Cheers!

My exact sentiments :smilie_daumen1:

Need some advice.

Why is it that my left knee give way at times when I walk after my half marathon?

(I wear Chopat on my right knees during runs, does that have an impact?)

How do you apply Deep Heat on your thighs if you are wearing tights? Do you apply over the tights?

Thanks.

Nice one auron - now u know u can do it......Lion City next?

lion city still some time to go.

actually sundown marathon is before lion city.

not sure which one will be better organised.

as long as there is no cut-off time, i will consider to go for it.

Need some advice.

Why is it that my left knee give way at times when I walk after my half marathon?

(I wear Chopat on my right knees during runs, does that have an impact?)

How do you apply Deep Heat on your thighs if you are wearing tights? Do you apply over the tights?

Thanks.

(1) Is this very common to you in your normal training? See a sport doctor to check things out. :/

(2) And by the time when you truly require to apply Deep Heat, no runner would care about anything but to ease the pain (if any). Just stuff it in as I have seen some runners doing that! ^_^

We should change the Topic "Doubt in completing my first marathon",

No more doubts!! You did it! We did it!

:smilie_daumen1: