AhXiong

Treadmill Recommendation

Dear gurus,

I'm currently sourcing for a treadmill and I need advise:

1. If my running mileage is around 60km (6-7 hours) per week, with a budget of $3K, any recommended model that I can get?

2. Currently I have a treadmill and looking for trade in.  Any seller accept trade in?

Thanks!

I don't know about the sellers/retailers there in Singapore, so I can't give advice on who accepts trade ins or what brands are available on the market over there. But if you're thinking of buying a treadmill this is what I have to say:

1. Buy the one with the most powerful horesepower within your budget, preferably at 3 to 3.5 continuous duty horsepower. (CHP) Note: this is very important! If the manufacturer doesn't specify it to be continuous duty horsepower, don't even consider it! If you can't find one that's at least 3 continuous duty horsepower, don't go any lower than 2.5 CHP. In the latter case, use it for light duty use only (ex: 5k jogs at 8kph max).

Reason: In my experience, cheap treadmills with weak motors don't last, and are a waste of money. The motor will always have to strain too hard and eventually burn out faster. Oh, everything will work fine when new of course, but 6-12 months later, a treadmill with a weak motor will usually start having problems. Even if it has a long warranty, it's still a "pain in the neck" to wait to have it serviced, and you don't even know if parts will be available. You are not being clever or smart when you buy something cheap thinking you've managed to save $$$ compared to the price of the more reputable models, but will have have it repaired or replaced every year.

For example:

$1000 cheap model ; buy a new one every year = $3000 total for 3 years
                            vs.
$3000 good model that lasts for 5 years without problems = $3000 for 5 years

If you're going to spend that much anyway, you might as well buy something decent right? (without breaking the bank of course)

2. I know space may be a consideration for some residences in Singapore, so you may want to sell off your old treadmill first before buying a new one. If nobody wants to buy, you might just donate it to a charitable organization  (rehab clinic for indigents or sports NGOs for poor youths perhaps?) In a worst case scenario, just give it up for recycling/scrap (I know @Lady Ice will even commend you for that! 😅

A gym? Uhm. maybe not in a time like this
Perhaps when the world is finally rid of Covid-19! 😅

I made do running a 12 meter indoor loop inside the house when my whole city was under lockdown remember? 😜
And I did that for almost 2 months! A treadmill would have helped a lot at that time though...

On 12/25/2020 at 3:20 AM, RaijinFJ said:

A gym? Uhm. maybe not in a time like this
Perhaps when the world is finally rid of Covid-19! 😅

I made do running a 12 meter indoor loop inside the house when my whole city was under lockdown remember? 😜
And I did that for almost 2 months! A treadmill would have helped a lot at that time though...

Maybe..... though my gym is outdoors with trees to climb / do chin ups / do all sorts of abs, logs to do arm dips / jumps,..... 

Doing 12 meter indoor loops inside a house is impressive for 2 months!!!

one more point to note is on the weight of the user... I see some of the treadmills are pretty lightweight and "not as sturdy", if the user has a mass above 85kg, the treadmill might wear off or be damaged sooner than expected... this is just my opinion and i might be wrong...