Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lady Ice

Gold Coast Marathon Virtual (July)

Recommended Posts

One major hitch though. After registering, you'll have to download an app to your phone to participate.

I never use my phone GPS to log my runs, I prefer using a GPS watch.. My watches are old models though (but still going strong, so why replace right?)and the software may not be compatible with Runkeeper 😅.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2020 at 11:42 AM, RaijinFJ said:

One major hitch though. After registering, you'll have to download an app to your phone to participate.

I never use my phone GPS to log my runs, I prefer using a GPS watch.. My watches are old models though (but still going strong, so why replace right?)and the software may not be compatible with Runkeeper 😅.

 

It seems to indicate you can use your GPS watch and then sync with your phone to upload into ASICS RunKeeper. Maybe @ZZIZZ can advise?

image.thumb.png.fa0cd760353d92ecf306c9fa1eda9479.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2020 at 7:15 AM, Lady Ice said:

It seems to indicate you can use your GPS watch and then sync with your phone to upload into ASICS RunKeeper. Maybe @ZZIZZ can advise?

image.thumb.png.fa0cd760353d92ecf306c9fa1eda9479.png

I've sent an email to Runkkeper, none of my watches will work, even my two Asics models. 😅 And to think Runkeeper was bought by Asics right?

My GPS watch batteries are still going strong and function well, but they just don't support the software anymore. Unfortunately, the corporate model for manufacturing is now "Planned Obsolence". 🙄 They stop making updates/compatibility patches for old models, so the consumer will be "forced" to buy new models every 3-4 years. 😤

From my viewpoint, its not just ecologically unsound to have to retire or replace an old, but perfectly good piece of equipment, it's a wasteful way to spend money too.

Edited by RaijinFJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree that would be a waste. Let us know how Runkeeper respond. It's a new world and Asics needs to be on top of waste reduction.

It's in their CSR for reduced carbon emissions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welll it was just 2 short paragraphs! More to the tune of: "Sorry, your Asics AG01 is not compatible with Runkeeper"... thanks for writing etc. etc... 😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2020 at 12:33 PM, RaijinFJ said:

Welll it was just 2 short paragraphs! More to the tune of: "Sorry, your Asics AG01 is not compatible with Runkeeper"... thanks for writing etc. etc... 😔

Hmm - that is a bit crap. Am a programmer and they could recreate a program to make the data compatible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2020 at 6:42 PM, RaijinFJ said:

One major hitch though. After registering, you'll have to download an app to your phone to participate.

I never use my phone GPS to log my runs, I prefer using a GPS watch.. My watches are old models though (but still going strong, so why replace right?)and the software may not be compatible with Runkeeper 😅.

Previously I was using Runkeeper, a few years later I started using Garmin (until now), and the data on Garmin watch can be synced up to Runkeeper (can also be synced up to Strava). So now, I'm still using Garmin to record my run, then I can check the status from: Runkeeper, Garmin Connect and Strava... 🤣

Edited by ZZIZZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, wait a minute. It looks like none of us here actually read the information on their site. 😅

They’ll accept a screenshot of your GPS watch as proof, you’ll just have to manually enter the time into their race roster🤩🤩🤩

https://raceroster.com/events/2020/31601/village-roadshow-theme-parks-gold-coast-virtual-marathon/page/how-to-run-and-upload-result1

Actually, I find that much better than needing to download some app (that I don’t completely trust) to my phone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

Oh, wait a minute. It looks like none of us here actually read the information on their site. 😅

They’ll accept a screenshot of your GPS watch as proof, you’ll just have to manually enter the time into their race roster🤩🤩🤩

https://raceroster.com/events/2020/31601/village-roadshow-theme-parks-gold-coast-virtual-marathon/page/how-to-run-and-upload-result1

Actually, I find that much better than needing to download some app (that I don’t completely trust) to my phone. 

I ever ran HM using runkeeper to track the distance. I would say quite good considering the app is free.

Though I don't understand why at times the connection was lost or the app stops tracking if I place the hand phone in the arm band.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

Oh, wait a minute. It looks like none of us here actually read the information on their site. 😅

They’ll accept a screenshot of your GPS watch as proof, you’ll just have to manually enter the time into their race roster🤩🤩🤩

https://raceroster.com/events/2020/31601/village-roadshow-theme-parks-gold-coast-virtual-marathon/page/how-to-run-and-upload-result1

Actually, I find that much better than needing to download some app (that I don’t completely trust) to my phone. 

This is really good news as don't want to download this either. Have enough apps to work through without having duplicate apps :D Thanks for sharing :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heads up guys! I emailed the organizers for clarification on the rules.

According to them, your GPS must be kept continuously running the moment you start timing your race.
That means you're not allowed to pause it while waiting for the light to turn green at an intersection, taking a toilet break, or ordering food/drink to refuel at a convenience store, etc.

I wonder how that would be possible though, for those doing their virtual race on treadmills? 

Anyways, virtual races are on an honor system. There will inevitably be cheats out there, but as far as I'm concerned, I'll be doing the entire 26 miles & 385 yards (or even more, just for good measure 😜 )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

Heads up guys! I emailed the organizers for clarification on the rules.

According to them, your GPS must be kept continuously running the moment you start timing your race.
That means you're not allowed to pause it while waiting for the light to turn green at an intersection, taking a toilet break, or ordering food/drink to refuel at a convenience store, etc.

I wonder how that would be possible though, for those doing their virtual race on treadmills? 

Anyways, virtual races are on an honor system. There will inevitably be cheats out there, but as far as I'm concerned, I'll be doing the entire 26 miles & 385 yards (or even more, just for good measure 😜 )

Thank you very much for the update. Looking at the activity record on Runkeeper, there are 3 colors icons: Green color - start point, red color - finish point, gray color - pause points. Namely when you capture screenshot, the pause points are visible. But I'm just thinking whether or not this rule is reasonable... Anyway, the race doesn't count the time, only focus on the distance... namely it doesn't matter how fast or how slow we complete the races....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

Anyway, the race doesn't count the time, only focus on the distance... namely it doesn't matter how fast or how slow we complete the races....

I guess the main theme is just finish it then, I guess. 

I think that's fair enough. 🥰 Its just a virtual race after all. Setting new personal bests/records can wait till better days when we are free of this pandemic.

Just completed a 32km weekend LSD today for this. I plan on doing at least one more 32-37 km LSD next week, or the following week before I taper.

I just hope I don't regret it though 😔 Even if I just jogged at an easy pace, and am perfeclty fine without any soreness or cramps... these distances can really supress immunity, so we have to be doubly careful! I think I'll just isolate myself at home all Sunday tom and take Redoxon for a few days. 😇

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2020 at 10:09 AM, RaijinFJ said:

Heads up guys! I emailed the organizers for clarification on the rules.

According to them, your GPS must be kept continuously running the moment you start timing your race.
That means you're not allowed to pause it while waiting for the light to turn green at an intersection, taking a toilet break, or ordering food/drink to refuel at a convenience store, etc.

I wonder how that would be possible though, for those doing their virtual race on treadmills? 

Anyways, virtual races are on an honor system. There will inevitably be cheats out there, but as far as I'm concerned, I'll be doing the entire 26 miles & 385 yards (or even more, just for good measure 😜 )

Thank you for the update.. this is great information cause i am used to pausing my watch while waiting for traffic intersections or taking a toilet break.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...