Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

The Straits Times Virtual Run 2020

11 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

Ok ok.... Thank you for the reminder, bro... now I understood... In other words, if this year I run 17.5KM, I will get the 2nd medal only, but next year got new design, so won't have opportunity to get the 3rd one...... If that's the case, then no choice...¬†ūü§£

I was thinking that completing 17.5KM at one-off run is tougher than completing 175KM with accumulative runs. Or maybe the rule doesn't require to finish 17.5KM at one-ff run??......

Ok, now I found the answer:

Yup exactly, so for one who would like to have the entire 3 medal series, have to do the 175km in 60days.... 

On 8/24/2020 at 10:18 PM, ZZIZZ said:

Shall we have competitive bidding? Because I didn't participate this race last year either, and looking for 1st medal too....¬†ūüėćūü§£ūü§£¬†

Haha you can have the first dips...

I tried contacting someone on Carousell... apparently he put it up after last year's run and nobody was interested in buying from him for $6... After this run was announced he had a number of offers and asked everyone to name their best price and the highest bidder will win...

13 minutes ago, beast said:

Haha you can have the first dips...

I tried contacting someone on Carousell... apparently he put it up after last year's run and nobody was interested in buying from him for $6... After this run was announced he had a number of offers and asked everyone to name their best price and the highest bidder will win...

wahh.... prices went up after 1 yr....

21 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Actually can sign up a few if you are really interested in more than one event..

Tried looking for the 1st medal but without any success. Since cannot complete all 3, i rather forgo instead.

I have the first medal. :spiteful:

I won't be joining. :nea:

And I won't be putting up my medal for sale either. :pardon:

Everyone is of course free to choose what they want to do with the race medals. Personally, I would never sell any of my race medals. That race medal is a result of my sweat and effort. No money can buy that.

If it was an extra medal that I happened to pick up at the race site (and I have picked up a few!) then I would have been happy to give it away to those who want to complete the set. And no, I do not have an extra 1st ST Run medal! :crazysmile:(I do have an extra 2019 SCSM HM though. Must have pick it up!) 

I understand the appeal of an amalgamated medal set but personally, the design for the ST Trilogy is kind of blend and generic. If it was a better set design, I would probably just grit it and join the 175km VR for the complete set. :whistle: 

12 hours ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

Tried looking for the 1st medal but without any success. Since cannot complete all 3, i rather forgo instead.

no prob... u can always join next yr when the new set of medals come by again, if it does....

7 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

Everyone is of course free to choose what they want to do with the race medals. Personally, I would never sell any of my race medals. That race medal is a result of my sweat and effort. No money can buy that.

If it was an extra medal that I happened to pick up at the race site (and I have picked up a few!) then I would have been happy to give it away to those who want to complete the set. And no, I do not have an extra 1st ST Run medal! :crazysmile:(I do have an extra 2019 SCSM HM though. Must have pick it up!) 

I understand the appeal of an amalgamated medal set but personally, the design for the ST Trilogy is kind of blend and generic. If it was a better set design, I would probably just grit it and join the 175km VR for the complete set. :whistle: 

indeed the medal trilogy has a very simple design without much details.. the only thing for collection is so that the backdrop of Sg landscape can be seen in full... that's about it... i am still considering too cause i don't plan to join too many virtual races where i don't feel the ambience at all...

11 hours ago, lonewolf said:

I felt it's a pity that you would not be joining 175km. Reason is 1) complete ST Trilogy 2) this event is not costly for 2 finisher medals (value for money) 3) 02 x "ELM" quality finisher medals being offered. 

Anyway 60 days to complete 175km by accumulating is achievable in my opinion. Just approach as weekly 30km exercise run? Anyway, will respect your decision at the end of the day.

11 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Indeed the medal trilogy has a very simple design without much details.. the only thing for collection is so that the backdrop of Sg landscape can be seen in full... that's about it... i am still considering too cause i don't plan to join too many virtual races where i don't feel the ambience at all...

Well all of us are not sure when will the current pandemic will end and virtual races are the way to go at the moment.

If you do not have the 1st medal, no point joining this event due to incomplete ST Trilogy in my opinion. I would recommend you to join 100 Miles (160 km) Challenge event. 

Support local event! This can be achieved easily by you over Saturday and Sunday 20 km each over 4 weeks. Not sure if you agree? Lolz...

12 hours ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

Support local event! This can be achieved easily by you over Saturday and Sunday 20 km each over 4 weeks. Not sure if you agree? Lolz...

wah... this is too siong for my poor legs though.... hahahh....

the finisher tee is...... feel like leaving this race out.... i think the 17.5km and 175km races receive the same finisher tee since there is no distance indicated...

On 8/27/2020 at 8:32 PM, SG RED DEVIL said:

I felt it's a pity that you would not be joining 175km. Reason is 1) complete ST Trilogy 2) this event is not costly for 2 finisher medals (value for money) 3) 02 x "ELM" quality finisher medals being offered. 

Anyway 60 days to complete 175km by accumulating is achievable in my opinion. Just approach as weekly 30km exercise run? Anyway, will respect your decision at the end of the day.

The only compelling reason for him is only the ELM quality of the other 2 medals. He is not concerned about joining the ST trilogy since the trilogy design doesn't appeal to him already, and in terms of cost, while $28 is not costly, it is still money after all.

I guess the biggest con that outweigh everything is the need to commit to finishing the 175km over the 60 days. Like I said for the craze ultra, not everyone can properly slot in a fixed schedule for runs over other commitments. A 1-time off run is easier to manage than a "3 times a week for 8 weeks" schedule. It may be easy for seasoned or regular runners, but not so much for casual runners.

On 8/27/2020 at 8:45 AM, lonewolf said:

Frankly speaking, if I were you, I would choose to sell the medal away if I get a very good price for it.

I can relate to the fact that every medal is the result of sweat and effort. But I reckon that this one isn't really something that you fought very hard for, or had extra sentimental value. Missing this from the collection won't be anything of a big loss.

You can try "testing the market" by putting up a high price and see if anyone is really that desperate to want it to complete the trilogy design.

I personally find the design of finisher shirt ok, at least compared to the last 2 years.

Guess I will sign up for the 17.5 km category. Price is too¬†reasonable to miss it¬†ūüėĄ

On 8/27/2020 at 8:32 PM, SG RED DEVIL said:

All valid points. It's not the cost or the distance. 

The biggest impediment is that I just do not like to run with my handphone. It's not something that I do and isn't something that I planned on doing.

It does not means that I will never do it. If the trilogy medal was a much better design, then I might.

57 minutes ago, RunWalkRun said:

Hmm need to use specific app to track the run (MOVE by LIV3LY). Having second thoughts now.

And the reviews all seem very bad based on previous collab with the Star Wars Virtual Run 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sg.pangu.run&hl=en_SG

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/move-by-liv3ly/id1442767850

Yes, I read about its bad reviews too. I was wondering why they don't allow us to use others such as runkeeper and strava.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, RunWalkRun said:

Hmm need to use specific app to track the run (MOVE by LIV3LY). Having second thoughts now.

And the reviews all seem very bad based on previous collab with the Star Wars Virtual Run 

Oh? Bad reviews means I should think twice too :hair:

[Edit] Thank you for sharing this. I read the feedback in the link, and decided I'll be healthier if I don't join this event (avoid my blood pressure going up due to app issues) :wave:

Edited by sicklycat

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, RunWalkRun said:

Wow... that is really bad...

Hope they consider switching tracking app... already losing 4 potential sign ups here....

Edited by beast

I just did a run with the handphone and the app... it is a bit disturbing that the app requires us to allow the app to access our location AT ALL TIMES, else the app will not work... unlike others which allow the app to access our location only when the app is in use... 

3 hours ago, beast said:

Has anyone tried linking their other running apps to the app? Does it function better?

https://newsfeed.liv3ly.com/guide.html

From what I read, my understanding is this LIV3LY MOVE app only syncs with Google Fit and Apple Health. All other running apps (Strava/ Garmin Connect/ etc), need to be synced to either of these 2 apps, before then syncing with LIV3LY MOVE.

In the earlier link with feedback, I also read issues syncing runs with Google Fit, and some feedback as recent as this month (Aug 2020).

(I have an Android phone, so didn't bother to read the feedback from Apple users.)

5 hours ago, beast said:

Has anyone tried linking their other running apps to the app? Does it function better?

https://newsfeed.liv3ly.com/guide.html

Yes, as what @sicklycat brought out, there are only 2 apps that you can link to, Google Fit and Apple Health. 

I don't have both and lazy to install these hence i just use the app itself for the run. This means that i have to run with a HP everytime....

Thanks for the reply guys...

Well that sucks... If I want to clock the same run for both SCSM and this, that probably means I have to open 2 running apps at the same time...

Edited by beast