Sign in to follow this  
AutumnRunner

What would future Races (post Covid) look like??

Another marathon race set to take place is Hamburg Marathon.... some of the things I mentioned in my 1st post will be implemented such as sanitation stations along the route...

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a32978042/hamburg-marathon-to-go-ahead-coronavirus/

Interesting to know that they want all participants to wear a scarf to cover their nose and mouth at the expo, start and end of race. And they want all elite to go for covid-19 test before they are allowed to join.. maybe cause elites will be more  closely packed to one another? 

On 6/25/2020 at 8:58 PM, starfinder said:

Objective opinion indeed. The organizers can only go ahead with the race upon 'approval' by the authorities, who must have deem is safe to do so. 

Yes!!! Indeed those races which continued were given the green light by the Authorities... so every individual can decide if u want to join...

UK leading the way with the government announcing that participation activities such as running races could start... interesting read to see if these could be the norm for future running.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a33381078/guidelines-mass-participation-races-covid/

They set quite a few rules before, during and after the race on what should and should not be done.

Something quite sad will be the human touch we have with "some" volunteers along the route or at drinks station (although most are half asleep due to helping out over the night) as bottled drinks will be self helped instead of the usual cups we are used to.

The social distancing part during the race is the most difficult. Can expect to have many starting waves if organiser really want to spread the people out.

The vanguard marathon by 1m2go will be going ahead this weekend. It is a small event. Going to be hot as well. Uk in the 30s at the mo

4 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

The vanguard marathon by 1m2go will be going ahead this weekend. It is a small event. Going to be hot as well. Uk in the 30s at the mo

Interesting if the Vanguard Marathon is to go ahead. I am looking forward to see how the organiser manages a few hundred participants for this event. Source at https://www.1m2go.co.uk/races/vanguard-way-marathon/

This is their Covid plan: https://www.1m2go.co.uk/covid-19/   

My issue will be with the volunteers wearing gloves and handling stuff. They will be untrained, so will tend to forget if they have touched the bin, push their hair to the side, etc. Have already seen this happening when just volunteering for clean ups both in Sg and UK. The volunteers will be working at their station for up to 8 hours. So still see a lot of opportunities for cross contamination. The organisation had open cups last year so 

Can only see BYOB as being one of the safest options here and allow volunteers to fill your cup / bottle from a bottle whilst you hold on to your own cup / bottle.

• We will apply social distancing of 1 metre at all times, and will ensure there is no possibility of contamination through or exchanged items such as race numbers, medals, foods or liquids.
  • Runners will be set off in waves of no more than 10 runners and at 1 minute intervals to ensure everyone remains socially distanced, or depending upon numbers, enough space will be provided so that the entire field can go at the same time, but with social distancing of 1m being observed.
  • Participants will be required to have no flu like symptoms. If they have any symptoms of Coronavirus infection on the day, they must advise Race Directors and not participate.
  • Suitable distance will be encouraged  for all participants and supporters to gather before and after the race, in a socially distanced manner.
  • Hand sanitiser stations will be available at a number of locations before and after the race.
  • All marshals will wear masks/face coverings. All Registration to take place outdoor.
  • Any queues will be socially distanced. Pinch-points and crowding will be controlled and avoided.
  • If required, additional toilets will be provided.
  • Race entry is ideally online, with minimal entries on the day.
  • Those dispensing numbers or race packs will wear gloves. Runners pick up race numbers at arm’s length – there will no physical contact.
  • Where possible runners must socially distance from each other at all times, and officials will carefully monitor on the day 
  • Runners must wear face coverings from the time that they arrive at the race venue until the start of the race, and after the race (from the finish line) until they leave the venue. Runners need to supply their own masks at their discretion.
  • When passing another runner, they must use some discretion overtaking other runners, and take care to remain socially distanced.
  • Runners must not block runners from passing (for example by running abreast)
  • All water/feed stations, marshals will wear gloves and face coverings.
  • At the finish, there will be an extended long finish funnel, and we will ensure all runners remain socially distanced.
  • Medals will be posted some time after the event. Any other mementos will be given out by gloved and masked volunteers, with social distancing and no contact.
  • Medical and first Aid will be on hand with Personal Protective Equipment to deal with any situations, in case of any incidents that may require treatment.

actually i know what u meant @Lady Ice... the volunteers are untrained and definitely the "hygiene" side will be just on the surface only and i usually just close one eye. In the past i already felt it this way, this time round when a virus is out in the wild, the hygiene part is much more crucial like never before. 

Some pointers are not easy to adhere to and race directors got to stick to it in order to ensure the group of runners in the race are as safe as possible...

• Participants will be required to have no flu like symptoms. If they have any symptoms of Coronavirus infection on the day, they must advise Race Directors and not participate. --> The security team must be strong enough to cordon off runners who turned up in the morning and have flu like symptoms. There might be some shoutings or screamings on reluctant participants.
  •  Runners will be set off in waves of no more than 10 runners and at 1 minute intervals to ensure everyone remains socially distanced, or depending upon numbers, enough space will be provided so that the entire field can go at the same time, but with social distancing of 1m being observed. --> Is this possible? For small events maybe, but large events unlikely to have 10 runners at 1-min interval. This translates to 600 runners in an hour only. For the latter part of this point, once the runners ran past the starting line, it will be chaos and runners will still be getting closer to one another.
  • Runners must wear face coverings from the time that they arrive at the race venue until the start of the race, and after the race (from the finish line) until they leave the venue. Runners need to supply their own masks at their discretion. --> This meant runners need to carry their own masks while running the race. Quite common now as I am running this way now, but i am sure there will be people whose masks dropped along the route.

I really hope the next race will be able to pull these off nicely....safely...

Moscow held a half marathon with 10k participants yesterday...

https://www.stabroeknews.com/2020/08/03/sports/runners-told-to-observe-social-distancing-in-moscow-half-marathon/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ydOMBcdUFY

It just look like any normal mass event run that we are used to seeing before the pandemic. Not sure why for one particular flag off the runners were wearing masks but for most parts of the run many were running without the masks.

So there, business/running as usual in Russia. 

1 hour ago, beast said:

Moscow held a half marathon with 10k participants yesterday...

https://www.stabroeknews.com/2020/08/03/sports/runners-told-to-observe-social-distancing-in-moscow-half-marathon/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ydOMBcdUFY

It just look like any normal mass event run that we are used to seeing before the pandemic. Not sure why for one particular flag off the runners were wearing masks but for most parts of the run many were running without the masks.

So there, business/running as usual in Russia. 

Wow, this is interesting... i have really mixed feeling when i see this race in youtube... i do not know if i should feel happy or afraid about it... 

From what i infer from the youtube video, runners were wearing masks when they are in the pen, and the elites were socially distanced (can't see the rest)... And right before the race starts, they can remove their masks and keep it somewhere, to be worn again when their race completed. 

Most were wearing their masks after that and even the volunteers at the end point were wearing full PPE..

other than the runners, i think the spectators turned out in large crowds too and i don't think the spectators were checked for high temp like the runners do....  

But the observations about Covid so far is that it is more likely to be caught indoors than outdoors due to the viral load being higher indoors

On 8/4/2020 at 6:55 AM, Lady Ice said:

Just looked at the Vanguard Marathon photos. Seems it was a pretty small turn out and although social distancing seems to have been observed frequently, it was not all the time: https://www.facebook.com/pg/www.vanguardway.org.uk/photos/?tab=album&album_id=769970539690798&ref=page_internal 

indeed... can see the runners posing for photo in a socially distanced manner... i think this is feasible mostly in smaller events... larger events will have some probs due to the space availability...

@Lady Ice I think that would be feasible for races with a small field of runners.

My thoughts on the matter are that it would be expensive to join, because there would be fewer runners shouldering the overhead costs, and not that profitable for organizers, so there won't be much incentive for them either--  gone are the days when races were organised purely for the love of sport, unlike in the old days... 😅 

Yes can run an ultra with a mask on in very cold climates. Have to so you don’t burn yr face. It also helps warm up the air you breath 

On 8/12/2020 at 6:01 PM, Lady Ice said:

Ha - then we all stick to virtual events and do run drawings 😀😎

We just have to be a little bit more patient for now. 😉

We are getting hit pretty bad over here lately with a lot of new infections, so even without a lockdown order I've been only running indoors (again) lately. 🤣  No runs over 60 min either- and to think I was doing so well with the hill repeats I was doing last month... but it will have to wait!

There will be plenty of time for that later, provided I get through all this in one piece! 😜

On 8/13/2020 at 6:05 PM, AutumnRunner said:

wow... running ultra marathon wearing a mask.... that is challenging....

20 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Yes can run an ultra with a mask on in very cold climates. Have to so you don’t burn yr face. It also helps warm up the air you breath 

Even without the cold, I'd have a buff mask & cap with flaps to ward off some of the blistering noontime sun, because you'd be on the course for so long on an ultra.

I rarely do them nowadays though, because for average folks like me, training (and proper recovery) for them leaves little else for any other running/training... 😅

On 8/15/2020 at 9:34 AM, RaijinFJ said:

Even without the cold, I'd have a buff mask & cap with flaps to ward off some of the blistering noontime sun, because you'd be on the course for so long on an ultra.

I rarely do them nowadays though, because for average folks like me, training (and proper recovery) for them leaves little else for any other running/training... 😅

i seen the cap with flaps before.... and i think it is necessary cause of the long hours under the sun... sunblock might not be adequate....

Even if it's SPF 100+,  & 4 star UVA rated, the majority of dematologists say sunblock's only good for 2 hrs. Even if you don't burn, the damage will show up eventually.

I never reapply though 😜 Its just too stickly, stinky, awful and tedious (and I'm hardheaded). That's why I love night runs, and for races in hot climates like ours, gun time is usually in the really early hours of the morning to beat the sun.

By the way, did anyone experience problems with their GPS today? Mine went a bit crazy earlier but eventually measured the distance right at the end of the run ( I was on a pre-measured course and I kept track of the laps manually.) I heard there was some sort of solar flare or anomaly with the Earth's magnetic field going on, and its affecting sattelites. 😯

Posted (edited)

uncle has MIA for almost 3 months...only here to announce on SCSM 2020 latest update... disappointed with an alternative running platform with SCSM Virtual Club, but pending on further updates if SCSM 2020 is going to have Virtual Run or Elite-only Run or none.

uncle being in traditionalist run camp (run must be experienced, run hard, run long, with a training plan) sum up for future races (until WHO announced Covid-19 Free, we can go back as Normal)..

hybid run - experience (Real) vs immersion (VR), day vs night...home-based vs remote...official route vs design your own route......be responsible for your own waste (go green)

being adaptable is not just about going digital, embrace flexibility with technology...sports event managementapps - which act as "official" - registration, Q&A, race marshal....and...."crew" for hospitality, delivery of nutrition and hydration...location on nearest place for washroom...or even checkpoint...QR Scan...again if there is no official route, then there is no road congestion (no complains)...who needs event management officials and crews (just bots/apps)...lol....really cut-off this layer of support...Ironman Asia (simply virtual entity)....

trend going forward, especially as Singapore has invested heavily in its broadband capabilities...say 5G technology  - human-to-human interactions are important...technology is still not at the level where it can provide “more high-touch ability to interact, to do these elements”...immersive experience become reality...running side-by-side with other "runners" in VR...seen that in futuristic movies... 

Be ready to change - “Be creative, and be open-minded, consider ways that businesses can adapt or be reinvented to pivot into new markets and products"...business model for events such as run must change...Singapore Tourism Board’s chief executive Keith Tan said that COVID-19 has compelled tourism players to quickly offer virtual experiences - something they did in three months that would have taken them 10 years...a year ago, reflect on what we have come to this forum - preparation for SCSM race...ready for Newton Run (16km/32km)...training plan... 

Reimagine the way you deliver your product (SCSM 2020 Virtual Club), reimagine the way you create experiences that appeal to people, maybe (be) minded to have smaller groups (or) much more concerned about health and safety and wellness (because COVID-19 pandemic is going to be around longer)...

in the last 3 months...workplace has also taken great change..everyone has become more "sanitized"...clean and de-cluttering...space...well who needs office actually, work from home...WFH

Work-Life Balance...lol...you can also do your run during WFH...day and night with treadmills...and earn Virtual run points...be challenged to be on the LeaderBoard of local and internation Virtual Clubs...

Why not, be a traditional and yet go Virtual...have fun of flexibility..because options are unlimited...

Agree to Disagree, Disagree to Agree...expressing genuine opinions or sharing from secondary sources...importantly is do what you say - Do the Run (real or virtual)...share your experiences...

Convid-19 is going to be around for a little longer..going to be 1 year-old soon...2nd year 2021...already some spring marathons have declared "cancelled"...

lastly, for @Lady Ice, if you are reading this, given that if most or almost all run events go virtual, how then is your message Keep Your Race Clean and Green going to be like...your Team, just like Ironman Asia, can be Virtual Entity...because Race is now Virtual..

Edited by kohpapa

On 8/21/2020 at 5:15 PM, RaijinFJ said:

Even if it's SPF 100+,  & 4 star UVA rated, the majority of dematologists say sunblock's only good for 2 hrs. Even if you don't burn, the damage will show up eventually.

I never reapply though 😜 Its just too stickly, stinky, awful and tedious (and I'm hardheaded). That's why I love night runs, and for races in hot climates like ours, gun time is usually in the really early hours of the morning to beat the sun.

By the way, did anyone experience problems with their GPS today? Mine went a bit crazy earlier but eventually measured the distance right at the end of the run ( I was on a pre-measured course and I kept track of the laps manually.) I heard there was some sort of solar flare or anomaly with the Earth's magnetic field going on, and its affecting sattelites. 😯

yup.... even with sunblock and the cap with flaps, it will not fully protect one from the glaring sun.... i have witnessed for a few years how the ultra runners of Craze Ultra is managing under the hot sun.... very very challenging...

Uncle @kohpapa - have already been doing much virtual ;) The clean green message is still there and will always be there.

Am a volunteer for our natural world and will do what can only hope more of you will join me in the call to integrate better with our natural world.

Hope, Peace and Love

1 hour ago, Lady Ice said:

Uncle @kohpapa - have already been doing much virtual ;) The clean green message is still there and will always be there.

Am a volunteer for our natural world and will do what can only hope more of you will join me in the call to integrate better with our natural world.

Hope, Peace and Love

yup.... a very good example set for us to follow....😀

• Like 1