beast

[Virtual Run] Kuala Lumpur Standard Chartered Marathon (KLSCM) 2020

For those who really want a FM challenge to end off your 2020, here's your chance!

https://www.kl-marathon.com/

Single submission only, which means you really need to run a full FM, HM, 10KM race.

Sign up is free, and entitlements are very cheap compared to SCSM - Finisher medal at RM20, T-shirt at RM45.

The catch? You have to use their KLSCM app to track your run, and if you order entitlements, shipping to Singapore is from RM155 onwards, which is very steep.

So who's in? 

thank you @beast...

yes, uncle sign-up...bib number slot with distance category yet..app not ready...

no commitment on merchandize

Full-Marathon.png

t-shirt.jpg

say only medal...

Payment.jpg

S$ x 0.33... what if add t-shirt...not worth it...Delivery fee

WTH Delivery fee is RM20???? for first 500gm?

from facebook...

https://t.co/MBMOMqAVEq?amp=1

sometimes, uncle got to use translation from bahasa melayu to english

Run at one go. No accumulation of distances is allowed. *we only allow one category per runner. 

The *app for KLSCM 2020 VR will be announced next week. Please wait for the announcement from us, thank you.

End of November...

no Strava integration. For running watch, only Garmin, Suunto, Apple Watch, Fitbit and Polar support. Brands other than those mentioned and those who want to use Strava must use another method, that is, after the run, have to download .gpx file and then upload to the SCKLM VR app. This is too complicated for people with no technical background or people who want an easy way

https://www.kl-marathon.com/virtual/faq/general-faq/

Note: Registrations will continue until 3 December, 4pm

There will be no specific cut-off times for each respective distance. Participants can complete their run anywhere outdoors, at a location of their choice, any time between 12.00am, 5 December and 11.59pm, 13 December 2020 (GMT+8).

Edited by kohpapa

wah, with Nov and Dec VIrtual Races...so closely...

to end 2020...uncle shall complete to fit into the schedule...SCSM [Grand Finale] VR and 2020 KLSCM VR:

SCSM Grand Finale VR Double Up Challenge [21K + 10K] on 28 Nov.

2020 KLSCM VR 42K (concurrently with *Lunar Run 2021 Virtual Ox Run 42.2K)...kill 2 birds with 1 Run....on 5 Dec after 12am.

VR6250152ef7b0aaab.jpg

another *Lunar Run 2021 Virtual Ox Run 46.88K on Dec 6 to complete Lunar Run 2021 Virtual Ox Run 88.88K

21K+10K+42.2K+46.68K = 120.08K...

"Want" "To" _ . _ "Huat" Challenge

siong but do'able lah!...😄

Edited by kohpapa
58 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

wah, with Nov and Dec VIrtual Races...so closely...

to end 2020...uncle shall complete to fit into the schedule...SCSM [Grand Finale] VR and 2020 KLSCM VR:

SCSM Grand Finale VR Double Up Challenge [21K + 10K] on 28 Nov.

2020 KLSCM VR 42K (concurrently with *Lunar Run 2021 Virtual Ox Run 42.2K)...kill 2 birds with 1 Run....on 5 Dec after 12am.

another *Lunar Run 2021 Virtual Ox Run 46.88K on Dec 6 to complete Lunar Run 2021 Virtual Ox Run 88.88K

21K+10K+42.2K+46.68K = 120.08K...

"Want" "To" _ . _ "Huat" Challenge

siong but do'able lah!...😄

Wait, what?

You are given 2 months till 31 Jan 2020 to complete your 88.88km for the Lunar Run 2021 Virtual Ox Run. There is really no need to do a 42.2K on one day and then 46.68K next day. Already say its an Ox run, so do it slow and steady please!

Also, if you are still collecting those useless VR badges, don't forget the double up challenge is independent of the individual categories, meaning you won't automatic get your double up challenge VR badge like previously. They have changed the rules already. So you need to run 21+10+21+10 to get all 3 of your VR budges.

On 11/20/2020 at 9:18 PM, beast said:

Wait, what?

You are given 2 months till 31 Jan 2020 to complete your 88.88km for the Lunar Run 2021 Virtual Ox Run. There is really no need to do a 42.2K on one day and then 46.68K next day. Already say its an Ox run, so do it slow and steady please!

Also, if you are still collecting those useless VR badges, don't forget the double up challenge is independent of the individual categories, meaning you won't automatic get your double up challenge VR badge like previously. They have changed the rules already. So you need to run 21+10+21+10 to get all 3 of your VR budges.

aiya @beast, uncle is not interested in SCSM [Grand Finale] ever since they announced, there is no Virtual Marathon Race  category...so disappointed...collect so many e-badges and thousand credits for what... 

look at 2020 KLSCMarathon...towards the end of the year 2020...a VR Edition...they give you a medal with 42K provided you complete in 1-day. That is uncle's choice of any Virtual Marathon Race. 1-day only just like 2020 London Marathon Virtual Race and other WMM races...

if not for the WTHuat delivery fee so steep for overseas addresses...uncle would have pre-Order the medal. But, uncle just want to complete 4th and 5th Virtual Marathon Race for 2020 in the span of 2 months (Nov and December).

Somemore, participating VR entry is considered as 2020 "participant" to KLSCM, and you will be given "early bird" if there will be in-place run in 2021...if covid-19 is free...hopefully..

Besides, uncle has to double-up the time to complete virtual runs...because...got to serve National Official Duty...on 2 weekends...Nov/Dec..Competition Selection for National Athletes who want to qualify for SEA Games 2021...

officiate4a544ddfabc20193.jpg

Anyway, 2020 KLSC Marathon FM Virtual Race Registration is FOC...Cost is Zero even if you DNF (9 out of 10 who start) or DNS (2 out of 3 who sign-up).

So, uncle has the confidence and decided to sign-up another 42-K Marathon VR under different email <another runner>...with Medal 

KLSCM-2020-VR-Full-Marathon.jpg

uncle's latest schedule Virtual Races (Nov/Dec)...

My-Schedule.jpg

Uncle shall be using garmin integrating to KLSCM VR app...Option 1.

from garmin upload .gpx file to JustRunLah! Connect...for Lunar Run 2021 Virtual Ox Run [88.88KM]

LunarRun2021-medal.jpg

As for SCSM [Grand Finale]...garmin... 😄

Already uncle has these medals from VR Medals Collection Series...

scsm-vr.jpg

so uncle has no need for more e-Badges...

what a year 2020 to end for uncle...Marathon Virtual Races and Challenges...with Medals.

Edited by kohpapa
1 hour ago, beast said:

I should be running the free HM. Don't think I can complete a self supported FM yet.

You certainly can of course, and I've done so in some past LSD's, but even I have to admit that I now find it bothersome.

Again, at the risk of drawing flak from the "hardcore" or "die-hard" runners out there who'd call me a wuss, I honestly prefer to have a secure, safe course (free of vehicles) to run on, and the convenience of having an aid station at least every 2kms (even if with just plain water, and no fancy drinks or snacks). Even if I have to pay a (reasonable) entry fee to support such logistics. You can only find these kind of things in an actual, not virtual  race.

Also, unlike perhaps in Singapore, I'm embarassed to say that many motorists here in my country are jerks, and if you try running here, you'll understand what I mean.

Whenever I run, whether short easy run, speed work or LSD I'm always careful, and utilize best safe running practices: (i.e. no earphones, run at the edge of the road away from vehicles and in the direction facing traffic [so you can see them and be prepared for anything], stop at intersections, wear visible clothing, and never run too hard/fast enough that you're not alert to any possible dangers etc.) and despite all that + years of experience running here, I've had too many close calls for comfort sometimes. 😅 😅 😅

2 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

Forgive me for saying this, but I think the organizers announcing a (full) marathon with just 2 weeks advance notice is a bit unreasonable, and may have caught some runners not doing the proper (marathon) mileage off guard (thinking there are no races anyway). 😓

I believe there are many out there who are training day in day out and is always ready for a FM... and probably it just takes them 2-4 weeks to prepare to complete the FM distance..  of course normal folks like me will not be able to do this a mid i will have to give this a go..

For those who signed up...VR starts from 12am 5/12/20...

SCKLM.jpg

A Guide and Tips for you...

KLSCM-VR-Guide.png

Uncle signed-up 2 FM Slots: 1 for Medal

KLSCM-2020-VR-Full-Marathonaf5223db3e27e

and 1 for Fun (backup and as well as bad weather)

shall be using Garmin Connect and sync with the App (done), tested with Practice Run 75KM (done) and on uncle's conclusive assessment:

1) KLSCM VR App is not Accurate and Reliable (especially if the hp battery runs low)...you simply cannot STOP...and meaning...the Time Resumes [by default]

2) Garmin Connect with Garmin Watch is to be the official one for all who want to be Ranked as Top 5 only.

3) Backup with all other Phone Apps (manual upload to website - to be announced)

so uncle's choice of backup Phone Apps is Strava

Since, hp power really "dry-up" battery very fast, so, uncle's Hydration Bag with Powerbank..charging both Garmin Watch and HP with Strava app...remained synced and connected [Garmin - Phone Connected)...so that Timing will be "updated" asap...Leaderboard shall highlight your position in ranking.

Wishes you all the best...according uncle's previous post...shall start after 12am on 5 December...[Slot for Medal]..and if possible 7 December...[Slot for Fun]...both Full Marathon...

For your info:

Medal.png

Incomplete or complete, you will still receive the merchandise purchased.

Edited by kohpapa
1 hour ago, kohpapa said:

Medal.png

Incomplete or complete, you will still receive the merchandise purchased.

So in theory, you can log 1km, upload it and you STILL get a 42km "finisher" medal... 😲

I know a lot of people here would know what I'm thinking, I'm just not going to say it anymore though... 

On 11/26/2020 at 2:00 PM, AutumnRunner said:

I believe there are many out there who are training day in day out and is always ready for a FM... 

IMHO, except for a few gifted people who can get away with this without any long term effects, it's not really recommended from a health persective. I've talked about this with a doctor friend specializing in Internal Medicine (who  also used to run ultras) and there has been a lot of data from the latest studies showing that the cumulative stress from too frequent extended endurance activity actually wrecks havoc on your cardiovascular system over time.

I have seen a few recent pictures of noted ultrarunner Dean Karnazes, and in my opinion, he seems much older (and worn out) that he actually is. It's his life of course, and if he's happy with it, it's none of my business. After all, in his book "Ultramarathon Man" he did write something to the effect that he didn't want to be in a prisitine body when he was buried, but as much as I respect his achievements as a runner, I don't want to be like him! 😅

Even professional athletes and elite runners have "off periods" for proper rest and recovery. This should all the more apply to us as ordinary mortals.

Speaking from experience though, how often have we made the mistake of being forced to take an off period because we pushed ourselves too hard and injured ourselves, or other equally important commitments in life such as work and family required us to give it our full attention right? Probably far more too often than we think! 🤣

Edited by RaijinFJ
4 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

So in theory, you can log 1km, upload it and you STILL get a 42km "finisher" medal... 😲

I know a lot of people here would know what I'm thinking, I'm just not going to say it anymore though... 

yes...because you have already purchased "your entitlement"...same like other Real Races...Qualification..failure to do so, you don't have a Qualifying Certificate...but all your entitlements are yours to keep.

Unless you happen to be a podium runner or this Qualification is important for 2021 Qualifying Entry like WWM...yes, failure to meet...

uncle took part in this one...

finisherbcd2ade69213d277.jpg

you can register free and get an e-badge...otherwise registered with Run for the Medal...

There is no time limit for the Run for the Medal or Run for the Love of Running tiers. However, runners must complete the full 26.2-mile distance in a single run activity during one calendar day and upload the activity to Strava.

Of course, motivation will be higher if you paid for the Medal with Run..

Statistically, almost 2/3 never seem to complete or finish...just to remind you..this is a marathon distance and not a multiple sessions of marathon challenges...

importantly it boils down to this...Race Honorably...

honor.png

will you betray your conscious...ethics...integrity..

even Virtual Race must be Raced Honorably...just like in the Real Run...agree?

not-finished.jpg

so far, this SCSM Grand Finale VR [Double Up Challenge]...9 out of 10...has not completed with less than a week to go...

So uncle suggests to all, Virtual Race slots can be More...one runner one account....can you have more than one account? surely yes...with another account...

So uncle registered 2 Full Marathon slots...Race Honorably...in case of Rain, Thundery Showers or because the mental and healthy state of uncle is "total" - better don't continue.. then Uncle would activate a Back up Slot - Run for Fun...stop and exit from the Run for Medal [First Choice]...yes, we can have more choices for Virtual Race...infinite registrations...FOC.

Just show results to all...demonstrate Race Honorably...Run for Medal...Run for Fun...if can have both sets of results...celebrate...otherwise, just complete Full Marathon Run in single activity with the best effort.

Make your Honorably Race Ethics - Registration dates are from 18 November to 4.00 pm, 3 December 2020...FOC...you are allowed to register more than ONE Slots

Edited by kohpapa

uncle fully agree...

klapp-not-stable.jpg

any running app will do...how to upload manually...

GPX Uploader link - https://app.klmarathon.district-technologies.com/

uploader.jpg

uploader1.jpg

uploader2.jpg

Practice with the KLSCM 2020 VR App...see Leaderboard for confirmation...🤔

Must Know -
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
https://www.kl-marathon.com/virtual/race-info/how-to-participate/

GENERAL FAQ
https://www.kl-marathon.com/virtual/faq/general-faq/

Edited by kohpapa

uncle has used both .MOVE. app and KLCSM 2020 VR App...these are uncle's assessment:

1) KLSCM 2020 VR App can be connected and syncd with Polar, Fitbit and Garmin. (+) .MOVE. has none of this. (-)

2) KLSCM 2020 VR App even though is not reliable simply just like .MOVE. developed by a local vendor. [even]

3) Hence, even if you do not really need to run with KLSCM 2020 VR App, it is perfectly ok. As long as you have Polar, Fitbit and Garmin watches...you don't really need to run with the Phone. You can sync and upload the data from the smart watches to the KLSCM 2020 VR App...and that was no problem at all. The leaderboard will be updated "with a little delay" but uncle finds it...100% updated (+). Unlike .MOVE., done manually (-).

4) The Practice (Run) is actually "Multiple Sessions Submission". So, everyone has every chance to practice, learn and feedback. Find alternative if they don't want to use the KLSCM 2020 VR App, they always have the option to bring their HP with App...They must also learn how to practice to upload manually. (+) Unlike .MOVE. app, there was never a chance to practice, and there was no option to update manually because..."only when Race starts, then Participant can upload." (-)

5) On the actual race (Dec 5 - 13), The Race (Run) will be "Single Session Submission" - meaning if participant "Stop" and "Submit" that will be considered as Single Session submission. Also if that is 1-day requirement, the Timer will be expected to stop at 24:00 Hour. There is no such feature in .MOVE. (-)

KLSCM 2020 VR App is able to provide both Multiple Sessions Submission and Single Session Submission, which is superior than SCSM VR [Double Bonus Challenge]. (+)

KLSCM 2020 VR App is able to have Marathon Distance event, which is just like other WWM Virtual Race, 1-day, 1-session. (+)

It is a Standard Chartered Race, not just any other race. and if this is a Real Race, this is also World Athletics Road Race Label standard, but because of Covid-19, social distancing is important.

Uncle must give Kudo to KLSCM 2020 VR for they have done what is "technological enabled" virtual race which includes single-session Marathon race, unlike SCSM [Grand Finale] VR...(+)

+ means positively...👍

Edited by kohpapa
1 hour ago, starfinder said:

Though I am not taking part, I hope they will not have same problems as MOVE app. It is a Standard Chartered Race, not just any other race.

The app has 2.2/5 stars at the moment. 

But MOVE app still beats it with 1.8/5 stars...

I will be using the GPX uploader for sure. 

Edited by beast
19 minutes ago, beast said:

The app has 2.2/5 stars at the moment. 

But MOVE app still beats it with 1.8/5 stars...

I will be using the GPX uploader for sure. 

good for you...

uncle will be on Garmin Connect...

.MOVE. app aiya...cannot connect with any other apps and yet get 1.8 out of 5 stars...compare apple to orange...

uncle has Tested/Verified in past week...

link3bc876b7d8a3585a.png

Strava shall be uncle's backup App on Phone...

Tips for why upload manually from Phone app can be better...

Strava-Advantage.jpg

if uncle uses Strava...uncle no need to run "too much virtually" unlike if use Garmin Connect...

If uncle must run an "honorable" race...be professional...Garmin Connect is the "Real" Run Timing... because it was announced that "Top 5 Runners" must be Garmin Connected... uncle must run with the ethics as a good sportsman, never yield to "short-cuts". 😃

Edited by kohpapa

thanks @ayukawa22 for the update on the Practice Run Leaderboard...Multiple Submissions...best wishes on your ultra run soon...

Registration ends 4pm on Dec 3...

The app will be changed to race mode from 5-13 Dec...

Multiple running activities or attempts (you can try again, and again) and select whichever fastest for submission

Do-Not-Submit.jpg

uncle shall be on from 5 dec to submit only the fastest [for Medal with Garmin Connect] for Slot 1 (Koh papa).

Another fastest [for Fun with strata] uploaded manually for Slot 2 (Papa Koh).

Papa-Koh.jpg

Of course, expect Uncle Papa Koh to be "faster to complete" with Strava Advantage vs Uncle Koh papa with Garmin Connect in ranking😁

Well, this shall be uncle's 4th Marathon Virtual Race for 2020....

yes, it was really very surprising that the KLSCM 2020 VR was announced to run this weekend just when SCSM [Grand Finale] ends this weekend...

Grand-Finale-double-bonus.jpg

Previous Marathon Virtual Races since Oct 31...1-day Session and 1-run Activity only...

1)

NYe37f9a280c7362ad.jpg

2)

diploma-abbott-11133.jpg

This one was done with a "technical" shut down of mobile phone due to data lost on flat battery...

battery-low.png

Recording STOP and did not RESUME @ 18.2KM during Sundown Hours...

Autumn-Marathon-Virtual-Racef7203f171546

So uncle REDO four hours later...7am - 3:45pm...Total Distance on that 1-day Session covered 18.2KM (defaulted) + 42.8KM (1-run activity to be captured Completed only for Autumn Marathon) = 60KM 😅

3) 7am - 3pm only...Registered FOC

STGR-Full-Marathon.jpg

currently in Top 10...wah got Prizes also...wearable trail running shorts and eatable nutritional bars...sibei shiok! 😀

STRG.jpg

finisher2ba3402950f0c7bb.png

Yes, paid $9 for the wooden medal as add-on.

Edited by kohpapa

Please note the KLSCM VR app will be in transition from Training to Race Mode, from 12.00am to 11.59pm, 4 December 2020 (GMT+8).

Race Mode will then be accessible from 12.00am, 5 December 2020 to 11.59pm, 13 December 2020 (GMT+8).

Remember to complete your distance and submit your record within the Race Mode period.

cancel.jpg

Virtual-Melbourne.jpg

Registrations for the 2020 Virtual Melbourne Marathon will close at 11:59pm Friday 11 Dec AEDT.

Virtual Melbourne Marathon 2020 -

https://melbournemarathon.com.au/virtual-melbourne-marathon/  Race Mode Start 00:01 Saturday 5th December (Australian Eastern Daylight Time) AEDT which is 2100 SG/MY Previous Day Friday 4th December. Total Paid - AUD 40.00 (Overseas Participant) with Medal.

This one 3km, 5km, 10km, 21.1km and 42.195km event is for "Wearable device syncs with App" only, with no manual upload.

Virtual Melbourne Marathon 2020 App Developer is the same as KLSCM 2020 VR (District). Currently counting down to less than 24 hours transition into Race Mode. However, Registration is still opened. You will need 8 digital code to complete your registration via email registration response, unlike e-bib entry from KLSCM 2020 VR.

Best Wishes to all for KLSCM 2020 VR soon. Just Complete your distance in 1-run Session, and choose the best effort.

As for uncle, 2 Virtual Races using same Garmin Connect .. "Huat" "Huat" Marathon VR with KLSCM 2020 and Virtual Melbourne Marathon 2020...

Yes, once your results are verified we will post out your medal. We will also post internationally if this is where you reside. Medal fulfillment will commence at the conclusion of the event.

2-medal.jpg

with 2 overseas medals 😀

Edited by kohpapa