Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joao_li

How to Improve 2.4 Km to 9 or lower

Hi ,

i was pondering this qn for some time cos i seem to be stuck at running btw :/ 9:53-10:00 , any :hail: "shi fu" or :ph34r: ninjas have any specific trainning manual/tips to guide me along? :)

TIA

9.53-10 mins for 2.4km is a reasonably fast timing wo!

nth to be laughed at at least...!! hmmm for dis Qs

mayb muz consult IMD or Teelee liaoz... hur hur

but i'd tink dat u can try doin "interval training" on e track

it will certainly help build ur speed! but takes loads of discipline!! :P

Ya true.. interval training did help alot.. few mnths back in army, our instructors make us run 5 x 800m interval under 3mins.. with only two session on that week.. The following wk when we took our IPPT, Most of us improve by about 30 secs... quite amazing right..!!

Ya true.. interval training did help alot.. few mnths back in army, our instructors make us run 5 x 800m interval under 3mins.. with only two session on that week.. The following wk when we took our IPPT, Most of us improve by about 30 secs... quite amazing right..!!

ye...i agree....u jus run interval.do oyu have a heart rate monitor?it mus be between 85-90%of your maximum HR to be effective and not jus abt the timing and speed.tink you can build on this part.dun think 800 is quite ok might be too long 4 sprint distance.when i trained for my sub 9 timing i ran 400m X 10......at my areobic threshold....

Yeah, I'm with them. Interval training work wonders.

I usually do 3x800m

Ratio of rest time to run time is 1:1

For your timing, u shud start with about 3:12 per 800m for 3 sets... that is, if u wanna adopt my style la haha.

Hmm..today i tried 3 X 800 M under 3 mins ,

1 800 M 2:55

2 800 M 3:17

3 800 M 3:39

But too bad cann't meet the timing ..so how did ur instructors push u guys ah ?

ye...i agree....u jus run interval.do oyu have a heart rate monitor?it mus be between 85-90%of your maximum HR to be effective and not jus abt the timing and speed.tink you can build on this part.dun think 800 is quite ok might be too long 4 sprint distance.when i trained for my sub 9 timing i ran 400m X 10......at my areobic threshold....

I dun have a HRM btw ,400M x 10 at ur aerobic threshold ? hmm....this is new to me , all along i tot running just run only :)

Does everyone have different aerobic threshold ?

Hmm..today i tried 3 X 800 M under 3 mins ,

1 800 M 2:55

2 800 M 3:17

3 800 M 3:39

But too bad cann't meet the timing ..so how did ur instructors push u guys ah ?

Timing to be met in interval training shouldnt be the same for everyone. Different standard shud hit different timing. If u r keen to try 3x800m, I still believe 3:12min is suitable for u at this stage (This is provided u can hit 9:53 to 10min now). Try to be consistant in e timings, so go easy on e first set and try to minimize e difference in timings in each of e 3 sets.

Oh rmb to rest exactly e time taken to run e last set, so it shud be about 3:12min of rest time too... jus walk around e start point and breathe deeply. :cheers:

Good luck!!!

u might want to run between 6-8 sets of 400m sprints, each set between 1min 10sec to 1 min 20 sec. once u complete the 1st set, u can jog slowly for about 200-400m before u start your 2nd set.

this was one of the training methods that was used in my safsa rowing training many, many years ago. super siong but the results are very obvious. i will not be surprised if u go under 9min for your 2.4km.

-edmund

Hi joao_li , here are some suggestions that may be helpful.

No heat people, but i think 800m interval training is a bit much for a person who does not do interval training frequently. I think training should be PROGRESSIVE, so don't start too big, be realistic and slowly but surely, you'll find success. There are a few training programmes for interval training.

30:60

Basically, you give your maximum running effort for 30 seconds and stop to walk or jog for 60 seconds. At the end of 60 seconds, do another 30 seconds of maximum effort and stop to rest for another 60 seconds. Start with about 5 sets of sprints and call it a day. Progressively switch to 60:120 which is the same concept as 30:60, only that this time, you run for 60 seconds and rest for 120 seconds. After that, you can proceed to 400m interval training.

400m Interval Training

400m interval training would be running round the track in the fastest time possible. here, a technique called "Striding" would be used. the concept of striding is to attain more distance with less steps. while striding, keep your posture upright, look up, pull your shoulders back and swing your arms. open up your steps and kick off harder on each step. Take your timing for the first 400 metres, multiply by 2 and that will be your resting time. As you progress, shorthen the rest time or even add in some push-ups, sit-ups or pull-ups during your rest. It will at the same time improve your performance in those excercises tremendously. Start with 4x 400m and slowly increase your sets to 6-8. Once you hit 8, you should progress to 800m interval training.

Alternatively, the 2 training methods can be done on inclined terrain (up a slope for example) and other places too, to make it more challenging or easier depending on what you want.

While concentrating on interval training, do not neglect your endurance runs as well! that way, your body will be able to keep up with the improved speed it's capable of reaching! Personally, this was my path to running success. I just thought i'd share it with you and i hope it will work for you too!

to answer some of your questions :

You asked how instructors motivated their men. I think that setting a reasonable and REALISTIC goal and attaining that in a pretty fast time is very encouraging. everytime you attain that timing, you'll feel motivated and you'd think "hey, i could do that anytime!" and slowly, you'd believe it and it'd really be no problem after a while! instructors also promise perks and welfare, like early book-outs or longer breaks, so maybe you could find something you can pamper yourself with once you reach your goal.

Everyone's aerobic threshold is different. Compare a 20 year old runner to an old man, get my drift? aerobic threshold is basically your maximum running performance capability. the thing is, we wanna work and increase our personal aerobic thresholds to attain certain personal goals.

cheers,

xav

hmm u can do interval as aforesaid as well as tempo run slightly longer than 2.4km.that's what i did to achieve sub 9 timing...... quite effective. but will take u between 2wks to 1mths....should b able to see some improvement depending on your current level of fitness.whats your 2.4km timing now?

Interval running is good but do have in mind what's your target time.

Since you mentioned under 9, then you've have run 10x400m in 1min25sec each round. Resting time is actually subjetive. When you first start out, you may want to rest slightly longer, let's say 2min. But as you progress, you may cut the resting time down to 1min30sec or 1min, and increase the laps up to 15 or above.

If your timing falls beyond 1min30sec, then you better rest longer. Cos the purpose of the training to get your body accustomed to the speed so no point forcing yourself if you can't meet the timing.

You may want to try fartlek too, with slow jogs in between each set.

Even for interval training, you can have some variations, such as down ladder, i.e. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, x400m.

Do remember to bring a stopwatch to keep track of progress. :cheers:

Long long time since last post... maybe it's time for me to revive this topic :D

I ran a 2.4 today to see how much I'd improved. I finished it in 10:17, which is only 2 seconds better than the 10:19 I ran for my NAPFA in May. In between I've tried lots of things, like increasing my weekly mileage (still low at ~30km/week), increasing weekly long run from 6km to 9km, intervals (once a week I run either 6x400@1:30 or 3x800@3:15). A few weeks ago I even managed to run 4 laps in 6:19, so I thought I'd be able to pull a sub-10 minute run today.

Somehow it didn't happen though. I thought I'm well rested since the last time I ran before today was my Saturday long run, but still couldn't meet my target of below 10 minutes.

Any of you who had similar problems? What do I need to do, should I do more interval reps (maybe 4x800 or more?)

Long long time since last post... maybe it's time for me to revive this topic :D

I ran a 2.4 today to see how much I'd improved. I finished it in 10:17, which is only 2 seconds better than the 10:19 I ran for my NAPFA in May. In between I've tried lots of things, like increasing my weekly mileage (still low at ~30km/week), increasing weekly long run from 6km to 9km, intervals (once a week I run either 6x400@1:30 or 3x800@3:15). A few weeks ago I even managed to run 4 laps in 6:19, so I thought I'd be able to pull a sub-10 minute run today.

Somehow it didn't happen though. I thought I'm well rested since the last time I ran before today was my Saturday long run, but still couldn't meet my target of below 10 minutes.

Any of you who had similar problems? What do I need to do, should I do more interval reps (maybe 4x800 or more?)

try doing 6x400m or 3x800m or 5km tempo run once a wk....

u shld seen more improvement

Try running at noon time under hot sun. If you can take it and run comfortably, you should do very well in the mornings or evening.

Pat

i guess alot of suggestions has been given. U gotta understand that 2.4 is a reasonably short distance to run :o

First you gotta set a target. Divide it by the distance , be it 400m or 800m and you will know how fast you need to be running for 400/800m.

Need to push slightly more and also do some slope training to strengthen your quads and calves to give you the push

the more common distance is 400m

use 1st 400m as the benchmark timing (provided u run at ur best).

try to beat the previous timing.

interval rest = < 55s

do about 6-8 times.

2.4km is a short run. Your weekly mileage is sufficient for preparation of 2.4km. What you need is more intervals (short ones like 200m-400m).

i have even a lower mileage than TS due to time constraint, but its the intensity that matters in these distance like 2.4km.

interval trg is highly recommended, alternatively, can try "Beep Test". it works wonders too.

for interval trg, i recommend

1. 4 sets 400m (1.45min - 1.50min per 400m)

2. 2 sets 800m (3.30min - 3.45min per 800m)

and if u can proceed,

3. 2 sets 1000m (4.15min - 4.20min per km)

after these confirm happy man,good work out.

i feel that people who have not yet go under 9min for 2.4km is because they do not know the pace and is not used to the heart rate and latic acid build up. by doing interval trg, runners will have a systematic build-up up-to the distance 2.4km by running at the required speed for shorter distance.

I wonder if doing "fart legging" whilst pulling a tyre would help........should build the quads well for power

Have run a couple of 5K runs, and some gal ran one in 13 mins! - dunno her training strategy

hi, i can help you. i just did 2.8km run in 9:10 so 2.4km should be sub 8.

one thing you need is power training, running flat is not very productive, hill power training is the key

stair training helps alot in conditioning your quad

doing v long run will not help. cap your long run to 3.6 max

but you should not be over optimistic on your timing, you should try to get it below 10 ....

as you progresses, it will get even harder to shave that miliseconds

I wonder if doing "fart legging" whilst pulling a tyre would help........should build the quads well for power

Have run a couple of 5K runs, and some gal ran one in 13 mins! - dunno her training strategy

that must be "some gal"??!!

just did a wiki on the current world record for 5km... "The world record for men is 12:37.35 set by Ethiopian Kenenisa Bekele in 2004.[1] The women's record is 14:16.63, set by Meseret Defar in Oslo in June 2007.[2]"