Sign in to follow this  
AhXiong

Blood In Urine After 15km Run

I think I'm getting old.  After settle one problem (plantar fasciitis) another problem come.  Anyway, back to the main topic.  Lately I found that after I run more than 15km, when I urine it's come out with blood.  I know some might be asking is it because of sex disease or whatever 🤔, the thing is I only have sex with my wife 🤫 and recently got a medal for more being a regular blood donor which means I'm 100% clean 😇

One day I collect my bloodied urine and see a Dr.  The Dr himself is a runner.  He told me that this happens because my blood vessel at my urinal organ blow up and cause the blood mixed with my urine during a continuous run of more than 1 hour.  Several of his patients also face the same problem and unfortunately there's no fix. 

Does anyone face the same problem as mine? As any advise? 🙏

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, AhXiong said:

I know some might be asking is it because of sex disease or whatever 🤔

No. Of course not. 🤣

Let me just say that blood in a person's urine (the medical term is "hematuria") can also be due to a lot of other causes - kidney stones, cancer, trauma, etc. I'd say those persons who'd immediately jump to a conlusion that it was because of something naughty says a lot about them and their lifestyle. 🤣 -

Anyways, back to topic...

20 hours ago, AhXiong said:

One day I collect my bloodied urine and see a Dr.  The Dr himself is a runner.  He told me that this happens because my blood vessel at my urinal organ blow up and cause the blood mixed with my urine during a continuous run of more than 1 hour.  Several of his patients also face the same problem and unfortunately there's no fix. 

Does anyone face the same problem as mine? As any advise? 🙏

Foremost, you did the right thing and consulted your M.D. about it.

Excessively strenuous exercise can also cause hematuria (as diagnosed by your M.D).

Although I'm also a long distance runner and run the occasional ultra (whether organized race, or personal LSD), I haven't experienced this myself. I did know a few runners who went through that though, but these were in really long events (200km distance races or longer) that lasted over the course of several days. When they quit running those extreme distance ultras it usually stopped as well.

What is considered to be "excessive" varies from person to person though, and a 15-16km run is actually quite a distance in itself.

Aside from what your doctor already told you to do (and I'd say follow his advice) as a fellow runner, I'd suggest lowering your weekly mileage for now. After all, you just recovered from another injury (plantar fasciitis), so it would be a good idea to go easy on yourself for the time being! 🥴

Edited by RaijinFJ

Thanks Raijin!!! I'm glad that you never suspect is sexual problem 🤭 I still want to visit more Drs to seek more opinion.  Need to understand the root cause.  In the mean time, I'll seek your advise by decreasing my running volume 🙏

i encountered it once after 2017 or 2018 Standard chartered FM... did some research and it mentioned that if this bleeding persists, then need to see doctor, if it doesnt, then it's alright. I think there is no need to reduce the running volume too much, it can be just adhoc or one-off.

11 hours ago, AhXiong said:

Thanks Raijin!!! I'm glad that you never suspect is sexual problem 🤭 I still want to visit more Drs to seek more opinion.  Need to understand the root cause.  In the mean time, I'll seek your advise by decreasing my running volume 🙏

I respectfully advise caution on that.

Blood in the urine is not “normal”, and in my opinion, should always be evaluated by a doctor – even if it turns out to be nothing serious. That’s why I gave the poster a “thumbs up” for consulting his MD.

If it’s something benign, then it’s not time wasted.  You are healthy and well. You ought to be happy, because not many people can claim to be, right? 😅

14 hours ago, AhXiong said:

I still want to visit more Drs to seek more opinion.  Need to understand the root cause. 

Running is very harsh on the body. You're talking about forces 3 to 4 times of your total body weight crashing down on your body with every step, no matter how efficient your form and bio mechanics may be. You multiply those stresses over the entire distance and time you run, and its a miracle that we actually don't sustain any damage afterwards. For those runners who are disciples of the "barefoot or minimalist" school of thought, it might even be worse.

The human body is a resilient machine, but we also have to care for it and not abuse it too much 😇

If you still feel uneasy, perhaps you could get a referral from your GP doctor to see a urologist. 

By the way, I did a quick internet search and noted that 15-16 kms, more or less, is already the distance from Changi Airport to Aljunied Station. A half marathon on the other hand, is from Changi Airport all the way to Raffles Place. It’s funny we don’t seem to notice the kilometers pass when we’re training, but I tell you, if you ever make me walk all that way, I’m going to be among the first to howl and complain! LOL 😜

that is true.... running is a harsh sport on the joints especially hence i am sidelined for a while this year as well.... getting health is the most important... hence please don't take it for granted too...

health related matters is something that we should not take for granted and one should always be real careful... rest if needed...