Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alan98

Heart Rates During Running

Did my 2nd AHM yesterday. Got my sub 2 hour timing and that was my PB. (1:54) Quite happy. But my right calf was complaining after the run yesterday and my left ankle was also feeling a bit of pain today....Haiz...heatrub + aquawalk time! :lol:

Anyway, yesterday's run was enjoyable for me. The overall experience was good. Just like my first AHM in 2005. I did not get stopped at all along the way and it allow me to maintain my momentum.

Met up with Peacefool and another of our friend early in the morning for breakfast at Mcdonalds near our house. I took a Egg Mcmuffin meal and after that I gulp down 1 packet of Powergel. Then after that, we met up with another of my friend and we went down together by cab at around 4:30am. The cab ride wasn't good as the road closure hit us and we have to go one big round. Eventually we got to the start point late and just straight away run after depositing our bags. (Should stretch first!!! Newbies please dun follow...Bad example.)

My first 2km were pretty fast I will say (4min 30sec/km) and that warm up my body pretty fast. After that, I try to slow myself down a little. I control my pace and average a 5min+/km pace throughout. I hit the 11km mark in under 1 hour and I stick to my game plan to take another powergel at this point of time. Then I carry on.

After that, I continue to go and I hit the 15km mark at 1:20 and after that my pace fluctuates from 4min/km to 6min/km. Eventually, I hit the finishing line at 1:54.

On the whole, I feel that the race was quite well done. Route, water points etc was good. Next up, Stan Chart!

Here's my stats for this run.

average HR: 186(94%)

max HR: 210 (107%)

Calories burned: 1997

fat burn: 20%

wow, average HR of 186 seems very high for a half mara man. any experts available for comment?

wow, average HR of 186 seems very high for a half mara man. any experts available for comment?

Max HR of 210? That's over the limit isn't it? Even Avg of 184 appears to be too much strain for the heart.

alan98, Did you set your age, height, weight, and HR limits and target zones based on your age in your HRM? Please do not over-exert your heart. Even fit runners can suddenly become a casualty if pushed the heart too far and too long during a run. Enjoy your runs. The timing and % of fat burned and weight loss is not important.

Do take care.

kc

i think you should standardized by HR% and not HR. This is because everybody got different Max HR.

HR% = Avg (HR/ HRMAX)%

I think most likley, alan98 set his maxHR wrongly, that's why it gave him 94%.

the thing abt polar watches is..its a silly gadget, its not so smart to determine you max hr, it's based on a set of formulas and proven statistics. no doubt but then some unique ppl have very high heart rate...the best effective way to dermine your max heart rate is to hop onto a threadmill ..run as fast as you can for as long as you can..thats your max heart rate..

however polar max heart rate predictions are quite accurate..so in terms of percentage it shouldnt be that far off from you actual heart rate..

94% for a half marathon...either you been running very fast or u are likley to be very unfit...

Well,

I just used the defaults in the Polar HRM. (max HR=220-age) So I wonder if it is accurate for me. But I feel ok after the run.....Not seeing stars..... Just some pain in my right calf.....hehehe....Maybe time for a coconi test.

the thing abt polar watches is..its a silly gadget, its not so smart to determine you max hr, it's based on a set of formulas and proven statistics. no doubt but then some unique ppl have very high heart rate...the best effective way to dermine your max heart rate is to hop onto a threadmill ..run as fast as you can for as long as you can..thats your max heart rate..

however polar max heart rate predictions are quite accurate..so in terms of percentage it shouldnt be that far off from you actual heart rate..

94% for a half marathon...either you been running very fast or u are likley to be very unfit...

actually, i average about 180-190 bpm for usual runs (like those casual runs through MR or BG) and i'm not even pushing myself to run very hard :P

Well,

I just used the defaults in the Polar HRM. (max HR=220-age) So I wonder if it is accurate for me. But I feel ok after the run.....Not seeing stars..... Just some pain in my right calf.....hehehe....Maybe time for a coconi test.

if u are feeling ok and have and avg hr% of 94% then you must be very a unqiue variation and have a very high max heart rate!!!! but looking at you polar stats..u got 104% as you max heart rate? you think thats logical????

actually, i average about 180-190 bpm for usual runs (like those casual runs through MR or BG) and i'm not even pushing myself to run very hard :P

That means u belong to the very fit category.....hehehe

Well,

if u are feeling ok and have and avg hr% of 94% then you must be very a unqiue variation and have a very high max heart rate!!!! but looking at you polar stats..u got 104% as you max heart rate? you think thats logical????

The 107% is hit when I was sprinting at the last stretch......So maybe that explains it...

why do u guys compare by heart rate bpm? shouldnt we all align by percentage? simple mathimatics? say your actual max heart rate is 220 , mine is 191, and at the same run your avg heart rate is 185, mine is 164, hence we are both at 84-85%...

That means u belong to the very fit category.....hehehe

Well,

The 107% is hit when I was sprinting at the last stretch......So maybe that explains it...

in percentage where got 107% one??? it just means ur max heart rate is wrong

There are few methods to calculate MHR.

The best known formula is 220 - age. Assuming age is 30, MHR is 190. Aerobic pace is 70%-80% of MHR for long distance running. HR is (220-30) x 0.7 to 0.8 = 133 to 152. So HR 186 is 20 years old runner who chiong at anaerobic pace 90% MHR..Impossible run 21km anaerobically...sure collapse.

The settings of HRM needs to be verified.

alan98, from your data given, i think you max heart rate should be about 220 and not 195. you should change these settings in your polar watch..btw u should be 25 years old?

There are few methods to calculate MHR.

The best known formula is 220 - age. Assuming age is 30, MHR is 190. Aerobic pace is 70%-80% of MHR for long distance running. HR is (220-30) x 0.7 to 0.8 = 133 to 152. So HR 186 is 20 years old runner who chiong at anaerobic pace 90% MHR..Impossible run 21km anaerobically...sure collapse.

The settings of HRM needs to be verified.

This maxHR thing is a bit of an anomaly for me. For this AHM my average HR was 89% and max was 97%. Looking at it in greater detail, from 15k onwards it creeped up from 90% to 97% at the finish. I felt quite tired and very uncomfortable at the end of the race but my final stretch was not a flat out die die sprint. I just pushed it to a faster pace at the last 100m or so

There was another thread discussing the point on HR monitors and Philip suggested to me to do some slow warm up jogs followed by sprints (twice) and take the reading at the end of the final sprint which should show the max HR. I tried the sprints and pushed myself but not to the extent of collapsing and no matter how hard I tried the max HR was only around 92% of the current setting. Somehow this doesn't seem quite right. My current setting is based on the resting test index done on the polar watch which is almost exactly the same as the age based formula.

As I push myself for the sprints tests to determine the maxHR, perhaps psychologically my brain prevents my body from actually hitting the max. I sometimes wonder what happens to the heart when the HR does hit the max.

That said, I did a 3h run once and the average HR was 82% with max of 90%. It was tiring but only slightly uncomfortable. I wonder what is supposed to be the sustainable HR% for long runs of 15k and above? Also I have ever seen a reading spike once to 103% but I think that is probably just an irregular reading.

Now I do not read too much into it but use the HR% as a general guide

alan98, from your data given, i think you max heart rate should be about 220 and not 195. you should change these settings in your polar watch..btw u should be 25 years old?

I'm 23 this year

Mmm...I am not a fan of POLAR too.....unless we are talking about cakes here... :tongue_smilie: I am a TIMEX freak.

I guess we should not run down any brand here lah...as far as I know, there is no gadget in this world yet that is smart enough to determine one's Max. HR. All gadgets give readings based on a standard formula and this formula is by population. If I am not wrong, Polar watches also allow you to input your own Max. HR, if you know it.

The way that was described above to gather your Max. HR is not exactly the most SCIENTIFIC method used in the lab. There are more details to just running your lungs out, for as long as you can.

Polar, although a "silly gadget", is still sort after by many... :)

Max HR of 210? That's over the limit isn't it? Even Avg of 184 appears to be too much strain for the heart.

alan98, Did you set your age, height, weight, and HR limits and target zones based on your age in your HRM? Please do not over-exert your heart. Even fit runners can suddenly become a casualty if pushed the heart too far and too long during a run. Enjoy your runs. The timing and % of fat burned and weight loss is not important.

Do take care.

kc

Hmm...so alan98 is like me, abnormally fast HR?? Cos I also reg v fast HR all the time. For AHM, my record:

Ave HR: 183 (98%)

Max HR: 192 (103%)

kcal: 1326

Do take care.

kc

Hmm...so alan98 is like me, abnormally fast HR?? Cos I also reg v fast HR all the time. For AHM, my record:

Hi all,

Serial lurker who couldn't resist a post. I assume you used 186bpm for your MHR calculation pre-race? Very simple: if your highest heart rate reached is 192, then your MHR is 192. NOT 186 (that's why it's called MAX heart rate). So you'll have to reprogram your HRM.

Also, I think most people here are calculating target heart rate using simple %? I find that the Karvonen formula give a more accurate perceived effort v heart rate %. Go google it. Hope this helps :)

Mmm...I am not a fan of POLAR too.....unless we are talking about cakes here... :tongue_smilie: I am a TIMEX freak.

I guess we should not run down any brand here lah...as far as I know, there is no gadget in this world yet that is smart enough to determine one's Max. HR. All gadgets give readings based on a standard formula and this formula is by population. If I am not wrong, Polar watches also allow you to input your own Max. HR, if you know it.

The way that was described above to gather your Max. HR is not exactly the most SCIENTIFIC method used in the lab. There are more details to just running your lungs out, for as long as you can.

all gadgets are silly to me..not only polar, but it's even sillier to wear a HRM without understanding how the HRM works. in my opinion, if you are not into analzying data then dont waste your money on a HRM.

we can go all night about how polar derive their stats, cause there are too many variables that determine one person max heart rate.

Do take care.

kc

Hi all,

Serial lurker who couldn't resist a post. I assume you used 186bpm for your MHR calculation pre-race? Very simple: if your highest heart rate reached is 192, then your MHR is 192. NOT 186 (that's why it's called MAX heart rate). So you'll have to reprogram your HRM.

Also, I think most people here are calculating target heart rate using simple %? I find that the Karvonen formula give a more accurate perceived effort v heart rate %. Go google it. Hope this helps :)

% for me is a good way to measure 1 intensity trg zone, can you briefly explain the karvonen formula?

I also have 5 minutes between 102~105% Max HR. The max HR is based on 220-age. I guess it means my actual max HR is higher than the typical formula of 220 - age. Maybe my heart is still YOUNG! :smilie_daumen1:

I also have 5 minutes between 102~105% Max HR. The max HR is based on 220-age. I guess it means my actual max HR is higher than the typical formula of 220 - age. Maybe my heart is still YOUNG! :smilie_daumen1:

It is possible to exceed 90% of MHR based on the 220-age formula. However, it is not advisable to place such strain on one's heart, no matter how fit and healthy our heart and blood vessels. We jog/run/exercise to keep fit and hopefully prolonged our life span and not shorten it by placing undue stress on our heart muscles.

Since like me, we have spent $$$ for a HRM, let's calbrate the little tool and keep our exercises to <100% or better still <90% MHR. I'm no doctor, but I have read enough about the dangers of weakened heart muscles due to illness/ virus or physical exertions. Take care & run safe.

Hey jjchsg, that is a good way to look at it. I have never thot of it that way, hmm young heart. So far my fastest HR registered during run was 216, that will make mine a 8-yr old heart :LMAO: !!! (if i used the standard formula of 224 - age (think supposed to add 4 for female)).

all gadgets are silly to me..not only polar, but it's even sillier to wear a HRM without understanding how the HRM works. in my opinion, if you are not into analzying data then dont waste your money on a HRM.

we can go all night about how polar derive their stats, cause there are too many variables that determine one person max heart rate.

Do take care.

kc

Hi all,

% for me is a good way to measure 1 intensity trg zone, can you briefly explain the karvonen formula?

Well, simple % is not v good simply because if you draw your target heartrate on a graph, it will end up looking like a straight line and nothing in nature is a straight line. Also, there are many formulas for guesstimating your MHR, not just 220 - age.

Karvonen uses your RHR as well as your MHR to derive your Target HR. So, if you plot it on a graph, it will look like a increasing curve with decreasing slope (sorry if i describe wrongly, my maths is v poor). Agreed, it's best to work in a zone. So, just use Karvonen to calculate your 65, 75, 85 and 95% :)

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the formulas for guesstimating MHR, RHR, Karvonen are all at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_heart_rat...imum_heart_rate.

Having said that, nothing beats heading to a track and running till you puke.

Errr.....maybe we can start another topic on this heart rate thing.

Gee, acidburn. Good idea. Also never realised we OT. Perhaps some kind moderator would like to shift the HRM postings to a separate thread. 谢谢

My 2 cents.

1) Someone mentioned it is not possible to run 21km in anaerobic pace? It is possible. I ran the whole AHM using my AT pace.

2) I know of many people who achieve their max HR not from sprints but from long distance (>25km) training/competition. My max HR measured comes from a long distance training session, not from the standard 800m x 2 sprint method so often prescribed on the web. The reason is cardiac drift. Your HR will steadily goes up as your muscles fatigue and the blood becomes more viscous due to water lost. So I would say set your max HR to the highest HR detected by your HRM (and not follow the standard formula).

3) All those supposedly fit (but are their heart normal?) people dying from the runs prove nothing. There is no need to conclude that it is due to over exertion or we can't train above 90% MHR. Can a person hold his breath until he dies of suffocation? Can the mind tell a normal heart to over exert until it collapse? Open your eyes big big, keep your mind open, read whatever report/studies available and then decide for yourself but there is no need to jump to hasty conclusion due to a few sensational cases.

My 2 cents.

1) Someone mentioned it is not possible to run 21km in anaerobic pace? It is possible. I ran the whole AHM using my AT pace.

2) I know of many people who achieve their max HR not from sprints but from long distance (>25km) training/competition. My max HR measured comes from a long distance training session, not from the standard 800m x 2 sprint method so often prescribed on the web. The reason is cardiac drift. Your HR will steadily goes up as your muscles fatigue and the blood becomes more viscous due to water lost. So I would say set your max HR to the highest HR detected by your HRM (and not follow the standard formula).

3) All those supposedly fit (but are their heart normal?) people dying from the runs prove nothing. There is no need to conclude that it is due to over exertion or we can't train above 90% MHR. Can a person hold his breath until he dies of suffocation? Can the mind tell a normal heart to over exert until it collapse? Open your eyes big big, keep your mind open, read whatever report/studies available and then decide for yourself but there is no need to jump to hasty conclusion due to a few sensational cases.

I only agree with your points 1, 2 and 3. :blink:

On a note that has been mentioned, using a formula to estimate your MaxHR gives at best, an estimation of MaxHR. Worse still is, using a formula which is not accurate in giving estimations. Assuming it was not a spike (i.e. caused by electrical interference) then one's MaxHR should be set to the 100% that one has ever achieved. I agree that it is not only possible, but more likely, that one will achieve one's MaxHR during a long distance than in a sprint as what is normally done - as I have gotten more accurate 100% MaxHR over a long distance than short sprint because it simply take too long for my heart to react to the efforts.

So for alan98, the correct values could be

average HR: 186 (88.6%)

max HR: 210 (100%)