Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sethabsolvat

running with a camelbak

Hi all,

just recently decided to buy a camelbak to accompany me on long runs..

used to carry around coins in my shorts to buy drinks with when i was training for the SCSM,

hated it with a vengence, but i just couldn't last twenty to thirty klick without water!

so i just went out and bought this. seldom see anyone running around with a waterbag.

anyone else here runs with a waterbag?

post-2153-1166957705_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

just recently decided to buy a camelbak to accompany me on long runs..

used to carry around coins in my shorts to buy drinks with when i was training for the SCSM,

hated it with a vengence, but i just couldn't last twenty to thirty klick without water!

so i just went out and bought this. seldom see anyone running around with a waterbag.

anyone else here runs with a waterbag?

post-2153-1166957705_thumb.jpg

lots of folks here do that, e.g. tiwazz, IMD, mythos, doraemon_red, etc.... :)

How much water does it store?

Do you put just plain water in the camelbak for your long runs?

If I'm not mistaken, there are bag ranging from 1.5 litres to 3 litres.

Can't answer your 2nd question as I do not own one yet !

Cant remember if i paid $59 or $69.. Thought it was a little ex though. Bought it at Motion Sports at the paragon fourth floor i think. Great store by the way. Stores 1.5L, feels super light for that much water. Haven't tried filling it with anything else yet, was wondering if it would cause algae, fungi or whatever. Anyone else tried it filling it with other drinks? but i gotta say, its a fantastic way to increase your running range. especially for me, since i usually run alone. MUCH better than running into kopi tiams in the middle of your run :)

Well, I put ice cube and cold istonic drinks for my heat runs.

BUT if you do that, do clean it very well after run immediately.

The reason is I dun clean it immediately and now the tube contains algae. :-)

Haha i used to mix isotonic powders and other weird drinks into my green army water bottle for route marches, until one day i looked closely at the cap and found hairy algae growing! I realise that the one i bought doesn't come with a user's guide, how do you clean the tube anyway?

You can buy the cleaning kit which has brushes to clean everything. I stopped using them cos I am too lazy to clean them. Even leaving a tiny bit of plain water in it will allow algae to thrive.

Cant remember if i paid $59 or $69.. Thought it was a little ex though. Bought it at Motion Sports at the paragon fourth floor i think. Great store by the way. Stores 1.5L, feels super light for that much water. Haven't tried filling it with anything else yet, was wondering if it would cause algae, fungi or whatever. Anyone else tried it filling it with other drinks? but i gotta say, its a fantastic way to increase your running range. especially for me, since i usually run alone. MUCH better than running into kopi tiams in the middle of your run :)

yep, very useful for long-distance running when you dun want to have to worry about waterpoints. :)

and after you get used to training with the weight on your back, you can actually be a lot faster during actual races when water points are set up and you don't carry your camelbak

i am looking for a camelbak with running jacket. I can't take a typical camelbak as the straps cause abrasion on the shoulder. :frusty:

I saw salomon hydration bag before that have the jacket. Check on the internet, cant find the model on the market anymore.

anyone have any suggestion?

i am looking for a camelbak with running jacket. I can't take a typical camelbak as the straps cause abrasion on the shoulder. :frusty:

I saw salomon hydration bag before that have the jacket. Check on the internet, cant find the model on the market anymore.

have you tried ebay? i bet the site has a lot of current as well as past even vintage item up for auction.try it you might be in luck.

i'm wondering can i get a hydration bag less than 50 in singapore.cos camelbak here i guess quite ex.

Haha i used to mix isotonic powders and other weird drinks into my green army water bottle for route marches, until one day i looked closely at the cap and found hairy algae growing! I realise that the one i bought doesn't come with a user's guide, how do you clean the tube anyway?

One cheap and easy way to clean the tube, is to get your hands on a length of rubber coated electrical wire, about a meter long, roughly 2-3mm in diameter. (You'll see why later) Then on one end, create a few knots, not one after another mind you, but one over another, creating a bigger and bigger knot each time you add a new knot. Its easier to control the size of this "knot-ball" with thinner wire. (See!) Pass the free end through the tube. (And if you're wondering why not use string? Its too soft and floopy to pass through the tube) And pull the big "knot-ball" through the tube. Make sure there are no sharp bare wires protruding out of this "knot-ball" which could potentially scratch your tube lining. There should be some resistance, and you should feel a bulge through the tube. Do this over the sink, and watch all the gooey gooey stuff ooze out!

Another way to rid your hydration bladders or bottles of old sport drink smells and tastes, is to clean it with a solution of baking soda and warm water.(About a tablespoonful to about a litre of warm water) Let it soak in this solution for about an hour.

have you tried ebay? i bet the site has a lot of current as well as past even vintage item up for auction.try it you might be in luck.

i'm wondering can i get a hydration bag less than 50 in singapore.cos camelbak here i guess quite ex.

i got mine from beach road market. it was $70 i think, it's called the Ruth (er sorry it's rouge i think hee) model 2litres for cycling, comes with reflective tape, side pockets etc. enough to store wallet, hp, gels, tyre tube etc. This model comes with a chest strap so it doesnt shake around during bike and run, i have no abrasion/chaff problems unlike the others even under hot sun and bare-bodied, but then the the bag must be fastened tight. i put enegry drink and electrolye powder into the bag, so now the water bag has some dark black residue(not sure if it's ants), quite disgusting, but it will be too troublesome to scrub it off with thee brush, so i just heck care...i'm a sweaty person, the bag is a saviour....

Also, i do not think the other brands are as good as the camelpak, so far the rest i seen are using those zippper bag method for storing water...i don't trust it, camel's design still the best i think, though pricey and not as stylish as others....rather pay abit more for proven design..

i got mine from beach road market. it was $70 i think, it's called the Ruth model 2litres for cycling, comes with reflective tape, side pockets etc. enough to store wallet, hp, gels, tyre tube etc. This model comes with a chest strap so it doesnt shake around during bike and run, i have no abrasion/chaff problems unlike the others even under hot sun and bare-bodied, but then the the bag must be fastened tight. i put enegry drink and electrolye powder into the bag, so now the water bag has some dark black residue(not sure if it's ants), quite disgusting, but it will be too troublesome to scrub it off with thee brush, so i just heck care...i'm a sweaty person, the bag is a saviour....

Also, i do not think the other brands are as good as the camelpak, so far the rest i seen are using those zippper bag method for storing water...i don't trust it, camel's design still the best i think, though pricey and not as stylish as others....rather pay abit more for proven design..

i think i've heard of the ruth model before.kinda the one used by commando unit.black color type.

o ya babu i think you got the big one with so many space to put all your barang barang.till now i still believe camelbak produces one of the better products in the market,i'll find sometime to go down to beach rd to check it out.

Oh man.. I didn't realise that cleaning the tube would be so much trouble!

Hmm.. I didnt have any problems with abrasions with mine yet, longest i've gone with it is around two hours plus.

Which is kinda surprising since i usually get abrasions easily.. anyways Merry Christmas everyone :)

Hmm.. I didnt have any problems with abrasions with mine yet, longest i've gone with it is around two hours plus.

Which is kinda surprising since i usually get abrasions easily.. anyways Merry Christmas everyone :)

hee longest i have gone with mine was 6hrs for 120km bike and 19km run on sat...no abrasion also but weather was kind.. :Big Grin:

I use a camelbak on almost all my runs unless its anything less than 6km. Mine is quite an antique and basic model by camelbak and is 1.5litres. I'm also one of those guilty of not cleaning it out at once after use and waiting till black stuff starts to swim around in the tube. Yucks! :Big Grin: Well I keep telling myself that I will clean it immediately after use next time but it just doesn't seem to happen lah.

Anyway, you can buy a cleaning kit by camelbak. The kit consists of a plastic flexible hanger to insert inside the bladder to expand it and then you can hang it up to dry. It also consists of some cleaning tablets and a long thin wire brush designed to insert into the drinking tube for cleaning it out. I don't have the whole kit cos its quite expensive but have only the long wire brush which I found a Godsend to clean out the floating black things swimming in the tube. As for the bladder itself, I use a baby bottle brush to clean out the inside, which I found it works well too :)

Hi Sethabsolvat

Another way to preserve the cleanliness of your Camelbak is to store the bladder in the freezer after cleaning it. No algae problems!

I've been using a camelbak flashflo for a few years. Only use it with plain water and not isotonic drink. I rinse everything everytime after using it, then hang it out to air dry. So far no algae issue with the tubing, but do have a slight one with the mouth piece. Helps to blow through the tubing to remove any remaining water before hanging it up, I think.

I alternate between the fuelbelt bottle and the hydration pack (2 litres).

Got the hydration pack at Sport Expo 2006 Dec

I've been using a camelbak flashflo for a few years. Only use it with plain water and not isotonic drink. I rinse everything everytime after using it, then hang it out to air dry. So far no algae issue with the tubing, but do have a slight one with the mouth piece. Helps to blow through the tubing to remove any remaining water before hanging it up, I think.

one suggestion for cleaning out the bite valve (aka mouthpiece) is using cotton buds.

personally never used fuelbelt but from an engineer point of view i think it's a total crap product heee and expensive and over-rated.. er since you have a hydration pak and fuel belt, care to provide reviews to prove me wrong? those 4 lor 6 little products from fuelbelt is just not enough to last a ironman or marathon distance man ..thats what i feel...

personally never used fuelbelt but from an engineer point of view i think it's a total crap product heee and expensive and over-rated.. er since you have a hydration pak and fuel belt, care to provide reviews to prove me wrong? those 4 lor 6 little products from fuelbelt is just not enough to last a ironman or marathon distance man ..thats what i feel...

Sorry Babumouse. I am not here to prove you wrong or prove anything. I am just sharing what I am using and being just new to this running passion since August 2006 after lay off for 20 years plus. Sorry. I am not here to prove anything. Use what suit you best. Just sharing another source of product. There are others products like camelbak, Nathan, Deutuer (i think spell this way and I maybe wrong) and I also saw one new brand in the Sport Expo and think it is hydro pack and pretty new in Singapore. The agent is promoting it and cost effective around $50 for 1.5 litres and there is a cleaning kit as well (optional).

Doesn't matter which brand or which engineering design in water flow and accessibility. So long you are happy to use one for Ironman or marathon long distance should be happy with it. I am no expert and in such race, there should/may be water point. However when one is running/training alone for long distance, there is no water point and thus such hydration pack come in handy.

Have a nice Merry Christmas seasons

:Party:

Sorry Babumouse. I am not here to prove you wrong or prove anything. I am just sharing what I am using and being just new to this running passion since August 2006 after lay off for 20 years plus. Sorry. I am not here to prove anything. Use what suit you best. Just sharing another source of product. There are others products like camelbak, Nathan, Deutuer (i think spell this way and I maybe wrong) and I also saw one new brand in the Sport Expo and think it is hydro pack and pretty new in Singapore. The agent is promoting it and cost effective around $50 for 1.5 litres and there is a cleaning kit as well (optional).

Doesn't matter which brand or which engineering design in water flow and accessibility. So long you are happy to use one for Ironman or marathon long distance should be happy with it. I am no expert and in such race, there should/may be water point. However when one is running/training alone for long distance, there is no water point and thus such hydration pack come in handy.

Have a nice Merry Christmas seasons

:Party:

merry christmas....but i really want to know and have some comparison feedback between the fuel belt and hydration pak. i nearly wanted to get the fuel belt but it's too expensive and not enough to last the distance. the good part is you can add different energy drinks to the bottle....