Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ultraman

Matching foot type to shoe type

Thats cool, for you could try Running Lab too. One branch is at Funan Centre, the other at Velocity Novena Square.

Or you can try adidas Footscan services in some of their stores. I did mine at Vivo city. Am totally flat feet but it shows that although I do need motion control shoes but due to running since army days, I can use cushion or neutral shoes as my running style has grown acustomed to the army NB shoes. Footscan is what got me on adidas. Very comprehensive understanding of your running pattern and running efficiency. Most of all, the service is free. You only need a bit of time to be there to try and listen to the results.

Thats cool, for you could try Running Lab too. One branch is at Funan Centre, the other at Velocity Novena Square.

Or you can try adidas Footscan services in some of their stores. I did mine at Vivo city. Am totally flat feet but it shows that although I do need motion control shoes but due to running since army days, I can use cushion or neutral shoes as my running style has grown acustomed to the army NB shoes. Footscan is what got me on adidas. Very comprehensive understanding of your running pattern and running efficiency. Most of all, the service is free. You only need a bit of time to be there to try and listen to the results.

need to seek help from all the old birds here as I am a newbie to running :

I went for a scan at the Adidas and the staff there told me that I need cushion shoes.

I visited a doctor last week he he said that I have high arch foot that is causing mine knee problems and heel spur etc.

My question is : do I need to buy a pair of shoes with good cushion + orthodic insole or just a pair of shoes with good cushion will be sufficient?

Thanks for your help

I went for a scan at the Adidas and the staff there told me that I need cushion shoes.

I visited a doctor last week he he said that I have high arch foot that is causing mine knee problems and heel spur etc.

My question is : do I need to buy a pair of shoes with good cushion + orthodic insole or just a pair of shoes with good cushion will be sufficient?

Thanks for your help

Generally speaking cushioning shoes are recomended to runners with high arch foot. the reason is, high arch foot has less shock absorption and this will cause problems like knee pain. Although there are several exceptions i.e. even high arch runner need anther type of shoes, but in most cases it is true.

Orthodic is basically to stabilize your foot rotation = stabilize pronation, which is not directly related to your pain, I suppose.

So I recommend to buy a pair of cushoning shoe and try first. If you have a problem in pronation, then you better to think Orthos. At running lab. they have OTC orthos called super feet, it works.

Thanks for your help

Generally speaking cushioning shoes are recomended to runners with high arch foot. the reason is, high arch foot has less shock absorption and this will cause problems like knee pain. Although there are several exceptions i.e. even high arch runner need anther type of shoes, but in most cases it is true.

Orthodic is basically to stabilize your foot rotation = stabilize pronation, which is not directly related to your pain, I suppose.

So I recommend to buy a pair of cushoning shoe and try first. If you have a problem in pronation, then you better to think Orthos. At running lab. they have OTC orthos called super feet, it works.

Thanks for your help. Will try out your suggestions.

Thanks for your help

Just a point to add.

After getting the cushion shoes and you start doing your runs, and if you still get pains, it might not immediately mean that you should quickly get the orthos.

The pains could be due to you doing alot of runs .. that your feet are still not used to all that pounding.

Also, it could just be that the cushion shoes may not be cushy enough for you. On this point, if you think you have 'problem' feet, then maybe consider getting the top range cushion shoes. Eg if you have decided on Asics, get their highest range - Nimbus. if you have decided on mizuno, then go for Creation. etc etc.

Happy running.

Thanks for your help

Just a point to add.

After getting the cushion shoes and you start doing your runs, and if you still get pains, it might not immediately mean that you should quickly get the orthos.

The pains could be due to you doing alot of runs .. that your feet are still not used to all that pounding.

Also, it could just be that the cushion shoes may not be cushy enough for you. On this point, if you think you have 'problem' feet, then maybe consider getting the top range cushion shoes. Eg if you have decided on Asics, get their highest range - Nimbus. if you have decided on mizuno, then go for Creation. etc etc.

Happy running.

Hi all,

Just bought a pair of Nimbus and went for 6km run. The knee and ankle still hurts. Will try out for a few more runs and keep you guys posted. Thanks for all your advise.

Hi,

Just wanna ask, if I'm going to buy a shoe that I am going to train in and also for running marathon, would a cushion shoe be better or a racer?

I was thinking of the Adizero CS.

Any recommendation?

One question.

If you are doing a marathon and you will be very tired during the race and your pronation will be going all over the place, is it also recommended to get a motion control shoes?

The above is the advice given to me by Running Lab.

One question.

If you are doing a marathon and you will be very tired during the race and your pronation will be going all over the place, is it also recommended to get a motion control shoes?

Hmm, true. But then again, does motion control really help?

One question.

interesting advise from running lab........

does that means we should buy shoes after running 30km so that at the state of tiredness, we will know if we need motion control shoes to control our pronation??

One question.

interesting advise from running lab........

does that means we should buy shoes after running 30km so that at the state of tiredness, we will know if we need motion control shoes to control our pronation??

Well, it very much depends on your current situation. If you have normal pronation or only over-pronates slightly, there aint really a need for motion control shoes to tackle the post-30km distance.

Granted our stabilising muscles do fatigue after a certain long distance possibly leading to more overpronation, there's no fix "magic number" distance or fatigue for everyone. U jolly well might have stronger stabilising muscles than others. And even if it does make you overpronate more, I dont believe its gonna make the situation so bad that you need motion-control shoes unless you are already a moderate over-pronator to begin with.

Motion Control shoes aint a joke, you wont want to know how much those amount of dual density EVA support really adds to the net weight.

Hi all,

Just bought a pair of Nimbus and went for 6km run. The knee and ankle still hurts. Will try out for a few more runs and keep you guys posted. Thanks for all your advise.

I did about 80-90km in the nimbus 9 so far. I must say I am a bit disappointed by it. For such an expensive shoe, the cushioning is only so so, felt a bit heavy for long runs (after around 15km) and experienced very slight but tolerable knee pain... Also, there is a little heel-slip despite the PHF and the shoe is also not very breathable.

Hi all,

I did about 80-90km in the nimbus 9 so far. I must say I am a bit disappointed by it. For such an expensive shoe, the cushioning is only so so, felt a bit heavy for long runs (after around 15km) and experienced very slight but tolerable knee pain... Also, there is a little heel-slip despite the PHF and the shoe is also not very breathable.

that bad ah? I still rate mine old nimbus 7 as king of cushioning, think I can just save the $$$ from the nimbus 9.

Nimbus 7 uses Speva mah... Nimbus 9 uses Solyte :(

im pretty much out of touch with Asics, their shoes are way out of my budget. Only drop by occasionally at their boutique to see see.

Hi all,

that bad ah? I still rate mine old nimbus 7 as king of cushioning, think I can just save the $$$ from the nimbus 9.

I took my Nimbus out for 10 km today. After the last painful run, I inserted a pair of insoles into the Nimbus and felt like I was running on air. The knee pain was reduced to a slight irritation in the kness and the ankles felt much better.

Anyone tried Bounce from Adidas for cushioning?

Hi all,

I took my Nimbus out for 10 km today. After the last painful run, I inserted a pair of insoles into the Nimbus and felt like I was running on air. The knee pain was reduced to a slight irritation in the kness and the ankles felt much better.

I read somewhere on the reviews of nimbus 9, quite a few runners feel pain on knee and ankle when going for longer distance. seem like my Cumulu 9 is more comfortable in comparison. i might be wrong since i have not try nimber9 before. :redface:

I have the Adidas Megabounce+. It faired slightly worse than my nimbus 9!!! Check out my review of both if you like at: http://kwekjoochuan.blogspot.com/

Just my personal opinion...

I read somewhere on the reviews of nimbus 9, quite a few runners feel pain on knee and ankle when going for longer distance. seem like my Cumulu 9 is more comfortable in comparison. i might be wrong since i have not try nimber9 before. :redface:

I tried out the Cumulus 9 a couple weeks back.. It felt slightly heavier than the Nimbus 9 but the cushioning actually felt better and very responsive so you might be right because I actually preferred the Cumulus' cushioning to Nimbus'!

You can also try the Gaitscan services. It cost you nothing at all. Army NB shoes are motion control shoes with a dual density midsole. Although you have accustomed to the shoes, you might also want to check out how severe is your heel rotations and any faulty foot biomechanics for future prevention of injuries and pain. :)

Hi all,

Just to share a little that you should get your foot biomechanics examined. Shoes are mass designed. Every individual have their own unique foot biomechanics. You can't tell a person foot biomechanics from the eyes or running on the tread mill even you have 50+ years of experience.

Your knees are linked to the foot by the ankle joint so if you have faulty foot biomechanics it may affect the foot and also indirectly the knees. The shoe can do so much to provide cushioning and delay the rate of pronation as with the case of dual density midsoles but it can only do so much to help but yet the underlying cause of poor foot biomechanics is not known.

Was doing my research before retiring my Gel Cumulus VIII and buying new shoes...

First question is, have I been wearing the wrong shoes all this time? :redface:

:P Discovered that I am an overpronator after looking at my worn shoes... Excessive wearing out at outer heels...

GEL Cumulus VIII

Closeup of right shoe

Have hit more than 1300km already, 2 marathons and many a few half marathos, no major problems experienced!

Second question is, which Asics shoes for me? :Thinking:

Was thinking of continuing the Cumulus line (felt it was very reliable so far), but after the research and discovering I'm an overpronator, may consider a Kayano or something else instead... Seriously lost...

Please advice, thank you very very much!

p/s: Don't like running on the threadmill thingies at the shoe shops, the run feels very unnatural and uncomfortable.

Was doing my research before retiring my Gel Cumulus VIII and buying new shoes...

First question is, have I been wearing the wrong shoes all this time? :redface:

:P Discovered that I am an overpronator after looking at my worn shoes... Excessive wearing out at outer heels...

GEL Cumulus VIII

Closeup of right shoe

Have hit more than 1300km already, 2 marathons and many a few half marathos, no major problems experienced!

Second question is, which Asics shoes for me? :Thinking:

Was thinking of continuing the Cumulus line (felt it was very reliable so far), but after the research and discovering I'm an overpronator, may consider a Kayano or something else instead... Seriously lost...

Please advice, thank you very very much!

p/s: Don't like running on the threadmill thingies at the shoe shops, the run feels very unnatural and uncomfortable.

Hi Peace

Actually from the look of your existing shoes... you supinate, i.e. under-pronate, and not over-pronate... Over-pronation will result in wearing out the medial (inner) side of the shoe... Given that you supinate, then cushioning shoes is your type... If fact, I think you may just have normal feet... as the wear is actually quite even (and not overly-excessive on the lateral (outer) side).

If indeed you have normal feet, then you can go for almost any shoe... The new Cumulus 9 is pretty good (I've tried it). The Nimbus 9 is not bad either (I did the SCM 42km in it), albeit a little expensive. Think Kayano is a very safe bet as it is for feet that's normal to mild over-pronation. You can also try GT series or Landreth...

Just my personal opinion... Cheers!