Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AutumnRunner

What would future Races (post Covid) look like??

Recommended Posts

Has anyone thought about what Future Races will be like? What would the main differences be? I have thought of a few possibilities and let us all let our imagination run wild and discuss a bit on the "what ifs" and how to tackle them. 

As i write them down, i can feel that there is more cost possibly for the organisers. Let's hope my so-called "new norm" will not really be the full fledged new norm but some might be quite good such as the social distancing in the start pen.

1. Number of participants cut by half - This could be a likely situation where the races cannot hold as many runners as they previously had if they want to complete the race within the same stipulated time as per pre-covid. 

2. More security needed - Besides the usual bib checking, they now need to monitor temperature as well. Organisers in future might need to purchase the temperature screening machine to detect runners with high temperature early before they get into the starting pen.

3. Sanitisers along the route at aid stations - This could be the new norm where after runners can voluntarily sanitise their hands after drinking from the disposable cup from volunteers

4. Bring your own hydration - This is to counter item 2 above where if we were to bring our own hydration, there is less contact with volunteers and there would not be a need to sanitise your hands. 

5. More waves to be created - Even with the number of runners cut, i would foresee more waves to keep the possibility of runners running close together to the minimum. More waves means more time for road closures if organisers want to keep to the same number of runners pre-covid.

6, Volunteers all wearing masks - this is mandatory in Japan races but not in Singapore hence this might be the new normal.

7. All entitlements will be pre-packed including the food and drinks after a race to avoid frequent contact with volunteers over each and every item.

8. 1-metre social distance between each runner IN THE starting pen

9. More cleaners on-site to clean and sanitise the mobile toilets after every 5 usages.

10. Spectators at the race precinct have to be screened as well before allowing them to wait for their loved ones at the end point.

11. Fees getting higher due to items 2, 3, 6, 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think holding a race is practical until at least next year when a vaccine is commercialized.

Imagine the public's uproar and reaction if a mass event is given the green light before a vaccine is available. 

Some may become the new norm when a mass event can finally take place, like #3 ,4, 5 and maybe 7.

Some are simply not practical (especially #8 and 9) and it just seems like you threw them in without giving much thoughts to them. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

1 hour ago, beast said:

I don't think holding a race is practical until at least next year when a vaccine is commercialized.

Imagine the public's uproar and reaction if a mass event is given the green light before a vaccine is available. 

Some may become the new norm when a mass event can finally take place, like #3 ,4, 5 and maybe 7.

Some are simply not practical (especially #8 and 9) and it just seems like you threw them in without giving much thoughts to them. 

 

Did i say holding a race NOW?? I was saying FUTURE RACES post-covid.... 

Why would i throw them in without giving much thoughts? Did you even think about it at all? At least give reasons why they are not practical. If you are not contributing, please just don't comment at all. Thank you.

I noticed that you had been picking on me a lot especially on my comments, please stop all these as we are creating a friendly forum for runners to come in and relax. Not to criticise without valuable feedback. 

PM me instead and I am sure there are some misunderstanding. Let's keep this forum open to all for the actual topic instead. Thank you.

Edited by AutumnRunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

 

Did i say holding a race NOW?? I was saying FUTURE RACES post-covid.... 

Why would i throw them in without giving much thoughts? Did you even think about it at all? At least give reasons why they are not practical. If you are not contributing, please just don't comment at all. Thank you.

I noticed that you had been picking on me a lot especially on my comments, please stop all these as we are creating a friendly forum for runners to come in and relax. Not to criticise without valuable feedback. 

PM me instead and I am sure there are some misunderstanding. Let's keep this forum open to all for the actual topic instead. Thank you.

Chill bro. I think you are over-sensitive over my comments and certainly I did not mean to make anything come across anything as harsh or rude.

And I am not interested to resolving this over PM as I do not like to be called out like this and make peace privately.

First, let's break down my comments, shall we?

2 hours ago, beast said:

I don't think holding a race is practical until at least next year when a vaccine is commercialized.

Imagine the public's uproar and reaction if a mass event is given the green light before a vaccine is available. 

Some may become the new norm when a mass event can finally take place, like #3 ,4, 5 and maybe 7.

Some are simply not practical (especially #8 and 9) and it just seems like you threw them in without giving much thoughts to them. 

 

I don't think the first 2 lines were criticizing you in any way. If anything, it should be interpreted as me agreeing that no runs will be held until post covid, and not as me criticizing you about suggesting holding runs now, if that was how you looked at them.

The 3rd line was agreeing with some of your points. I believe I do not need to say things like "great points!" or "well done!", do I?

Next, elaboration about my 4th line about why some of your points are not practical, since you asked and can't figure out:

#8 - 1-metre social distance between each runner IN THE starting pen
Assuming a running event with 5K runners, and to make it simple, let's say we have 10 waves each with 500 runners. 
To make 1 metre social distancing possible, this means that the pen needs to be 500 metres x 500 metres? Any idea how big the pen needs to be? Give you an idea - A soccer field is 120 metres x 90 metres wide. 

#9 - More cleaners on-site to clean and sanitise the mobile toilets after every 5 usages.
I am sure you have been to events where mobile toilets are limited and lines of more than 10 lined up outside each cubicle. You really want cleaners to stop people from using them every 5 usage to clean and sanitise? How long do you think each cleaner needs to take to thoroughly clean and and sanitise the cubicle? 10 minutes? So a line of 10 people will need to wait more than 30 minutes? And why 5 usage and not 1? Is the alternate solution to hire more mobile toilets and cleaners then? How much mobile toilets and cleaners is enough for a run like 2XU vs Standard chartered? And cleaners will have to be activated when the toilets are open till they are locked up. Any idea how much that will cost in manpower hours? I can safely tell you no race organizers will do this unless a law is passed down that mobile toilets need to be cleaned thoroughly, which you can already guess what is the chance of that happening.

Last but not least, I know I am not the only one who picks on you on this forum (I shall refrain from naming any names, but I am sure you know who else) so please don't only single me out like this. Again, I will not say on behalf of others except myself only, but there are many times that I point out the things you say, be it here or on your blog, not because I enjoy single you out or to cyberbully you, but simply because they just didn't make sense to me or to prevent misinformation on your end to be conveyed to others. I view myself as the "loving critic" but I guess you don't see it that way.

Since you think I am picking you, I will make it a point to refrain from anything you comment in this forum from now on. Maybe let someone else be your "loving critic" instead.

Peace out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is great @beast... I like peace!!! 

I am slowing down my training I have nothing to train for at the moment as well... I take this time to really spend time with my family. Once I take running out of my equation, I suddenly feel there is so much time available. Haaa...

Covid will be with us, even if it is to stay with us for long, I am sure we as runners will be able to cope with whatever changes that will come in races... no matter how much changes there are, even with all of the above, we will still survive and work through all these with the organisers..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for jumping in, just want to give my 2 cents.

I think it is good to share ideas and and feedback. Just keep an open mind. In corporate life, sometimes an illogical idea being brought up actually led to a workable suggestion from another.

Any forums, not just this, needs people like both of you contributing ideas and comments, or else the forum will turn really silent.

For this CB, I actually did more runs than pre-covid 19. Simply because I am working from home and have more time to do the runs in late afternoon like 5.30 pm, rather than after usual work time beyond 7 pm. And I am doing virtual runs. Somehow feel the need to have a medal after completion. LOL.

Whatever the case, let us keep the ideas and conversation going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as there aren't vaccine yet, I can see the Race Organizer making it rapid test or swab test(if by then lab testing capability has increased to cater more testing) compulsory for those entering the race venue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Arvin Tunas said:

As long as there aren't vaccine yet, I can see the Race Organizer making it rapid test or swab test(if by then lab testing capability has increased to cater more testing) compulsory for those entering the race venue. 

North Dakota marathon could be first U.S. marathon since start of COVID-19

source: https://runningmagazine.ca/sections/runs-races/north-dakota-marathon-could-be-first-u-s-marathon-since-start-of-covid-19/

image.png.9fa55bf5e6c72664732bdcc98b6e0918.png

Looks like we have the Fargo Marathon (held in North Dakota) to be the 1st (probably in the world) to hold a Full Marathon Distance race after the pandemic paralyses the running world. I really hope they do a real good job in all the screening, social distancing or whatever cleaning methods they require to get this contained. Let's see what will be the precautions their race will be providing to help in a safer race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, starfinder said:

Sorry for jumping in, just want to give my 2 cents.

I think it is good to share ideas and and feedback. Just keep an open mind. In corporate life, sometimes an illogical idea being brought up actually led to a workable suggestion from another.

Any forums, not just this, needs people like both of you contributing ideas and comments, or else the forum will turn really silent.

For this CB, I actually did more runs than pre-covid 19. Simply because I am working from home and have more time to do the runs in late afternoon like 5.30 pm, rather than after usual work time beyond 7 pm. And I am doing virtual runs. Somehow feel the need to have a medal after completion. LOL.

Whatever the case, let us keep the ideas and conversation going.

That's good starfinder... as long as it doesn't stop you from exercising more, i think you have at least made the best out of this period as much as possible... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arvin Tunas said:

As long as there aren't vaccine yet, I can see the Race Organizer making it rapid test or swab test(if by then lab testing capability has increased to cater more testing) compulsory for those entering the race venue. 

Right now, Singapore can only do swab tests at a rate of 8,000 in a day, with the aim of hoping to reach 40,000 tests per days in a few months.

There is no way any race organizers would make all their runners to do swab tests. Imagine the time and cost needed to implement this for a race!

The most they would probably do is to have thermal scanners and disallow runners with very high temperature into the race venue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, starfinder said:

Sorry for jumping in, just want to give my 2 cents.

I think it is good to share ideas and and feedback. Just keep an open mind. In corporate life, sometimes an illogical idea being brought up actually led to a workable suggestion from another.

Any forums, not just this, needs people like both of you contributing ideas and comments, or else the forum will turn really silent.

For this CB, I actually did more runs than pre-covid 19. Simply because I am working from home and have more time to do the runs in late afternoon like 5.30 pm, rather than after usual work time beyond 7 pm. And I am doing virtual runs. Somehow feel the need to have a medal after completion. LOL.

Whatever the case, let us keep the ideas and conversation going.

Yah I guess I would probably work on the tone of my words. And you are right, some discussion is better than a dead forum.

Like you, I have been running more around my neighbourhood as well since working from home. And maybe I should try out virtual runs too. But the raining season is here so I guess it will make it harder to run for the next 1 to 2 weeks....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yea, same as my pointers 2 and 10 above... i think temp screening could be the new norm in future... swabbing takes too much cost, effort and time to do...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beast said:

Right now, Singapore can only do swab tests at a rate of 8,000 in a day, with the aim of hoping to reach 40,000 tests per days in a few months.

There is no way any race organizers would make all their runners to do swab tests. Imagine the time and cost needed to implement this for a race!

The most they would probably do is to have thermal scanners and disallow runners with very high temperature into the race venue.

As I wrote, the swab test requirement can only be impose once the testing infrastructure has increased, the pricing should be reduced by then also. We can't use time and cost structure of precovid situation in current environment.  

Temperature screening is a standard practice by now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Who would have known that the world would have to (temporarily) change so much in just a few months?
I was actually quite surprised that runners there in SG, well… at least those on this forum, were able to accept it so easily. IIRC, the general consensus here even back in March was that most of you guys had already written off the rest of 2020.

It wasn’t the same for me though.

Back in Jan-Feb I was hoping to do SDM in May. Even when the WHO already declared it a pandemic, I was still hoping it would be possible to do a major IAAF marathon in November (and possibly train for a new PR for me), but now that half the year’s almost over, and with the plague worsening and accelerating, I can really see it’s not possible. Conditions in a race event are simply just too dangerous, no matter what precautions they take.

 

I’ve posted this before, but I’ll restate my example of the case of the Liberty Parade in the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/philadelphia-threw-wwi-parade-gave-thousands-onlookers-flu-180970372/

1751876240_liberty-bond-parade1918.jpg.379e96d546afec35e7b42ffbfa567f2f.jpg

Look closely at the picture. It may not be a marathon, but conditions are the same.  Per the article:

Quote

Within 72 hours of the parade, every bed in Philadelphia’s 31 hospitals was filled. In the week ending October 5, some 2600 people in Philadelphia had died from the flu or its complications. A week later, that number rose to more than 4,500.”

 

Quote

Morgues and undertakers could not keep pace with demand. Grieving families had to bury their own dead. Casket prices skyrocketed. The phrase `bodies stacked like cordwood’ became a common refrain. And news rumors soon spread that the…  had unleashed the epidemic

Sound familiar?

Please don’t misunderstand. As a runner, I empathize with your pain and restlessness too. I have been running for over half my life already, but we have to try to be more patient on this -take note I’m trying to swallow this piece of advice myself. 😅

The virus is still in our midst, and we are no better off from the first quarter of the year than now. In fact, it’s worse. The only silver lining we have on this matter is that in these past 6 months time has been spent researching a vaccine, and the medical community is learning more and more about the nature of the disease each passing day. Even discovering what doesn’t work is a step in the right direction.  

In the meantime, we just have to count our blessings. Despite everything, we all seem to be fine for now, and are even able to run.  So far so good right? 😉 

Edited by RaijinFJ
Typos. Photo may be subject to copyright. Sourced from quoted link to webpage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

Please don’t misunderstand. As a runner, I empathize with your pain and restlessness too. I have been running for over half my life already, but we have to try to be more patient on this -take note I’m trying to swallow this piece of advice myself. 😅

The virus is still in our midst, and we are no better off from the first quarter of the year than now. In fact, it’s worse. The only silver lining we have on this matter is that in these past 6 months time has been spent researching a vaccine, and the medical community is learning more and more about the nature of the disease each passing day. Even discovering what doesn’t work is a step in the right direction.  

For now, we just have to count our blessings. Despite everything, we all seem to be fine for now, and are even able to run.  So far so good right? 😉 

Agree that health is really important... and we should really be glad that health is something that really cannot be bought... maybe i can say that i have not given up hope that a vaccine can be found soon and  with assumptions thatby end of the year, the virus can be contained and without further spreading with the vaccine easily and cheaply obtainable by many. With these assumptions in mind plus the additional precautions put in by the organisers to further protect the safety of runners in a race....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Arvin Tunas said:

As I wrote, the swab test requirement can only be impose once the testing infrastructure has increased, the pricing should be reduced by then also. We can't use time and cost structure of precovid situation in current environment.  

Temperature screening is a standard practice by now.

 

Swab test is manual right now and test results is not instantaneous. I believe that the time for the testing infrastructure to be improved by leaps and bounds (cut manual testing and have results instantly), a vaccine would have been readily available. 

I still don't think a mass running event would be held before a vaccine is available, but I am no scientist and maybe a foolproof screening might have been invented before the vaccine, and we can all run safely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

Who would have known that the world would have to (temporarily) change so much in just a few months?
I was actually quite surprised that runners there in SG, well… at least those on this forum, were able to accept it so easily. IIRC, the general consensus here even back in March was that most of you guys had already written off the rest of 2020.

It wasn’t the same for me though.

Back in Jan-Feb I was hoping to do SDM in May. Even when the WHO already declared it a pandemic, I was still hoping it would be possible to do a major IAAF marathon in November (and possibly train for a new PR for me), but now that half the year’s almost over, and with the plague worsening and accelerating, I can really see it’s not possible. Conditions in a race event are simply just too dangerous, no matter what precautions they take.

Not sure how the others are taking it, but It is still the same for me since March - No more joining a mass run till a vaccine is available. Even with 0 cases and strict temperature screening and safety precautions taking place, I will not bother to take the risk. Runs and streaks come and go...I can go without it for 1-2 years...personal health and responsibilities to families should take priority above a PB or finisher medal/shirt.

I have written off 2020, and likely the first half of 2021 too. 

Edited by beast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, beast said:

 Runs and streaks come and go...I can go without it for 1-2 years...personal health and responsibilities to families should take priority above a PB or finisher medal/shirt.

Agree with your comments!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yup... safety and health is most important... i still remember that a couple of months ago when many people work from home, the PCN is swarmed with people who walks, fast walks, slow run and runs.... i think the people exercising in the PCN suddenly increases 2-3 times... Upon seeing the crowd, i start away head out of the PCN and proceed to a secluded construction area and run loops there with stray dogs. These days i cut down my running time and if i run, i will find odd hours too. 

Anyway, right now there are still a few local races that might continue in 2020 as they have not "surrender" to the virus as of now. Even when it states that the race will continue, will you race??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

Anyway, right now there are still a few local races that might continue in 2020 as they have not "surrender" to the virus as of now. Even when it states that the race will continue, will you race??

I have 2 more races - Zoo Run and Ground Zero. This year is the last race for Zoo Run and Ground Zero Run doesn't happen every year.

So if they proceed with the runs, I would go head with them too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, starfinder said:

I have 2 more races - Zoo Run and Ground Zero. This year is the last race for Zoo Run and Ground Zero Run doesn't happen every year.

So if they proceed with the runs, I would go head with them too.

nice.... i am keen to know which is the 1st race to be held in Sg this year and many eyes will definitely be on them to pull off a good one and set precedence to other races, maybe...

 

SCSM is another local big race where i believe the organiser is very busy now to plan for the "new norm" of races....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, starfinder said:

I have 2 more races - Zoo Run and Ground Zero. This year is the last race for Zoo Run and Ground Zero Run doesn't happen every year.

So if they proceed with the runs, I would go head with them too.

I could totally understand the disappointment of not having to run at these events. 

But for the sake of well being of everyone, I hope race organizers don't even think about proceeding with them, even with any promises of the strictest of checks and safety precautions.

Everyone should take this present situation seriously and now is really not the time to think about organizing or participating in races anymore until the situation dies down. If by any chance any running event is really given the green light to proceed, and a mass outbreak happens during the event, the disastrous consequence to the economy and people's livelihood is unimaginable.

For the love of God, I hope that doesn't happen just because of a selfish group of people who wants to run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beast said:

I could totally understand the disappointment of not having to run at these events. 

But for the sake of well being of everyone, I hope race organizers don't even think about proceeding with them, even with any promises of the strictest of checks and safety precautions.

Everyone should take this present situation seriously and now is really not the time to think about organizing or participating in races anymore until the situation dies down. If by any chance any running event is really given the green light to proceed, and a mass outbreak happens during the event, the disastrous consequence to the economy and people's livelihood is unimaginable.

For the love of God, I hope that doesn't happen just because of a selfish group of people who wants to run.

This is interesting.... and it brings me to the next discussion topic... 

IF a race were to be held before a vaccine is found or situation gets stable (actually what is stable, assume 0 cases locally), and as what Beast said, an outbreak happens, who should bear the greatest responsibility? The Organiser or the runners who took part?

Chicken and egg issue to me, cause if organisers want a race to happen but no runners register, they cant host it. If runners want to run but no organisers want to organise, then there will be no race as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Chicken and egg issue to me, cause if organisers want a race to happen but no runners register, they cant host it. If runners want to run but no organisers want to organise, then there will be no race as well. 

Objective opinion indeed. The organizers can only go ahead with the race upon 'approval' by the authorities, who must have deem is safe to do so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...