lonewolf

The Straits Times Virtual Run 2020

Received an email that asks participants to select how they want to receive their entitlements: Either delivery at $12, or self-collection at SPH.

https://www.gevme.com/64979964/registration/order/form

Even though there are 6 weekends or 18 days to choose for your collection, 95% of the slots are already taken and this is only less than 12 hours after they send out the email. So I reckon many people still haven't choose their collection timing, because they haven't read the email, and will not be able to do so by tomorrow. They had also not announced this on their website or facebook page.

I wonder how many people did they allocate each day for collection, bearing in mind that there are close to 20K registered runners? Looking at how fast the slots were snapped up, I believe it is a small number. If they don't plan for more collection days, or if they are planning to force people who can't get a slot to accept delivery and pay $12, this looks like another disaster in the making.

Edited by beast
  • Confused 1
22 hours ago, beast said:

Received an email that asks participants to select how they want to receive their entitlements: Either delivery at $12, or self-collection at SPH.

Sorry side track a bit, I think on this aspect, I must give kudos to OCBC Cycle. OCBC decided to make it a free event and as long the registered cyclist completes the selected event, the entitlements are delivered right to the door step.

On 11/14/2020 at 1:21 AM, beast said:

95% of the slots are already taken and this is only less than 12 hours after they send out the email.

They had also not announced this on their website or facebook page.

I believe it is a small number.

If they don't plan for more collection days, or if they are planning to force people who can't get a slot to accept delivery and pay $12, this looks like another disaster in the making.

statistically, 2 out of 3 Virtual Runs will never complete...uncle had already speculated...shadow Coroprate Virtual Runners sign up...the rest were as "gifts" to schools and institutions paid by sponsors.. SPH has other Charity Funds and hence...they can always channel the free slots...

Infinitus Productions...so far...registeration via portal liv3ly.com...run must be with crappy .MOVE. app 

now compare with SCSM Virtual Club ...with Sport Heroes Connect [same as liv3ly.com]...all information plus all current Events and Future Events plus LeaderBoard...sync/integrate with major apps like Runkeeper, Garmin, Adidas Running [crappy .MOVE. app only]

even JustRunLah! connect Virtual Race platform for their clients is even better...simple to use register, what you must know, entitlements, submission via screen shots of any GPS data [apps on HP] or simply capture shots of participant start and end...just register Distance and Time...[without apps on HP]

3 hours ago, starfinder said:

Sorry side track a bit, I think on this aspect, I must give kudos to OCBC Cycle. OCBC decided to make it a free event and as long the registered cyclist completes the selected event, the entitlements are delivered right to the door step.

Covid-19 safety measures are built into Virtual Race registration...either the Registration has factored with [Free Delivery] or to be Paid Later... in this case STVR did not state this delivery via Self Collection or Participant Must Pay if they choose not to Self Collect. Imagine, what if Partipants are Overseas who supported the Event due to Past Loyalty.

SCSM [Grand Finale]...Self Collect, Otherwise, if you choose not to Self Collection but opt for delivery by Mail Service...yes, additional charge at local address SGD 5...a flat rate of SGD 25 for selected overseas address...

Infinitus Productions cannot compare to OCBC Cycle organiser, which they were once SCSM past Marathon Editions event organiser for years under their parent company...and as uncle had compared to Sundown Marathon 2020 with Infinitus Productions in other Forum thread...and also had the experience once working collaborating as sanctioned Technical Official with Infinitus Production on one of their multisports events...had always felt that they are very "raw and youthful" and very "local" event organiser which are never good enough to reach out to overseas [global]...Water Not Enough [Sundown Marathon 2019]...

from STVR FB, it seems that many upset present and loyal participants now realise...because of Covid-19...why a reputable organisation such as SPH can have such a crappy event organiser like Infinitus Productions...

stvr76b9986546b92f9e.jpg

ask - Bro, you want how many?
reply - do you have thousands, uncle very interested ...

response - <Silence....>

well uncle already had opinion based on frame of reference from Sundown Marathon 2020 forum thread...Appended with...If 2021 Sundown Marathon is going to be another Virtual Race by Infinitus Productions...will you be interested?...portal liv3ly.com...run must be with crappy .MOVE. app ....Terms and Conditions...Individuals and Teams...Challenges...No Refund...[missing info - self collection...if don't want...wt$12...]

Edited by kohpapa

I went into the system and found that slots that were unavailable previously can be booked now. Which means they managed to open up each slot to take in more people now. Good job for rectifying the issue.

14 hours ago, starfinder said:

OCBC got budget...they see organizing the event as a big branding event to market to cyclists, many of which are middle to upper class professionals that are their target audience. That said, SCSM entitlements also need to pay delivery fees if you opt for delivery to home... 

ST RUN... organized by SPH which is in a struggle to keep the printed media relevant and profitable...need to cut cost or pass on to the runners...

• Like 1
On 11/14/2020 at 1:21 AM, beast said:

Can someone please tell me what is in the entitlements that required you to pay $12 to ship to you locally? 

Isn't it just a tee-shirt and medal? Then it should be a small parcel. 

Shipping through Singpost would be max $6. I think the tracked package at $3 is probably do-able.

And given the probably volume that need to be shipped, there should have been an economics of scale and volume discount. So still don't understand why it need to cost $12.

21 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

Can someone please tell me what is in the entitlements that required you to pay $12 to ship to you locally? 

Isn't it just a tee-shirt and medal? Then it should be a small parcel. 

Shipping through Singpost would be max $6. I think the tracked package at $3 is probably do-able.

And given the probably volume that need to be shipped, there should have been an economics of scale and volume discount. So still don't understand why it need to cost $12.

I am under the assumption that "delivery" means door-to-door delivery. If not it should be more appropriately termed as "postage". Also, additional costs of manpower to manage the logistics to be shipped, which includes packing the entitlements into a parcel and proper labelling etc, are passed on to us.

That said, I agree that $12 is still a bit overpriced given that economics of scale would have driven the costs down and we should probably pay not more than $8.

SPH @ Toa Payoh is not considered a very centralized venue, so for those living in either end of the island (Jurong/Tampines), it would take more than an hour to reach there, and not forgetting the possible long queueing time. $12 vs 3 hours saved, some may chose to just pay instead. 

Hi there! I am a final year Singapore Polytechnic business student currently doing a project on the Straits Times Run and various ways we can approve on it. Seeing that most of you guys participated in this year's virtual run, is it possible that i get you guys to do a quick survey that takes less than 2mins? It will really help me and my team. 

https://forms.gle/a8jaKAcXg5SZk8Rx6

12 hours ago, Pls Help said:

Hi there! I am a final year Singapore Polytechnic business student currently doing a project on the Straits Times Run and various ways we can approve on it. Seeing that most of you guys participated in this year's virtual run, is it possible that i get you guys to do a quick survey that takes less than 2mins? It will really help me and my team. 

I have a few comments about the surveys.

#1 I do not see why it is necessary to ask for the name of the respondent. It should be optional.

#2 When you are crafting a survey, it is better to ask for a scaled response to your questions (usually 1 -5 or 1 - 6). Crafting your surveys like an examination is a definite put-off. No one want to answer so many open-ended questions in a survey. It is cumbersome and it actually makes digesting the results a nightmare. If you are asking so many open-ended questions, how are you even going to quantify the results?

#3 I did not join but would have love to give my view. I considered myself a fairly seasoned survey takers but I gave up after 3 questions because it is just too onerous. This is definitely not a 2 min survey. 

Overall, I think the questions asked are the expected one to ask but it was poorly worded and the quality of the survey is very poor. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

I have a few comments about the surveys.

#1 I do not see why it is necessary to ask for the name of the respondent. It should be optional.

#2 When you are crafting a survey, it is better to ask for a scaled response to your questions (usually 1 -5 or 1 - 6). Crafting your surveys like an examination is a definite put-off. No one want to answer so many open-ended questions in a survey. It is cumbersome and it actually makes digesting the results a nightmare. If you are asking so many open-ended questions, how are you even going to quantify the results?

#3 I did not join but would have love to give my view. I considered myself a fairly seasoned survey takers but I gave up after 3 questions because it is just too onerous. This is definitely not a 2 min survey. 

Overall, I think the questions asked are the expected one to ask but it was poorly worded and the quality of the survey is very poor. 

On the survey form itself, it did says 10-15 minutes though. So I guess the 2 minutes is clickbait for you to enter the survey. 

Agree with all your points. Just to add on: It would be helpful to guide the respondent to exactly what are the things you want to know out of the survey. Questions like: Can you describe your journey with the event? *

This is so open-ended that I have no idea what exactly you are asking so I just say "It was a lonely one."  

Good luck with tabulating the results.

6 hours ago, beast said:

Questions like: Can you describe your journey with the event? *

This is so open-ended that I have no idea what exactly you are asking so I just say "It was a lonely one."  

Good luck with tabulating the results.

Hahahahaha!!!

I didnt join the run, as I was scared off by app feedback. Hence didnt click on the survey... And not going to, given above feedback!!

Edited by sicklycat

20 hours ago, Pls Help said:

Thanks for the those who provided feedback for our survey. As we are students, we are still learning on how to conduct a proper feedback survey. We have revised said survey based on the given feedback and apologise for the "clickbait" in the prior post. We hope that you guys would continue helping us in gathering insights and more feedback from this year's Virtual Run. 

Revised survey: https://forms.gle/VrqRJm7G6T9AfTam7

Edited by Pls Help
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Pls Help said:

Thanks for the those who provided feedback for our survey. As we are students, we are still learning on how to conduct a proper feedback survey. We have revised said survey based on the given feedback and apologise for the "clickbait" in the prior post. We hope that you guys would continue helping us in gathering insights and more feedback from this year's Virtual Run. 

Much better survey! Done.

On 11/18/2020 at 6:24 PM, Pls Help said:

completed as well.