Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

philip

SGRunners.COM Shoe Guide/Review

Dear runners, SGRunners very own shoe guide cum review has been officially launched today. For those who needs to know what kind of shoes to use or always wonder what is pronation all about, hope over to take a look.

SGRunners Shoe Guide

We are also very happy to review our first pair of shoes, the Nike Air Zoom Vomero 2+

Nike Air Zoom Vomero 2+

Stay tune for more shoes to be reviewed.

Great job guys.

Philip, what will the format of the reviews be? User review from all forumers, reviews by mods/power users, or links/texts from formal review sites?

Great job guys.

Philip, what will the format of the reviews be? User review from all forumers, reviews by mods/power users, or links/texts from formal review sites?

Hi dkw,

thanks for your compliments. Please give feedback on how I can improve the system.

Regarding your enquiry: All reviews are done by a panel of shoe reviewers selected strictly from among the SGRunners. Their identities, however, are kept confidential. As we are in the infant stage of Project Shoe Reviews with the major shoe brands, most shoes would have an average of 3 runners to review it, both male and female runners and depending if we are allocated the female model of the shoe. At the moment, there's a limit to how many shoes the brand company can give us, thus there would also be cases where there would only be 1 reviewer as we might just be allocated 1 pair of shoes.

I am constantly on the look out for feet sensitive runners who can fit the shoes and hence, the list of reviewers will just keep expanding. More interesting programs regarding the shoe reviews would be coming to the members of SGRunners. Please bear with me as its not easy for me to juggle school, work and doing this shoe review project.

Great job guys.

Hi dkw,

thanks for your compliments. Please give feedback on how I can improve the system.

Regarding your enquiry: All reviews are done by a panel of shoe reviewers selected strictly from among the SGRunners. Their identities, however, are kept confidential. As we are in the infant stage of Project Shoe Reviews with the major shoe brands, most shoes would have an average of 3 runners to review it, both male and female runners and depending if we are allocated the female model of the shoe. At the moment, there's a limit to how many shoes the brand company can give us, thus there would also be cases where there would only be 1 reviewer as we might just be allocated 1 pair of shoes.

I am constantly on the look out for feet sensitive runners who can fit the shoes and hence, the list of reviewers will just keep expanding. More interesting programs regarding the shoe reviews would be coming to the members of SGRunners. Please bear with me as its not easy for me to juggle school, work and doing this shoe review project.

Obviously it is a big undertaking, your efforts are certainly appreciated. As a manner of feedback, I believe in the initial stages you might choose to keep the reviews fairly closed, i.e. by those whom you and the admin are familiar with. However, as you all find your "feet", you could perhaps consider making use of your rich resource, which is the community of runners who post here, who individually get through many pairs of shoes a year, and open up the comments section for their own experiences. This would mirror many review fora (IT, cameras etc.), and those comments are the ones I pay more attention to anyway. You could impose a posting minimum, say 30 posts to filter out fly-by-nighters.

Its your call, of course.

Shameless plug --> If you need a volunteer, I am a size 7.5, heel striking, underpronator. ;)

Very good effort Philip and the shoe reviewers.

A few things that will be useful to me, as a potential shoe user, will be perhaps:

1. Weight and running style of the reviewer (e.g. mid foot striker), whether the reviewers (men and women) finds the fit of the shoes.

2. Average RRP or if possible average selling price on the street.

3. Picture of women style of the shoes (if any).

4. Predecessor model of this shoes.

5. The comments paragraph can be organised into several paragraphs as it seems there are sevel key information in that one paragraph.

6. Maybe can categorise what does the scale means, i.e. say 1-3 means no good, 4-5 average, 6-7 adequate, 7-8 good but can improve more, 8-9 near perfect, or something like that. I don't know if 7/10 is passing mark or 8/10 is good enough.

Cheers, a good effort no less!

Hye philip you are the man. Finally we have an unbiased point of view on shoe review not on ang mo magazines or on the brand websites but by our very own running community.

I guess it will not only be simply to categorise broadly between cushioning, stability or motion control. POssible to include on a scale basis. guess it will be better.

still thanks alot for such review segment.

p.s ------ anyway to review the newton shoes????? i'm very interested to get it.

I would like to request that the review also includes the weight of the shoe (in oz) as well.

It would make it easier to compare against other shoes reviews.

Thanks

Dear all, thank you for your feedbacks, some of the issues brought up were actually taken into consideration during the construction of the review format. Here's a brief background on how I came up with the structure. B4 I 4get, alot of credit must go to taz who assisted me alot in coming out with a skeleton structure to lay foundation on.

After taz completed the skeleton structure, I went thru the shoe review systems of Runnersworld and on-track.com.sg, the only local site which feature shoe reviews. Runnersworld uses sophisticated technology to put the shoe to test like machine clamps to test flexibility, force plates etc to measure cushioning. On the other hand, on-track.com is a typical wear, feel and write kind of review. However, I find the information available at this local site extremly lacking in content. As a consumer or a runner who dont have much knowledge about shoes, I cant really decide what to buy base on their information. Hence, my aim was to look at a review system in btw the 2.

B4 the finalized model of the system came out, I consulted biomechanist Daniel Greenwood, previously from the Australia Institute of Sports and he had very rich experience in doing shoe reviews. We had a long discussion over it and end of the day, everything fall back to the aim of the reviews:

What is the purpose of the shoe reviews n guide? Over the past few weeks, we can see in the forum that there are many new runners who enquire about shoes and these pple usually do not understand the concept of pronation or the type of shoes available in the market. Hence SGRunners' shoe review system aims to:

" Educate the new and inform the experienced"

Basically, its to offer reviews that contain information that wont be too technical or overwhelming to new runners unfamiliar with choosing shoes yet at the same time, provide useful information to seasoned runners with shoe knowledge, that the data can aid them better in deciding their next pair of shoes, all from an unbiased view point. NO exclusiveness or special privileges are given to any brands, ALL SGRunners shoe reviewers are to maintain a strict and fair approach in doing the review. End of the day, if a shoe is lousy, it means its lousy and consumers should be given the truth and honest opinions.

Ok, quite tired liao, need to ZzZ, i will continue with part 2 tomorrow to answer to some of the enquries posted.

hmm philip i think there's one more part to address, even this im also not sure how to solve it: i read quite a few online articles about shoes even without being sold( brand new) quite a few are already faulty ie imbalance in cushion, one shoe improperly constructed and such.

maybe it cannot be addressed and really depends on luck

hmm philip i think there's one more part to address, even this im also not sure how to solve it: i read quite a few online articles about shoes even without being sold( brand new) quite a few are already faulty ie imbalance in cushion, one shoe improperly constructed and such.

Actually Taz would be the better person to address shoe issues, he's the real master.

I was taught by a certain shoe brand that generally shoes can be kept on the shelf for up to about 2 years b4 they have to be discarded. Traditional foam cushioning will disintegrate with time even if you are not wearing it. But the rate of break down is affected by many things like temperature and humidity. Shoes should be stored in a cool surrounding.

But you have to take into consideration the different technology. Nike Air zoom and air max cushioning, theortically if the air bubble dont burst, the cushioning has in infinite life. Asics Gel can definately take alot more beating than typical foam. Adidas A3 uses individual pieces of plastic for cushioning, plastic should have longer life as well. So its not so easy to conclude if shoes just break down w/o use after a certain period of time being left in the warehouse or stores. This can be true maybe 20 years ago when most running shoes still use mainly foam as cushioning, but today, each individual brand has their own form of technology to enhance their shoes after years of RnD.

I had been hoping to see something like this get started in the FORUM. And I have a rough idea how it should be:

1) There should be a thread for each model of shoe.

2) The thread starts with basic technical info about the shoe, the type (cushion/stability etc), and comments by the (official) tester. Plus links to other review sites of the same model.

3) Followed by posts from others who have BOUGHT and USED the model; and questions/answers from the rest.

I feel (3) is valuable because (no offense to the official testers) that's where we get the broad base of users and their unbiased feedback. People who run on different terrains, and ppl coping with injuries etc. New runners can also hear from different opinions rather than from limited number of testers.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Actually Taz would be the better person to address shoe issues, he's the real master.

I was taught by a certain shoe brand that generally shoes can be kept on the shelf for up to about 2 years b4 they have to be discarded. Traditional foam cushioning will disintegrate with time even if you are not wearing it. But the rate of break down is affected by many things like temperature and humidity. Shoes should be stored in a cool surrounding.

But you have to take into consideration the different technology. Nike Air zoom and air max cushioning, theortically if the air bubble dont burst, the cushioning has in infinite life. Asics Gel can definately take alot more beating than typical foam. Adidas A3 uses individual pieces of plastic for cushioning, plastic should have longer life as well. So its not so easy to conclude if shoes just break down w/o use after a certain period of time being left in the warehouse or stores. This can be true maybe 20 years ago when most running shoes still use mainly foam as cushioning, but today, each individual brand has their own form of technology to enhance their shoes after years of RnD.

solid....!!! so many shoe masters here. now i start to wonder if any one actually got buy the newton shoes and review it. i want to get newton running shoes.

but from the many shoes i wore and throw away, find that most of us here don't really use the shoes to ultimate state of really 100% cushion breakdown. we change the shoe after beating the road for 600-800km depending on individuals.

Yo I heard that the Asics Nimbus 9 will be out in Sept and really looking forward to it... Hopefully you can do a review of that shoe!!

Cheers

Yo I heard that the Asics Nimbus 9 will be out in Sept and really looking forward to it... Hopefully you can do a review of that shoe!!

Cheers

Dear runners, thank you for your valuable feedbacks, currently taz is not around and the biomechanics team has left for overseas, I will gather these feedbacks and have a discussion with both of them.

The next pair of shoes reviewed would be out in about early August. As that review was already done earlier, kindly take note that the format of the review would be the same as the Vomeros. Changes (if any) would only be reflected in future models and after my discussion with the 2 of them.

Currently, our shoes reviewed are only from certain brands companies, as much as I would like to heed the request of runners to review certain popular shoe model, it is not really possible unless its the allocated model to us. Its impossible for me to come out with my own money to purchase a pair of shoes for review as the expenses would only be a burden to me (im still a student).

Chuanjoo --- yes, im also looking forward to the Nimbus 9, I had the Nimbus 7 and it served me faithfully for 1100km. Even till now having tried the different cushioning shoes from different brands, personally Nimbus is still the King of Cushioning for me.

er....i saw my name mentioned here...and yes...i am back.

Do give us some time to review the suggestions.....and see what we can do to improve on the shoes reviews and forum structure......

anyway, 3 cheers for philip for championing this...trust me, he spent a lot of time on this and we do have limitation on the shoes to be sampled as he mentioned but he will try his best to get the right information and knowledge to share with everyone.

just a thought.. but perhaps can enable the comments section so that ppl can give their feedbacks of the shoe as well?

Dear all

Nimbus 9 has officially hit Singapore shores!!!

damnnn shweee!!!!

How muchie ?

erm..very ex. i saw the price, don't remember but it should be somewhere between $230-$250 before discount..maybe quite near or abt e same as kayano..

all i could remember was..."wah!! so ex!!" :P

Dear all

Nimbus 9 has officially hit Singapore shores!!!

damnnn shweee!!!!

How muchie ?

erm..very ex. i saw the price, don't remember but it should be somewhere between $230-$250 before discount..maybe quite near or abt e same as kayano..

all i could remember was..."wah!! so ex!!" :P

Thank you Roonz. Expensive shoe. Maybe wait for Asics warehouse sales to get the Nimbus 8 then or switch to Saucony shoe.

Nimbus 9.... saw the model online.... looks good with the blue.

wow.. 230-250.. that's ex.

any PE teachers here... maybe u have "lobang" with the warehouse...haha

Dear all,

after a dry patch for a while due to my really hectic schedule as well as trying to establish my present small team of reviewers, I present to you our 2nd review: Adistar Cushion 6

Review of Adistar Cushion 6

Some changes to the review layout after heeding feedback from you guys. Changes include:

1) Technology of the shoes

2) Weight in Oz

3) Pics of both gender model

4) Range of sizes available

5) What does the number scale mean (Pls read bottom).

Grading value and its meaning

In each grading parameter, values between 1 to 10 are given with an overall grading given to the shoe as well. The values are explained as per:

1-2: Better to run barefooted.

3-4: Good for walking, not for running.

5-6: Shoes from Army E-mart are better, cheaper too.

7-8: Good shoes, would think twice before changing brands.

9-10: Its so good that my shoes are locked in the safe after my run.

Dear all,

Thot u might be interested to hear about Newton Running.

I went to the US 2 weeks ago for a meeting & pre-ordered a pair of Newtons. It was promptly delivered to my hotel the night I arrived. I immediately went to the gym & ran 10k in them. in my 8 days in the US, I ran about 35K in my Newtons & I LOVE them, with a few caveat:

1) I thought I was a decent forefoot/midfoot striker, until my left foot & my right calf satrting feeling sore after 2 runs. I have since logged another 26k since I got back 4 days ago. The soreness has definitely gone away. My advice is not to underestimate the break-in period; not for the shoes but to the shoes!

2) The shoe does not work magic & improve one's timing overnight. I did improve my 21k timing by 3 minutes in these shoes (compared to my last half marathon in August). But dpn't expect them to cut your PR by a huge margin!

Overall, I really like them. I am going to use them for a long run of 35k next week. Will update & tell you what happens then!

weekeong70