Sign in to follow this  
Lady Ice

Covid 19 Challenges

Hi everyone!¬†ūü§ó¬†Was a bit preoccupied for a while preparing for the reopening of our office with the easing of lockdown restrictions.

The good news up over here is that we're (officially) being allowed to go out for exercise (with mask & proper distancing, of course). Conditions will be similar to circuit breaker levels over there in Singapore. I'm also expecting a lot of runners out and about, so I'm going to avoid my usual running routes.¬†¬†I'm still adding¬†the leg lifts & micro HIIT to my workouts¬†every other day.¬†ūüėČ

The bad news is, the danger is still there (COVID-19). The lockdown only slowed transmission rates and bought (some) time for authorities to put facilities in place, but I'm 100% certain there will be a resurgence with the easing of restrrictions.

With that in mind, I plan¬†on limiting¬†my long runs up to 21k at easy pace only, and no stressful interval runs, fartlecks or hillwork. There are no races ongoing, so even if I achieve my goal of improving my marathon PR/PB this year, there won't be a¬†race record to (officially validate/audit it) so I'll just focus on maintaing an acceptable level of fitness midway to my goal, but it will proably have to wait till 2021.¬†ūüėÖ¬†

Well, those are the breaks. The important thing is to stay healthy in the meantime. 

Posted (edited)

yoh, thought that you MIA because Covid-19 challenges too tough for you..great to hear that you are back, safe and healthy..

like most of us, here we are prepared to "return to work" after June 1, contact tracing apps (log-in and log-out) has been implemented, preventive measures protocol on new "Covid-19 workforce" with test-swab for samples of workforce (already started with pre-school staff).

Already declared, shall MIA officially from the forum thread after June 1, updates on current "challenges" shall be tapered... due to days in preparation to "back to work" had already started since this week...

Only 1 outstanding task -¬† preparing a not-so-virtual modified "Sundown Marathon 2020" run coming weekend..should be ready for at least 30K for this challenge (since having Routes plotted and updated)..after HIIT...target 40K for the 30-day Challenge as a Goal - Go for the Goal.¬†ūüė∑

final-hilly67fb92f7df44d5fd.jpg

Yesterday, did a 1-hour+ LSD Bukit-Timah Hill>>MacRitchie Reservior>>Bishan AMK Park>>Braddell>>Potong Pasir>>Kallang mostly under the hot sun (lots of Vit D)...**[15K LSD]

2 coming weekend Attempts (before June 1)

The "Sundown Marathon 2020 Hilly Ultra! Run 1" Anticlockwise route shall be Padang>>>West Coast Hyw (modified with Southern Ridges>>NUS)>>>Dover Road>>>Holland Road>>>Farrer Road>>Bukit Timah Road>>continue **[15K LSD]...[30K+ LSD]

The "Sundown Marathon 2020 Hilly Ultra! Run 2" Clockwise route shall be **[15K LSD] reversed Bukit Timah Road>>Farrer Road>>Holland Road>>Dover Road>> (modified NUS>>>Southern Ridges)>>>Padang ...[30K+ LSD]

Sundown - 1230pm starts...ūüė∑

Edited by kohpapa

13 hours ago, kohpapa said:

yoh, thought that you MIA because Covid-19 challenges too tough for you..

On 5/5/2020 at 2:16 AM, kohpapa said:

if need Tyres, can get @Lady Ice¬†for spares...ūüė∑

On 5/5/2020 at 3:37 AM, Lady Ice said:

...wah saying am fat izzit?

@Lady Ice Is it just me, or are some people here just naturally grumpy all the time?  What's with all the constant trash talk?

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/trash-talk

There may be some cultural thing, lost in translation that I may be not be getting here, but snide, snarky comments and put downs are probably universally considered rude, regardless of what country you're from.

If that's the general inclination here on this site, I'm not surpised runners don't bother to really post much in this forum...

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, RaijinFJ said:

If that's the general inclination here on this site, I'm not surpised runners don't bother to really post much in this forum...

well, nobody actually is putting down anyone here, just concerns and motivating...even @Lady Ice, also pointed uncle MIA on the daily count, but come on, it is her way of "encouraging" humourously, what snide, snarky comments and put downs..lol

@Lady Ice pulls Tyre for her run as she is completing her 100th Marathon run this year if not for the disruption due to Covid-19... that spare Tyre refers to if she has extra, could she let @Starfinder who stated his desire to signup for Spartan event...need Tyre to lift up to improve upper body strength...and "spare Tyre" is also a lingual to jokingly having "more fat"...

Come on, we may be culturally different, time zone different, but Covid-19 is REAL. The impact on us are real and universal, we had lost the freedom to do Exercise (Run), and good that in Singapore, we are able to Exercise (Run) outdoor.

Just sharing passion on running events or activities, for those who don't post, we know they are reading, otherwise, they would contribute. I'm not surpised runners don't bother to really post much in this forum. Well, if you don't, will they be bothered if you don't post?

Anyway, what others don't bother to post in this forum thread is really not important, because run is never essential during Covid-19. For many, all races are cancelled, so why run?

Having shared in previous post...there will be not more than 5 to be taking up Covid-19 challenges. Well, there are only four of us still in Covid-19 challenges?

Yes, after June 1, most including uncle need to work on Essentials that give us "bread and butter", because Exercise (Run) is no longer Essentials anymore. For some, they may have concerned reasons that Covid-19 may have "relieved" future jobs. For those who have business of their own, future business may not be able to "pick up" where they have left off. We seek to understand and must have empathy.

Just like Races which are considered as Non-Essential due to Measures of Social Distancing, Safe Distancing, Swab Testing, Vaccine Testing.

We must return to fight for our survival, for our families with real income, for real jobs, projects that are sustainable during Covid-19 for now these are Essentials. Not posting here on run matters are really "Non-essential", so we understand.¬†ūüė∑

Edited by kohpapa
  • Like 1

Bro RaijinFJ, 

Chill lah. That's the way Uncle and Lady Ice talks. But really they mean no harm nor being sarcastic. 

Btw, Lady Ice is actually 'Tyre Lady'. This is why 'tyre' is being mentioned. You can read more here: https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/motivation/a775712/why-this-runner-completes-marathons-dragging-a-tyre-behind-her/

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Let us move on to what is the main focus on this Covid-19 Challenges, and see everyone's progress in action...

progress.jpg

This is what transpired us on Day 1 (May 1st) with this google doc sheet, and all of us (including invitation to some) are still in progress towards Day 20 (May 20).

@starfinder¬†has kept on for most of all activities committed.¬†ūüĎŹ

As for Run after challenges...

run16a9563db1d96fda.jpg

Please note, we are not here to challenge on one another, and there is no specific "target" or "grumpy" or "snipe" towards one another.

MIA - Missing in Action, because there was no report for daily recording, so why there was "stoppage" or MIA. Concerns.

Uncle was asked for MIA, uncle replied, only days which will include Run after Challenges Workouts, So based on recordings Run Activitiy is consistent with Recordings of Exercises. Of course, uncle did left 1 day without Run because of Rain.

Of course, when Uncle asked for MIA from Bro RaijinFJ is for concerns on the challenges of the Exercises: Is it tough to follow the schedule since having to balance Work from Home, or Work from Office, or Social Activities needed during Covid 19.

Misunderstanding must be the reason for the exchange of words...tsk..tsk..tsk....very unnecessary.

Let your Actions do the Run. It has been uncle's philosophy since being as SgRunner.

Post on what you do for Run first, and the secondary on Off-Topic which can be social and just for fun.

If that's the general inclination here on this site, I'm not surpised runners don't bother to really post much in this forum...Yes, this is a Run forum. Respecting one's right to Post or Not To Post.

Especially in Covid-19, situation has changed so fast that Exercise (Run) is considered Essential (Self), but Non-Essential Race (Run) because it is now High Risk. It is understandable to most that why run if there is no Race? 

Remember, Exercise (Run) is for Essential (Self), so just be motivated to keep on going for stay healthy, stay fit always.¬†ūüė∑

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)

Aunty and uncle welcome you back @RaijinFJ :D We only have harmless banter between the 2 of us as verified by @starfinder (thanks bro & thank you for continuing on with the challenge - maybe can add 2 more on your total for situps and leg lifts?). Think you might have mixed us up with Runners World forum where people can put you down (I used to be on their forums and found runners there can be highly critical of others and very harsh).

We know each other on the forum for a good number of years and Uncle is always helping folk even in marathons (has helped me when I was struggling in the last SCSM). Have pulled tyres in 84 ultras/marathons and help organisations (like Sundown, SCSM, Geneva Marathon, Nice, etc) reduce the waste they generate. So he was suggesting I help @starfinder (which am happy to do if you want to pull tyres).... just my weird sense of humour got in the way.

So actually am well qualified to talk about trash ;)  But seriously - folk here are well meaning and do encourage each other.  

Sorry @kohpapa have been a bit slack at updating what have been doing. Thank you for reminding us all :D 

Edited by Lady Ice

2 hours ago, kohpapa said:

This is what transpired us on Day 1 (May 1st) with this google doc sheet, and all of us (including invitation to some) are still in progress towards Day 20 (May 20).

@starfinder¬†has kept on for most of all activities committed.¬†ūüĎŹ

Thanks Uncle. Actually I have been doing my runs every 2 day, but did not log into the spreadsheet as these runs are done not after these HITs. Before the CB, I usually do these HITs after the run at those fitness corner. LOL.

1 hour ago, Lady Ice said:
5 minutes ago, starfinder said:

Thanks Uncle. Actually I have been doing my runs every 2 day, but did not log into the spreadsheet as these runs are done not after these HITs. Before the CB, I usually do these HITs after the run at those fitness corner. LOL.

Sorry @kohpapa have been a bit slack at updating what have been doing. Thank you for reminding us all :D 

Thank you both for replying, and if @RaijinFJ could come back and to continue this journey...

Yes, remember if this is the week for Sundown Marathon 2020 (cancelled), this will be the week for something "challenging", what if Exercise (Run) and Workouts can be done in mid-night...ūüė∑

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, wwwlimlim said:

OhMyGod,

abs of steel.

@kohpapa, any training guide for SitUps? Thanks.

got, but first to measure your current "waist" size...hope it is not XXL...hope is not SPARE TIRE type

tarzen.jpg

Do you want 2-pack, 4-pack or 6-pack?  This explains 

Series of 1 to 6 workouts...

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)

@kohpapa - great videos..... will have to incorporate these into my training :D 

@WWWLimLim - come join in the challenge

Edited by Lady Ice

Posted (edited)

Being a SG Coach (Athletics), uncle had participated in both track and field events...especially in the Field events, where there are many variations of workouts and practicies for what the intentions are meant for the challenges.

Situps? there is no right or wrong way but what is the intention, if that is for abs, then do it right, not wrong, otherwise, you shall land up with back pain...

leg raise? ask yourself, what is the intention, do it the right way, not hip flexor...but crunch your abs supposed which is supposed to be the work out...you need lumbar extension...strengthen your hip actually...slow controlled...quality and not quantity

uncle had once been into pole vaulting with gynamstics training...of course, there will be the most challenge athletic (field) which will always be awesome to many...look at those abs...and run...pull...tag-in when hurling over the pole...release...drop..

It is about intention...repetition as slow as you can...create that tension and be specific...slower the better...

Just hope that all here be what they want to be..a great athlete besides being a runner...during Covid-19, there are many ways to express Exercise (Run) with Covid-19 Exercises...

Of course, uncle is still waiting for SWIM to be opened, which is quite unlikely to get started because of Social Distancing and Safe Distancing measures, and being in medium of perpetual fluid is always a high risk for Covid-19 outbreak.¬†ūüė∑.

Yes, uncle shall MIA from this forum thread after June 1... Essential (Work) is priority over Exercise (Run) and Covid-19 Exercises....

Edited by kohpapa

Thank you @kohpapafor the great information. Incidentally - after CCB - Normal has changed. Best to use this time to reboot expectations & think how to include social distancing measures and greet people + more

image.png

Even see bf/gf do behind screens
image.png
Here is the video from WHO to prepare countries to start thinking about the long term:

Essentially "This virus may never go away and we would have to learn to live with it"
There is no vaccine for SARS for example despite continuous research being done.

The Spanish Flu died out after 2 years and killing 50 million globally.

So everyone rethink, reboot and stay safe

Posted (edited)

Well today, had a short 5km familiarization run around Northern Territory...

north.jpg

Sembawang PCN to Yishun PCN (Lower Seletar PCN)...

looking forward to more mileage...if can extend Exercise (Run) to Mandai PCN to Central Catchment PCN..

25km.jpg

and Finish at Bukit Timah Hill...or....MacRitchie Reservoir...

Well, just take a break from ECP and Downtown Run...

Too bad, Sembawang HOT spring park is closed because of Covid-19...

otherwise, uncle can¬†"break"fast with boiled eggs..wash legs..and "SWIM"...ūüė∑

Edited by kohpapa

5 hours ago, kohpapa said:

Well today, had a short 5km familiarization run around Northern Territory...

north.jpg

Uncle, seems from your map you ran more than 5 km! 

I used to stay at the North area. Must say I find North area is pretty good place for cycling and running. Once CB is lifted, will do a cycling along the Rail Corridor. 

Wow @kohpapa that is an exciting development. Hope it is more successful

than the one that was on Palau Ubin.

@starfinder last year Dec the rail corridor still had works. Tried to cycle along there and had to go out to the road as I tried to head north. Let us know how you get on.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

rail corridor still had works. Tried to cycle along there and had to go out to the road as I tried to head north. Let us know how you get on.

green corridor...yes..uncle posted lots of wild explorations  and adventures here (past)

currently, the green corridor is still "development-in-progress" and uncle has run in the unofficial version...central (bukit timah railway stn) and parts of south bourna vista to bukit merah (tanjong pagar railway stn)..

5614072b2d793ba99.jpg

(info extracted - https://www.ura.gov.sg/-/media/Corporate/Media-Room/2019/Aug/pr19-38c.pdf)

0.jpg

198068a4678848519.jpg

272d0b2c81f4d4b4b.jpg

More info and facts from NParks...this is how the green corridor will be transformed...which uncle already ran on the rather "red" pavement designated for Walk/Runn only...bike path is development-in-progress...

Rail-Corridor-gallery-3.md.jpg

(info - https://www.nparks.gov.sg/railcorridor/rail-corridor)

nparks.gov.sg-National-Parks-page-001.jp

nparks.gov.sg-National-Parks-page-002.jp

nparks.gov.sg-National-Parks-page-003.jp

nparks.gov.sg-National-Parks-page-004.jp

nparks.gov.sg-National-Parks-page-005.jp

nparks.gov.sg-National-Parks-page-006.jp

If green corridor is incorporated with uncle's hilly ultra! run, then uncle would have a wider choice...in 2020...

1. Rifle Range Road >> Bukit Timah Hill >>> Mandai>..Ulu Sembawang >>.Woodlands

2. Rifle Range Road >> MacRitchie Reservoir>>.Kallang

3. Rifle Range Road >> Bukit Timah Railway Station >> .Tanjong Pagar Stn (Green Corridor)>>.South Ridge - NUS (this one will be 90% trail/hilly running)

@Lady Ice, maybe for the Covid-19 Challenges, we revive on Exercise (Run), and less on the Exercise Workouts, perhaps we can encourage more Exercise (Run) experiences and sharing....

Notice that sgRunners have become "less on Run topics" but more on Race topics - "pricing, entitlements, who is the Organizer"....because Race (Run) has become non-Essentials, and Race (Run) has a higher risk in future Covid-19 events organizing...expect Race (Run) topics to be lesser

Missing here is this forum, besides three of us in this forum sharing about passion in Run, Bike and Swim...wonder who else in SgRunners are actually still actively "engaging" in Exercise (Run)? I'm not surpised runners don't bother to really post much in this forum.

trash.jpg

We already know who are likely the top 3 writers for 2020...

Even uncle is leaving after writing (posting) too much garbage or trash in¬†this forum for 2020, so¬†after June 1, 2020 shall MIA because of Covid-19 ... counting down...haha...ūüė∑

Edited by kohpapa
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, starfinder said:

Uncle, seems from your map you ran more than 5 km! 

I used to stay at the North area. Must say I find North area is pretty good place for cycling and running. Once CB is lifted, will do a cycling along the Rail Corridor. 

the Northern Territory is heavily populated, with Pavement, PCN is split to Cycle Only and Walk/Run only. 

If you look at the map, some parts of the region are designated as Not A PCN. There are lots of Traffic Crossings. Exercise (Run) must be conducted in Wear Mask Always because Stoppages at Traffic Lights could be 5 mins. Pavement for Exercise (Run) is downgraded to Exercise (Walk), Wear Mask Always.

5km Run is Exercise (Run) was conducted only on PCN tracks. Non-run or Walk is for the massive stoppages along Not A PCN when connecting to PCN, and if you can look at the map again, you can wonder why. Discontinuity if you would want to connect to PCN to another PCN. So uncle had to skip other PCNs like Canberra-Sembawang PCN, Simpang Kiri PCN...and connect Yishun PCN (lower Seletar Reservoir)...notice again, Not A PCN means Pavement

north.jpg

Because of Covid-19, our golden rule for Exercise (Run) - do not run on Pavements applied because of Safe Distancing¬†ūüė∑

Of course with the familiarization run on Northern Territory, it will be better to Start from Khatib side of Yishun, then Mandai PCN and then Central Catchment PCN....Bukit Panjang, Zhenghua, Dairy Farm, Bukit Timah Hill...next time...could be this week...or next week...

Edited by kohpapa

@kohpapa yes, uncle, would be nice if you want to add green corridor to your many routes!

@Lady Ice With current situation, I think the last phase near Tanjong Pagar may not be completed within this year. If I do this cycling, I plan to start from Kranji and continue from the last stop near Tanjong Pagar onward to Sentosa and end at the southernmost point at Palawan Beach. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, starfinder said:

@kohpapa yes, uncle, would be nice if you want to add green corridor to your many routes! 

the green corridor south of the Bukit Timah Railway Stn is "quite in progress"....red pavement for hike/walk/run....so no need much updates on the 10.5km all the way to Tanjong Pagar Station...

But for to CCK side of green corridor from Bukit Panjang (aka Gombak) to Kranji via Yew Tee...being there before many years ago...mostly run...have not explored on the latest...but it is still "rail corridor" once...

So little time with Covid-19 CB going to be lifted soon....uncle would say, "Sure, may be soon..." like why not this weekend....for¬†Sundown Ultra! Run (Green Corridor) Trial 1....ūüė∑

Edited by kohpapa
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2020 at 11:22 PM, Lady Ice said:
23 hours ago, kohpapa said:

currently, the green corridor is still "development-in-progress" and uncle has run in the unofficial version...central (bukit timah railway stn) and parts of south bourna vista to bukit merah (tanjong pagar railway stn)..

5614072b2d793ba99.jpg

198068a4678848519.jpg

nparks.gov.sg-National-Parks-page-002.jp

nparks.gov.sg-National-Parks-page-006.jp

15 hours ago, kohpapa said:

the green corridor south of the Bukit Timah Railway Stn is "quite in progress"....red pavement for hike/walk/run....so no need much updates on the 10.5km all the way to Tanjong Pagar Station...

But for to CCK side of green corridor from Bukit Panjang (aka Gombak) to Kranji via Yew Tee...being there before many years ago...mostly run...have not explored on the latest...but it is still "rail corridor" once...

uncle would say, "Sure, may be soon..." like why not this weekend....for¬†Sundown Ultra! Run (Green Corridor) Trial 1....ūüė∑

last year Dec the rail corridor still had works. Tried to cycle along there and had to go out to the road as I tried to head north. Let us know how you get on.

Rail Corridor - 2021

(info extracted : https://www.straitstimes.com/sites/default/files/attachments/2019/03/28/masterplan-ura-map_-_billy4a-min.pdf)

masterplan-ura-map_-_billy4a-min-page-00

history.jpg

now uncle remembered why uncle ran to the CCK "crossing" - Stagmont Ring Road

henrycordeiro-stagmontringbridge-1989.jp

for that was then the Singapore-Kranji Railway...

Remembered then, there used to have five operational manned level crossings, three of which are closed by a barrier rather than a gate. The crossings are at Gombak Drive, Choa Chu Kang Road (the widest), Stagmont Ring Road, Sungei Kadut Avenue and Kranji Road.

Remembrance of once there was a railway operation in Singapore which ended on 30th June 2011...

That will¬†be the¬†rail corridor (aka green corridor)....to be ready by 2021...ūüė∑

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)

Ahhh @kohpapa - could also do a 5km virtual challenge league. Am involved in one at the moment. Has been hard work trying to beat my 5k times.  Must admit this non-run challenge has came me doing core work which am happy for :) 

@starfinder

did a perimeter island cycle. Can do in one day :)  

So thank you to both @KohPapa and @StarFinder for continuing with me. 

Edited by Lady Ice