SG RED DEVIL

RUN AS ONE SPORE (23 OCT - 01 NOV 2020)

Date: 23 October - 01 Nov 2020 

Venue: Marina Bay

Distance: 12.9KM, 5.6KM, 12.9KM + 5.6KM (For 1 runner only) & Team of 4 (4 Runners doing 12.9KM each)

COT:  Nil

FB: https://www.facebook.com/RunasOneSG

Registration: https://metasportevents.net/2020-runasonesingapore/select_competition

REPC: Prior to the race, you will receive an event shirt or singlet and hydration belt (unless you opted-out). These will be given to you in a socially distanced manner.

image.png.2ebc8420cadfac5b6862d1bee37dc697.png

Edited by SG RED DEVIL

$5 inflation. An expensive race gets more expensive. $70/$80/$85 for the HM is even more expensive than 2XU Compression Run. 

It was one of my streak races until I decided to give it up last year because of the inflated race fee. If there was no reason to join when it was $65, there's probably even less reason to join now that it's $70.

On 2/20/2020 at 1:01 PM, lonewolf said:

$5 inflation. An expensive race gets more expensive. $70/$80/$85 for the HM is even more expensive than 2XU Compression Run. 

It was one of my streak races until I decided to give it up last year because of the inflated race fee. If there was no reason to join when it was $65, there's probably even less reason to join now that it's $70.

I remember how this used to be one of the cheapest 10km run many years back. Now it has became one of the most expensive.

41 minutes ago, beast said:

I remember how this used to be one of the cheapest 10km run many years back. Now it has became one of the most expensive.

It was probably cheap previously because maybe CSC organised the event in-house.

Since 2018, they have out-sourced the race organisation to MetaSports. That was also the year they shifted the race from morning to evening. And also when the race fee increased sharply (mostly because they add in items most do not find useful). 

Luckily, they also stopped giving out ELM medals, else it would have been a more difficult decision to give up the streak. :crazysmile:

Edited by lonewolf
47 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

Luckily, they also stopped giving out ELM medals, else it would have been a more difficult decision to give up the streak. :crazysmile:

Subtitle: thank you for letting me make decision much easier...... 🤣🤣🤣

9 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

This is still one of the rare races in Singapore which is still holding the fort to carry on the race as there is no further announcements.

Yeah. As it is in Oct, the organizers are still waiting to see further covid-19 development. 

Yes, if it does, it will be the pioneer in Singapore and will set the benchmark for the other local races as well... so let's hope these 4 months will see better control / elimination of the virus for a safe "new norm" run....

Looks like the participants need to run at the designated venue, instead of anywhere (as most of the other virtual runs allow that), and the registration price is relatively still not low......... 😨

30 minutes ago, ZZIZZ said:

Looks like the participants need to run at the designated venue, instead of anywhere (as most of the other virtual runs allow that), and the registration price is relatively still not low......... 😨

I also feel that the price is not cheap.

As for the course, somehow I feel it is ok and somewhat better to run at the designated course at the Marina Bay, since it is a bay run. Feels more 'in syn' with the race.

3 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

Agree on the price being on the steep side... virtual run with medal and shirt costs about $20 usually... design nothing appealing, and don't need a hydration belt also...

And why is there $6 price difference for running a longer distance? The 12.8km lanyard costs more to make?

My guess for the steep price could be that, they are some possible logistics involved. I think they mentioned there is a "start" and "end" line/point/sticker, so perhaps there is some minimal logistics to setup the starting area precinct or something.

I also read that they will be giving out the medals on the spot, meaning there might be someone stationed there (if volunteers then it is FOC) to give out the medals at specific timings... 

The cost is high with respect to a typical Virtual race. Unsure if it is lower than the past years due to it being turned virtual. 

17 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

At least this is fair, as everyone will run the same distance or less. Other virtual run does not ensure same distance because of GPS inaccuracies. Do they use elapse time or moving time? Coz alot of strava runners takes moving time for pace calculation, while races takes elapse time.

26 minutes ago, Ender said:

At least this is fair, as everyone will run the same distance or less. Other virtual run does not ensure same distance because of GPS inaccuracies. Do they use elapse time or moving time? Coz alot of strava runners takes moving time for pace calculation, while races takes elapse time.

I think CSC is looking at the path where a runner runs... if it is the designated path and the distance falls within their percentage of allowance, they should still accept.... cause GPS inaccuracies is not the runner's fault....

Ambassadors will give out finisher medals during specific times, but if you run at a different time we will post your medal to you.

Oh boy, I sure hope crowds don't form up during these times so that they can get a mass run feel that they sorely missed.

Also, hiring such ambassadors just to give out finisher medals is not necessary and just add costs to the runners that are not justified. 

I can already foresee this happening: They have ambassadors on the first day, but due to the crowd forming, they have to cancel ambassadors for the rest of the period. But the costs of hiring those ambassadors already factored in into the fees....

Edited by beast
9 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

I think CSC is looking at the path where a runner runs... if it is the designated path and the distance falls within their percentage of allowance, they should still accept.... cause GPS inaccuracies is not the runner's fault....

If everyone follows a designated path, that means everyone will run roughly the same course, i.e same distance +- a few cut corners. That's what i meant. This way is what CSC is doing which  is fairer as opposed to other virtual runs organiser which just requires runners to submit their tracking log for their medals.

What would be more fair is to only allow the use of elapse time.