Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

woolv

Berlin Marathon: NEW WORLD RECORD!!!!

Haile Gebrselassie smashes Tergat's world record by half a minute:

Inoffical Time: 2.04.27 = New World Record!

Whooh! :hail: :hail: :hail:

Whooh! :hail: :hail: :hail:

allright! gebreselassie is indeed cementing his place as the greatest male distance runner of all time

Very interesting.

Wikipedia has already updated his profile.

Haile Gebrselassie (born April 18, 1973) is a long distance track and road running athlete born as one of ten children in Asella, Arsi Province, Ethiopia. He currently holds the marathon world record with a time of 2 hours 4 minutes 26 seconds and is considered by many to be one of the best distance runners of all time, having broken 24 world records and won numerous Olympic and World Championship titles.

well done !!! ... :xyzthumbs:

i guess berlin is the best pl to set world record for full marathon...

:Applause:

Woah ... He has been running 10km distance since young to school and back home... Maybe we can start doing this and after 5 years, we should be able to reach sub 40mins for 10km... :tongue_smilie:

His 26 min for 10km is really sprinting !!! :hail: :hail:

these are his splits: (copied off the berlin marathon webbie)

km 42 2:04:26

km 39 1:55:12

km 36 1:46:33

km 33 1:37:33

km 30 1:28:54

km 27 1:20:03

km 24 1:11:06

km 21.0975 1:02:29

km 19 0:56:09

km 16 0:47:13

km 13 0:38:18

km 10 0:29:24

km 8 0:23:31

km 5 0:14:43

km 3 0:08:54

km 3 0:08:54 !!!! :hail: :hail: :hail:

i think i am still far far away from the 2.4km finishing line.

:Cry:

hmmm i have a question...

how do we pronounce his name??

power!! he did a sub-1 hr half marathon before. his vision is to do a sub-2 hr marathon. looking forward for someone to achieve that in near future.

How to pronounce that? something like this:

Haile Gebrselassie = Hay Lee - Jeep bree Sir Lar See

Geb did a negatve split..WOW ! What an amazing feat!

Geb picked up $71,000 for the win and the same amount in a world record bonus. He also reportedly earned $357,000 in appearance money..WOW WOW !!

Can he repeat the same or better in Beijing Olympics 2008?

Olympics is a place where athletes wanna play safe to win the gold medal...

unless a world record is within their reaching zone...

Geb did a negatve split..WOW ! What an amazing feat!

Geb picked up $71,000 for the win and the same amount in a world record bonus. He also reportedly earned $357,000 in appearance money..WOW WOW !!

Can he repeat the same or better in Beijing Olympics 2008?

if we want him here for scsm imagine how much the increase in race fees will be...

if we want him here for scsm imagine how much the increase in race fees will be...

he got the current world record on hand leh...

his appearance fee prolly increase to US$ 500, 000 liao ...

he got the current world record on hand leh...

his appearance fee prolly increase to US$ 500, 000 liao ...

one person about $7.5... but if many many world class runners come, then siao liao... hahaha

I reckon, these guys only pick the fast and/or prestigious marathons. Noakes says that the human body only can stand 3 very fast marathons (and I think Haile's race qualifies as very fast), so he will be wise to choose the races where he can make a buck as well.

Further on, negative splits are the way to run records (from the world record to ones very own PB). Many of the top runners split negative or even in their best runs. I think, it's a good advice to try that as well in the races we do.

Concering the olympics: Of course, it's all about winning there. Same for the NYC Marathon because the course is simply too demanding. If somebody breaks the world record in Athens I would simply say that guy is doped :rolleyes:

There is quite a bunch of professional runners at SCSM too, right? How much do they get for their start?

Cheers, alex

wah lan... :im Not Worthy:

About one million spectators cheered on the Ethiopian in Berlin...But Geb would be disappointed with the mini crowd here if visible assuming SCSM can afford and is willing to pay him enough to parade in the event.

moin people

i can assured u guys, that if u like supporters on the side of the roads (estimated a million) and different kinds of bands (jazz, pop, rock or even hard rock and traditional music) making loud noise to cheer you up, fast timing, very good organisation and more, you should try berlin marathon!

where was i when haile reached the finish line? between 23 & 24 km i think.

anyway, he got 50.000 euro for winning and the exact amount for the new world record. he also received 250.000 euro as appearance fee. not bad for a slightly more than a 2 hours run, huh?

by the way, officially the slowest marathon runner ran a time of 6:52 hrs and inofficially a british guy had managed to come last after more than 12 hours (i still could not find the reason behind that timing). 11 of the last 50 female marathoners were germans, the rest were foreigners.

i ran at a "very slow" pace of 4:05 hours, that includes phototaking, partying the night before till 3 am (slept for abt 3 hours), stop for leg massage after 26 km point, long toilet visit in greek restaurant due to stomachache and chest pain for no apparent reason (had to stop several times).

OP - not prepared for the marathon at all!

ps : will be writing my fr soon

moin people

i can assured u guys, that if u like supporters on the side of the roads (estimated a million) and different kinds of bands (jazz, pop, rock or even hard rock and traditional music) making loud noise to cheer you up, fast timing, very good organisation and more, you should try berlin marathon!

where was i when haile reached the finish line? between 23 & 24 km i think.

anyway, he got 50.000 euro for winning and the exact amount for the new world record. he also received 250.000 euro as appearance fee. not bad for a slightly more than a 2 hours run, huh?

by the way, officially the slowest marathon runner ran a time of 6:52 hrs and inofficially a british guy had managed to come last after more than 12 hours (i still could not find the reason behind that timing). 11 of the last 50 female marathoners were germans, the rest were foreigners.

i ran at a "very slow" pace of 4:05 hours, that includes phototaking, partying the night before till 3 am (slept for abt 3 hours), stop for leg massage after 26 km point, long toilet visit in greek restaurant due to stomachache and chest pain for no apparent reason (had to stop several times).

OP - not prepared for the marathon at all!

ps : will be writing my fr soon

OP.. U recovered fully fm yr back problems? Looking forward to reading yr Berlin Marathon FR!! U managed to take pictures of the Great Geb in Action!!! :cool_grin: