Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sethabsolvat

running with a camelbak

Yo guys,

i wanna get a hydration pack too..planning to get a TNF hydration pack..any runner ever uses it, any comments for it ?

junwei, I have used a TNF hydration pack and quite liked it. The only thing I would say is to check storage space for other items. The one I have does not have much room for gels, wallet, keys etc... I used the TNF for the Northface100 last year and for ongoing training and it's performed really well. I did have to 'customise' it a little to create additional storage. (I attached small camera pouches to the shoulder and waist straps using velcro)

Just recently, however, I purchased a Raidlight Endurance 10L. It's awesome and has more storage for additional items. On top of that, this pack also has storage in the waist strap for gels, additional water bottle and ipod/mp3 player. I run home with this and also when doing LSD's on the weekends.

I'd recommend making a small list of the functions/capabilities you're looking for and making sure the hydration pack ticks all the boxes (eg: good air flow around the back, gel storage, easy to fill, comfort, weight, size of bladder, price, seperate compartments etc....)

For cleaning, I'd recommend using.... mouthwash... as well as the cleaning brush. Mouthwash is designed to kill germs on contact and is not too harmful if swallowing sediment left over after cleaning (unlike soap). I use mouthwash and have had the same bladder for over 8 months now. Also remember to empty as much water out and hang it up to dry.

I got the Raidlight pack and the bladder cleaning brushes from Adventure21 at Chinatown point. The guy in there is very helpful and knows his stuff when it comes to hiking/tramping and trail running equipment.

Good luck with your search.

Yo guys,

i wanna get a hydration pack too..planning to get a TNF hydration pack..any runner ever uses it, any comments for it ?

junwei, I have used a TNF hydration pack and quite liked it. The only thing I would say is to check storage space for other items. The one I have does not have much room for gels, wallet, keys etc... I used the TNF for the Northface100 last year and for ongoing training and it's performed really well. I did have to 'customise' it a little to create additional storage. (I attached small camera pouches to the shoulder and waist straps using velcro)

Just recently, however, I purchased a Raidlight Endurance 10L. It's awesome and has more storage for additional items. On top of that, this pack also has storage in the waist strap for gels, additional water bottle and ipod/mp3 player. I run home with this and also when doing LSD's on the weekends.

I'd recommend making a small list of the functions/capabilities you're looking for and making sure the hydration pack ticks all the boxes (eg: good air flow around the back, gel storage, easy to fill, comfort, weight, size of bladder, price, seperate compartments etc....)

For cleaning, I'd recommend using.... mouthwash... as well as the cleaning brush. Mouthwash is designed to kill germs on contact and is not too harmful if swallowing sediment left over after cleaning (unlike soap). I use mouthwash and have had the same bladder for over 8 months now. Also remember to empty as much water out and hang it up to dry.

I got the Raidlight pack and the bladder cleaning brushes from Adventure21 at Chinatown point. The guy in there is very helpful and knows his stuff when it comes to hiking/tramping and trail running equipment.

Good luck with your search.

wooo bro..thanks a lot for the advice..i will consider it carefully..heehee..thanks man..i was afraid that the hydration pack will be very heavy..

wooo bro..thanks a lot for the advice..i will consider it carefully..heehee..thanks man..i was afraid that the hydration pack will be very heavy..

They're not too heavy. If looking for just hydration pack, I found the TNF to be great. I have a 2L bladder and it's not too heavy.

They're not too heavy. If looking for just hydration pack, I found the TNF to be great. I have a 2L bladder and it's not too heavy.

ya..i don't want it to be too heavy and at the same time can hold items too..but is it necessary to use a hydration pack during a marathon or for a ultra instead ? coz i am not planning to attempt my ultra yet..

imo, it really depends wad kind of training u need......

if u training for long dist, there might be alternative like petrol kios for water etc if hydration is a concern.....

like ayster ( sorry forgot his nick ) said compartment is fine.... every brand have its good and bad, just go and have a look,

as for TNF100, i met him also.... not sure about him.... for distance like 25km, the abrasion from the up and down from the back and friction is quite painful ( this is for my case and it just take a night and hopefully gone )

well above are just my 2 cents...

if u training for long dist, there might be alternative like petrol kios for water etc if hydration is a concern.....

like ayster ( sorry forgot his nick ) said compartment is fine.... every brand have its good and bad, just go and have a look,

as for TNF100, i met him also.... not sure about him.... for distance like 25km, the abrasion from the up and down from the back and friction is quite painful ( this is for my case and it just take a night and hopefully gone )

ya, i am worry about hydration when i am training long dist..i couldn't find much hydration point except for stadium and police station..i don't know that petrol kiosk has drinking point too..if not, must spend money on drinks during the run..

thus i want to get a hydration pack..i was afraid of the abrasion from the movement of the bag..if not, i will change to fuel belt instead..can store drinks and hp, keys etc..

ya, i am worry about hydration when i am training long dist..i couldn't find much hydration point except for stadium and police station..i don't know that petrol kiosk has drinking point too..if not, must spend money on drinks during the run..

thus i want to get a hydration pack..i was afraid of the abrasion from the movement of the bag..if not, i will change to fuel belt instead..can store drinks and hp, keys etc..

Hydration during a long run is a must, there are several strategies to accomplish this.

1) Carry your own hydration - Camelbak, Fuel belt, carry in hand, take your choice. For a run >25K, I carry a 1.5L Camelbak (which really can carry only about 1.2L) AND 2 cans of isotonic in hand. 300 mls every 5K. The camelbak is not very heavy but can give abrasions if you are wearing sleeveless, so for those runs I wear a short sleeve running top. Works for me.

2) Top up a long the way. Suss out your route and find out where the water-stops/24hr shops/petrol stations may be. Yeah, you may need to spend a bit of cash, not more than $4-$5 if you completely rely on this alone for a long run. But consider you may be doing 4-5 long runs leading up to a race, and how much you spend on your running gear and race fees, its really a small price to pay to train safely.