Sign in to follow this  
simonleng

Mask Run during COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted (edited)

I hope everyone are staying healthy and safe during this COVID-19 period.

Just wondering if anybody is running with reusable mask during this period? 

wore my government issued "cori" masks for my runs and had to replace it twice with the CB period..

They are indeed not very durable...

Edited by simonleng

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, simonleng said:

wore my government issued "cori" masks for my runs and had to replace it twice with the CB period..

They are indeed not very durable...

yes, uncle ran with "cori" masks... reusable doesn't mean it is to be recycled for too many times after wash?

cori.md.jpg

Definitely, FOC "cori" issued is not really like the Trademark one...even after several washes...several is not unlimited...consumer one and not medical-related disposal...uncle understands if need to dispose after several washes, then better dispose lah...when, you start to smell funny...and after so many years of your life...finally you discovered your breadth really smell like s***....aiya..kidding with reasons...read on...

It is absolutely, quite "unbreathable" for Strenous Exercise (Run) especially if the chosen route is on Pavement (shared with Bikers/Walkers) and not PCN. Stoppages and dodging...good if you need to master "Kung Fu" stunts and steps to avoid close "safe distancing" measures, then you must wear mask always is to protect all on the Pavement with social distancing. Great.

Heavy breathing means you actually return the to the Clean Air (particles still stick to your breadth from your mouth) You Breathe Out...hopely you no Eat Mala Spicy Hot Food or Halal Rendang or Japanese Shuhi..before you do Exercise (Run)...

Importance on Wearing Mask Always along Pavement is you are always in close contact in a narrow path, unlike PCN where you can practice Safe-Distancing like 2 metres (practice in UK by @Lady Ice), as for Uncle 3 metres.

Every breadth you give out, there are lots of Bacteria (unless you are sure positive Virus named "Covid-19 Positive" is tested)...and you know Bad Breadth is caused by Bacteria, and not Covid-19 Postivie right? It is known, Covid-19 infection does let the host has the sensation of there is "no taste" after all...even tasting of lemon or lime is...what is that like nothing one...

bad-breath.jpg

straitstimes.com-Can-I-travel-to-a-park-

straitstimes.com-Can-I-travel-to-a-park-

Well, as uncle has been following strictly on the CB rules, wear Mask only if you are not Exercise (Run) on Not-A-PCN. Respecting the protocol, if forced to take Pavements (Not-A-PCN), then Exercise (Walk) and Wear Mask. Otherwise, Run (Exercise) without Mask.

As for your "cori" mask durability question, are you currently Exercise (Run) daily?  Then, it all depends on your Diet. Maybe can practice Safe Mouth Hygiene before Run (Exercise)....hopefully not disinfectant..like someone respectfully said as "joke"...that one time activity (distinfectant) makes sure...uplorry for untested Covid-19 virus (negative) looking for a host or someone's life that has nothing to do Covid-19 in the first place..just want to Exercise (Run). Sad.

Singaporeans to be given improved reusable masks in third nationwide mask distribution exercise

(info - https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/singaporeans-to-be-given-improved-reusable-masks-in-third-nationwide-mask)

mask3837665cd980b09c.jpg

Good news, looks more "cori"ed enough, don't you think so, from tomorrow onwards (26 May) for collection...vending machines.

Btw, it is time to dispose that FOC "cori"ed First One, which uncle still have. Yes, only uncle knew how bad breadth uncle had for life. At least uncle has that sensation of "bad" smell, better than no sensation at all...meaning only one thing...Covid-19 kena...aiyo..don't say suay thing...pui pui...aiyo cannot spit...aiyo never wear mask....fine, jail or both.

Wishes everyone are staying healthy and safe during this COVID-19 period.

Edited by kohpapa

4 hours ago, simonleng said:

I do.

The authorities in Singapore are a bit more enlightened- you’re exempt from wearing one during strenuous exercise, provided you run solo, but here we have to wear one at all times. I know its probably not effective compared to a medical grade mask, but if it reduces the risk by even just 3-5%, that matters. Besides, medical grade masks should be reserved for medical staff only.

I know other members have already posted Youtube videos in other threads about the guy who recorded a 10k run in his government issued mask, but I’ll also share my notes/observations if it may help other runners.

First of all, running in a mask is hard.

I’ve experimented with different types. I tried plain cotton, and even sacrificed an old race shirt for its technical fabric to craft a mask, but the results were the same. The moment it gets wet, it’s almost impossible to breathe.

What I use now is what we call in some parts of the world as a “buff”. Something like a scarf/tube stocking you slip on your neck and pull up to cover your mouth & nose. Most pictures on the internet are connected to commercial websites (and I’m not indorsing brands or selling products) but if you Google “buff mask” and select “images” from Google Search, you’ll come up with something like this so you can see what I’m talking about:

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=buff+mask&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi19aiO-c7pAhVPyYsBHQlFBSsQ_AUoAXoECAsQAw&biw=1366&bih=625

It’s the same though. The moment it gets wet with sweat or moisture from your breathing, it will impair the airflow so it gets hard to breathe, but I prefer it as it seems less restricting than a standard ear loop mask. It offers some sun protection too. Its fine during the first 20-30 min (around 5km) but beyond that, it gets progressively harder as it gets more and more damp. The sun overhead and the 32C heat here doesn’t help either. (I know its hot in Singapore too)

On one 25k long run, whenever I’d try to push the pace faster than 6 min/km (race pace for a slowpoke like me) I notice my heart rate goes up and I really struggle as my breathing gets heavier, but I can’t maintain the pace because it’s like breathing on a run through just one nostril.

I know this is contrary to what legendary coach Arthur Lydiard taught when he said:
Breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose. Suck the air in through your ears if you can!
but we didn’t have a pandemic at the time.

While there was also a report about a runner that died from a collapsed lung running in a mask in China, I’m pretty sure he had some other preexisting health condition. The stress from running in a mask probably just aggravated it, or he was just some novice who simply ignored the warning signals and still pushed too hard. Whether grizzled veteran or new runner, we must never forget the cardinal rule to always listen to our bodies.

My humble suggestion as a fellow runner is to experiment with what works for you. This is not the “new normal” as most people say nowadays, I consider running with some sort of face covering as a necessary evil for the time being, a “temporary normal” until a vaccine to this plague can be found.

What I’m going to experiment on now is bringing along 3-4 buffs in a pocket or tucked in a running belt, wrapped in plastic (to keep them dry) and changing into a fresh buff every 8-10k. That should be enough to last a marathon, but it just seems so tedious. This virus is really a royal pain…

By the way, I'll also share a link to an article in Runners World (if it's allowed in this forum. Admins., kindly edit if not) It seems pretty good: 

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a32380203/running-with-mask-impact-your-performance/

Hope to have helped.

Posted (edited)

Have tried running with a mask a little, but found it impedes taking in air if doing a hard run.  Have instead been giving people a 10 metre distance as well as running when there are fewer people outside (the dinner or lunch hour).

Though do note we might have to get used to running with a mask. Have been attending some seminars with run organisers (NYC, Chicago, Berlin, Singapore, etc) around the world who are toying with the idea to ask people to wear a mask in their events.... I'll try to write  a blog post to update every one of further thoughts.  Interesting that runnersworld have picked that up as well (thanks for the link @RaijinFJ)

Edited by Lady Ice

Posted (edited)

Perfectly clear on this in Sg...

very-clear.jpg

Covid-19: Should you be jogging or running with a mask on? Find out here

(info - https://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/health/jogging-running-surgical-mask-covid19-pandemic-6423602/)

indianexpress.com-Covid-19-Should-you-be

High-intensity run includes hilly terrain and that is why uncle should be better to not to wear mask. Only while in city/densely populated zone, and when Pavement is to be shared with Others, then Execise (Brisk Walk) and for the Protection of all, Wear Mask Always.

What is the type of Mask best suited for Exercise(Run)?  uncle.jpg

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, kohpapa said:

Singaporeans to be given improved reusable masks in third nationwide mask distribution exercise

(info - https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/singaporeans-to-be-given-improved-reusable-masks-in-third-nationwide-mask)

mask3837665cd980b09c.jpg

Good news, looks more "cori"ed enough, don't you think so, from tomorrow onwards (26 May) for collection...vending machines.

Btw, it is time to dispose that FOC "cori"ed First One

so 3x better (protection)...reuseable up to 30 times...face mask is here...

face-mask6b54722a2f6e327a.jpg

better protection against bacteria...organic cotton and quick dry fit...

dri-fit.jpg

at least the mask is can filter more "bad breadth"...great...next time when pool is opened, can swim with it....

Edited by kohpapa

I bought that exact brand, "Ultra Mask" face mask before the CB period, feels it is thicker than the reusable mask given on the first round of distribution. Tried to run with it and decided against it after half a klick. 

I prefer to run with a buff, to cover the mouth and nose area when passing other runner or people. 

9 hours ago, Arvin Tunas said:

I bought that exact brand, "Ultra Mask" face mask before the CB period, feels it is thicker than the reusable mask given on the first round of distribution. Tried to run with it and decided against it after half a klick. 

I prefer to run with a buff, to cover the mouth and nose area when passing other runner or people. 

looks like you ready to return to work after June 1...still actively in Exercise (Run) at North East (Pasir-Ris/Punggol/Tampines)...😷

11 hours ago, kohpapa said:

looks like you ready to return to work after June 1...still actively in Exercise (Run) at North East (Pasir-Ris/Punggol/Tampines)...😷

Not really, now need to comply with the guideline. It was issued on Monday and quite a lot of things to prepare the site before work can resume. So most probably will be working from home for another 2-3 weeks. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Arvin Tunas said:

Not really, now need to comply with the guideline. It was issued on Monday and quite a lot of things to prepare the site before work can resume. So most probably will be working from home for another 2-3 weeks. 

read on the updates (25 May), and this is one of lot of things to prepare the site before work can resume...

newbb831539a629ebb4.jpg

swab.jpg

it is going to take a while for you...stay safe and healthy...😷

Edited by kohpapa

On 5/25/2020 at 8:49 PM, Lady Ice said:

Have tried running with a mask a little, but found it impedes taking in air if doing a hard run.  Have instead been giving people a 10 metre distance as well as running when there are fewer people outside (the dinner or lunch hour).

Though do note we might have to get used to running with a mask. Have been attending some seminars with run organisers (NYC, Chicago, Berlin, Singapore, etc) around the world who are toying with the idea to ask people to wear a mask in their events.... I'll try to write  a blog post to update every one of further thoughts.  Interesting that runnersworld have picked that up as well (thanks for the link @RaijinFJ)

If a run requires mandatory wearing of mask, then I will just sit out till next year after a vaccine has been commericalized and we can all partake in a run without needing to wear one.

Posted (edited)

I find it hard as it is to just walk around with a mask on.

The thought of running with a mask absolutely horrifies me. 

Not to mention the constant fogging up of the glasses when you wear a mask. None of the so-called remedies to prevent fogging works. The best is to practice breathing out and blowing air downwards. 

Nowadays, I took out my glass when not needed if I'm wearing a mask. 

Edited by lonewolf

8 hours ago, beast said:

If a run requires mandatory wearing of mask, then I will just sit out till next year after a vaccine has been commericalized and we can all partake in a run without needing to wear one.

Or we have herd immunity. Do note there is no vaccine yet for SARS. Lots of “close” calls. In the mean time events will be evolving 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lady Ice said:

Or we have herd immunity. Do note there is no vaccine yet for SARS. Lots of “close” calls. In the mean time events will be evolving 

More than 33,100 COVID-19 tests carried out on pre-school staff, positive cases no longer infectious: MOH

(CNA News)

The results of the serology tests and polymerase chain reaction tests were “critically evaluated”, and evidence suggests that these are not active infections, but old infections...

channelnewsasia.com-More-than-33100-COVI

Events are evolving...herd immunity...

And this, of course, means that they are not infectious and there’s less of a concern.

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)

Better check....

wash.jpg

That brownish stained color plus description is most likely metal strip rust. Probably design fault didn't expect user to soak overnight and then starts to rust.

check.jpg

Of course, if you need to use it urgently for "washroom with no toilet paper" (a premium item now during covid-19)...

paper.jpg

then use it with no other choice, staining it with the real stuff...discard better...no need to rewash...for it has served the purpose...what a relief!

Really when nature calls, you may never know your when you "ultra (layered) mask" may come by useful...btw, please bring a backup mask, just in case, for you still need to Wear Mask Always after using the washroom....

next time toilet-train during Exercise (Run)....endure and stoppage all nature calls..like beyond 1km...3km...5km...

tanah-merah.png

then next time you can endure this route for 16km for just 1 "ultra mask"...for Exercise (Run Ultra!)..😷

Edited by kohpapa

Reports from the field:

Did three more runs this week. I reconfirm that as long as I keep the pace easy, I have no problems whether I use the buff mask or the one I crafted out of moisture wicking technical fabric (old race shirt).

Jogging pace just seems frustratingly slow as molasses though, but given the data posted by the others here, I'm convinced there's really a danger of getting a collapsed lung or a heart attack if you insist on pushing too hard with a mask on, so be warned!

If races do ever push through this Nov or Dec, I'll still wear a buff mask (for whatever its worth), even if it you're not required to wear one. I won't be breaking any PRs anytime soon, but that can wait for better times.

Long run planned this weekend... 

On 5/29/2020 at 9:18 AM, RaijinFJ said:

Reports from the field:

Did three more runs this week. I reconfirm that as long as I keep the pace easy, I have no problems whether I use the buff mask or the one I crafted out of moisture wicking technical fabric (old race shirt).

Jogging pace just seems frustratingly slow as molasses though, but given the data posted by the others here, I'm convinced there's really a danger of getting a collapsed lung or a heart attack if you insist on pushing too hard with a mask on, so be warned!

If races do ever push through this Nov or Dec, I'll still wear a buff mask (for whatever its worth), even if it you're not required to wear one. I won't be breaking any PRs anytime soon, but that can wait for better times.

Long run planned this weekend... 

Thanks for sharing.

While Cori Mask was more breathable than the fabric one, it is not durable.

I am going to get a buff mask for my daily runs right after the CB measures has been lifted tomorrow.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, simonleng said:

I am going to get a buff mask for my daily runs right after the CB measures has been lifted tomorrow.

Unless its Halloween though, I wouldn't recommend buying the ones with skull designs on the front😅
It unnerves a lot of people. You might give some old uncle or auntie a heart attack, especially if you run at night... 

313874092_BuffSkull.thumb.jpg.9700d316b3a357128606e62f2a3fe2f9.jpg

Edited by RaijinFJ
Note: Attached photo downloaded from internet may be subject to copyright of owner. Used for illustration purposes only.

On 5/31/2020 at 7:48 PM, RaijinFJ said:

Unless its Halloween though, I wouldn't recommend buying the ones with skull designs on the front😅
It unnerves a lot of people. You might give some old uncle or auntie a heart attack, especially if you run at night... 

313874092_BuffSkull.thumb.jpg.9700d316b3a357128606e62f2a3fe2f9.jpg

Haaaaa. no worries, i manage to find a plan colour buff the other day. hor sey liao, can run with ease liao  :)

Posted (edited)

One other thing. According to the WHO, the main point in the advisory to wear masks is not necessarily to protect you, but more actually to protect others from you (and the particles you may exhale). It’s like coughing or sneezing into a handkerchief when you’re unwell, which reduces the spread of droplets.

With that premise then, I probably wouldn’t recommend the use of those masks with exhaust ports either:

811735509_MaskwithExhaleVentNotes.thumb.jpg.30a848063fd705f8fa02b03dc3dbd832.jpg

Why? While the vent reduces breathing resistance, I presume it also allows whatever you breathe out directly through the vent which will reduce its capacity to protect others. I’d call it a “selfish mask”.

As to the buff masks, remember that its made of sheer, thin fabric (and almost useless), though I use it because its better than nothing. Wearing masks are still no substitute for social distancing however, and may give one a false sense of security. Unfortunately, many runners here in my country are also quite stubborn/hard headed too, so its better to just avoid people nowadays while on a run.

Edited by RaijinFJ
Note:Attached photo downloaded from internet may be subject to copyright of owner. Used for illustration purposes only.

On 6/4/2020 at 8:13 PM, simonleng said:

Haaaaa. no worries, i manage to find a plan colour buff the other day. hor sey liao, can run with ease liao  :)

Keep running Simon!

On 6/22/2020 at 10:33 AM, AutumnRunner said:

Keep running Simon!

i have tried running with a buff..... wet liao still the same as fabric mask..... :(

14 hours ago, simonleng said:

i have tried running with a buff..... wet liao still the same as fabric mask..... :(

haaa... i given up liaoz.... so running less these days to avoid the crowd..