Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

COVID-19 and its impact on Races

@lonewolf agree environment is a low priority for many..... but the young who have campaigned for governments to respond to a climate emergency will be seeing this differently.

@RaijinFJ agree - a rethink by all our societies

Here is Bill Gates at TedEx bringing a warning in 2015

Posted (edited)

Update for the postpone Forest Force 50

Overly optimistic. I think there is a high probability that the situation won't stabilise by Jun. 

Edited by lonewolf

Japan Olympics also very optimistic. Sadly don't think it will happen. Wonder if they can postpone to autumn?

7 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Japan Olympics also very optimistic. Sadly don't think it will happen. Wonder if they can postpone to autumn?

The IOC is a joke. If you ask me, the money politics of the modern Olympics has sadly move so far away from its sporting ideal that I COVID-19 will eventually sound the death knell for the Olympics movement.  Think about it, we spend billions every 4 years for a few fleeting 2 weeks of headline-grabbing, glory-hoarding and hero-worshipping. 

I understand the economics of the modern Olympics but when you see what happen to the host cities post-Olympics and those expensively-built gleaming multi-million dollars sporting venues, you have to stop and ask yourself whether it was worth it. 

1393663827_COVID-19(1).thumb.jpg.1bae3c3dc552038267e660a722c780c1.jpg

Haha @RaijinFJ - may come to that. Hope your govt is taken tough measures. Ask them to look at Singapore, South Korea and now China.

@lonewolf - some countries have also done okay from the Olympics. Humans need to be inspired to get off their arses and the Olympics does at least achieve that. Getting countries to compete against each other helps national unity. Perhaps at this point, postponing the Olympics to say 2 years later would be an adaptable thing to do so that Japan has not simply wasted resources.  Many events we participate in have also had to spend money and then cancel. (outlay is on t-shirts, medals, administration, bank charges if nothing else)

@kohpapa - despite all and in my worldly view, Sg govt is one of the best govts (if not the best) in the world. Yes there are many rules and regulations and they are strict and rightly so for the people. You are in safe hands and doubt there will be a lock down whereby you cannot go to the park. There are still many Europeans who are unable to understand what is going on / do not consider this serious, hence covid continues to spread. Sometimes govts have to be hard and Sg is not afraid to do so despite the potential economic consequences. Italy is only learning to do so, and so will the rest.

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2020 at 2:56 AM, Lady Ice said:

Will the Summer Olympics be canceled because of the coronavirus?

(info - https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/25/ioc-member-coronavirus-olympics-cancelation-117434)

politico.com-Will-the-Summer-Olympics-be

decision can be made in May...

On 3/21/2020 at 9:11 PM, Lady Ice said:

@kohpapa - despite all and in my worldly view, Sg govt is one of the best govts (if not the best) in the world. Yes there are many rules and regulations and they are strict and rightly so for the people. You are in safe hands and doubt there will be a lock down whereby you cannot go to the park. There are still many Europeans who are unable to understand what is going on / do not consider this serious, hence covid continues to spread. Sometimes govts have to be hard and Sg is not afraid to do so despite the potential economic consequences. Italy is only learning to do so, and so will the rest.

thank you, for we enjoy the freedom not to be lockdown like many countries...and yes, the PCNs (Park Connector Networks) and NPs (National Parks) are not lockdown like in Italy...otherwise, we will not be able to enjoy active walk/jog/run/bike freely...

Jogging, park walks banned as alarmed Italian regions impose more coronavirus restrictions

(info - https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/coronavirus-covid19-italian-regions-restrictions-12561836)

channelnewsasia-com-Jogging-park-walks-b

channelnewsasia-com-Jogging-park-walks-b

sorry @Lady Ice, uncle has declared last post in this forum thread so that we can carry on with the implications on races by Covid-19..and uncle presented this...the impact on WMM races..

race19990c241aea2892e.jpg

and since uncle is here again OMG!...impact on races in Singapore reported now is...

According to 13th March :

advisory.jpg

race00be06c9d6ee9405c.jpg

race1c21e4a01d423c420.jpg

** Tri-Factor Singapore Series

trifactor.jpg

will be updated here...

Update - July to December 2020 (announced and inclusive of new dates of postponed events reported)

reasona7b2c3c39bbc53d1.md.jpg

(info - https://forceofnaturesg.com/)

(extract info - https://www.justrunlah.com/calendar-of-running-events-singapore/)justrunlah.com-Running-Calendar---Singap

justrunlah.com-Running-Calendar---Singap

justrunlah.com-Running-Calendar---Singap

hoping that Covid-19 will not be disruptive for the 2nd half of 2020 races...😷

just to say hello, how are you?...Haha @RaijinFJ - may come to that. Hope your govt is taken tough measures. Look like you maybe overseas and not able to come to Singapore...😷

thank you @Lady Ice for inviting uncle to reply here in this forum thread... have a safe return with your family when Covid-19 is free from us 😷

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)

Yep, my whole city is under lockdown right now. The oldest person in our neighborhood said she hasn't seen anything happen like this since the Second World War... and she was only 8 years old in 1941 (bless her!) She said she's ready to go if the bug gets her, but all the neighbors and her family hope not! 😟

It's too bad I can't come over for a while, but we all have a part to play in stopping this germ! 😷

They ought to postpone the Olympics till next year too... probably unthinkable, but in my opinion, they'd be crazy not to. The Olympics is meant FOR humanity right? 🤔 Then it can wait, because we've got a bigger problem on our hands right now.

Edited by RaijinFJ

16 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

They ought to postpone the Olympics till next year too... probably unthinkable, but in my opinion, they'd be crazy not to. The Olympics is meant FOR humanity right? 🤔 Then it can wait, because we've got a bigger problem on our hands right now.

IOC to start discussions on possible Tokyo 2020 postponement

(info - https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/ioc-to-start-discussions-on-possible-tokyo-2020-postponement-12566000)

channelnewsasia.com-IOC-to-start-discuss

channelnewsasia.com-IOC-to-start-discuss

Decision to be soon...

Thank you @kohpapa family is in sg.... Me in UK and miss the proactive actions of the sg govt.

Will stay here until this is over as don't want to infect anyone..... anyway at some point we all will have to develop an immunity to this or get a vaccine when it comes out in maybe 18 months. Am expecting if the SCSM does run it will mainly be locals + anyone who can prove they have had covid and are no longer a risk.  So numbers will be down.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lady Ice said:

Thank you @kohpapa family is in sg.... Me in UK and miss the proactive actions of the sg govt.

Will stay here until this is over as don't want to infect anyone..... anyway at some point we all will have to develop an immunity to this or get a vaccine when it comes out in maybe 18 months. Am expecting if the SCSM does run it will mainly be locals + anyone who can prove they have had covid and are no longer a risk.  So numbers will be down.

just to bring into this forum thread what @Lady Ice  and uncle had discussed as "off-topic" at SDSM 2020...

sgrunners.com-Sundown-Marathon-Singapore

sgrunners.com-Sundown-Marathon-Singapore

ALL can now discuss here, what every sgRunner and community can do more to be Covid-19 free...implications on FUTURE races...

Yes, the realtiy check is OFFICIALLY, all races for the First Half in 2020 have been Postponed and Cancelled...all respecting the lockdown or restrictions imposed by local authority because of Covid-19...

uncle shared..still maintaining but not too exhaustive, injury free, but yet active "race-ready" program...

Why to Train Like You’ll Be Racing—Even When You Won’t Be

(info - https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a31673148/train-like-you-will-race/)

runnersworld.com-Why-to-Train-Like-Youll

of course, uncle is looking forward to SCSM 2020 [yet to be announced]...so all here can be inspired to be "race-ready"...

lastly, we wish @Lady Ice, now safe at UK, and will be reunited safely with family (now in SG, safe) soon..

we know you are strong and surely...we are very envy (very jealous also) of your epic shot with this guy...our Singapore and SEA Marathon Champion...wah...Soh Rui Yong...

tyrelady.wordpress.com-Singapore-Maratho

when and until we are "Covid-19 free" or if there is a vaccine for ALL soon, we should expect many "sanitized" actions required of everyone for future races...

our lifestyle..how Covid-19 has inflicted such worldwide epidemic...due to our past actions...we are taking a "pause"...reflection...can we do more?

Reflections...shared... uncle has adopted Zero Waste for all tees and medals for years...simply if the World can take time to reflect what these "tangibles" are made of...look at the carbon footprints used to make them...and become disposals later....leaving another trails of carbon footprints...

Relooked at Bin It During The Run, Keep It Clean For All...BYOB (Bring Your Own Bottle) or Cupless at races...

DIY Trash...Virtual Races...Gaming (Running Race) Playstation... Social Distancing...

Edited by kohpapa

Thank you @kohpapa. 😘😘 Thankfully have a lot of open space around me and can work from home. Will do some virtual marathons and start challenging you all 👍🌻😎🥳

UK coronavirus: Boris Johnson announces strict lockdown across country

(extract info - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/mar/23/uk-coronavirus-live-news-latest-boris-johnson-minister-condemns-people-ignoring-two-metre-distance-rule-in-parks-as-very-selfish)

Cannot go out; Work from home; Shopping for basic items only; Use food delivery services; Police to enforce; Stop more than 2 people in gathering in public; One form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household; Say No if your friends ask you to meet...

theguardian.com-UK-coronavirus-Boris-Joh

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2020 at 9:27 PM, kohpapa said:

Will the Summer Olympics be canceled because of the coronavirus?

(info - https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/25/ioc-member-coronavirus-olympics-cancelation-117434)

IOC member says 2020 Tokyo Olympics will be postponed because of coronavirus pandemic

(info - https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2020/03/23/olympics-2020-ioc-member-tokyo-games-postponed-dick-pound-coronavirus/2899848001/)

usatoday.com-IOC-member-says-2020-Tokyo-

usatoday.com-IOC-member-says-2020-Tokyo-

tokyo.jpg

Decision very soon...only from the IOC and Tokyo organizers....

If the decision is to postpone, WMM XIII Series shall be updated as....

WMM1.jpg

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)

So now @KohPapa you see people prefer directions rather than wishy washy advice. The UK people petitioned the government to enforce a lock down so that we do not follow Italy's death rate.... but we are now locking down at roughly the same time as Italy! As they say here - the horse has already bolted!

New Zealand has done good, taking strict decisive action.

Good that the Olympics has been postponed. Now how to stay fit and not fat ;)

Edited by Lady Ice

Just sharing this article:

https://chroniclet.com/news/207203/local-runners-feel-the-burn-of-boston-marathon-postponement/

This sums it up nicely though:

"It hurt when they canceled it, but as a health care provider I can’t agree more because standing here now we need to be doing this," she said. "We need to put ourselves aside to save others. As hard as that is, because I’m throwing away months of training, it’s the right thing to do"

And for the non-runners lurking/reading our posts here, yes, there are other things we do aside from running, we've got jobs, careers and family, but when we come together on this forum, we talk about our running. Don't "knock it" because who knows, you might like it 😜 And even if you don't... well, at least we do, so leave us be! 😅

I guess it's what John Bingham once wrote about when something derails your running plans (injuries, work, other responsibilities)... sometimes "life just gets in the way". 😉 And in thie case of this pandemic, life (yours and other's) must take priority. 😉

2 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

So now @KohPapa you see people prefer directions rather than wishy washy advice. The UK people petitioned the government to enforce a lock down so that we do not follow Italy's death rate.... but we are now locking down at roughly the same time as Italy! As they say here - the horse has already bolted!

New Zealand has done good, taking strict decisive action.

Good that the Olympics has been postponed. Now how to stay fit and not fat ;)

We're going into enhanced lockdown mode here, so no more long runs for me for the time being. One member of each household is allowed to go out to make supply runs (supermarket and pharmacy) at designated hours, but they're discouraging people from going out for any other reason (allegedly even for solo runs) so I'm going to do my part so we can win this struggle.

I'll be now doing loops back and forth my in living room for 30-40min every other day, but anything longer than that would be insane (like the guy who ran a marathon).I've also got some free weights and a spin bike too. It sucks, but for those runners under "house arrest" 🥴 its not the end of the road! I hope this'll inspire others not to turn into couch potatoes too. There's no shame in that. I'll do what I please in my house right? It'lll help keep you "sane" also LOL!

I now regret NOT buying that treadmill 😅 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RaijinFJ said:

We're going into enhanced lockdown mode here, so no more long runs for me for the time being. One member of each household is allowed to go out to make supply runs (supermarket and pharmacy) at designated hours, but they're discouraging people from going out for any other reason (allegedly even for solo runs) so I'm going to do my part so we can win this struggle.

I'll be now doing loops back and forth my in living room for 30-40min every other day, but anything longer than that would be insane (like the guy who ran a marathon).I've also got some free weights and a spin bike too. It sucks, but for those runners under "house arrest" 🥴 its not the end of the road! I hope this'll inspire others not to turn into couch potatoes too. There's no shame in that. I'll do what I please in my house right? It'lll help keep you "sane" also LOL!

I now regret NOT buying that treadmill 😅 

sharing from our Local and SEA Champiom Marathoner, we call him simply SRY...Soh is supposed to coach an infuencer celebrity Novita Lam for her first marathon at Tokyo Marathon 2020...

previously on SKY's Training Tips: Improving speed and form

facebook.com-Soh-Rui-Yong-page-001cadfa0

of course, the Tokyo Marathon 2020 was cancelled...so 21st March...

Document-page-001c7213de3032eab6e.md.jpg

Document-page-0024279ec0ef18def11.md.jpg

Document-page-003.jpg

smile, @RaijinFJ, yes, you should have bought that treadmill...sorry bro...and take care...please continue to share....

btw, the nice lady of course is not in your wish list right on the treadmill? since you are really "sucked" under "house arrest"...and there is no one beside you in the "house arrest"?..😷

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

Just sharing this article:

https://chroniclet.com/news/207203/local-runners-feel-the-burn-of-boston-marathon-postponement/

This sums it up nicely though:

And for the non-runners lurking/reading our posts here, yes, there are other things we do aside from running, we've got jobs, careers and family, but when we come together on this forum, we talk about our running. Don't "knock it" because who knows, you might like it 😜 And even if you don't... well, at least we do, so leave us be! 😅

I guess it's what John Bingham once wrote about when something derails your running plans (injuries, work, other responsibilities)... sometimes "life just gets in the way". 😉 And in thie case of this pandemic, life (yours and other's) must take priority. 😉

just extract from your article of interest:

pain.jpg

chroniclet.com-Local-runners-feel-the-bu

chroniclet.com-Local-runners-feel-the-bu

well, it is good to let off your reason for why Covid-19 really impact on Racer...

And for the non-runners lurking/reading our posts here...actually these are ex-sgRunners who are still faithfully reading this forum, not because of you and I, it was for the reason, they once loved "running" and once they were like us "passionately" about bonding with the running community when during then, there was no social media, but what do you know...forum in place of Whatsapps, FaceBook, Blogs, Instagram....they were very actively...engaging with one another...organising meetups weekly...some almost keeping with one another during UNI time..yes, before married...now with Family, Career, and of course, reading here to find out...how and why, Covid-19 can really impact races and even runners globally.

thank you for your sharing on thoughts of John Binghamjohn.jpg

there were times of  "life just gets in the way". 😉 And in thie case of this pandemic, life (yours and other's) must take priority. 😉.

thank you again..non-runners lurking/reading our posts ...you are not really lurking...but really once you had been actively here, and we just be the voice of once you have been very actively here at sgRunners...🤗

Edited by kohpapa