Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

woolv

Berlin Marathon: NEW WORLD RECORD!!!!

2 WC at the same location, an ideal place to get PB! Berlin...maybe next time ba. Hehe

.....and break the World Record?... :tongue_smilie:

2 WC at the same location, an ideal place to get PB! Berlin...maybe next time ba. Hehe

WC n still break WR!!!! Wah... Salute!!! :im Not Worthy: :smilie_daumen1:

Haile: ‘I can run 2:03, but I believe one day two hours will be broken’

Monday 1 October 2007

Berlin, Germany - A day after breaking the World record** at the real,- Berlin Marathon (30 Sep), Haile Gebrselassie came to the press conference, looking happy, relaxed as usual and talking about his feelings and future goals.

“I am still overwhelmed by this tremendous race. But it is difficult to describe my feelings. You have to break a World record yourself to understand how that feels – go for it”, said Gebrselassie when asked about his mood a day after clocking 2:04:26.

At the runners’ party on Sunday night as per tradition the winners, Haile Gebrselassie and Gete Wami (Ethiopia/2:23:17), and top finishers were present. “I just had one beer mixed with a soft drink – but I did not even empty the glass”, said the Ethiopian, when reporters wondered what he drank when celebrating his victory.

Gebrselassie will now head back to Addis Abeba. His next marathon will be in Dubai in January. “Then of course there are the Olympic Games coming up, where I want to run the marathon. But I am even planning further ahead. It is my goal to come back to Berlin to run the World Championships’ marathon in 2009.”

Having now broken 24 World records or World bests, the 34-year-old indicated that his appetite for records is still there. “Getting back the half marathon World record is a goal. But it remains my secret where and when I will go for this. I know that there is a fast half marathon in Berlin in the spring but the timing does not fit so good for me next year.”

Also Gebrselassie says that the 2:04:26, with which he improved Paul Tergat’s (Kenya) time from Berlin 2003 by 29 seconds, will not be the end of the story.

“I believe that I can run 2:03. I had said that before but could not do it on Sunday. But I am convinced that I can achieve such a time in Berlin.” Gebrselassie added: “I think Berlin offers the best conditions for a World marathon chase – the course, the weather conditions, the spectators. So I think that when World records will be broken in the future it will happen in Berlin.”

Asked if he believed that one day the two hour-barrier will be broken in the marathon Haile Gebrselassie said: “Yes, of course. That will happen. But I do not know when – may be it will take 20 years or may be 40. For now I am happy that I have finally broken the World marathon record since my name is now on this record list. And in a 100 years people will still see that and say, ‘ah this was Haile Gebrselassie’.”

Jörg Wenig for the IAAF

http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=41936.html

Following is the evolution of the men's marathon world record :

2:25:39 Suh Yun-bok (South Korea) Boston 19.4.47

2:20:43 Jim Peters (Britain) London 14.6.52

2:18:41 Peters London 13.6.53

2:18:35 Peters Turku, Finland 4.10.53

2:17:40 Peters London 26.6.54

2:15:17 Sergei Popov (Soviet Union) Stockholm 24.8.58

2:15:17 Abebe Bikila (Ethiopia) Rome 10.9.60

2:15:16 Toru Terasawa (Japan) Beppu, Japan 17.2.63

2:14:28 Buddy Edelen (U.S.) London 15.6.63

2:13:55 Basil Heatley (Britain) London 13.6.64

2:12:12 Bikila Tokyo 21.10.64

2:12:00 Morio Shigematsu (Japan) London 12.6.65

2:09:37 Derek Clayton (Australia) Fukuoka, Japan 3.12.67

2:08:34 Clayton Antwerp, Belgium 30.5.69

2:08:18 Rob de Castella (Australia) Fukuoka, Japan 6.12.81

2:08:05 Steve Jones (Britain) Chicago 21.10.84

2:07:12 Carlos Lopes (Portugal) Rotterdam 20.4.85

2:06:50 Belayneh Dinsamo (Ethiopia) Rotterdam 17.4.88

2:06:05 Ronaldo da Costa (Brazil) Berlin 20.9.98

2:05:42 Khalid Khannouchi (U.S.) Chicago 24.10.99

2:05:38 Khannouchi London 14.4.02

2:04:55 Paul Tergat (Kenya) Berlin 28.9.03

2:04:26 Haile Gebrselassie (Ethiopia) Berlin 30.9.07

therefore, running a sub-2 hr marathon is achievable. according to the records above, it looks like it could only be done in 20 to 30 years later. looking forward to see it in near future, maybe in a few years time.

which lucky mother will gave birth to this future world record athelete. this baby may come out within this few years! :P

Harlo guys,

its "unofficial", not "inofficial"!

I believe sub-2 will occur in next 10-15 years. We are in an era of increased mass participation and training for endurance sports. The opportunities and rewards are much greater than before.

Harlo guys,

I believe sub-2 will occur in next 10-15 years. We are in an era of increased mass participation and training for endurance sports. The opportunities and rewards are much greater than before.

Sub 2 marathon is a really fascinating debate

In any frontiers be it sports, arts or science etc, any great breakthrough is not dependent on the mass or training (not matter how hard a person work on it). It all boils down to genetic endowment. Gifted people (genius) is born not made..Super gifted people arrive in this world at long intervals. See the timeline. Likewsie, sub 2 marathon is not exception.

Harlo guys,

Sub 2 marathon is a really fascinating debate

In any frontiers be it sports, arts or science etc, any great breakthrough is not dependent on the mass or training (not matter how hard a person work on it). It all boils down to genetic endowment. Gifted people (genius) is born not made..Super gifted people arrive in this world at long intervals. See the timeline. Likewsie, sub 2 marathon is not exception.

Half timer, I would beg to disagree. I quote a saying, "Success is opportunity meeting preparation". In Jack Daniel's book, The Running Formula, he suggests a interesting paradigm, that for a runner to be the best and succeed, requires a convergence of 4 factors, 1) Genetic disposition, 2) Right Training Methods, 3) Right Motivation and 4) Right Opportunity.

Genetics cannot be controlled, you are who you are. Motivation can be cultivated, but to a certain extent is also inborn. However, training methods are improving all the time, and the rate of advance is accelerating if anything. Opportunities like training gear, competitive racing etc are now more universal than ever. Has the most genetically gifted, highly motivated individual of this or the next generation of runners been availed with the best training methods of the widest opportunities yet? Perhaps not, but the likelihood of it happening are far far greater now than in the past. So, I agree you cannot change your genes, but the opportunity to pick out and develop talent are at its highest now compared to anytime in history.

If fact, two of the examples you quote support that;

Lets take the "Genius" timeline. Is it not weighted significantly to the right? Why are poor Leonardo and Plato so isolated? Its because the opportunities were limited for any genius to receive the education he required to blossom. A person more brilliant than Plato was more likely to be born into poverty than into a family that will provide for education at that time. As civilisation advanced, so did the opportunities to receive an education, hence the greater number of geniuses in modern times.

Your list of WR holders for marathon runners. Prior to 1980, how many African born runners held it? Since 1990, how many non African-born runners? Can you imagine it ever escaping the stranglehold of East and North African runners now? Why's that? Their genetics have not changed, nor that of the Europeans and Americans. Again, it is opportunity and training.

My bet, sub-2 before 2020. You'd like to wager a nice bottle of red wine? ;)

moin moin guys

i've just finished my fr. it is rather long filled with lots of pictures.

enjoy!

OP - running mood is back.

yeah!!! hey, you always run with your digital camera?

yeah!!! hey, you always run with your digital camera?

moin ripley,

yes, most of the time. only the short distances (10 k - 15 k) i won't be carrying it. cos i want to run faster (as if i can).

OP - still relaxing

WC n still break WR!!!! Wah... Salute!!! :im Not Worthy: :smilie_daumen1:

Why not possible? Paula testified it for London Marathon 2005 http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/4454315.stm

She had to squat by the side of the road .. :redface:

Gebrselassie is scheduled to run at the Dubai Marathon on January 18th, where he plans to make another attempt at the record. Organizers of the Dubai Marathon are offering a $1 million bonus for a world record time at the event.

I wonder if one second faster is considered a new world record?

why not?

i remember this russian pole vaulter took his time to break world record because he gets a "bonus" each time he rewrite the record... :)

why not?

i remember this russian pole vaulter took his time to break world record because he gets a "bonus" each time he rewrite the record... :)

Yeap, that is Sergei Bubka

He keep increasing his height by 1cm. When he pole vaults, u know he can do better than that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Bubka

Orang Pelarian: wa caya sama lu...carry camera,stop for "business",and all the other things the night

before,and still can run a slow pace of 4:05 :im Not Worthy:

think i need some tutorial from u.... :Big Grin: